Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

slap me and kiss me posted:

Cav kinda needs her shotgun for hatches though.

Impact grenades work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

SpazmasterX posted:

Impact grenades work too.

Dont wanna waste those on hatches because I might actually need them for a rotation during the round.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ask someone during set-up to break them with their own impacts (rook etc) or shotgun (smoke)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I much prefer the SMG on Cav because without it she's got no long range threat.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Deltasquid posted:

Ask someone during set-up to break them with their own impacts (rook etc) or shotgun (smoke)

Could work. I like to pop every hatch on the map that doesn't lead to obj, which would be difficult for slow defenders. Not the worst idea though.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Cav's shotty is good for making small floorholes to cover doors and windows, though. If I wanted range, I wouldn't be playing Cav.

Iirc, Compensator reduces horizontal recoil heavily, Flash Hider vert/horizontal moderately for 3~5 bullets, and Muzzle Brake vert/horizontal heavily for the first shot in a burst. You'll have to see which guns you prefer long bursts with, and which guns you usually just tap.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Caffeine IV posted:

Cav's shotty is good for making small floorholes to cover doors and windows, though. If I wanted range, I wouldn't be playing Cav.

Iirc, Compensator reduces horizontal recoil heavily, Flash Hider vert/horizontal moderately for 3~5 bullets, and Muzzle Brake vert/horizontal heavily for the first shot in a burst. You'll have to see which guns you prefer long bursts with, and which guns you usually just tap.

Cav's pistol is also occasionally surprisingly good at range. Not always, but every now and then.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hiding a second welcome mat under the corpse of a first welcome mat is surprisingly effective and rage inducing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Silencers are cool but most of the things that make them good are mitigated by communication

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I use silencers on all shotguns that take can them. Not for any practical reason, but just because I love going PFUT PFUT PFUT. :getin:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fart Car '97 posted:

Silencers are cool but most of the things that make them good are mitigated by communication

Nah it is very hard to tell where you are getting shot from if a defender is attacking you with the silencer as opposed to everyone pretty much immediately pinpointing where you are at when you fire unsuppressed shots. It also changes the recoil pattern which I prefer on some guns because it makes it easier to headshot.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Thief posted:

also after a certain patch some extended barrels were tested and proven to do literally nothing at all except make your gun harder to hide

idk if its still like that though
Yeah, I remember seeing something that showed in a couple cases it would actually LOWER the damage of your gun at close range. Namely the 416-C.

Frost is the only operator I run extended barrel on. I've seen it suggested that I just run the gun with a stock barrel. Extended barrel does make the gun easier to see, but I think the minor benefit of having it take one or two less bodyshots for a kill at range is worth it. If the gun had a faster firerate I'd probably not use the extended barrel.

Wooper posted:

If you want to find out which muzzle attachment is the best for a specific gun you need to test both the flash hider and compensator yourself to see which works best with how you handle the recoil and the burst sizes you use. It's not going to be muzzle break for any non semi-auto gun or the extended barrel for pretty much any gun.
What you don't want to do is just trust someone dumping two mags into a wall and still drawing the wrong conclusion based on the results.

In order to do that, you have to go through a long and torturous process. This image (http://i.imgur.com/u3bcxLZ.png) that was linked previously suggests muzzle brake on the UMP. After testing it, I can say it works really well. But how was I able to tell it was better than flash hider? It's simple.

In order to test the difference between a flash hider and a muzzle break on the UMP, all I had to to do was go to the operator screen, select my operator, select the loadout button, select my gun, select the attachment section, select flash hider, unlock flash hider, select muzzle brake, unlock muzzle break, go to the play menu, select multiplayer, select custom game, select local, create, select custom playlist, start custom match, wait to load in, select my gun, confirm, wait 15 seconds for prep time, fire my gun at the dummies until I decide if I liked it or ran out of ammo, and then exit the match, select the play button, select local, create, select custom playlist, start custom match, wait to load in, select my gun, select my attachment, confirm, wait 15 seconds for prep time, fire my gun at the dummies until I decide if I like it or run out of ammo, and then exit the match.

So for all the other guns, I either tested them by using it in a real match or blindly following the advice of people on the internet.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
attachments are dirt cheap in this game so even a starter edition player should field test them on their favorite operators.

certain characters/loadouts will have you shooting in tiny bursts. others will have you dumping 30 rounds at a time before needing to adjust for recoil.

loadouts that work for your MVP spawn peeking jager/vigil might not be what's best for your role on the given map and game mode.

the rabbit hole goes deeper if you like to play DMR and/or use semiauto toggles

at the end of the day i think these are for min/maxing and attachments shouldn't be why you are winning or losing even though fine tuned cyber athletes statistically tend to favor one thing or the other. and unless you plan on solo climbing into diamond none of this actually matters imo.

silencers work for me because i tend to focus on hit n' roam harassment. it doesn't matter if you can't land perfect head shots when you're using map knowledge to pick and choose you battles. for such a claustrophobic game there are actually very few dead ends in siege maps.

the sound design in this game is loving incredible and you can absolutely exploit it to make up for not getting headshots 24/7

just watch out for jackal mains because they specialize in countering players that rely too heavily on this tactic

Perestroika posted:

I use silencers on all shotguns that take can them. Not for any practical reason, but just because I love going PFUT PFUT PFUT. :getin:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/cWa9fcfSnxkhG/giphy.webm

it's also best to use silencers on the last round because there is an mvp screen at the end of each match and sometimes it just works well with your cyber barbie outfit (see: double silencer reflex sights on splinter cell jager because he don't need no acog)

the general perception of silencers is that they reduce too much damage to be effective but this is a game that lets you kill people in 1-3 hits so if you are focusing on getting the jump on people silencers will let you clown tryhards that only play 3 speed glass cannon peekers.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Same. Also all pistols/secondaries should have silencers. No reason to make a racket when you're taking out a camera or a drone.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The discord link on the first page seems to have expired. Can someone post a new one?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Polka_Rapper posted:

Frost is the only operator I run extended barrel on. I've seen it suggested that I just run the gun with a stock barrel. Extended barrel does make the gun easier to see, but I think the minor benefit of having it take one or two less bodyshots for a kill at range is worth it. If the gun had a faster firerate I'd probably not use the extended barrel.

She's the only op I run a silencer on. There was a table posted a while back thst shows her SMG takes the same number of shots to kill regardless of whether it's on or off until you get to a really long range- so basically the opposite of the extended barrel. Since most engagements are closer ranges I think it's more valuable.

She's my highest k/d op too by a big margin and I don't think it's entirely due to the traps, her gun is just so easy to control.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

pedro0930 posted:

The discord link on the first page seems to have expired. Can someone post a new one?

https://discord.gg/MCQvh79

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Koramei posted:

She's the only op I run a silencer on. There was a table posted a while back thst shows her SMG takes the same number of shots to kill regardless of whether it's on or off until you get to a really long range- so basically the opposite of the extended barrel. Since most engagements are closer ranges I think it's more valuable.

She's my highest k/d op too by a big margin and I don't think it's entirely due to the traps, her gun is just so easy to control.

I was gonna post about pretty much using the silencer with Frost's C9 because it is scary good. Now that I have her blood orchid skin I roam so much, and her gun is straight gratifying to shoot with a silencer

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Koramei posted:

Penpal posted:

I was gonna post about pretty much using the silencer with Frost's C9 because it is scary good. Now that I have her blood orchid skin I roam so much, and her gun is straight gratifying to shoot with a silencer

Well, I'll have to give that a shot. I really like her gun but I do end up anchoring with her most of the time.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

keyframe posted:

Here you go:
<old discord link>

Not sure why I played this game for 70 hours before trying it with goons.
Gotta love being carried :pcgaming:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://files.catbox.moe/67sr6m.webm

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm giving ranked a try and oh boy. I seem to be getting matched up with people way more skilled than I am so I'm having about as much fun as doing my taxes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'm giving ranked a try and oh boy. I seem to be getting matched up with people way more skilled than I am so I'm having about as much fun as doing my taxes.

Are you still in placement matches?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

Are you still in placement matches?

Yeah, but the placement seems 5 relatively new players vs 5 veterans on cocaine and adderall

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Yeah, but the placement seems 5 relatively new players vs 5 veterans on cocaine and adderall

You should basically be expecting to lose all 10 placement matches.
It probably decides your rank by matching you as if you had a hypothetical high rank and then if you get destroyed it lowers it a bit and watches what happens then, so if you're in the wood league, or whatever, you'll just get matched into unfair matches all 10 times.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Always put your claymore down, no matter how useless the position appears. :haw:

https://i.imgur.com/YiUztkJ.mp4

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

You should basically be expecting to lose all 10 placement matches.
It probably decides your rank by matching you as if you had a hypothetical high rank and then if you get destroyed it lowers it a bit and watches what happens then, so if you're in the wood league, or whatever, you'll just get matched into unfair matches all 10 times.

Well if it gets better I don't mind. The 13 year old foul mouthed southern europeans on casual that started to bother me seem to be absent in ranked.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Well if it gets better I don't mind. The 13 year old foul mouthed southern europeans on casual that started to bother me seem to be absent in ranked.

sweet summer child

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sprechensiesexy posted:

It will get better once the game has a idea of your mmr. I have great ranked games %99 of the time when I solo queue with pubbies.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So if I missed out on all of season 2 whats the best way to get all the operators? is there a bundle in game like with season 1 or do I need to buy the gold edition with the season 2 characters?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

asterioth posted:

So if I missed out on all of season 2 whats the best way to get all the operators? is there a bundle in game like with season 1 or do I need to buy the gold edition with the season 2 characters?

Play games and get renown

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

SpazmasterX posted:

Play games and get renown

Unless they bumped the amount of renown you get up by a shitload I dont hate myself enough to grind out 25K x 8 ops.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm pretty sure the year 2 op bundle will come out once the new year of content starts in February

and it will probably be 20$

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
save money by buying the good ones only

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Penpal posted:

I'm pretty sure the year 2 op bundle will come out once the new year of content starts in February

and it will probably be 20$

The year 2 operator bundle's been out for at least a while. I got it weeks ago.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Got gifted the starter edition of the game and put a few hours in and love the game. Whats the easiest or best way to start upgrading my way up in terms of operators? Or which ones are the good ones from each season?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Got gifted the starter edition of the game and put a few hours in and love the game. Whats the easiest or best way to start upgrading my way up in terms of operators? Or which ones are the good ones from each season?

The best way is to go buy the regular edition of the game or good luck. Starter edition is poo poo.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

You coud buy Year 1 and 2 operator bundle but I have a feeling it will end up being more expensive than buying a discounted Complete edition,

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Starter edition is basically a scam, so you'll be grinding for some time. If you like the game enough I'd just throw more cash at it to unlock operators with credits. It's about 20 bucks worth or R6 credits to buy the Y1 or Y2 operator bundle, so buy one or both of those. The DLC operators are all pretty good but some of them are twists on the base game operators and you won't really "need" them.

Don't buy castle nor tachanka
Buy either rook or doc, but not both, they're super similar load-out and in role
Ash and jäger are top tier and never bad picks
If you buy the Y1 operators, don't get sledge, because Buck is really similar
If you buy the Y1 operators, don't get Thermite, because Hibana fulfills the same role

I'd say, if you're willing to spend 20 bucks but not 40, to go for the Y1 operators. The Year 2 ones are fun but more situational, I feel, whereas there is some overlap between Y1 and base game operators in terms of playing style or role.

EDIT: a discounted Complete Edition is definitely the best value for your money right now. In terms of time saved, you're better off working an hour overtime at your job and shelling out the extra bucks to just buy the whole package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Castle needs a buff for sure, but he is still a good OP for slowing down or even loving teams with bad composition. Last night a teammate peaked a rushing Ash, and I pumped sledge's feet full of lead, and the attackers didn't have anyone else that could blast in. We slowed their assault to a screeching halt while they kept trying to punch poo poo open or flank the non castled window.

• Locked thread