Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I was thinking about buying a subscription to the Washington Post to try and support real journalism, but lol at that fake "Russian propaganda" story that they published.

Is it worthwhile to try to support these established and well-recognized news organizations, even though almost all of them have been complicit in our current media trainwreck? I don't want my :10bux: going towards lovely journalism, but I also don't want the true crackpot news organizations to push out the more legitimate ones that are at least attempting to bring out the truth.

Every media organization fucks up occasionally. If you wait for the newspaper that has never been wrong, you'll never subscribe to anything. The Facebook fake news scandal is about sources that are *always* wrong or dishonest, not those that are occasionally hoodwinked.

Just reading a "reliable source" doesn't mean you don't have to engage your critical thinking skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

So, articles right now aren't pushing what could be called outright fake news, but more of the FAU "falsehood slipping alongside truth" in headlines is taking place regarding Pizzagate in the states and it's pissing me off, and it's anger directed at my side of the political spectrum. Headlines are trying to tie Pizzagate directly to violence here:

Now you know how Muslims feel.

Perhaps you should try denouncing the violence?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

Fake news is just a new name for Click-bait which is basically just yellow journalism which is standard behavior in mainstream journalism since Hearst vs Pullizer.

Not really. Clickbait is generally news that is true-ish but has a misleading headline. Fake news is outright made up. Hard to believe, but just prior to the election there was a LOT of 100% fake stories circulating right-wing Facebook.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Unbalanced people definitely take their cues from society's ideas. About half the "lone wolf" Islamic terrorists out there are "inspired" by the likes of ISIS rather than being part of an organized terrorist cell, but somehow the Islamist masterminds never get let off for the fact that their orders were not given directly.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tim Raines IRL posted:

At a really simplistic level, I think WaPo/NYT are taking this personally because it helps them deflect their own shortcomings, "our subscriptions are down because everyone is getting hoodwinked by all this fake news". Nope, your subscriptions are down because you've been doing a lovely job for a decade and a half, possessing an inability to understand and keep up with tech changes along with a more toxic inability to distance yourselves from the technological/corporate/military complex that you claim to be policing with journalistic integrity.

Fake news is really cheap to write because it doesn't require any actual reporting.

Man this poo poo makes me almost convinced to subscribe to the NYT. I can't stand this "more cynical than thou" crap.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

boner confessor posted:

it's not really "more cynical than thou" to point out that it's trendy to complain about fake news when fake news outlets have been a thing for a long time - drudge has been around since the 90's, drudge spawned breitbart in the late aughts, there have been threads making fun of clickbait for years, and that's just on the internet. tabloids have been around forever, people have made fun of cable news for more than a decade, etc. the onion is nearly thirty years old. it's kind of ironic that fake news is a big problem now that the audiences of real news outlets are fishing around for a reason they lost the election

It's more "cynical than thou" because it's conflating the establishment press's mistakes and bias with the right-wing nonsense factory's deliberate lies. I'm not saying they are lies because I don't agree with them politically - they are actually reporting on things that they made up entirely, like fiction.

The Onion fake news? Blimey, that's a bit of a stretch. It clearly and deliberately labels itself satire. But of course, both sides are exactly the same, right? You win the cynicism contest, have first prize.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sorry if I came off as hostile but that just struck me as a really weird way to treat a for-profit business owned by a billionaire tech mogul.

If you want quality consumer products, you need to actually buy them. If you praise the health-food cafe down the road but never go there (McDonalds is cheap and tasty) don't whine when it closes down.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

boner confessor posted:

the point is, it's pretty silly for the establishment to decry how the fake news sites cater to their audience's demands when the establishment itself is responding to its audience's demand for reassurances that fake news is bad when making fun of fox news etc. has been a staple of this forum since at least 2005 as just the most local example of people making fun of fake news. it's the same principle as the drug war being a problem once suburban white kids start getting addicted to heroin instead of poor downtown black kids. no, it's always been a problem. the question is why is the conversation happening now when it should have happened sooner. people didn't go on about the fake news ecosystem when john kerry got swiftboated, they talked about that specific example

Fox News isn't fake news - just heavily biased. Not the same thing! The swiftboat thing was definitely early fake news. People didn't talk about the fake news ecosystem back then because it wasn't a thing yet. It needed every right-wing uncle to be on Facebook and Twitter to have enough of an audience. One fake article isn't a trend, but this year it has become a trend. There's a deluge of them.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I love the Fortean Times. It's a journal of weird stuff, like frog rain and people who woke up at their own funeral. Conflating it with the type of "fake news" that people are het up about now is very... odd. One might think that someone was trying to muddy the waters a little...

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

boner confessor posted:

"this fake media which i understand as satire is both cool and good, unlike the fake media that the simpletons consume to cater to their preferences"

Oooh, these waters are getting a bit muddy alright. I'd better wear some wellies.

You know what people mean by "fake news", right? It's those 100% made-up Facebook forwards with a strong political focus?

*Exactly* the same as some fluff about an Indonesian guy who found a picture of Elmo in his toast in the Fortean Times. Good grief. You think people are falling for this "both sides are the same" bullshit?

I bet if Donald Trump shot someone in broad daylight on 5th Avenue, you'd be all like "But once, Hillary Clinton shoved another kid in the sandbox when she was 5 and cut his lip! BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME!"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Mulaney Power Move posted:

haven't there also been d&d threads that have tied politicians to pedophile rings? since when did this become a specific neonazi thing?

It is an actual thing that actually happened in the UK. When something that sounds like a conspiracy is proved to be true, conspiracy theorists go absolutely crazy trying to hang it on everyone they don't like.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10950111/The-alleged-paedophile-ring-at-the-heart-of-the-British-Establishment.html

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Politicians in the US or other places besides the UK have never been tied to pedophile rings? Are you quite sure?

Reading comprehension, dude. I was providing an example of a place where it *did* happen, not saying it could never have happened anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Pizzagate is ridiculous because it's a cartoonish satanic panic thing. There are real pedophile rings among the rich and powerful, but nothing so supervillain as kids chained up in the basement of a pizza parlor/performance art space. It's more like a man in power overawing a kid and his parents and using this influence to abuse the kid and "lend" him to his friends. That's how it worked in the UK. That's how it worked at Penn State. Someone in the US government is probably doing it right now, but it's probably not the guy you really wish it was, the guy who you really disagree with politically.

• Locked thread