Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Shbobdb posted:

I know plenty of people in tech and I can assure you that people with a solid EQ do better than those without. There are absolutely "shut in geniuses who make bank" but if you want to hit the $250K, much less the real rich, being sociable is a better bet than "individual genius".

This is absolutely true. My main piece of advice wasn't about starting a business vs. working a job - each one can make you very wealthy, or put you on a path to waiting for food stamps each month. It's not about education, or picking a skill and pursuing it. There is no surefire path to success in the world - there are neurosurgeons living paycheck to paycheck, and millionaire stock traders that never finished college.

Network. Network your rear end off. Always be meeting people, talking to them, asking questions. Having a large social network will open up opportunities for you, give you business partners if you decide to open a bar (or build an apartment complex or develop the next great app), give you people to bounce your ideas off of, and ask for advice from when life kicks you in the guts. The best part about this is that networking works like compounding interest - the larger your network, the more people you will eventually meet through it (and the more people will meet each other via you).

This requires you to be motivated, well read and interesting, and generally positive. Be the kind of person people want to be around. As an aside, ask anyone who's gotten an MBA - one of the most valuable things they take away is the social experience and the long term network. MBAs from Harvard, Wharton, and Yale get world class educations, but it also gives them a nearly unparalleled peer network. No matter what field you wind up in, no matter what educational path you choose, having a larger social network will almost certainly improve your odds of success in life.

Caveat: You will meet people that cannot directly help you be successful. This is not a license to shun them or be an rear end in a top hat just because you don't think they're worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oxxidation posted:

Sounds about in line with my experiences. We're in different markets but several clients I've spoken to decided to vent to me about working with Walmart out of the blue and their stories sounded similar.

I've heard of more than one company that just flat out refuse to put their products in Walmart for these reasons.

• Locked thread