Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

Conversely, a player that does not land kills, but still wins often, should be ranked quite high (maybe they make excellent callouts, which is an important factor in a team’s ability to win)

Finally, Hard created a game that appreciates me :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Aus / NZ Siege Dec #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGiFFGYJsY

I made it to Gold and immediately lost it last night :smith:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That feel when you were teamed with The Only Good Solo Players and made it from Silver 3 to Gold 3 in 4 games

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So today i got a kill only because i heard Ash pull up the drone camera right on the other side of the wall from me and knew it was safe to rush in. Something i didn't know that enemies could hear

How many other little things that make noise can enemies hear? Like when you're spinning in place and your guys feet makes shuffling noises? Or how about when you aim down the sights and you can definitely hear something on your end?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So today i got a kill only because i heard Ash pull up the drone camera right on the other side of the wall from me and knew it was safe to rush in. Something i didn't know that enemies could hear

How many other little things that make noise can enemies hear? Like when you're spinning in place and your guys feet makes shuffling noises? Or how about when you aim down the sights and you can definitely hear something on your end?

Every single one of those things and more

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When I play solo with my speakers, I hear sounds much better and louder than my headphones when actually playing in a group for voice chat. Is there some way I'm missing to increase the volume in Windows 10 more than 100? The game sound isn't nearly as loud (or good but these are nice speakers).

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Every single one of those things and more

Pretty much this.

A thing I've brought up to the sound guys is to be able to differentiate an ATK using his drone from a DEF going on cam. It's the same sound and i'm always like '' hum guys, did any one of you just went on cams/drone?''

Another thing to the pile i guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When I play solo with my speakers, I hear sounds much better and louder than my headphones when actually playing in a group for voice chat. Is there some way I'm missing to increase the volume in Windows 10 more than 100? The game sound isn't nearly as loud (or good but these are nice speakers).

You can lower the volume of your voice chat program through your OS's mixer, or vice versa for the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can lower the volume of your voice chat program through your OS's mixer, or vice versa for the game.

I can hear voice just fine. Lowering the voice in the mixer won't help because the game sound is at its limit while I'm using headphones. They're LifeChat 3000s (something like that) and quite nice otherwise. Just wish they had a separate volume button from Windows.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can hear voice just fine. Lowering the voice in the mixer won't help because the game sound is at its limit while I'm using headphones. They're LifeChat 3000s (something like that) and quite nice otherwise. Just wish they had a separate volume button from Windows.

Maybe a DAC?

http://lifehacker.com/5903575/unleash-your-headphones-full-potential-with-a-usb-dac-and-amplifier

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Hard posted:

Pretty much this.

A thing I've brought up to the sound guys is to be able to differentiate an ATK using his drone from a DEF going on cam. It's the same sound and i'm always like '' hum guys, did any one of you just went on cams/drone?''

Another thing to the pile i guess.

If this is something desirable maybe they shouldn't all be using the same smartphone. It wouldn't make sense for them to have different sounds unless you make the guy yell out LETS HAVE A LOOK AT THIS DRONE THEN.

Also is "placing claymore B)" voice line team only? If not that is a bit awkward.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

AbortRetryFail posted:

If this is something desirable maybe they shouldn't all be using the same smartphone. It wouldn't make sense for them to have different sounds unless you make the guy yell out LETS HAVE A LOOK AT THIS DRONE THEN.

Also is "placing claymore B)" voice line team only? If not that is a bit awkward.

i wanna say all the character voices are team only.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Roobanguy posted:

i wanna say all the character voices are team only.

They weren't before, I really hope they are now! I can't remember a recent time I heard someone on the other team at all though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AbortRetryFail posted:

For that matter, why do things like new seasons' voice lines and weapons not retroactively apply to rules like "this kind of weapon for this challenge" or "this kind of sound can be heard by the enemy team"? Do they not have a tagging system for these game assets? Was their game whose continued existence depends entirely on new content not planned for future expansion?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
IIRC they changed voices to be team only at some point. They weren't originally but they are now. Nearly all other sounds are audible to both teams though including any shuffling you do when you spin around or ADS or whatever.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

God ranked is just full of bitter fucks innit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

IIRC they changed voices to be team only at some point. They weren't originally but they are now. Nearly all other sounds are audible to both teams though including any shuffling you do when you spin around or ADS or whatever.

That was a Skull Rain or Dust Line change if I remember right. You'll still hear reinforcement shouting on opposing teams but that's it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AbortRetryFail posted:

You can't hear their voice but you can certainly hear the claymore being placed.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Hard, make player dialog audible for both sides so we can hear IQ scream at the top of her lungs about how she's got her scanner out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IceOrb posted:

Hard, make player dialog audible for both sides so we can hear IQ scream at the top of her lungs about how she's got her scanner out.
That used to be a thing, so you could keep rushing as every operator would yell RELOADING.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

In game 5 and 6 of my placement matches last night my team consisted of a husband and wife duo who treated chat like the dinner table and a guy who was high and wanted to talk about 90's dance music while constantly engaging the couple in conversation. I couldn't hear a thing so I muted them all. We got 4-0'd. I left matchmaking, waited 30 seconds, jumped back in, and bam, right back on their team for game 2. That did not go well either.

It felt like someone mixed in XBL on my PC. Why play ranked when you're just going to dick around?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That used to be a thing, so you could keep rushing as every operator would yell RELOADING.

:thejoke:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eng99: Glad that it is gone by the way, sometimes you'd kill or get killed because the characters would yell for no apparent reason (even in video game terms)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

God ranked is just full of bitter fucks innit.

A lot of games these days have a button labeled "ranked" or "competitive" that allows you to play exclusively with really angry people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

A lot of games these days have a button labeled "ranked" or "competitive" that allows you to play exclusively with really angry people.
Don't play competitive if you don't intend to compete.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Don't play competitive if you don't intend to compete.

You can compete without being a raging fuckface though. I'm pretty high up in OW but you'll never hear me get angry because its a fun game and I know i'm not going pro anyway.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I never get angry in R6 Siege, I just get really sad and hate myself until I go to sleep.

Now that we have a Y2 Season Pass we should be allowed to make Siege GOTY 2016, too.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Always fun going up against a streamer trolling casual with a 2x, diamond, plat and a gold team. (they lost while accusing us of being special school retards and raging in chat and on twitch)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

You can compete without being a raging fuckface though. I'm pretty high up in OW but you'll never hear me get angry because its a fun game and I know i'm not going pro anyway.
I can and do so, raging is counterproductive from any angle. Consider the flipside that people will often call an angry gently caress someone who tells them to shut up at a generally inappropriate moment.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've always held a "No rage-quitting" policy but sometimes I think I would hate myself less if I did once in awhile.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
When you go 20:4 in ranked but you still lose :emo:

Also people that get angry are usually bad players or wont improve, because they cant control their emotions and seem to be bad at adapting and learning from mistakes or just outright will blame someone else for their incompetence.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
This is one of the only games that makes me angry. :sigh:

I don't rage in chat about it though, I just whine to my friends on discord.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Paradigmata posted:

Also people that get angry are usually bad players or wont improve, because they cant control their emotions and seem to be bad at adapting and learning from mistakes or just outright will blame someone else for their incompetence.

In my case he was really angry that I dared to step into the ranked cathedral while still learning the game. When will I learn to grovel and trash with the foolish mobs of the casual proletariat?

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Black Griffon posted:

In my case he was really angry that I dared to step into the ranked cathedral while still learning the game. When will I learn to grovel and trash with the foolish mobs of the casual proletariat?

He probably got queued up with you for a reason if it wasnt the first placement match you played.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Black Griffon posted:

Don't you know that you should never play ranked to get better at the game?! You should only play scrims if you want that! /s

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Ularg posted:

Don't you know that you should never play ranked to get better at the game?! You should only play scrims if you want that! /s

Black Griffon posted:

In all seriousness, ranked is probably not where you should be if you're still learning the game. Ranked is where people usually go to play the game a little more seriously and it sucks to effectively play the game a man down because someone hasn't yet learned fundamentals like how to deal with various gadgets or general map layouts(let alone the actual rooms for callouts).

There's also the issue of if you queue with good players then it's going to inflate your rating and leave you hopelessly outclassed if you ever play ranked by yourself.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

IceOrb posted:

Hehe. As mentioned already it used to be like that until season1 i think? Great fun to hear pulse yells out his gadget deployment on the other side of the wall.

On current topic:

My comms when i die are always like this: [Rage/Swear in french] -> [Apologies for raging] -> [Actual info on how i died]

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Give information about your death first, then rage or whatever.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

Paradigmata posted:

Hey this is the Rainbow Six: Siege thread, not the Make Penetratingly Accurate Character Assessment thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Hard posted:

Hehe. As mentioned already it used to be like that until season1 i think? Great fun to hear pulse yells out his gadget deployment on the other side of the wall.

On current topic:

My comms when i die are always like this: [Rage/Swear in french] -> [Apologies for raging] -> [Actual info on how i died]

Now that you guys have fixed cheating, are you going to yank the killcam from ranked again?

• Locked thread