Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thatcher+Thermite is a good way to ruin the day of defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Akion posted:

Thatcher+Thermite is a good way to ruin the day of defenders.

I think any combination of Thermite/Hibana and Thatcher/Twitch is essential to every attacking team. The remaining slots can really be filled by whoever, but not having a way to bust down those reinforcements makes it more challenging to win.

I think I have also noticed Glaz usage waning down a bit. Which is great, because I was getting sick of seeing him in every match. Ironically, his buff actually made me dislike him; and I loved playing as him before the whole thermal thing.

Now just waiting for the new ops to drop so I can try something new.

Nickname Pending fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 1, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've rarely come across a competent Twitch who actually shoots gadgets. Most banzai their drones into the room in a retarded attempt to take out a Mira window, but they never really focus on jammers along walls or other gadgets. All they'll do is wipe out a jammer in a doorway then try and open the Mira window. Twitch's drone is super handy and it makes me sad when someone sends theirs in and it instantly gets shot.

Playing with / against a competent Bandit is drat cool to see. Watching him listening intently to gadgets being placed and then zapping them off like a badass.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Killing a Thermite charge with Bandit, then hearing an EMP grenade immediately fills my heart with joy. There is almost always a second Thermite coming, it gets zapped, and they have no other way in.

Smart players will realize what is going on and either relocate or try to kill Bandit with grenades.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I love seeing a badly timed Bandit trick resulting in him eating the wall as it explodes in his face.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Loopoo posted:

I've rarely come across a competent Twitch who actually shoots gadgets. Most banzai their drones into the room in a retarded attempt to take out a Mira window, but they never really focus on jammers along walls or other gadgets. All they'll do is wipe out a jammer in a doorway then try and open the Mira window. Twitch's drone is super handy and it makes me sad when someone sends theirs in and it instantly gets shot.

Playing with / against a competent Bandit is drat cool to see. Watching him listening intently to gadgets being placed and then zapping them off like a badass.

I usually wait to roll my twitch drones in until after it gets past the scouting phase. Priority 1 is cameras on my way in, then gadgets. If my drones are still alive, I use them to troll/distract the defenders. People will tunnel-vision on the drones and not even notice my team sneaking up on them.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I usually try to eliminate cameras around the path I will be taking to the objective, and then hide the drone just outside or in a hidden spot in the room, wait for them to set their poo poo up and go to town. Once that's done, I just troll them until either my team kills them or my drones are destroyed. It's hilarious when you get a full kill with just the shock drone.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Twitch drone is so good at trolling. Nothing worse than being a defender in a really tense situation and then that lovely little thing comes by and zaps you. You're torn between shooting it and keeping your eyes on the door you know they're about to rush through. But for real, the drone doing 10 damage a pop is unreal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Loopoo posted:

Team-based operators are really satisfying to play as, but if the enemy has a Thatcher, gl hf, all your poo poo gets exploded. I wish his EMP grenade disabled gadgets for a few minutes instead of outright causing them to explode (that's not how EMPs work!). So I'm always torn between placing gadgets fully at the start of the round, or placing one or two and keeping one as a backup for if my poo poo gets exploded.

Playing as attackers without a Thatcher and a defending team filled with team-based operators is insanely frustrating. You can't breach where you wanna breach, nothing works, it causes you to go the long way round. So I always try and roll Thatcher if possible.

Mute is still great even if they have a Thatcher if you can keep drones from getting eyes on the target room.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Mute is still great even if they have a Thatcher if you can keep drones from getting eyes on the target room.

Anytime I try to do this I'll race to set down jammers for every way in, then right when I'm sprinting to put the last one down, all the drones will just zoom past me as they all come in from the last way in. I just accept that I will forever be bad at Mute.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If you played more than once every 6 months you might pick it up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jehde posted:

Anytime I try to do this I'll race to set down jammers for every way in, then right when I'm sprinting to put the last one down, all the drones will just zoom past me as they all come in from the last way in. I just accept that I will forever be bad at Mute.

Yeah that definitely happens sometimes. You gotta learn the maps and you do have to be quick, and sometimes you gotta be a little lucky. But it feels good when you get that "objective location unknown" audio cue :)

Thing is if you're playing competitive, you should be able to get your teammates to watch the other entrances while you put down your jammers. That makes a huge difference. You can only be in one place at a time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Getting teammates to look at other entrances isn't necessary. After you play a map long enough, you learn the main areas people typically zip in through. Just prioritize putting jammers there first. My biggest annoyance is drones can jump over jammers so putting em in doorways is pointless unless you barricade it, but teammates are always running in and out so it's hard keeping a door barricaded in the prep phase.

It always makes me laugh though seeing how hectically Mute is rushing about trying to keep drones out but then ultimately they manage to break in and troll us all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They patched it forever ago and jumping over jammers is generally pretty hard to pull off now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

They patched it forever ago and jumping over jammers is generally pretty hard to pull off now.

You can still sorta get around it by jumping over ledges/staircase railings. People on House love to mute the two staircases but forget you can jump onto the bookshelf and then over the railing to the alcove by construction. Same on Chalet next to Master bedroom, you can jump over the railing and get around a jammer that way.

The best jammer location is in the shrubbery on the fat doors of dining on Chalet. There's a drone hole there, but its almost impossible to see the jammer with the foliage.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Loopoo posted:

Twitch drone is so good at trolling. Nothing worse than being a defender in a really tense situation and then that lovely little thing comes by and zaps you. You're torn between shooting it and keeping your eyes on the door you know they're about to rush through. But for real, the drone doing 10 damage a pop is unreal.

Is it 10 damage to everybody? I thought it did less depending on how much armor you had?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is it 10 damage to everybody? I thought it did less depending on how much armor you had?

Yeah, the little bastard has wiped off 10hp when I was wearing Rook's armour, and AFAIK it's always been 10 no matter which armour class you're playing as. It's too silly.

I once got a guy down to 40hp in the prep phase cause I was cheesing a barricaded door + drone hole that was close to it. I'd pop out one, zap him, pop out the other, zap him, when he'd try and run away, I'd zap him and go under the door again so he was stuck. If he started taking the door out to remove my cover, I'd get like 2 zaps in and then start zapping from the drone hole. It was hilarious but also ridiculous, especially since the poor guy was dead within ten seconds since he had such low health.

When you're downed and you see that twitch drone trundle up to you, you know it's all ogre. It'll just circle around you zapping til you die.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Loopoo posted:

Getting teammates to look at other entrances isn't necessary. After you play a map long enough, you learn the main areas people typically zip in through. Just prioritize putting jammers there first. My biggest annoyance is drones can jump over jammers so putting em in doorways is pointless unless you barricade it, but teammates are always running in and out so it's hard keeping a door barricaded in the prep phase.

Only mildly related but on the topic of people zipping in through the same entrances.

Me: "Alright, they're in the basement, guys. I think we should go in through the tunnel hallway. That front entrance is a killzone, there's tons of ways for them to pop up and kill us."

We spawn on the other side of the map so I, as Blitz, run around the house, ignore Jager ineffectually shooting at me from the window on the bottom floor of the tower, and go to the tunnel. I then look up and see the rest of my team entering the house through the front door. Two are dead, another is down and is being interrogated by Caveira.

I proceed to walk into the objective unchallenged from the other side, shoot Frost in the face (the only defender on the point) before she even raises her gun, and fully capture it before Jager can run down to contest it. :shrug:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I wish I was any good at Blitz he's a cool dude with a cool gadget. I suck at being the entry man though so welp

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

I wish I was any good at Blitz he's a cool dude with a cool gadget. I suck at being the entry man though so welp

I always managed to get owned despite crouching with him. I'll be in a doorway crouching and still die before I can pull out. Dunno if it's hit reg or what, I've died as Monty standing fully deployed in a doorway. Kill cam showed the dude blasting the side of my shield where it was deployed and the bullets somehow magically hit???

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Servers being poo poo for anyone else right now, or just me?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nickname Pending posted:

Servers being poo poo for anyone else right now, or just me?

They're always poo poo. There was some major tournament or something last night that kept having server issues.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They're always poo poo. There was some major tournament or something last night that kept having server issues.

that's because they run their garbage on azure.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I would think that a big company like Ubisoft would have some better servers. Never dealt with so many issues a year and half after release. Yesterday, I was lucky if I could even finish a round before I was booted. I would love to actually play the game I paid for.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
They doubled up on the Azure garbage for For Honor from what I understand so don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nevermind, I didn't get the right screen.

People are leaving and rejoining games constantly right now.

EDIT:

There we go.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 3, 2017

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nevermind, I didn't get the right screen.

People are leaving and rejoining games constantly right now.

EDIT:

There we go.

Probably server issues. Same thing happening to me. I can barely play a round these last couple days.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I had a drop out on both teams, and replacements load in every round for a few matches

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Sometimes the constant bugs make the game better.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Carecat posted:

Sometimes the constant bugs make the game better.

Took me a few to notice the second turret setup. Never seen that happen.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Once we spawned 5 turrets in an unbarricaded Favela's meth lab, laughing to ourselves by the ingenuity of our master plan. We got one, then silence. I guess we were too busy laughing our asses off to hear the 4 simultaneous fuze charges.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
If i m really really bad at this game am I better off playing rank so I'm sure to play vs other really bad people? I've been too scared to play anything besides casual, and usually ragequit after 2 rounds of not knowing what to do.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Colonel J posted:

If i m really really bad at this game am I better off playing rank so I'm sure to play vs other really bad people? I've been too scared to play anything besides casual, and usually ragequit after 2 rounds of not knowing what to do.

You'll have to get through 10 games of ranked to get placed, after that your matchups should be a lot closer in skill level.

Having played this game so long it's easy to forget the amount of stuff we take for granted in terms of map knowledge and objective play. You'll get better, but I imagine the learning curve right now is pretty massive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Colonel J posted:

If you wanna get good at the game stop ragequitting first off. Like, holy poo poo quit that.

Play the single player training missions, watch the tutorial videos, and then play casual until you learn the basic controls and operators and maps.

Don't play competitive until you feel confident in how the game works. Intentionally tanking your competitive rank so you get matched with bad players is just going to be a bad experience. This is a game all about teamwork. You won't learn anything from intentionally playing with bad players.

Save competitive for when you know what you're doing, and then do your best to work with your team and talk to them and learn from them.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

afkmacro posted:

that's because they run their garbage on azure.

Hard, get a real CDN.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are the chances of the Frost charm being a two week event? I won't have much time til Monday to try and grind it out.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Casual matchmaking has changed to produce more balanced teams? I think before it would match each player with an opposite of the same skill level but now it tries to make entire games about the same skill level. At least that's what I've seen in solo queue.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Carecat posted:

Casual matchmaking has changed to produce more balanced teams? I think before it would match each player with an opposite of the same skill level but now it tries to make entire games about the same skill level. At least that's what I've seen in solo queue.

Even ubi doesn't know

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Colonel J posted:

The game can be very frustrating, especially when you are first starting off. You are going to die... a lot. In time, you will learn good strategies and become more familiar with the maps. I would suggest partnering with people in a squad with mics. Team work is absolutely key in this game. Try playing a custom game by yourself to learn the maps and experiment with different spots and blowing down walls and such. Stay away from ranked until you get used to it; you will be destroyed. I didn't bother till I was level 40 and still had trouble. You will get better with time. Even some of the best still have bad days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Was watching the tournaments and the spectator mode camera was god drat amazing. Is there any way to access that in a custom game? It would make learning maps so easy.

• Locked thread