Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This looks fun. I'll play if there's still a spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

tpink posted:

Hi all I am one of the good and friendly pokemons AMA

I thought all of them were supposed to be good/friendly and only the people were bad?

Keep in mind I haven't played a Pokémon game since Red/Blue back when I was like 14 so my knowledge is probably extremely out-of-date.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hello, friend.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I won't be around much today because I'm getting drunk watching football but will recap late tonight.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I had six posts to catch up on in the FF2 game. I had like 300 to catch up on here. Settle down.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Actually, I will state this: I know factually what the gift I am giving Met tonight does for him, and we can discuss it tomorrow further assuming I am alive.

I think I'm in agreement with tpink that we leave Kash alone for tonight and see what this gift does.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

scumbros haven't filled you in? or are they ignoring the thread too

Clearly I don't actually have any scumbros to fill me in, huh?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Especially since Pmush told us there were no penalties for the first gym

Reasonable. The participants do get the experience towards evolving though, right? Might actually have been a good event for scum to jump on since they could get experience without having to tank the challenge? Unless I'm misunderstanding the mechanic?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Oh, actually it's not clear, because TQ is contradicting himself.

That's a really nice catch.

Going to re-read after work tonight but this is probably where my vote's going.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

Im town and I don't know what happens if I evolve

maybe I become a good poster?

I don't believe this is possible.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

give head or get dead posted:

Illegally Sober, was is your opinion on the person known as Met?

I'm more suspicious of TQ than I am Met.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

tpink posted:

I really don't think there was anything wrong with Infi continuing to ask GHGD why the gently caress he didn't just say he was in a masonry last night instead of the mysterious "i have info you guys but i won't tell you" bullshit. GHGD still hasn't given a good response to that question.

Going back to this, I'm trying to figure out a logical reason to wait hours and hours for the big reveal and the only thing I can surmise is that he had to get his story straight with TQ first.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

The Slasher/Tobbs doublepost was odd. I feel better about Tobbs' version than I do Slasher's but I don't know how to read Slasher as a player at this point.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Been sitting in traffic for over an hour and not going to make it home before deadline.

I can't research and drive, so ##vote Fisk

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Truth Quark posted:

Well I think the simplest way to explain last night is that mf and AR killed each other, and Hiipfire was the scum target.

That isn't the simplest way to explain it, it's the only way to explain it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Considering HiipFire flipped with no night actions.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Friday is probably better for me, too. Tomorrow evening there's a good chance I'll have to work late.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Factional night kill???

I don't get it, if it's factional does that mean that there's a team of serial killers or what? But he's self aligned.

Am I the only one finding that odd?

I glossed over that the first time. You're right, that phrasing seems weird.

I don't think there can be because of the self-alignment, as you say. But that's an odd way to describe it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Figures I go to lunch and completely miss the challenge.

Oh well, I wouldn't have been any good for this one anyway :downs:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Met posted:

and if people had some standards on when it's okay to nominate, the people who insta-chose someone on shaky ground would have been suspect. But critical thinking isn't valued here. In fact, it's discouraged by some people in particular.

You're suggesting whoever happens to be online should instant-nominate people because it's more likely they will be town. That's terrible reasoning because there's no reason they would make a good informed choice. Working things out together is the way to go.

Yeah, but that's more a limitation of the challenge setup than anything else.

I suspect that each time a challenge is posted, the nominations are going to go just as quickly because that's just how people seem to be reacting. If it was a true voting setup, say 3 votes or so to nominate, then the discussion could actually happen. One and in lends itself to this stuff.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

IS hasn't contributed anything of note to the game

Going back to this- I've been doing my best to catch up on the posts from this afternoon but you're right, I've been gone a lot. Going to re-read a couple of people right now. But this is a fair criticism of how I've played to this point. I'll try to be better.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I have no idea how to read this DB thing. I'm not familiar with any of the games after Red/Blue but at least in the first games some evolved twice? But I have to believe that if that was a possibility it would be spelled out in the PM pretty clearly. PMush doesn't seem like the kind of mod to leave that vague.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Hey Kash, Infinitum. Can I have the present insteaaaaad?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

think about what you want more than anything

if I get that present, you get what you want more than anything, guaranteed

I'm not really thrilled about how this exchange went, re-reading it. And it seems to have gotten dropped pretty quickly after that with no follow-up.

Tobbs, why do you want this present so badly when the last "present" didn't go well at all?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Okay. Well, in the meantime, I have a present for you, too ##vote Tobbs

I'll look forward to discussing it more in the morning.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Retro Futurist posted:

When didn't I? I've been pushing this mason claim for 2 days and I've spoken about a few other people in the course of the game. I know it's easy to target me for lurking or being low effort or whatever in general but I've actually done stuff this time

I don't buy every aspect of your case on the masons but the fact is that if they're scum and we all buy their mason claim without questioning it and/or testing it, we're in trouble. I don't think that in and of itself it's scummy on your behalf to continue to highlight that point.

Also, did I miss clarification on when the deadline is or do we still not know?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Retro Futurist posted:

Did something go wrong here or is my brain going? I can't parse this

I was trying to multi-task, sorry. I'll try again.

Mafia edit below:

IllegallySober posted:

I don't buy every aspect of your case, but the fact is that if the mason pair is scum and we all buy their claim without questioning it and/or testing it, we're in trouble. I don't think that it's scummy on your behalf to continue to highlight that and based on that point, I don't like the votes on you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Alternatively, my brain and/or your brain really could be going. It's been a long day. :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Two things really quickly:

Met posted:

[*]IllegallySober: Lowest postcount in the thread. He just comes off as someone whose afraid to stick his neck out there. He also defended me at one point and I just find that pretty suspect because I don't feel like he's in this enough to come to that conclusion. Everyone else seems to have an easy enough time calling me scum.

I've covered the post count thing already and I'm working on being more present here. But even if I haven't posted as much as others I don't know why in your mind it would be a mark against me for defending you. I've read everything, even if it was a little late.

This, though:

quote:

Now that we only evolve with 1 xp we can spread some abilities around more quickly.

This was not how I read the result of the challenge. I thought the challengers in that particular gym took one less XP to evolve, not that ALL of us now took one less XP to evolve.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't disagree with the rest of your post/posts, just clarifying that.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

this is a stickup posted:

what I mean is, we don't know if any of the players who have evolved already are scum or not. for example, if tobbs is town, we definitely want to get him that second evolve. two problems: like he's stated, two evolves(even one, really) will make town players targets, and he might not be town. the playing field is not even; the problem is we cannot reasonably predict or estimate what the correct/optimal path for us to take is. we might have a cop or a doc somewhere that needs to evolve from one-shot, or even learn what their role is. they absolutely cannot claim, though. tobbs/inf etc should now know what their role is and how important a second evolve is. we, however, cannot know and adjust based on that. hope that makes more sense I guess?

I think this is correct.

In this format, I think we're better off spreading the evolves around, as town, because unless we already have protective roles out there, any townie that gets evolved is likely to be a night kill target for scum. Thus, it's in our best interest to have multiple people on evolve tracks and/or evolving at the same time. If we can get multiple townies evolved in a day, it both increases the odds of protective roles or power roles for us developing, and prevents scum from picking off the evolves one-by-one each night.

Anyone who's already evolved should absolutely not reveal what their evolve gave them. When challenges come up, we need to know who can evolve and do everything we can to place those players in the challenges. If someone rushes to nominate and/or goes against this philosophy, I would look really hard at why they did that and I think at this point in the game with how we understand the system, that should almost be an automatic vote-out.

Also, I'll be in and out today- probably realistically I'll be able to check in 2-3 times today before deadline. I'll completely be up-front and say I haven't had a chance to go back and do much of a re-read yet so I may not make the most educated vote tonight but I'll try to get something done on lunch today and at least be present for deadline.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

this is a stickup posted:

I'm gonna ##unvote for now cause the last two pages are weirding me out. I'll check in before the deadline if I can't be around for it

Yeah, really, what in the hell just happened here?

RF comes out and claims a one-shot wildcard despite outright saying he doesn't think he's in danger of catching a NK. If that's the case, then why claim your role at all? Are you TRYING to draw a NK just for fun? You're the one who said you'd be better used in the late game, too. So if that's true, then why say "hey, scum, I've got a role that will help late game, let me tell you about it on Day 2 so you have plenty of time to make sure I'm dead before then?" :psyduck:

And then there's SSV who claims Town Bodyguard with one vote on him at the time? Like, what are you doing, dude? Why make that claim unless like RF, you're TRYING to die?

And THEN Tobbs goes "hey, make sure Inf is who you bodyguard" because that's a great idea for town to make sure they outline for scum exactly what the one revealed power role is going to do?

AND THEN Kash is over here going "Inf isn't going to die" and "the bodyguard will resolve itself tonight" and dropping all sorts of random answers about his "presents" and :psyboom:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

and then IS didn't have any opinions but sure wanted to make it look like he was talking about the game :tootzzz:
##vote illegallysober

No, actually, I'd like to hear more from the two people who outright claimed for no apparent reason before I figure out where I'm putting my vote, but thanks :rolleyes:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't have four votes. I don't understand the actions of any of the four people I mentioned.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Retro Futurist posted:

Well you see we also kill someone during the day in this here Mafia game

You had two votes on you and nobody was discussing you at the time you made your claim.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

That also is what your dark doesn't mean scum was in reference to, Met?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I do way too much browsing on mobile to keep that good of a note sheet. I'm impressed, though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

That also is what your dark doesn't mean means scum was in reference to, Met?

Mafia editing myself here. I had to actually go look up what a Miller was and how it worked on the wiki. Heard talk of them but I don't think I've been in a game with one before.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Interesting that the Pokémon that Met claims to be is one he mentioned a couple of different times in reference to what others must be earlier in the game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

I'm out xmas shopping

this disgust me #keepitintheground #NoDAPK

$29.95 for a little toy train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Met posted:

I was showing my work on how I limited Infinitum down. (I was wrong because I missed "fighting type") It would have been odd for me to not include my pokemon on that list just because it happened to be among the possibilities.

That's a fair point.

• Locked thread