Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hard posted:

MMR matched you with unranked lvls 18 and 20.

Thats a general idea of your skill range.

e: *rifle sound with my mouth.

:iceburn:

lohli posted:

Normally I'd put this sort of thing down to a lack of reading comprehension, but I think a better explanation is that you don't know how your game works, which I think explains a lot about the state it's in. :dukedog:

:eyepop:

drat, this page - so good! :D Speaking of which, I know I ask here now and again, but are there any Ausgoons here, who play on PC/Steam? If so, my profile is here - I play quite often, and can always do with more teammates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hey Hard.

There is a thing every now and then where we're in a full group, get a game, then when we're loaded in, we have some random pubbie and our 5th is stuck at the main menu.

Nah, that's working as intended - the game is just forcingguiding you to slowly make new friends to play with, instead of merely permitting you to play exclusively with the same boring people :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Why is he putting anything other than an ACOG on it?

By saying "ACOG" you're actually referring to the red dot sight, I hope!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey Hard, I just had a game where someone from opfor dropped out of the game, and someone else took their place - however they never seemed to connect properly, so we were stuck on the initial loading screen indefinitely. They tried vote-kicking the guy, but there wasn't an option to kick them. (Presumably as they hadn't fully connected)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=948725350
...Just uh, ignore my 0-0-1 score...I was being a decoy + spotting enemies as Monty, and didn't end up getting any, myself!

I've got a shadowplay video as well, but I'd rather not bog down my lovely Australian connection by uploading it, unless you think it'll be beneficial.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hard posted:

This sucks, do you vaguely remember the timestamp when it happened.

Sure thing - it was 6:14PM 17/06/17 ACST when it happened. (So what's that - 4:44AM US East time?) And Joeslop's right - it just seems to stay broken, no matter how long you wait.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thief posted:

bandit is fun. sometimes i just straight up ignore saving walls because its funny when they are rushing in the last 10 seconds and have to deal with this:

:getin: I love using Bandit on hostage matches too, (I actually never use him on secure or bomb matches - only hostage) for this very reason! They always just dive onto the wire, get shocked a bit, before pulling back out of the wire and waste their last seconds figuring out what just hurt them. (Even better if they notice the batteries and spray them, incapping the hostage. I always put them right by the hostage too, so this happens quite often)
So fun! :D Bandit on hostage and Frost on secure+bomb is so good, people just can't deal with well-placed, annoying traps properly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thief posted:

also is blackbeard that bad or have people just forgotten how to play pirate peekaboo, he might be my most ignored operator lately

Yeah, Blackbeard's shield is absolute rubbish, now. Plus he's slower to aim down his sights, than at his initial release. Whenever I round a corner as a defender and find BB peeking through the corner of a window, I can fire a 2-3 round burst (depending on the gun) to shatter his shield and shoot him in the head, without any worries.
I don't think I've been killed by him at all in recent times, aside from maybe once or twice when he's been lurking in a corner behind me or something. Same for all my friends - BB just isn't that good anymore. Bit sad, really. :( (I agree that he did need a nerf, but the outcome of his nerfs has been a bit much)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

From the Steam trading card for Castle:

quote:

...Sledge can knock it down in 2 hits with his hammer,Rainbow Six Siege but the noise he makes will be more than enough warning for the Defenders behind Castle’s walls.
Why did Castle get nerfed, Hard?

:aaaaa: Wow, I didn't realize that was ever the case! Yeah, that would've been great - since at this stage Sledge is the bane of Castle's existence. Now I'm curious to know why Castle (of all people!) was nerfed, since the advance warning that 'thud' would provide would be extremely useful.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bilal posted:

I opened my first free pack, played a little bit, and won another match. I had a 5% chance of getting an alpha pack, and I got one. Played a few more matches, won another, and I had a 4% chance of getting an alpha pack- and I got it. No complaints here, the opening animation is dope- easily the best loot crate opening animation of any game made so far.

Wow, you guys seem to have all the luck! I don't seem to be able to get any, unless I've got a high percentage.
...And as a result of this, I decided to cut to the chase and buy two packs with renown...The first one was a duplicate common item (refunding me 300 of my 5000 spent) and the other was another common headgear for the one Operator I don't have - Jackal. :saddowns: I guess that'll teach me for sinking 10,000 into two packs, rather than saving it to put towards one of the next operators!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey Hard, I've got a couple of issues to report. Firstly, I'm not sure if it's well known already, but one of my friends was spawn-killed on Oregon (shot in the head the second the game started! Urgh) by someone leaning through the window below. We started off to the east of the tower in this screenshot, by the way.

Also, at least one of Pulse's headgear items is messed up. From really close-up it appears fine however the further back you go, the blacker his face gets. I can confirm his Black Ice glasses+face paint is affected (for both myself and a friend, so it's not just a local issue), however his Velvet Shell glasses appears fine.
Here are a couple of screenshots, so you can admire his new look:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1088362066
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024279903/screenshot/850469837815592723
At least his nose appears to be fine, if that's any consolation? :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 24, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

This spawn kill is less common but ridiculously easy. I do it every game. You need a shield set up perpendicular to the window, then you vault up in the construction materials next to the window and just run onto the shield. EZPZ

Yeah, I suspected they must've been doing something funky with barriers; since it did look like they were in the window frame. Thanks for the confirmation though. Hopefully those building materials can be moved a couple of metres away or something, to avoid this happening...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

plehsistential posted:

Crashing every other game, thanks Operation Health :thumbsup:

Looks like Operation Health is finally working as intended, by forcing you to stop playing the game - in the hopes that you'll look after your real health by engaging in outdoor activities! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I use the Discord mobile app to chat now and again, too. :shrug:
(I'd use Discord for Siege with goons as well, but sadly you all appear to be in the US and EU, rather than Australia/NZ)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
FINALLY got an ace, after over 340hrs playtime! (After many, many 4K+1A and 3K+2A rounds, urgh) And as Castle of all people, too! I think I love the UMP now, after the last couple of days. I swear it's better than it was twelve months ago, when I last used him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEbxP8Z7qt8
I totally thought I was going to die the whole way through, after hearing all the enemies drop down around the corner from me, but somehow survived. Terrifying experience though, that's for sure..

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Take the French shotgun. Take it, use it, love it. FBI shotguns are garbage, Frost's is good, haven't used Valk/Cav/Mira/Jackal's enough to know.

Hm, I'm curious to know what you think of the SAS shotgun, if you like the GIGN one. I've actually met a reasonable level of success with the semi-auto FBI one, on close-quarters maps like House. I never used to be a huge fan of pump-action ones due to the slow rate of fire. I have been thinking about trying to use shotguns more lately though, and if they're actually decent at incapacitating people from one hit, I might start using them. (But would you really advise taking a shotgun over a P90? Seems hard to believe!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Draxion posted:

Thatcher is actually really good in a huge majority of situations, it's just that when those don't happen his gadget is mostly useless. He wipes out Mute, Bandit, Jager, and Kapkan's gadgets and I see one or two of those guys in almost every match. People laughing at a Thatch pick seem like they're focusing only on the games where you don't need him, rather than the really large number where you do.

Yeah, I think he gets a lot of poo poo as his gadget is a purely utility-based one (unlike Ash, Sledge, Thermite, etc.) and, unlike IQ, not only is his gadget is limited in quantity, his rifles are also pretty 'meh' overall. (At least, in my experience they are. The L85 is alright, however his other rifle has a bad damage drop-off over distance from memory, unless they fixed that)

He's very useful though; especially in situations like the top room in Favela, where you can just drop some EMP charges on the roof around the walls, and take out all of the jammers, etc that are inside. Which then leaves the defenders completely exposed to Thermite, Hibana and Fuze. Pretty under-rated operator overall, I think. (Just as long as you remember to EMP the outside of walls Jager has his gadgets near! I've seen far too many Thatchers keep throwing their EMP charges into the objective room over and over, only to have see them be destroyed :v: )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

swims posted:

Thanks guys but no one is answering the main question: is there an M14 in this game? If not, why; if yes, who?

No there isn't, unfortunately. As for the why, well, you'll need to ask Hard that, I'm afraid! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AbortRetryFail posted:

My favourite castle zone is construction entrance to basement on Oregon. You can force them through all 3 castle barricades while shooting at their feet and throwing impact grenades the entire way, and if it's just ash she sometimes gets stuck at barricade 3 after wasting her 2 breach rounds and just leaves and goes home.

I actually did this just last night! :D However instead of Ash, it was Hibana (actually both, but Ash didn't use her charges, and I killed her through a murderhole watching that first door), so Hibana ran out of breaching charges. That went so well for us, as they didn't have Thermite.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

1.If you were grabbed by a Spy or pinned down by a Merc, you could talk to the guy you were about to kill/knock out

2.Spies had some kind of tracking/microphone bullet that would let you hear the enemies talking, and since the multiplayer was only 2v2 you REALLY wanted to know what they were talking about.

3. Not multiplayer related, but in the co-op campaign of Chaos Theory if you were using a microphone you had to actually whisper to talk to your buddy since the game picked up your voice and enemies would hear you. Which also lead to a lot physically yelling "HEY FUCKHEAD,OVER HERE" when you wanted a guard to come running from a long distance.

drat, yeah I remember those days! :allears: I would love it, if they ever brought out a SC Spies vs Mercs game in a similar vein to how they've been doing Siege. (Although obviously more Splinter Cell-y) Since hearing the merc players talking about where they thought we were (which was way off) while I was dangling overhead was so good, then hearing them go 'ah poo poo!' when you drop down on top of them, or pull them over railings was the best.
I'd forgotten about that SC:CT coop thing, though. That was great, since as you said, the mic detection thing was more beneficial than not, a lot of the time - at least for my friend and I, as we tended to split up and distract enemies for one another, etc. :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ularg posted:

Chaos Theory multiplayer and coop were too good for us.

I remembered playing spy just doing the Jaws theme hoping to piss off or scare the mercs.

haha it was so good, doing things like that. Also funny when both spies took it in turns making loud noises by sprinting or rolling/jumping, etc. around the mercs (like on metal grating overhead, or around a corner, etc) and just ran off, allowing you to do the same from the other side.
Since I did that sometimes, just getting the mercs to panic and spray all over the place, like it was something out of Aliens :unsmigghh:

EDIT: Oh, the above was mostly in Double Agent's SvM mode, though. I loved how fast you could run around and climb, etc as a spy in that one.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ularg posted:

Okay I'm really okay now with the SAS shotgun and Frost has a really good shotgun too.

Yeah, I'm starting to like the SAS shotgun too, now. I don't use it on larger maps like Bartlett or Border, but I love it on tight maps like House and Plane. I've mostly been using it on Sledge (and whenever I occasionally use Smoke) and it's been great - just need to remember to treat the MAC11 as the primary weapon when navigating down halls, etc. and only swap to the shotgun when entering smallish rooms, and approaching doors.
One-hit DBNO heavies like Rook and Doc too, so it's not bad! Presents a lot of opportunities where you can use Sledge's hammer on downed opponents too, which is always good for a laugh :D

EDIT: I don't think I'll ever stop using Frost's C1 Sterling (w/ extend-a-barrel) though, as it's just too good

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 16, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Have this pic of Jager and his jazz hands, which was taken earlier after Montagne got a random headshot on him and quickly re-deployed his shield :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kikas posted:

Isn't that a toggle in the options, just like you can toggle that you can drop all 3 of Smoke Gas canisters and activate them with different buttons?

:aaaaa: I never knew you could do this! Do you recall what the option is called, for that? Since the only "gadget toggle? Y/N" option I've found in the past didn't seem to have an effect for any of the operators.
As a Monty-user, I was really hoping it would allow me to toggle Montagne's shield, but unless I'm wrong (please tell me I'm wrong) there's no option for that. :sigh:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thief posted:

smoke owns and giving him a team fortress demoman option to loving lockdown all entrances in the last second would be amazing

Oh man, or even just like, a two-door hallway/room they need (or are likely to) go through to reach the objective! Put one canister by each door, then one somewhere in the middle of the room (or however it'll best balance out, so that gas fills the entire room) and watch as they either die, or sprint into an ambush and get shot. Better yet if you have Echo (or even one of Valk's cams) in the room, to hit them with concussion waves, at the same time as the gas is released.

I'm still at work so I can't check, but are you able to set it so that throwing the canisters and detonating all of the canisters (as in, simultaneously, not individually as Kikas mentioned earlier) at once are just two different buttons? If so, I think I've just found my new defence main! :black101:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Duggler posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that

Hmm. But you can still do them individually like Kikas mentioned, right? :ohdear: I certainly hope so, since even that'll work well enough for the scenario I mentioned above.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That seems super weak. Let it tap into their comms until he/she's killed but it requires you to kill someone Caveira style and take their earpiece

I think these ideas you two are coming up with are pretty good - although if it requires a Cav-style kill, I think you should be able to hear all voice comms plus character call-outs (i.e. Rook shouting "RELOADING!") for a limited -yet lengthy- period of time, like a minute. (It could even be fluffed that that's the amount of time until 'OPFOR command' realizes and changes which channel they're all talking on, or something :v: )
Very interesting, though; I think it would be a popular choice. (Even in casual, since although VOIP is less used there, you'll still be able to hear stuff that the characters say)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Im surprised Plane didnt get the axe. Its pretty bad on offense.

Because Plane is the best map, followed by House :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

What bizzaro world is this?! :psyduck:

I'm afraid to say I'm gonna have to agree with Ularg here on this one, Knifegrab! :v:

Ularg posted:

And I thought your opinions couldn't get worse. :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, laser sights are pretty useless. Every time I spectate a team member who has a laser sight, they get shot because they're giving their position away. I guess it's not so bad if you aim at door frames, etc. instead of through the door, but then if someone DOES pop through the doorway you need to readjust your aim before you shoot - which I think is worse than simply not taking the laser sight to begin with, for the same outcome of not having your presence be given away. :shrug:
(Plus I'm pretty sure they fixed the bug where laser sights tightened your buckshot grouping when using shotguns, so it's no longer useful in that regard, either)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just curious...if you put one of the new 40dmg Kapkan traps (which I think is way underpowered; should be 60, or at least 50) at head-height, if someone walks into it, would it still just do 40dmg, or would it be an instant kill/head-"shot", as it blew up in their face?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Orv posted:

Yeah I mean a physical spike. Next time you happen to be in a safe place in a room getting Fuze'd look over to where it's happening, there's a big metal dick it sticks through now.

Yeah, that came out not too long ago - Fuze's charge still used to have one prior to this huge one, but it was tiny, originally. It's quite good though, if you're daring enough to pop out, shoot where the metal tube meets the wall/window, then leg it, so that Fuze isn't able to fire off quite as many cluster-bombs. Worked for me enough times - although the one bomb that is able to be discharged still always somehow manages to kill a couple of grouped up team mates! :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Although you might want to attach a slightly larger screenshot though, so that the chat can be read! :v:

• Locked thread