Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

McPhock posted:

Start here:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

You need a lot less to live on than you think you do. Sock it all away in investments, retire extremely early while your peers are crushed under the burden of commuting to jobs they hate in 100% financed cars.

I would recommend skipping the part where you go around bragging about how much cooler you are than anyone even slightly less frugal than you. Especially if it means dismissing dog ownership as a frivolous luxury (never mind that interacting with animals has been scientifically proven to be good for one's physical and mental well-being) while you have a kid.

The basic idea of rejecting wanton consumerism is great and all, but I doubt anyone starting a thread titled "Tell me about becoming wealthy" would have much interest in a lifestyle which involves rejecting any leisure activity that isn't dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

TLG James posted:

For the most part, people are living paycheck to paycheck. Most people can't afford dogs, let alone kids. It's not even like you need a loving dog to play with one. You can literally go to any shelter and ask to walk their dogs/play with them once a week if you so desire.

Not that MMM has to do with wealth. It's about freedom.

My criticism of MMM is that he's always making it sound like his way is THE correct way to live - if what you like to do with your life costs more than what he likes to do with his life, even if you're living entirely within your means, you're just another idiot consumer whore.

Never mind that no matter how frugal you may be, having a kid (as he does) is far more expensive than owning a dog, or for that matter any of the leisure activities he keeps trash-talking on his blog.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

Some people are not happy unless they have a pet. But many people seem to get a pet on a whim and don't really think about whether they want a pet or are just buying it as a lifestyle accessory.

Many people do roughly the same thing with having children, doing it as soon as they have a decent long-term relationship (or worse, on the grossly misguided belief that it will stabilize a troubled relationship) without bothering to consider if that's actually where they want to go with their lives, or if they're reasonably ready for that responsibility.

In fact, those who advocate thinking things through have been met with the criticism "there's no perfect time to have kids" as though that logically concludes with "there's no bad time to have kids" (it doesn't).

mobby_6kl posted:

Step one of this thing should probably be figuring out what you really want. As this came up multiple times in the thread already, there are many definitions of "wealthy". I like Chris Rock's way of putting it: Shaq is rich, the guy who signs his paycheck is wealthy. Don't think just about the money, think of assets, reputation, network, influence, etc. Yeah, if you make >$100k anywhere on earth you shouldn't have any real problems, but that's not the same thing. My dad used to be in this category (not $100k, but by local standards at the time), but after years of depression and spotty employment, has nothing. His former boss now owns several companies, bought his wife a Cayenne so she could drive around town without asking their chauffeur, etc.

Conversely, early retirement as preached my Mr. Money Mustache (and numerous goons) can't exactly be counted as "freedom" if you can't afford to do what you want to do with your life. The important thing, as you say, is to consider what you actually want out of life and then figure out how best to achieve that goal.

photomikey posted:

To my recollection, most successful small businesses start with $0 and grow from there. Businesses that start with loans and seed money are much more likely to fail. With $0, you need to make money from day 1. With $100k in seed money, you can bleed money for a long time, and never learn how to make it.

IMHO, you're more likely to make a successful life for yourself with $5k than with $100k.

I was under the impression that "make money from day 1" was only feasible for a select few categories of business.

• Locked thread