Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hey guys, a friend bought this for me during the free weekend and I've played a bit of it since. We have about 14 hours under our belts but we still get our asses kicked like every single match. It's loads of fun but I'm wondering how to get better at this? My greatest problem seems to be that as defenders, I never know which walls to reinforce or where to put traps or anything. Do you just wing it, or is there a rule of thumb I can learn? Or does it all come down to map knowledge?

I also have a lot of trouble in that I get lost all the time. When walls get reinforced it almost feels claustrophobic on defence. I have no idea which rooms connect where and how, and I've had my team yell at me for running past the objective or stairs and stuff. Do I just get in custom games by myself and try to memorize the map lay-outs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I use headphones and am aware of sound and stuff, yeah. I do have a problem that everyone who speaks in voice chat sounds really muffled/soft and I have no idea what they're saying. I'm not sure if this is a general problem in siege but my friends and I just use steam voice instead because in-game you just can't hear anyone. But it's a problem when some pubbie with a strong Italian accent whispers into the microphone because he doesn't want to wake up his mama at 1 in the morning and he gets saltier and saltier as we ask him to speak up.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I have all the base operators I want (everyone except Glaz, Tachanka, Doc, Blitz and Smoke) and I'm saving up renown for the DLC operators. It's one hell of a grind, to the point where I'm considering whether filling in surveys for cash and buying R6 credits with it might be a faster way to unlock poo poo than playing the game.

Anyway, the DLC operators look either kinda meh, or I'm not confident enough in my ability yet to use the map dependent ones (Valkyrie and Mira look fun). Obviously I'd try them all out if I had the time and money but I'm going to have to be picky. Which DLC operators would you recommend as the most interesting for a rookie player?

But I'm also considering saving up for a universal weapon skin instead, preferably as gaudy as humanly possible. I actually got the Valentine's day skins unlocked via the challenges but forgot to cash them in because I didn't know you had to do that for the uplay weekly challenges, so I'm bummed about that.

Anyhow, if I understand it correctly, I can buy a Seasonal skin like crossfader or El Dorado and apply it to all operators forever, with the exception of new DLC operators coming out after Velvet Shell? In that case I'm tempted to buy one cool seasonal skin and put that on every gun while I slowly grind out more year 1 DLC operators.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Aight, super. Buck seems a bit meh honestly (not that different from sledge) but I was eyeing Jackal and Valkyrie.

As for the skins, I think I'll buy one if they apply to year 1 and Y2. Crossfader seems underwhelming in videos so it's probably going to be El Dorado. Hopefully I can grind renown fast enough for it before the season ends.

EDIT: I can't actually access the in-game store because it's not installed on my laptop. Is the ratio of renown-to-R6 credits different for operators and cosmetics, or is it constant? I'm wondering if I'd be better off using my credits for one or the other and getting the rest with renown.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 23, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Are you supposed to only be able to have 2 weekly challenges active at once? I thought it was normal but my friends can have 4 and I don't think they have a yearly pass. But every time I try to add a third one uPlay tells me "you can't perform this action right now".

I'm starting to think this is because during Valentine's day week, I added the two challenges to get the skin and charm, but forgot to cash them in. So maybe uPlay thinks I still have those two active, although they don't show up in my list? Is this a known issue? :(

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

lohli posted:

It means you have old completed challenges you haven't collected the reward for, log in to club.ubi.com and click on Siege then challenges to collect on them and then you should be able to add more challenges in game right away.

Perfect, I was expecting it was something like this. Thank you!

EDIT: will the Y1 operators bundle be purchasable forever? Or does Ubisoft intend to drop it from the store page at some point in the future?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 2, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

my kinda ape posted:

Well they don't exactly tell us most of their plans ahead of time but as a company that exists for the purpose of making money do you think they'd remove the ability for players to pay money to unlock something?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They've done it before. Exclusivity drives future sales.

Exactly this. If the idea is "buy your goodies with our funbux RIGHT NOW or grind for 120 hours starting next month" you bet your rear end people will be tempted to buy it before they're locked out forever.

Otherwise there'd be no point in the exclusivity of seasonal skins etc either.

I don't expect Ubisoft to pull the pack without any announcement but I jumped into the siege ship rather late (during Y2) so maybe they mentioned the pack being time-limited at some point and I missed it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

my kinda ape posted:

Possible, but purely cosmetic weapon skins are pretty different from playable characters. I guess worst case you could still buy them with clancybucks for x% more than the pack would cost you. How much of a savings is the pack anyway?

50% which is why I'm eyeing it. If it stays for a year or more I'll nab it at some point in the future and invest my renown on Y2 operators. If not then I'll reconsider this plan.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I had a clutch ace where I killed 4 guys as Jäger (peeking from the windows to kill 2, and sprinting into objective while they were securing to kill 2 more) and I was out of ammo and whipped out my pistol to finish off a wounded guy, then in the objective room was Montagne, backed into a corner, and I held him up at gunpoint. For approximately 45 seconds I had to listen to 3 guys screaming contradicting orders at me like "Reload your loving assault rifle loving noob!!" and "Watch out, for Sledge, watch out for sledge!!" (He was dead) while I waited for him to make a move.

I finished him with a single headshot when he went for an aimed shot but holy hell that was the longest minute of my life.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
As someone who joined just before velvet shell dropped: Casual was a very rough first exposure. I actually went into ranked with friends to grind to level 10 instead of sitting it out in pain like that.

I'm still not very good at the game and our MMR tanked, but it was better than getting my teeth kicked in while I didn't even know which rooms connected to which.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Loopoo posted:

Why do people care so much about skins? 90% of skins make you so easy to spot. If I ever use skins, I use skins that match the map so I'm harder to see, instead of going with the goofy-rear end gold / red poo poo that makes me stick out like a sore thumb.

I dropped my first 25k renown on a rad skin.

Style is more important than substance, my friend. If I'm spawnpeeking on House every round then I want people to remember who killed them, and it's my signature conquistador skin that reminds them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Nickname Pending posted:

I'm not 100%, but I think that skin is going away at the end of the season?

My understanding is that you can no longer purchase it after this season, but if you own it, you can keep using it forever?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Maps aren't even part of the season's pass, they're free for everyone as soon as they drop. Maybe the Polish map will be released "whenever it's ready" like how bartlett University was dropped.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The 20 win ones don't even give renown and xp is meaningless. Unless you really want that charm, just ignore them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

All I have is a black screen with sound. Is this the joke or is Youtube borking up?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sounds like a Yourtube problem.

Worked suddenly when I woke up this morning. I have no idea why it did that with every video on the channel but not on other channels.

Youtube!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is there any confirmation as to when the alpha packs loot drops are going live? It looks like a great way for me to catch up as somebody who joined right at the end of Y1.

Also, they should let them drop operators as legendaries. For no particular reason other than to let me nab a DLC operator now and then without having to grind out a month's worth of renown for it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Next Tuesday apparently.

That would be amazing, though I read elsewhere that it'd be update 2.2.2. So late July or early August.

Crossing my fingers for Tuesday though. I'm addicted to rolling dice and unlocking stupid cosmetics.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Flipswitch posted:

Is the game fixed yet? me and a friend are gonna start playing sometime next week.

You're in luck, you're joining in the middle of the big fixing season.

So you should see improvements happening in front of thine very own eyes!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Tried my hand at ranked again for the first time since I bought the game. 4 placement matches. Each of them I have a 2.0 kdr and still lose.

Just had a match where I finished 12/5 and still lost.

I'm going to hit copper IV again, just like when I bought the game and had 0 map knowledge.

:smithicide:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I'm not even solo-queuing. I played with 2 friends and they both got a respectable kdr around 1:1, except in the ONE match where we had a good pubbie on our team, where my friends totally dropped the ball.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 8, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hard posted:

Yeah but didn't Jean-Paul Sartre ultimately explained that the individuals surrounding him were just a reflection of himself. ;)

:negative:

I'll see if I can bolster all of my energy into a carry or two tonight. If not, I will gaze unto the Copper IV abyss once again.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
No, Hard, don't tell him!

Jean-Paul Sartre is Doc's real name, and also, there is a tie-in play and some books written from his perspective.

Rook's name is Albert Camus, though you may find the tie-in novel The Stranger rather distasteful.

EDIT: I got a single win, finally. Every other match a loss once more.

2 more placement matches and I'll see from which low, low rung I'll have to drag myself up.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 8, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I had a few good experiences on attack as Glaz where, without fail, a defender would rush out and try to get a cheeky spawnkill on us, and every single time I rewarded him with a bullet between the eyes. You'd think they'd learn after the second time, but no.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Another good one is right behind a shield in a doorframe leading into the objective room. If they're starved for time they might be forced to take the leap of faith and if somebody is covering the door the attacker has the option of a) shooting your trap and getting shot in return for sure, or b) taking uncertain shots at the defender and jumping into your trap for sure. Often they won't even realize and it's a free kill.

Might only work on copper tier opponents though. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Low sensitivity only really works if you have a lot of room to move your arm about. Just use whatever feels natural: I don't have a lot of room on my desk so I have to flick with my wrist and be able to do a 180 degrees move.

Usually lowering it when you're aiming down sights is a good idea IMO. Lets you carefully pick headshots at long ranges which would be hard with too high a sensitivity.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Haaaard, my friends and I just rubberbanded the gently caress out and got flung out of a match. One lone buddy was stuck with the pubbies and we couldn't rejoin because "a member from your squad is in a match"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Urgh I placed in copper II and with 2 games now I'm in copper IV.

Is it bad form to upload videos and ask for pointers?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
All right. I'm going to start recording games from now on. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to bear with my copper IV gameplay. (It's entirely possible I'm overestimating my skill and belong in copper IV.)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

my kinda ape posted:

Hop in mumble and we will teach you how to be a mindless killing machine.

People still use Mumble?

Isn't there a goons discord for siege?

EDIT: oh wait there is! I joined that one for starters.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lol as soon as I start recording my games, I pull off 2 wins in a row (after a first loss in a pretty shaky round). Hello copper III!

Maybe the idea of having a goon staring over my shoulder makes me perform better or something. The first of those wins was a 4 v 5 as well, as one teammate dropped out as soon as the match started. :argh:

Gonna see how to edit and upload them tomorrow. Would you guys rather have full games or highlight reels of my kills and deaths to give pointers? I feel like I could cut a lot of fluff but it might reveal me having fundamentla issues moving around or something.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAe2FVsGbZ0

Timestamped for everyone who just wants to see my deaths and yell at me. Full video for anyone who enjoys audio reverb, French tv in the background and Dutch banter.

Things I'm thinking as I watch that footage again: 1) I'm quite indecisive and tend to make short runs left or right as I'm trying to think of which approach to take, and 2) I tend to waffle about in corridors or open rooms too much. If I get shot, it's usually from an angle I didn't expect 'cause I'm a chump.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I really need to make it a habit to check my drones more often. That was the first match of the evening and we were all still getting a bit in the groove. I'll get around to uploading the two matches we actually won later today.

Eddiemage (one of my teammates) is low silver and I generally end up above him in the scoreboards so I was hoping I'd get there at some point too. :negative: I'll see about reinstalling mumble at some point.

EDIT: here's the second match of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kFVrk6nK0

EDIT2: and the final one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mT42gKe9EY Special shout-outs in this one for the aim around 3:19 by my teammate.

Thanks again to anyone taking the time to give me pointers!

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 14, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's okay. At least narrow down "git gud" to map knowledge, positioning, mechanical aiming skills... and I'll be happy enough :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It definitely felt that way for the first... two months that I played? I joined right when velvet shell dropped and my friends goaded me into playing ranked ASAP because then I'd be doing placement matches with coppers instead of getting wrecked by sweaty golds in casual. It was terrifying, and I lost count of the amount of times that I sprinted in circles or into dead ends while looking for stairs or the objective room.

I'm starting to get the hang of map lay-out but still get killed by headscratchers too often. In my first video I linked, for example, I completely forgot that there was a window to my left in the library and as a result I was fully exposed when Twitch peeked into the room.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks for the hints! I tried to learn using R6maps but it's still a bit too abstract for me. I might try it on my smartphone but lol at the idea of ever looking away from the screen as I'm holding a corridor.

I do try to ape people's murderholes and ambush spots when I get killed by them, though.

What trips me up a lot is I see players like Maciejay sprinting through corridors or keeping their eyes on a specific point like they know the enemy will come from there/won't flank them, but when I play I need to keep my eyes 360° around me because pubbies don't really cover my flanks. Maybe I just get paranoid but my map knowledge is a bit too lacking for me to know "oh this corridor is safe, no need to stare down it" and "people come from here 95% of the time, that's the meta"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I do all of my terrorist hunt challenges in lone wolf and try to check out the maps as I go through them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I use ACOG on anything that'll take it except Fuze's assault rifle. The thing has so much recoil that I'd rather use a red dot than suffer my screen shaking as much as it does with ACOG.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Wow, rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!