Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice OP, Hard. Actually hadn't thought of the "Make a hole on top of walls and place a cam in it to cover two rooms at once" Valk trick you posted, somehow - even after playing her a reasonable amount over my couple hundred hours of playtime on this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Finlands Sexiest posted:

So that's what's in the canister!

Dammit, you shouldn't have said that so loudly! Smoke made it clear that no one was allowed to find out what's inside the canister :commissar:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, has anyone else been receiving error messages stating "Update Failed" when attempting to search for a lobby in MP or terrorist hunt modes? It's been an issue for me since the last patch what, a week or so ago I guess?
I can get around it by being invited by a friend and having them search for a game, but it's quite annoying when I'm trying to play alone. Validating the game files in Steam doesn't turn anything up - that says everything is there and looks good, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

lohli posted:

add a little generic t-hunt terrorist charm

Maybe even add in the mask all the generic terrorists wear, as a headgear option for most (if not all) operatives, if you've killed X terrorists in t-hunt? Either way, I like the idea

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Is the rubber-banding still really bad for anybody else playing on US East? It's been days now and fairly constant. Starting to wonder if it's not a problem somewhere in the middle between where I am (Maryland) and wherever the East servers are. Issue seems to persist from both my place and my GFs, and only for Siege.

Can't tell if it's just the holiday rush crushing the Ubi potato servers or not.

I'm in Australia, but after a few rounds each day I consistently start getting severe rubberbanding that lasts the rest of the day and makes the game unplayable. It's only been happening the last few weeks, and it's definitely not being caused by lag.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

IceOrb posted:

That's a feature. ;)

Yeah, and I've found that if you run up to one of the duds (as Hibana at least) and whack one with your gun, they'll instantly explode. Not great for your health, but well...it's better than nothing, right? :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

lohli posted:

Do you mean they'll explode and blow a hole in the thing they were attached to or just that they'll do damage to you without wrecking walls?

Also the most annoying thing with Hibana is it seeming like you can get the gadget through a pretty big hole but apparently the hole isn't actually big enough so now you have 6 explody things sitting on the edge of a hole taunting you.

Fix your game

Yeah, it blows through the wall, too. So it's sort of similar to what happens with Sledge, I suppose; you need to whack the wall (/pellet on the wall) and then quickly back off from the hole so you're not exposed, before someone on the other side shoots you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, is it just me, or is rubberbanding occurring more and more frequently? Since after the last patch the other week, I've been rubberbanding more and more - it's actually gotten to the point where I'm nearly constantly rubberbanding, and a few others ingame have apparently been noticing it happening to them, too.
Incredibly frustrating, as it's not my connection and verifying the game cache has no affect. Nothing in regards to my connection or PC has changed recently, and other games are fine - so there's no obvious culprit, aside from the game itself. I've had no issues in my ~230 hours of playtime up until recently, but sadly it's becoming increasingly unplayable. :( (Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't get the Y2 pass - I might if things actually get better for me and the first batch of operators aren't bad, but drat this is really pushing me away from the game)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sdoots posted:

Is there a setup for my guns that's considered ideal? Do I want a certain sight over another, or is it just whichever I think would be best for looking at the bad guys? Do the other players see my laser sight?

Help me Siege goons!

Don't use laser sights as everyone sees the dot (and I don't really notice much of an increase in hip-fire accuracy anyway, in all honesty), aside from maybe if you're a shield user.
In any case, I normally use the red dot sight on all guns aside from the semi-auto DMRs as well as Thermite+Hibana's rifles (which I use ACOG sights on). This is because I don't think you really need the added magnification for the vast majority of guns as most combat will take place in CQB scenarios, and I find the added peripheral with red dot sights is more useful.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Shotguns are noticably tighter with laser dots, they might be worth it

Oh, I hadn't noticed that (although I rarely use shotguns, so no surprise there), although I did hear in this thread that aiming down the sight actually makes the pellet grouping tighter/smaller as well. If so, do both advantages stack, and make an ultra-tight grouping? :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wooper posted:

why would the laser pointer hip fire advantage stack with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcKkVGQks4I

One bonus plus another bonus equals two bonuses (or rather, one larger bonus)? :D I wasn't being serious when I said that, though - frankly there shouldn't be bonuses to how tight your buckshot grouping is, aside from distance to target.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The ACOG is good, but I still prefer the others most of the time. If I need to pick a head out of noise then they're probably waiting for me and I'm already dead. I don't like losing so much peripheral vision most of the time. I think the ACOG is more valuable for defenders.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. I particularly like the ACOG on Jager, and being the aforementioned defender hiding behind a desk between two lamps and a pile of books. (Although normally I find myself using Bandit, in which case I'm going 100% CQB, so I use the red dot sight on him, anyway.)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If someone takes legit 3+ minutes to load every round, they should be auto-kicked :argh:

Yeah, it gets pretty annoying after the first couple of times. I can accept it being slow for the first round (since sometimes my PC takes a little longer than the average time for round one even, and I don't have issues with other games), but if it's like that every round? Yeah nah, it's time to buy a new machine

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wooper posted:

Ubisoft has one good game but you can't play it anymore.

Don't tell me something's happened to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory!?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hard posted:

Very first game i've ''fixed''.

Ah, very nice! Wasn't aware of that. What other games have you had involvement in, out of curiosity? (Apologies if this has already been discussed multiple times in the past)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So just getting back into playing this. Last time I played they just released the dude with the bear trap. Did they ever make tachanka or IQ better?

Yeah they did. IQ's electronics detector now allows you to see people, etc. through it (so it doesn't JUST show electronics and block everything else out now), and Tachanka's MG has a glass shield, similar to Blackbeard's.

EDIT: They also buffed Pulse so that he's great, then debuffed him so he's worse than what he was originally.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jehde posted:

Pulse is still way easier to play than he originally was.

Really? I never had any issues playing as Classic Pulse, but I dunno, I just feel like the more limited range hurts me more when I play as him now. Probably just me though - I don't really play him often nowadays anyway.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can someone tell me which 2 operators from each nationality/division I should unlock with my starting Renown? Everyone says get Fuse, Thermite, Ash but I want to hear your opinions on it. Thanks very much.

Eh, I dunno - for defenders I'd probably say Rook, Jager or Doc, myself. They'll allow you to be useful to the team, while you learn the ropes and figure out how the other operators are being used by friendlies. (like Mute, for example - he has two 'stages' with his jammers, which isn't necessarily apparent for newbies. First is to block doors/hallways to stop drones from reaching the objective, and then the next is to move them to jam breaching charges, etc on the walls and windows. Once you know that though, he's pretty easy and extremely useful)
For attackers I'd say Sledge, Thermite (if you don't mind his slow RoF), Ash or maybe Fuze, if you know to not use him on hostage maps. (Or if you do, use it on rooms near the objective where enemies are lurking; not on the objective itself)

EDIT: vvv Good point; I had forgotten about Thatcher

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 6, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kikas posted:

I've had a fun bug where I died on airplane defense and when I died one of my buddies cam was nothing but a floating gun. And it took me one kill by that buddy to realize that the floating gun that I was seeing belonged to Twitch.

Who is obviously an attacker. I have somehow gained access to the enemy point of view. Confused as gently caress I decided to fully exploit this and brought my lone buddy to victory by telling him exactly everything. It worked (barely). I might upload the video for it, but it's gonna be full of polish rambling :v:

The Duggler posted:

Please upload that video

I must see it

Do it! Do iiiiiiiiit! I have got to see this! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

tjones posted:

Lol someone hit him with a black eye. If that were to happen to you, how exactly would you get it off of yourself? Ahaha.

I've had someone throw a blackeye at me before (headshot, too! Probably did give me a black eye :v:), although from memory it just hit me then fell to the floor. That did happen a while ago though, so they could've broken/changed something regarding that, since then.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

It says "hold box to revive" instead of "to interrogate".

Don't you auto-die if someone fails to pick you up after like, 2-3 goes? If so, (and if the Cav player noticed the prompt) they could've quickly initiated and then cancelled the revive a few times, to kill them off quickly. :v: (Although naturally they wouldn't get the advantage of having performed an interrogation)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sdr782 posted:

So apparently IQ can see enemies on cameras with her gadget now.

If IQ can see the phone/tablet they're using to view the cameras, then excellent! She should've been able to do that before. (Or do you mean IQ can see their entire silhouette/ghost?) With that and the new frags someone mentioned here (still at work, so I haven't played yet), I might start using IQ more, again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hold F to drop defuser.
Hold F to scan.

Do you see the problem, Hard?

It's Ubisoft's way of saying that winning via bomb defusal is the coward's way out! :v:

Also, after actually getting a chance to play the game post-update, is Mira's armour actually based on real-life body armour? It just seems like the colonial marine armour out of Aliens, to me

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

The increased amount of players is making me feel like I'm good at the game cause they keep walking into my Kapkan traps.

Oh yeah, tell me about it! I got 3/3 on my Kapkan traps in a round the other day, before the update hit. :clint:
(I keep telling myself it's skill on my part...but in my heart I know it ain't true :saddowns:)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

afkmacro posted:

servers just died :(

Argh, is there any ETA on the UPlay servers coming back up again? I tried checking the Ubisoft news pages for Aus and UK, however they all give runtime errors, so I'm assuming all things Siege are down. Great timing, as always; peak Aus gaming-time on a Friday night...

EDIT1: Ah, it's finally back up again! Thanks for reacting to my post so quickly, before even writing a reply, Hard! :v:

EDIT2: Wait, nevermind - easy come, easy go. I can connect to UPlay and get into the game now, but I can't connect to Siege's servers. Ubi! :arghfist::saddowns:
(Jesus, must I go through all five stages of grief, before being allowed to play Siege tonight? :v:)

EDIT3: It's back! Now, time to get some rounds in, before it dies again! And for gently caress's sake, tell the boys in the server room to properly tuck the ethernet cables in! No more tripping over them and causing them to disconnect, please! :D

EDIT4: Down again, before even finishing matchmaking... :smithicide:
Urgh, I think I've finally reached the 'acceptance' stage of grief. Tomorrow it is, then.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 10, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Works here.

What happens if you turn on desktop recording, start recording in desktop mode, and then fullscreen Rainbow Six?

Works fine for me, and mine's just set up the normal way. I did update it right before the last update though, so maybe Basticle has an old version?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Duggler posted:

It would be cool to have the option to have operators speak in their native languages.

Maybe I've been playing too much xcom

I like that in games too, however I think realistically, in Rainbow (esp. as it was formed by a Seppo and is based in the UK) if that were to happen, no one would have any chance of being able to understand one another. :v:
Sort of like how English is the language used by pilots and air traffic control; just to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jesus Basticle, maybe you should just stop standing around so close to the objective room when you know Fuze is planting his gadget, huh? :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I have all the standard operators but none of the DLC ones and I'm getting close to 25k (well not THAT close but I've had a good rate of gain lately so it won't be too long). Which one should I get first? Originally I was planning to get Caviera just because her ability sounds kind of cool on paper but in practice I think I would be terrible as her since I don't really know the maps well enough to be an effective roamer.

Hibana's the best choice, in my opinion. Then maybe Valk?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

hi new player here uh why is this game so loving huge

Have you got the high-res texture pack? If so, that's why. :v:
If not, eh I dunno, it's not that big

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If they TK the same person in the game twice, or maybe three times, the get kicked. If they TK and kill the hostage, they get kicked.

I'm not an expert.

Yeah it's twice, and includes hostages and team mates in that - so it can be two hostage kills, as well. Although if the TKer is in a group, they can easily spread the TKs amongst themselves, without any real repercussions :v:
(at this stage it seems, anyway. Hopefully the reporting suggestions mentioned earlier are implemented)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Is anyone else getting connection errors 9/10 times the round starts? Because ever since this patch hit, it's been happening to me. (I seem to be having all the luck with R6 issues, lately...)

EDIT: And then rubberbanding on the one round that connects..

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 22, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone else feel like sometimes their mouse sensitivity changes from play session to session? Sometimes when I launch the game I swear it feels more sluggish/zippy than before.

Yeah, I experience that as well with R6, now and again. Haven't had it with other games, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Orv posted:

Smoke, Mute, Thatcher, Kapkan, Sledge and Blitz are all on the short list of "Would probably be doing the terrorism if Rainbow hadn't picked them up."

Not to mention the resident drug dealer Bandit!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hard posted:

Not fixing anything, working on new op http://imgur.com/gallery/hJF05

Christ almighty, PLEASE tell me this was part of an actual operation, and not some bizarre training/trial op! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mans posted:

Support has to know that you've done what they asked. You know how many dumbasses just blaze through instructions without doing them?

This. I'd love to sympathize and potentially offer help, but Berzerker, I'd really like to see your original ticket, since often the issue description/performed troubleshooting will be poorly documented, and/or lied about, as Mans said. (Not saying that's the case for you, but their support team has to check - they can't just take people at their word, when end users go around saying they've implemented the 'fix' properly but are still having isssues. :v:)
Just saying this from an IT support technician's perspective myself, is all - I'm not trying to have a go or anything, I just want to help make their mindset/process clearer to people.

The Berzerker posted:

Also my PSN has the word DADDY in it and last night I played terrorist hunt with a man who kept calling me DADDY but kept getting increasingly uncomfortable about it, A+

But holy poo poo that's hilarious, hahaha :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He should have those metal ball gernades from swat4 just on his shield

Ah, 'stingers' or whatever they called them? Yeah! :getin:
(Always liked chucking those into enclosed spaces with both civilians and criminals trapped inside)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You get used to them. There's only ever two and they have a huge aggro range for loud noises so just try to draw them in

I've found that there's often three - not always, though. I'm not sure if that's because I'm (possibly) playing at a different difficulty level, though.
But yeah, the best solution is to draw them out (either right at the start, or a bit later on when you've cleared out some of the regular schmos. (Since otherwise you'll get a load of them coming out at you, as well)

EDIT:

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Never play terrorist hunt. Just inflict your lack of knowledge on pubs in the casual queue.

This works too

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, a couple of nights ago a friend of mine (Rottenflieger) and I started up R6S after nearly two months of not playing any FPS' at all, and these two rounds happened. Neither were aces exactly, but for someone as rusty as me, (as the only FPS I've played in ages is Siege, and even then, I haven't played it much in the last 3-4 months or so...) I thought it went alright, as my first foray into the game in a while! At least I'm not total poo poo after this time, haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTUh1wU1dYo (NOTE: Feel free to ignore my "I WONDER WHERE THEY ARE!?" :hurr: comment, since we had a glitch all match where the objective would be in the exact same room for both sides, haha)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXOKdhWE-Fs (DOUBLE NOTE: Taz/Tazo is my doggo, who's a 30-35kg Greyhound who can stand up, put his paws on a 6'1" person's shoulders and look 'em square in the eye...so yeah, the stray Maremma I mentioned is uh, quite big!)

So there you go, that's the story of my return to Siege. Hopefully nobody who (actually bothered to waste their time watching my Shadowplay vids) felt that their time was being wasted too much! :D No refunds offered though, either way (and don't judge me for screwing up my blackeye throw in that second vid!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Montagne can be legitimately good/terrifying, if used in a team that coordinates properly (or even just with 1-2 people who coordinate - I use Monty with a friend of mine in casual all the time, to great effect)

• Locked thread