Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

LOL at a bunch of people talking about things like "nursing" or "$250K" as "wealthy".

I feel like there's two tiers of "wealthy." One is "can live on capital gains alone/without working" and the other is "will be financially secure under almost any circumstances unless you do something incredibly, incredibly stupid." I think that both of these have meaning, because they represent different interests the person might have politically and otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

MBAs from Harvard, Wharton, and Yale get world class educations, but it also gives them a nearly unparalleled peer network.

This is really true. I went to a high ranked undergraduate business school (NYU Stern) and despite not being exceptionally social I have at least 5 or 6 people with great careers that would probably be willing to help me out and/or give me a recommendation if I wanted to enter their fields (which I don't because I'd probably be bad at it and don't find finance very interesting; I'm fine just being a low-paid programmer in a low stress university job for now).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Some people are not happy unless they have a pet. But many people seem to get a pet on a whim and don't really think about whether they want a pet or are just buying it as a lifestyle accessory. Pets also have their costs loaded into the end of the pet's life. When buying a kitten for $50 you don't think about how in 15 years time you will be under pressure to spend $5000 on kitty chemo or watch your beloved companion die.

I've always been a little confused by people spending thousands of dollars to extend the life of an already-old pet. With humans it often makes sense because 1. they're humans and 2. an 80 y/o human could still have as many as 20 years left to live, but a 14 y/o dog (or whatever an equivalent cat age is) isn't going to live much longer just because you cure its immediate problem. Our dog recently had to be euthanized because his hip reached the point where he couldn't stand, and we never even considered trying to find some surgical solution because he was already pretty old and it seemed like a pretty selfish action to put him through so much suffering just so we could keep our companion a little longer. The same was apparently true for our last dog as well (I was at college when she was euthanized, but I think it was because of a kidney issue that would have cost thousands for a pretty low possibility of curing it), so it's not like I don't understand the mindset of a pet owner.

photomikey posted:

To my recollection, most successful small businesses start with $0 and grow from there. Businesses that start with loans and seed money are much more likely to fail. With $0, you need to make money from day 1. With $100k in seed money, you can bleed money for a long time, and never learn how to make it.

IMHO, you're more likely to make a successful life for yourself with $5k than with $100k.

This....seems really unlikely.

edit: I tried looking up info on this, and while I couldn't find the exact statistic I was looking for I did find information on how starting capital is absolutely vital to a small business and that the only question is how you acquire it (either through loans or through your own capital). So basically if you don't have money to start with the only difference is you're going to have to take out loans and end up paying a little more due to interest rates (which will probably be higher if you have fewer assets to begin with). I can't find anything indicating that taking out a loan somehow gives a higher chance of success due to the psychological pressure of repaying the loan.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 28, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If I could do it over again I would just be a programmer or go into IB. Work super hard for 4-7 years. Buy a house and rent it. Continue until I bought a second house to rent. Then pivot into a chill job.

Programming is good for having a reliable income stream, but you don't really make great money unless you're actually talented at it. I'm a programmer and will never make close to six figures because i'm an exceedingly mediocre (if not outright bad) one and am incapable of improving beyond my current point. If you do have talent, though, it's probably the easiest way to make good (but not ridiculous) money.

That being said, I think more people should at least attempt to learn to program. Many people think of programming as being similar to math/science, but it really isn't most of the time. It feels like it uses a completely different skill set. It seems more like some mixture of architecture and construction or something. It's more about building a bunch of knowledge/experience* and being able to stick building blocks together properly.

*This is my biggest issue. I am utterly incapable of building experience. I have been working as a programmer for 7 years and have not improved at all after the first ~2 years or so. It's like information just doesn't stay in my head, no matter how simple. Despite having programmed in the same language for such a long time, I still have to Google things as ridiculously basic as the syntax for "how to get the keys of a dictionary". Years ago (before becoming a programmer) I was actually diagnosed with some sort of learning/cognitive disorder related to my ability to recall information, but there's no way to treat it and the doctor wasn't concerned because I was able to do well enough in my college classes (since classes just consisted of temporarily learning new things and didn't require you to hold onto past knowledge).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 24, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are software engineers (aside from H1Bs) getting paid less than six figures? :raise:

fake edit: Google sez $100k is almost exactly the median salary, so yeah, I guess about half of them are. But that group has to be overrepresented by aforementioned H1Bs and kids right out of college. It's an arbitrary line, but shouldn't be a tough barrier to crack with a few years experience.

Does the label "software engineer" actually cover all programmers? I feel like that only represents a specific type of programming job.

I work in academia (though as an employee) and develop both the back-end and front-end for a web application biologists use to do stuff like gene mapping, correlations, etc and make just $35k (though I'm in a pretty cheap city, but it's still probably at the super low end in terms of programmer salaries). To be fair I could probably make more, but I'm aware of the fact that I'm a pretty lovely programmer (at least compared with the other programmers I know*) and would feel bad asking for a raise.

*Granted, all the other programmers I know work at Google or start-ups in NYC/Silicon Valley making way over six figures, so my sample isn't exactly representative of the average programmer. But I definitely know that I'm not good.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veyrall posted:

Incidentally, can anyone tell me if genetic engineering is a good field to get into? I've been considering going back to college and am wondering if it's a good field.

From my tangentially-related job working with academic geneticists (so probably quite different from working in industry), it seems to me like if you're good at it you could reliably get some sort of job, but:

1. It would almost certainly require a graduate degree, so if you don't already have a bachelor's degree that would let you apply for a masters/phd in a relevant field (molecular biology, genetics, computational biology/bioinformatics, whatever) you'd be looking at a lot of time/money.
2. You could probably make more money in other fields requiring a similar level of scientific/technical skill/knowledge (though I personally think this is one the more interesting and exciting scientific fields to get into right now).

edit: Just to clarify further, I know jack poo poo about the biotechnology side of things and am solely involved with just data analysis.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 24, 2017

• Locked thread