Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Deltasquid posted:

If you buy the Y1 operators, don't get Thermite, because Hibana fulfills the same role

I mostly agree with your other stuff (Buck/Sledge and Doc/Rook can do some different things but nothing appreciable for a new player really) but Thermite and Hibana are pretty different in how you use them. As Hibana you open up new lines of sight, ceiling hatches, or break Mira windows. As Thermite you make really big loving holes. If you're doing a garage attack and can only breach through a piddly Hibana hole then it makes a huge difference in how you're forced to attack, or on some points if you're forced to place a Thermite charge directly it can expose you to a lot more danger.

They're obviously "similar" in that they breach reinforced walls, but in that sense you could say the same about Vigil/Cav or Bandit/Mute having similar rolese. You won't go wrong with getting both Hibana and Thermite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
They're pretty different I agree, but they're similar in the sense that most teams only bring one and not the other. If you already have Hibana and you're on started ed, don't blow 12500 renown on Thermite if there's other base operators you don't have yet. I mean, Buck and Sledge are different in the sense that Buck can go below opfor and is more suited to attacking vertically, but that doesn't change the fact that fundamentally they both serve to create rotation and breathing room for the attackers. Similarly, Hibana can fulfill Thermite's role (but less efficiently) and Thermite can blow hatches (though it's a bit of a waste).

I would also say that you shouldn't unlock both bandit and mute as long as you have other operators to unlock. Caveira/Vigil doesn't hold up as an example, but I think you could justify buying either vigil or jäger but not both because they essentially fill the same "hard hitting ranged roamer 3 speed" role and play similarly. I think you should eventually unlock them all, but try to not get the other one in the pair if you're on starter ed and missing some other playstyles first.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still pissed i can't just pay whatever the difference is to get the full edition, to be honest.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There really should just be a DLC that requires the starter ed that unlocks every base game op for like 10 bucks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

I'm still pissed i can't just pay whatever the difference is to get the full edition, to be honest.

That is really dumb.

I'm glad I decided to read their faq before buying the game and nope'd right out of buying Starter Edition after reading the "12 hours of play to unlock one operator compared to 0.5-2 hours of play in the full version" part.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

dogstile posted:

You could do what they want you to do and just pony up the £££/$$$ to get the R6 points to buy all the basic operators.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers
so, while quietly keeping up with the year passes since the game came out but only sporadically playing it (due to no friends wanting it). for the longest time, this was the singular game i kept spending money on despite not playing it haha. i finally got a friend to buy it with me and within hours of owning it they bought themselves all of the DLC and we were pulling 7-8 hour marathons with it. it's so fun playing this game even if you can only strategize with one other person. like we've been experimenting a ton with Zofia (me) and Capitao (her) to the point where we've got a strat down where we completely gently caress up the objective rooms by laying down the glass bolts on corners and then bursting Zofia's concussion rounds in the room and just spraying the gently caress out of any dumb clowns trying to peek.

god, i loving love this game. it also helped me getting into it that i loving adore all of the new operators from the last year, especially Zofia and Mira. I think Mira (murderhole lady) might be my favorite defender, other than maybe Valkyrie (whom I didn't appreciate properly until I realized with proper placement she has amazing post-death potential as a spotter).

tokyo_vamp fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 31, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tomdidiot posted:

You could do what they want you to do and just pony up the £££/$$$ to get the R6 points to buy all the basic operators.

That was fine when the standard edition didn't get discounted to peanuts every other week, not so much now that that's the case.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

tomdidiot posted:

i can't believe the starter edition fucks people so hard. i think it'd only be more justifiable if it was something more like a F2P model version where maybe you only get a rotation of the basic operators that changes weekly, and no access to get anything past that. the fact it screws players in the long-run is somewhat scummy.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

by the way, another problem i had with the game that kept me from playing it for months on end despite still pumping money into it was the fact it just... stopped working at some point. like it would almost 100% freeze in-game, once i got into the start of a match of any kind. i couldn't figure out the issue, tried everything from updating drivers to moving it to an SSD, verifying game cache, fully reinstalling it, and it never worked. eventually uninstalled it and left it for months on end until last week and when i reinstalled it... it just worked...?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do they have some sort of bundle for buying all the original operators at a discount though?
Because you can buy the Year 1 and Year 2 bundles for 50% off which I think ended up being 20$ each.
If there's a bundle that lets you buy all the original operators for 20-30 bux then it would be...fine.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
These are the Cav rounds I live for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRno18NdhS4

Alternate title: Ash takes three SPAS shots to die at two meters because hitboxes

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Do they have some sort of bundle for buying all the original operators at a discount though?
Because you can buy the Year 1 and Year 2 bundles for 50% off which I think ended up being 20$ each.
If there's a bundle that lets you buy all the original operators for 20-30 bux then it would be...fine.

This is the standard game (with cheap legacy operators) with Y1 and Y2 DLC operators for 36£ (you can get 20% off the displayed price with ubisoft points)
https://store.ubi.com/uk/tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six--siege---complete-edition/583704394e0165a0278b4568.html

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
when deciding which operator to play look at the grid and the one that you find immediately interesting is the one you should go for

castle and tachanka are still fun even if they aren't gonna get you to diamond rank in your first week of playing and learning the game lol

castle was one of my early unlocks and he loving owned in low lvl matchmaking because new players have no idea how easy it is to melee 12 times before the last 30 seconds

everyone always tells new players to get rook but all that guy does is drop a box of armor. like he is literally more boring than a recruit imo. sorry rook mains, thanks for the t shirts tho

Thief fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 31, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dogstile posted:

Yeah this bums me out, I would be super willing to pay the difference right now but I guess not huh.

Anyways thanks a bunch guys!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcrYioJbZrk

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That sure was some solid 500ms ping on that guy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thief posted:

everyone always tells new players to get rook but all that guy does is drop a box of armor. like he is literally more boring than a recruit imo. sorry rook mains, thanks for the t shirts tho

The MP5 is a good gun with an ACOG and dropping the plates immediately means you can focus on holding the point and fighting (and if you die, you've at least used your gadget).

I mean, yeah, he's not exciting, but he's solid even at low skill levels which is what makes him good for beginners.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lmao at people still hard no saying castle when tower exists

He makes a lot of points dramatically more manageable. His weapons kind of suck and he shouldn't plaster anything to a door tho

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
His gun is completely fine but if I'm ever, as a defender, hindered by his walls whatsoever he has failed.

My take on the worst operator(in other peoples hands) in the game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Thief posted:

Thank you!

gently caress rook. The armor does no loving difference whatsoever in firefights and I would much rather have someone playing bandit/mute/jaeger/doc over lovely rook but every newbie player just slam picks him and drops armor and is useless the rest of the round.

Say no to rook.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

keyframe posted:

Say no to rook.

At this point I tell people to buy Twitch or Ash for attack and Bandit or Mute for defense. Rook's armor means jack poo poo when everyone is aiming for that sweet sweet insta kill headshot.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Can we get an updated Discord link please?

E: Read back, Shockeh. Link for others: https://discord.gg/MCQvh79

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Thief posted:

Wtf

keyframe posted:

Thank you!

gently caress rook. The armor does no loving difference whatsoever in firefights and I would much rather have someone playing bandit/mute/jaeger/doc over lovely rook but every newbie player just slam picks him and drops armor and is useless the rest of the round.

Say no to rook.

Wtf??

That's it I'm exclusively playing Echo with you nerds now. If I can't ACOG peek opfor on spawn, why even bother

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Deltasquid posted:

Wtf

Wtf??

That's it I'm exclusively playing Echo with you nerds now. If I can't ACOG peek opfor on spawn, why even bother

Just play Doc if you want the french guns. Rook sucks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Nothing better than a lightning fast hostage extraction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgvw5n96uo

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

CaptCommy posted:

Just play Doc if you want the french guns. Rook sucks.

If opfor is shooting you in the head, doc won't save you either.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rooks usefulness falls off as you get more experienced but he's great for low level play where you and the enemy have no idea what you're doing and are mostly firing body shots at each other. This mostly stops above silver ranks but depending on who you're playing with and your own skill that can take a while.

Really though the best option is to just buy the full version of the game when it's on sale.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are lots of situations at higher ranks where you'll get clipped in a limb if you're running about, or where people will blindfire through a wall and so on and the Rook armor saves you. I agree I'd normally rather have Doc, but Rook is still useful.

Worst part about Rook is the chunk of time he takes out of the prep phase really.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I've played less than 10 matches of this game and I've run into multiple people that teamkilled someone because they couldn't get the character they wanted.

Have I been unlucky or is the community that lovely?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Peewi posted:

I've played less than 10 matches of this game and I've run into multiple people that teamkilled someone because they couldn't get the character they wanted.

Have I been unlucky or is the community that lovely?

I think you were unlucky, because I played almost 50 matches and I have only seen intentional team killing once.
Although it might be a regional difference.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I see it fairly often but not that often.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

If opfor is shooting you in the head, doc won't save you either.

doc to rook is like kapkan to tachanka except doc is still a big fat 3 armor

i feel like he is much more useful for keeping players "up" by topping them off as needed, sometimes preemptively

a funny thing to do is mildly ubercharge that rear end in a top hat on your team that is spawn peeking so that the only way to kill them is a direct headshot. that or doing all your own drugs and peeking with the revolver or acog

rook isn't bad. his ability just becomes passive after the prep phase. when playing him i find him less engaging than a recruit because they at least get nitro. and i don't think casual pubbies take advantage of the automatic down instead of death thing very often. they put the armor on and think they can get shot way out in the open without using low cover to give them the time needed to move to a place to be safely revived.

when i play a trap user or want to do sneaky roaming i like to avoid getting spotted before the round starts. when a rook is around they often forget to drop the armor immediately and i have to play around it because if i ignore it they will be sure to remind the entire team that "1 person forgot armor" and pinging the dufflebag every 30 seconds instead of covering their sector. i've been spotted more while putting my t shirt on than any other time. its so much easier to cheese that first kill when a casual team rushes into the far side of the map and has no idea its rigged with enough deathtraps that would surprise even Indiana Jones

tl:dr rook is cool and if you like him then certainly play him because that's all that actually matters lol

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Read back a few pages and the OP, didn't see anything definitive so apologies since this gets asked a lot. Finally upgrading my computer and and play this, with the new season starting and 4 days left on the steam sale, what's the best version to buy? Granted it's a broad question, but I have no idea how many operators people typically use and if I'm kneecapping myself not buying a pass or edition with some included.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frush posted:

Read back a few pages and the OP, didn't see anything definitive so apologies since this gets asked a lot. Finally upgrading my computer and and play this, with the new season starting and 4 days left on the steam sale, what's the best version to buy? Granted it's a broad question, but I have no idea how many operators people typically use and if I'm kneecapping myself not buying a pass or edition with some included.

Do not under any circumstances buy the starter edition. The regular one for 20something is probably the best compromise. You get a nice selection of the base operators, and after you've got some games under your belt you can decide whether you want to shell out for any of the later ones in particular or just grind them out with ingame currency.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

starter edition is literally a ripoff in terms of time it takes to unlock the free poo poo

buy the normal base level of the game. you don't need season passes. there are a few goons who have never spent a cent on these things and still have every DLC character because they play regularly.

this isn't a pay 2 win game so you won't be at a disadvantage if you just want to play the vanilla operators. before i bought a season pass i had unlocked a single DLC operator for like $5 so there's that as well. like if there is just one or two cool lookin' characters you wanna get and don't wanna drop all that money for a bundle then this is the cheapest way to get what you want quickly unless you want everything in the game

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

when you tryna get melee kills for a challenge

https://gfycat.com/IdolizedFrenchAlleycat

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

@delta: rook might be the best in the game at woodland camo though:

i would really like an open outdoor themed map with multiple buildings, maybe connect them underground or something. put many trees.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
They'd have to fix how shiny some operators are in the dark before they can entertain the idea of doing anything open and outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Jack Trades posted:

I think you were unlucky, because I played almost 50 matches and I have only seen intentional team killing once.
Although it might be a regional difference.

Just had a run of like 3-4 matches where at least one round had someone on the enemy team kill someone else before the drone phase was even over.

Then earlier I did a warmup match of terrorist hunt where someone went recruit and just fired wildly as soon as everyone spawned killing half the team.

• Locked thread