Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Badger of Basra posted:

That article seems to say that the problem is they don't have enough drivers, rather than that the ones they do have are a huge drain on their budget.
And if a governmental agency can't fill jobs it's usually due to a couple of reasons: a)They don't have the money or b)the positions are actually lovely and the benefits/pay are terrible relative to the job (although this can often be tied to reason a).

It doesn't matter if you have the smartest self-driving buses in the world if you don't have the tax revenue to pay for their purchase, upkeep, and maintenance.

e: To expand on this a bit more, you often see people complaining about a sales/gas tax hike to pay for transit. People abloo bloo-ing about a tenth of a cent that will add light rail or more buses because they "don't use them" even though it benefits you as a driver when there are fewer cars on the road.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Fleet services can (conceivably) come from a larger regional maintenance pool so funding upkeep may be easier, while bus drivers are more specialized. Purchasing in my experience is a whole other budget. Driver shortage could also be a result of lack of qualified people which can tie to low pay but depending on market conditions a regional might not be able to compete for drivers.

Also my local bus drivers are terrible drivers so anything to keep them away from the wheel is a win. They can even keep their job managing the bus/passengers while it's rolling, it'd probably keep the buses on time if they were helping people use the bus.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 17, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

That article seems to say that the problem is they don't have enough drivers, rather than that the ones they do have are a huge drain on their budget.

Inflexible expensive labor forces become a bottleneck during budget squeezes. The two things are intrinsically connected.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Inflexible expensive labor forces become a bottleneck during budget squeezes. The two things are intrinsically connected.
They should hire cheap scabs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Bus labor is expensive and "inflexible" because both CDLed drivers and auto maintenance workers are skilled tradesmen that can often walk away and get a job in the private sector. Even if automation reduces the need for drivers, you'd still need maintenance workers to service a bus fleet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Oldest Man posted:

the bigger problem is the budget squeeze

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

boner confessor posted:

the bigger problem is the budget squeeze

No it's surely those lazy slobs who want a living wage. If only we could purge ourselves of these untermensch who demand to eat and live on the real earner's dime, then we could have a technological utopia.

New post on McMansionHell:

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/154653904191/a-pictorial-history-of-suburbia

What say the thread, good or bad?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ryonguy posted:

No it's surely those lazy slobs who want a living wage. If only we could purge ourselves of these untermensch who demand to eat and live on the real earner's dime, then we could have a technological utopia.

New post on McMansionHell:

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/154653904191/a-pictorial-history-of-suburbia

What say the thread, good or bad?

This image is crazy to me because it looks so much like the brand new suburbs I know from growing up in Texas.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Traffic is a 'critical mass' problem. If you can redirect only 6% of 'problem drivers' down side streets you can completely alleviate LA rush hour traffic at its worst. Theoretically this can already be achieved via apps like Waze and Google Maps but people that can use those apps dont overlap a lot with that 6%. Self-driving cars and buses would go a long way to alleviate traffic even if they make up only a percent of vehicles.

via
Dec 14, 2013

FCKGW posted:

autonomous driving will change car ownership, but it does nothing to reduce the amount of cars on the road. you still have 2 people driving to work or running errands and burning the same amount of fuel to do it, just in someone else's car (or your own while you jack off behind the wheel).

I think autonomous vehicles (especially for-hire ones like Uber, which add wasted miles and idling) have the potential to actually worsen traffic here in Los Angeles. If the cost of a car trip goes down, and they don't have to drive the thing personally, people are apt to suffer even longer transit times for the privilege of avoiding public transport. They promise they'll all be synced up perfectly like Minority Report, but I think it'll be the better part of a hundred years before enough cars are autonomous to accomplish that.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

via posted:

I think autonomous vehicles (especially for-hire ones like Uber, which add wasted miles and idling) have the potential to actually worsen traffic here in Los Angeles. If the cost of a car trip goes down, and they don't have to drive the thing personally, people are apt to suffer even longer transit times for the privilege of avoiding public transport. They promise they'll all be synced up perfectly like Minority Report, but I think it'll be the better part of a hundred years before enough cars are autonomous to accomplish that.

Depends on how much price is the limiting factor. I suspect travel time is the primary concern for virtually everyone.

I'm still trying to find the paper I got the 6% number from on arxiv, this wiki article may be of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_traffic_theory

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blockade posted:

Traffic is a 'critical mass' problem. If you can redirect only 6% of 'problem drivers' down side streets you can completely alleviate LA rush hour traffic at its worst. Theoretically this can already be achieved via apps like Waze and Google Maps but people that can use those apps dont overlap a lot with that 6%. Self-driving cars and buses would go a long way to alleviate traffic even if they make up only a percent of vehicles.

You think the people who don't use... GPS with traffic are going to be the early adopters on Herbie?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You think the people who don't use... GPS with traffic are going to be the early adopters on Herbie?

Nah, I wasn't clear on that. My point was that traffic flow, and jams, are well understood mathematically, and an autonomous network with better knowledge of the conditions (where other buses are, traffic density, events, etc) could do a much better job of avoiding and preventing jams than human drivers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
and you'll just induce demand and be back to square one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If the near-universal ownership of a $100 device that'll reroute you around that pileup and also let you browse Tinder in staff meetings hasn't revolutionized traffic in any notable way I have a really hard time seeing how Christine the $50,000 experimental luxury toy is going to

like maybe in 50 years when that's every lovely car on the road but by that point what the gently caress kind of future are you postulating where everyone is still commuting, period

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 19, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

This image is crazy to me because it looks so much like the brand new suburbs I know from growing up in Texas.

I am not certain your brand new suburb had streets as straight as that, as narrow of a lot, and a detached (if any) garage.

That picture is very typical of a lot of how grid-based and narrow the lots were for inner-ring suburbs.

Sure, it looks a lot like what you see today but there are huge differences.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

I am not certain your brand new suburb had streets as straight as that, as narrow of a lot, and a detached (if any) garage.

That picture is very typical of a lot of how grid-based and narrow the lots were for inner-ring suburbs.

Sure, it looks a lot like what you see today but there are huge differences.

as a note, 'gridlike' or 'grid based' streets do not have to be straight. that's more appropriately a 'gridiron'. gridlike streets have a lot of interconnectivity and small blocks, as opposed to superblocks with dendritic streets

different kinds of street layouts (this is not inclusive just the first thing i googled)

grid on the left, more dendritic large block 'grid' on the right

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

FCKGW posted:

autonomous driving will change car ownership, but it does nothing to reduce the amount of cars on the road. you still have 2 people driving to work or running errands and burning the same amount of fuel to do it, just in someone else's car (or your own while you jack off behind the wheel).

Autonomous cars will probably increase traffic, not reduce it. Got a quick meeting and don't want to find parking? Order your car to circle the block (while your meeting turns into an hours long session). Do you need to be at the office downtown at 8 and your spouse needs the car at 10? Have the car drive you to the office, back home to pick up your spouse, take her on her trip followed by another round trip downtown to pick you up.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

on the left posted:

If the real goal of the program is to foster school diversity, what's wrong with just grabbing the talented tenth out of underperforming schools and busing them to the suburbs?

Well for one thing, cherry-picking just the top performing students doesn't necessarily foster school diversity.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

boner confessor posted:

as a note, 'gridlike' or 'grid based' streets do not have to be straight. that's more appropriately a 'gridiron'. gridlike streets have a lot of interconnectivity and small blocks, as opposed to superblocks with dendritic streets

different kinds of street layouts (this is not inclusive just the first thing i googled)

grid on the left, more dendritic large block 'grid' on the right

I made some effort posts in the Traffic Engineering thread a while ago about Milton Keynes in the UK:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

On the topic of traffic circles and bicycles/transit, what do you think of the traffic planning in Milton Keynes?

It's a city that was built from the ground up in the 60s, so the designers and engineers had free reign. They decided to build a 1km x 1km (~0.63 mile) grid of major roads and structure the city around these. In the original design, these were meant to be 30 mph roads lined with mixed commercial and residential zonings, to be the core of the community, and with traffic lighted intersections. However, in the final design, the engineers decided to turn them into 70mph dual carriage freeways with traffic circles at every intersection.

The result was a city made up of tiny islands of suburbia with few amenities, very poor pedestrian and bicycle access, and a generally lovely transit system (due to there being few places where buses can safely stop). Most of the amenities have ended up in the city centre, which looks like a gigantic strip mall, complete with massive, largely empty parking lots. Mode share is about 70-80% private vehicles, way above the national average, and more in line with a city in the south-eastern United States than south-east England. There's a separated network of bike lanes, but these are incredibly poorly designed, and their safety record plus low cycle use are often used as a strawman to argue against any kind of separated cycling infrastructure in the UK at all.

Of course, car traffic moves very freely.

Article in Traffic Engineering + Control making the strawman argument against separated bike lanes
A blog post providing good counter-arguments, with photographs of the terrible, terrible design of the separated bikeways
An article in the Journal of Urban Design by one of the original designers, explaining what went wrong.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I think the main and biggest mistake they made was in turning the grid into a freeway system, rather than the network of urban high streets it was intended to be. At least, that's what the article I posted in that last link argues -- and the author was one of the original design team.

I've found a PDF since then: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/4642/1/4642.pdf

His suggestions for fixing things are to set the speed limit to 30mph, replace traffic circles with traffic lights, and rip up the forests lining the grid, to be replaced with high density commerce. This would bring it back in line with how the original plan was intended to be.

Fat chance of any of that happening, though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Here's an interesting DC area story about land use discrimination from an angle I hadn't heard of before: islamophobia!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f2fd_story.html

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Here's an interesting DC area story about land use discrimination from an angle I hadn't heard of before: islamophobia!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f2fd_story.html

Just redlining in another form.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ryonguy posted:

Just redlining in another form.

It would be redlining if they were allowed to build somewhere. Also, hasn't this poo poo been going on for years now?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Reviving this since I don't know where else to put it - Republicans in Congress have filed a bill to nullify the new Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule (text of the bill here). I doubt Carson's HUD would have enforced it anyway but it would have been nice to have. RIP in advance.

Also this from the bill:

quote:

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no Federal funds may be used to design, build, maintain, utilize, or provide access to a Federal database of geospatial information on community racial disparities or disparities in access to affordable housing.

As we all know, John Roberts wisely and correctly decided in Shelby County that Racism Is Over, so I'm not sure why you need to spend money on something like this anyway tbqh.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol if this is interpreted as restricting what questions the american community survey can ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I always wonder how Republicans justify to themselves their efforts to conceal as much information as possible :sigh:

• Locked thread