Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Pizzagate is almost certainly a propaganda effort to radicalise mentally unstable people into violence.
As someone who's had a hobby of reading conspiracy nutter forums on and off for years running, I think this is just as paranoid and nutty a thing to say as 2/3rds of the poo poo in the pizzagate voat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

last I heard, the NSA was keeping a couple agents doped on DMT 24/7 just so they can keep an eye on the Anteroom and keep undesirables out of the Black Lodge. Which is, totally, loving up the vibe for everyone else.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I think anyone taking the "fake news" stories at face value is living on a different planet than I am.

It's a real problem. It's not a new problem. The idea that it's restricted to the far right is pretty dumb, as well, and belies a lack of exposure to large parts of the internet. The inability of basically competent, if domesticated, institutions like WaPo or NYT to self-reflect on this with even a modicum of self-awareness -- just shows that they have become more part of a constructed narrative than they are "free press".

At a really simplistic level, I think WaPo/NYT are taking this personally because it helps them deflect their own shortcomings, "our subscriptions are down because everyone is getting hoodwinked by all this fake news". Nope, your subscriptions are down because you've been doing a lovely job for a decade and a half, possessing an inability to understand and keep up with tech changes along with a more toxic inability to distance yourselves from the technological/corporate/military complex that you claim to be policing with journalistic integrity.

I realize that's a bit vitriolic, but this whole meme strikes me as media navel gazing, rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic without paying attention to the hull breach. "Fake news" is a reflection of the failure of traditional journalism, not the reason for it.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Man this poo poo makes me almost convinced to subscribe to the NYT. I can't stand this "more cynical than thou" crap.

I subscribed to WaPo recently because as much as I could write paragraphs about all the ways I think they're hosed up, they need the money. Also I was annoyed by constantly having to use incognito windows to read reddit links.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You talk about the Washington Post like it's a fuckin charity.

There are actual nonprofits out there that do actual good reporting. Donate to one of them.

you're assuming a lot, but thanks for the tip

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

boner confessor posted:

it's kind of ironic that fake news is a big problem now that the audiences of real news outlets are fishing around for a reason they lost the election
I think the word is "obvious", not "ironic".

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sorry if I came off as hostile but that just struck me as a really weird way to treat a for-profit business owned by a billionaire tech mogul.

I donate to some number of NPOs and have worked for a couple in the past so am familiar with that world. I would also describe myself as basically pro-for-profit buisness, if not completely pro-billionaire tech mogul. Certainly, multi-millionaire tech moguls have paid for my lifestyle for much of the past decade, so it's hard for me to look down my nose too hard at Bezos without seeing my own flabby belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

It is an actual thing that actually happened in the UK. When something that sounds like a conspiracy is proved to be true, conspiracy theorists go absolutely crazy trying to hang it on everyone they don't like.

Politicians in the US or other places besides the UK have never been tied to pedophile rings? Are you quite sure?

while most/all of pizzagate is schizophrenia and not evidence of some vast conspiracy, the idea that the extremely wealthy and powerful don't get their most extreme fetishes satisfied strikes me as naive. I don't believe the ridiculous illuminati/super-cabal theory. I think there are probably all kinds of politicians and superrich people diddling kids, I bet some of them do it in groups, but I'd be sorta shocked if there was a top-down structure where you pay $10k to be a Level-1 Illuminati Kid Diddler and then $100K to be a Level-2. So, that's where the pizzagate narrative immediately runs off the rails, but the starting premise of ".01%ers are probably doing all kinds of illegal poo poo all the time and not getting in trouble for it" seems like a no duh.

Having spent as much time as I have reading conspiracy forums, it would take a lot to convince me that "neo-nazis" are more likely to engage in "politicians are not just evil but actually supervillians" than people of other ilks. Schizophrenia doesn't break down along party lines afaik.

• Locked thread