Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I have kind of been noticing Queensguard/Cerys performing a lot less. Champion of Champions is incredible though and has won me more games than any other card. Bringing it back from the dead in almost every round is very powerful.

Funny you should mention the berserkers that turn into bears. I added them last night before I went to bed to try them out today. When you mention getting more value out of the axemen, you know they are now patched to not trigger off your own stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

How do I start improving the starter scoia'tael deck ?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't have a lot of experience playing Scoia'Tael, only playing against it. All I can tell you is these are good cards for them: Hawker Healer, Dwarven Skirmisher, Mahakam Defender, Elven Mercenary, Blue Mountain Commando, Hawker Smuggler (so good), Dol Blothanna Marksman, Ida Emean, and Toruviel. Those are just all around good cards. I'd recommend crafting Brouver Hoog and building that resilient dwarf deck. It's really good. Just go onto GwentDB or Gwentify and look up the Scoia'Tael dwarven budget deck and build that.

Edit: Also thanks for the tips on improving that deck I posted early. I don't play Cerys or Queensguard anymore and have a lot of fun with the deck. I also play a lot of Ciri now, because I realize how good that card is. It's only a 6 strength gold, but I learned that its value is in action economy. Playing it often forces them to play another card and then when you lose that round you get to play another card in a future round. Great for eating up their resources and getting in the last play. Great for controly decks. Also Roach is very good, especially in Skellige where it gets buffed every turn.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 25, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I actually got insanely owned by a Nilfgaard spy deck 2-0. The combination of Letho of Gulet eating three large minions, then a card that turns Letho silver, and the Character who swaps all your spies to the other side. Guy had like 150 score on the second round. I think it was just the world's best draws for that guy, but still it was pretty cool.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just finally got into this. Lost 4 games straight to start because I kept misunderstanding specific cards or the rules that are different from the Witcher version. Finally got rolling a bit with a skellige deck and a new leader until I just got wrecked by a Northern realms deck. That dude had better cards than anyone I've played thus far. Easily.

Also, why does everyone act like the second round is the final round if I've let them take the first one? A ton of my games as Skellige I willingly let them take the 1st round since my units get stronger every round. They respond by playing literally all their cards in the second round and then I win overall. Makes no sense to me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Just finally got into this. Lost 4 games straight to start because I kept misunderstanding specific cards or the rules that are different from the Witcher version. Finally got rolling a bit with a skellige deck and a new leader until I just got wrecked by a Northern realms deck. That dude had better cards than anyone I've played thus far. Easily.

Also, why does everyone act like the second round is the final round if I've let them take the first one? A ton of my games as Skellige I willingly let them take the 1st round since my units get stronger every round. They respond by playing literally all their cards in the second round and then I win overall. Makes no sense to me.

Idiots, mostly. But there's an element of sanity to it if they realise they have overextended in the first and have no hope of winning trying to whittle you down to the third. For example if their decks relies on big combos, like Commander's Horning a big board or tokens or something.

But yeah, idiots. I throw first round 9/10 as Scoia'tael by playing resilient and low-value minions (or spies) and I see what you're talking about lots.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well if they win the first one easily they probably think they can take the second one and end the match. But they do sometimes over extend you can take it, and then they've used all their resources. As a Skellige player I usually always just use the first round as my prep round. I get most of my discards done so I don't draw them later. The only deck I usually go for the win in the first and second round is against Scoia'Tael. Sometimes monsters, but I usually just try and time my loss in the first so they end up with a crappy creature going over to the next round. I love when the last unit to enter their board is a foglet.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Qmass posted:

How do I start improving the starter scoia'tael deck ?

Scoia'tel decks come in two flavours, Dwarves or Elves, so a lot of cards, especially epics usually support one type over the other. On leaders, I don't like Francesca, but Brouver Hoog and Eithné don't really add much when you're starting out.(I think Eithné is the best of the three)

There are a couple of Epic/Legendary ST cards that you can craft that usually see play in both archetypes so they will improve your play right away, those are Aglais(Legendary), Shirru(Legendary), Toruviel(Epic), Yaevinn(Epic), and maybe Iorveth(Legendary). These are pretty safe crafts and investments as they tend to be played in and supplement well almost any variation of ST decks, the only one I don't like is Yaevinn but that's cause I never know when to play him. :v: Iorveth is quite debatable, because Triss Merigold is a neutral and does what he does, even if for less damage, with the bonus of being able to target any row, so she's great to clear out spies and dead cows on your rows. But you know, meta shifts and eventually you might find the need to have someone to clear out those nastier creatures like Arachas Behemoth, or Yennefer: Conjurer.

Stuff like Saskia, Isengrim, Ele'yas, Morrenn, Milva, Ithlinne, Aelirenn are somewhat more dependable or are deck defining. No point to waste the scraps on Ele'yas, Isengrim and Arlirenn if you not going to play Neophyte Elfs. Saskia is almost a "Good for any ST deck" card, but her effect while good, it isn't that good. It plays better in neophyte type of decks really.

Of neutrals, the three witchers are a great investment and will improve the decks of whatever faction you play. Yennefer: Conjurer is also a very safe Gold craft. Of the expensive neutrals you should aim for Regis, Zoltan:Animal Tamer, Geralt:Igni, Triss Merigold(If you prefer to craft Iorveth then you can skip Triss for awhile), King of Beggars and the two neutral silver dragons. The most important is probably Regis.

Remember that Ciri you get for free at level 18, and Decoy at level 20. Geralt you already have and he goes well in any starter deck.

The absolute cheapest and best ST deck to start with, that isn't frustrating to play without expensive cards, is the dwarf variety. At the earliest, the spine of your deck should run 3 Mahakam Defenders, 3 Mahakam Guards, 3 Blue Mountain Commandos, 3 Hawker Healers, Commander Horn. The set up is pretty straight forward. Put the sticky dudes early, get the guards to buff them, use the Commandos to bounce the Guards/Healers depending on the situation. Get a pair of Dwarven Skirmisher's, some Fireball Traps, Scorch, Dimeritium Bomb, one or two Alzur thunder, for some board control. Always have a pair of First Light's for weather or to get your little dudes on the board. Geralt is your gold slot. The rest you can fill however you want, the free 10 sliver dwarf is probably good, if only for scorch bait. But I like Cleaver a lot, so if you can find the extra 80 scrap, he's a real nice card.

What you should NOT craft is dumb stuff like Barclay Els, Yarpen Zigrin, Milva and Zoltan Chivay. They bad, and a trap. None of these cards see play in other type or variation of Dwarf/Elf decks and they are just flat out useless. Yet you'll see folk including them in budget dwarf decks. These people are not your friends, and they want to waste your scrap.

The general idea involving Barclay Els, is that you use Milva and Decoy to play him in a total of three times, so he can buff all your dwarves three times. And look Zoltan Chivay is a Golden Card with resilience, and Barclay targets ALL dwarves regardless if it's Gold or Non-Gold. All sounds great, but then why is it bad?

Well let's look at the ideal scenario at the start of round 3. You have on your board, 3 Mahakam Defenders and Zoltan Chivay, that is 17 base Strength, with Barclay triple buff you have 12 extra Strength, to a total of 29 points. That isn't that much actually, when you take in account that Zoltan can't be buffed anymore, so he's just an 8 body. Now consider that if you use Commander Horn on 3 Defenders you get 12 points worth of buffs. That is 4 cards that you play, against the 7 with the Barclays. You might argue that is all worth over the entire game, and for all the other dwarves you have, but the other dwarves(Mainly Yarpen and Skeldon) are not that good. And the initial shuffle with Barclays and Milva leaves you with two bodies worth of 19 points, one of them can't be buffed, after 3 turns of play and possibly 2/3 cards short on your hand. At the end of the day, those extra 3 buffs aren't really that much or game changing.

Now compare all of this to using the Witcher package. Eskel, Lambert, Vesemir, all 3 together are 19 points, only costs one card to play, and thin out your deck by 2 cards(I mean, short of bad mulligan), and all three can be buffed. They offer you a big First Round play against all factions, serve as a way to cover your dwarves from scorch, and are just good value. They also cost the same amount of scraps as Barclay Els, Milva, and Zoltan Chivay.

The Witchers slot really well with the cheap dwarf deck(remove the traps), putting in a Yen:Con is also pretty solid choice(drop a Skirmisher). Cleaver too if you don't include him already.(dump Skeldon) Eventually you'll want to get Regis in, as he adds a 10 buffable vampire on round 3. The core deck eventually should just be the 3 Defenders, 2/3 Guards and 2/3 Healers. You might also want to trade the commandos for the Elven Mercenary to fish for First Light/Alzur Thunder, but remember to drop the Scorch and Dime Bomb/or make sure to have them in hand or you'll end up losing games because you scorched your own dudes, or wasted the Dime Bomb on nothing.

The Elven side, I find, really needs expensive stuff like Isengrim, Ele'yas, and Aglais, some Elf type of decks(more control) also run Saskia and Shirru, so you need to break the bank. But to start you go with the little dudes, those Mahakam Defenders can carry you a long way.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 25, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The answer is quite simple. They watched or read from a high ranked gwent player, that you can beat Skellige discard by overpowering them in round 2. Skellige discard is all about round 3, the fat Cerys, the charged up Ciri Dash, the huge Champion, crazy Lugos. The strategy then becomes to deny the Skellige player the big finish, by going big on round 2 so he makes bad plays or simply doesn't have enough Strength to win.

Consume Monster Decks are really good at this, due to not only pump out high value dudes, but also because they can mess with Skellige's graveyard in the form of Caretaker, Katakan, and even Ghouls. Suddenly the Skellige player has to start answering those big Ekkimaras, the constant stream of arachas, or nekkers, getting his graveyard answers being taken away, and finnaly the Kayran comes in and now there's 50 points of Strength that he can't answer, and all he has in the hand is maybe a 12 Strength Ciri:Dash. And as final insult the monster player will drop some weather effect.

Scoia'tel dwarf decks can also push it pretty far on round 2, if they not running the lame Barclay version, as ST doesn't actually need to build up power over 3 rounds, it can just turn the engine on and go the distance.(and secretly hopes that you didn't bring dime bomb)

The problem is that you're facing starter and budget decks, that can't actually muscle out Skellige on round 2 cause they are missing the big cards to do that. The Kayran/Caretaker/Katakan for monster, Aglais and Zoltan: Animal Tamer for ST. But they'll do it anyway because the rank 15 4500 mmr guy on twitch does it, so the level 5 guy should do it too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

The problem is that you're facing starter and budget decks, that can't actually muscle out Skellige on round 2 cause they are missing the big cards to do that. The Kayran/Caretaker/Katakan for monster, Aglais and Zoltan: Animal Tamer for ST. But they'll do it anyway because the rank 15 4500 mmr guy on twitch does it, so the level 5 guy should do it too.

Yea that makes sense. None of us have good decks right now. Every so often I run into someone at level 2 or 3 with an absurd deck that they don't know what to do with but by and large it's other newbies like me. Right now I've got Harald the Cripple so those huge Monster decks are perfect for his leader card.

Also, I can not play as Nilfgaard right now. I'm either incompetent at it or I'm missing important pieces.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Nilfgaard is one of those factions that seems to need absolutely everything to have a chance. When you do have it, it's a great deck. I'm not at a high rank but I hear from others at rank 14/15 that Nilfgaard is pretty popular at that rank.

Not a big thing, but today a big Hearthstone player/streamer quit Hearthstone. He absolutely loves Gwent and has been raving about it. So it's pulling a lot of Hearthstone players into the game which bodes very well. More and more people are getting into the game and it's not even released yet.

Future is looking bright.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Awesome.

gently caress I'm starting to run into people with super dope cards. C'mon, need another barrel drop

EDIT: Booo, the barrel was full of trash.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 25, 2017

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The GOG Galaxy thing promised me a copy of Witcher 1 if I signed up for the newsletter, but I did and I am empty handed? :confused:

Okay, it basically gave me an invisible coupon and I had to guy "buy" it to get it.

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 26, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I updated my King Bran deck to take into account advice given to me and playing other decks. http://gwentify.com/decks/raisin-bran/

It's pretty good and very fun. It includes Ciri & Ciri: Dash. Ciri is my new favorite card.

Edit: It's actually very close to this deck, http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/12317-4400-princess-of-skellige which is one of the highest rated on GwentDB. But my version doesn't include spy effects because I really dislike them and don't think they are that good. I'd rather play Ciri and get Ciri back in my hand then a random card from my deck.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 26, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I updated my King Bran deck to take into account advice given to me and playing other decks. http://gwentify.com/decks/raisin-bran/.

Omg Roach is a card?!?!?!

Love this game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fair play the card art in this game owns

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Omg Roach is a card?!?!?!

Love this game.

You are going to find that this game has a lot of Witcher references and card mechanics based on how characters are in the series. Roach can come from anywhere at any time. Just like in The Witcher, Roach comes out of nowhere and seemingly at random. In truth, he just comes into play from wherever he is when you play a gold unit.

I can't name but a few of them because I only ever played The Witcher 3 and never beat it. I know of Morkvarg, which in the Witcher is a bad pirate who gets cursed into a werewolf. If he ever dies, he gets resurrected. In Gwent, Morkvarg is a werewolf that is resummoned whenever he goes to the graveyard, just a little weaker than before.

It's fair to guess that if just google any unit from Gwent, you'll find some lore about them in The Witcher that matches their Gwent card mechanics.

Edit: Another minor one I can think of is that this game has a Witcher subtype. When Witcher units have potion effects applied to them, they receive a bigger effect than non-Witcher units.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 26, 2017

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Close games a good game...

Thanks for the effort post... and anyone else that responded before.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 26, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Very tempted to buy a bundle of boosters and spend some time on the closed beta so I can have an idea of what decks and factions I like playing before the wipe happens and have an idea of what to craft and build towards right away in open beta.

Is it kinda Hearthstone-esque where a 40 pack of cards is enough to get you a lot of the commons and a good amount of rares to build budget decks for everything? I have no idea what the pack rarity distribution is like.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Some Gwent keys here:

http://www.gwentdb.com/news/64-10-000-gwent-beta-keys-giveaway-grab-yours-here

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ShowTime posted:

You are going to find that this game has a lot of Witcher references and card mechanics based on how characters are in the series. Roach can come from anywhere at any time. Just like in The Witcher, Roach comes out of nowhere and seemingly at random. In truth, he just comes into play from wherever he is when you play a gold unit.

I can't name but a few of them because I only ever played The Witcher 3 and never beat it. I know of Morkvarg, which in the Witcher is a bad pirate who gets cursed into a werewolf. If he ever dies, he gets resurrected. In Gwent, Morkvarg is a werewolf that is resummoned whenever he goes to the graveyard, just a little weaker than before.

It's fair to guess that if just google any unit from Gwent, you'll find some lore about them in The Witcher that matches their Gwent card mechanics.

Edit: Another minor one I can think of is that this game has a Witcher subtype. When Witcher units have potion effects applied to them, they receive a bigger effect than non-Witcher units.

Yennefer can spawn a unicorn that gives everybody +2.

Minrad posted:

Very tempted to buy a bundle of boosters and spend some time on the closed beta so I can have an idea of what decks and factions I like playing before the wipe happens and have an idea of what to craft and build towards right away in open beta.

Is it kinda Hearthstone-esque where a 40 pack of cards is enough to get you a lot of the commons and a good amount of rares to build budget decks for everything? I have no idea what the pack rarity distribution is like.

Yeah you'll get most commons, and a good chunk of rare cards with 40 packs. Will probably net you more than a handful of epics, and a pair of legendaries if you lucky. Remember to do the 3 basic tutorials, they net you 50 scrap, 1 free keg, and 100 ore to buy another keg. After that you can roughly acquire 2 kegs per day with 1-2 hours investment depending how well you play, There's rewards at every level, and at every rank once get on the ladder.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
This looks fun. A lot of HS pros beaten by the crappy RNG decisions of Blizzard switching over to competetive GWENT.

Any resources for netdecking / guides that I should be aware of?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

FYI I'm sure you all know this but I'm an idiot. You can use scrap to build cards you don't have. It's in the cards collection menu. You can also, once you reach lvl 3, mill redundant cards for extra scrap. Now I have my Ciri and Dudu.

I've got an awesome strategy for Northern Realms that's been working really well. I've got 3 Temerian Soldiers, 3 Redanian Knights, and 3 Blue Stripe Commandos. Combine those with reinforce (pulls every instance of a card onto the field) and promote (turns every instance of a card on the field to gold) along with the Northern passive of adding 2 to every gold card it gets nasty. I'll usually try to throw out a reinforced siege tower which gains 2 strength for every gold card played. And sometimes I'll weave in Quen to shield the group before I start playing them and the Foltest leader card to reproduce one of them before I turn them all to gold. Last game I played I had a round where I shielded my one blue stripe Commando I had in my hand with Quen. Then I played him, played reinforce to get his buddies who in turn add 2 to the other commandos, then I duplicated one with Foltest which added another 2 to the other commandos, and then I turned them all to gold with promote with added another 2 to all of them.

I've had multiple rounds where I've got 7 gold cards on the battlefield. Oh and I found my favorite Gold card by far. Villentrentenmerth: http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/553-villentretenmerth

It's amazing for influencing other players actions.

EDIT: Oh and the base gold Geralt card is the most boring gold card I've seen.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 26, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

EDIT: Oh and the base gold Geralt card is the most boring gold card I've seen.

what now you piece of filth

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I've had multiple rounds where I've got 7 gold cards on the battlefield. Oh and I found my favorite Gold card by far. Villentrentenmerth: http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/553-villentretenmerth

It's amazing for influencing other players actions.

My favourite is to dbomb him so everybody can learn that Villen can scorch himself. I generally just like how he can change the rhythm of the game, unless it's being to set up for boring spy plays or whatever.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Jeza posted:

what now you piece of filth

There's like 3 other gold Geralt cards that are all more fun.

Electronico6 posted:

My favourite is to dbomb him so everybody can learn that Villen can scorch himself. I generally just like how he can change the rhythm of the game, unless it's being to set up for boring spy plays or whatever.

Ohhh I haven't tried that. Yea, I love the way it throws people off their game. I did just have a match where this person was playing a monster deck and countered it beautifully. He had 3 units that he had up to 12 points and I tossed Villen. 1 turn before Villen scorched his team he threw down the Kayran which absorbs three cards from his side into a gold monster that Villen can't hit. Just absolutely perfect counter. Villen then scorched most of my side and the other person won. I was genuinely impressed by that move.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Anyone with a key that aren't using please PM it to me :D

I'll be checking the thread for more of those key giveaways in the meantime.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
After playing last night and tonight, I'm finding the gameplay fascinating. Too bad I can't seem to play the game. I've disconnected from literally at least 4/5s of my games in the first or second round seemingly out of nowhere, and they don't have a reconnect feature yet so I just take a loss and get booted back to deck selection. After looking it up it may be that I am on WiFi, but it is WiFi that has zero issues streaming Netflix or downloading Steam poo poo or playing Hearthstone or Overwatch etc. etc. Something with the design of Gwent is making it seemingly very sensitive to any "interruption" in connection, even if that interruption wouldn't even register in any of those other services. I don't have a spare cord to wire myself to the router, and there's a toddler in the house so I don't want a wire snaking around the living room anyway, so I guess I'll just wait on playing until they fix it. Which sucks, because the game is cool as poo poo. :sigh:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Electronico6 posted:

My favorite game so far was me dbombing a Villen and then using a swallow potion on it so that my two resilient high power cards would survive to the final round, allowing me to win the game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

After playing last night and tonight, I'm finding the gameplay fascinating. Too bad I can't seem to play the game. I've disconnected from literally at least 4/5s of my games in the first or second round seemingly out of nowhere, and they don't have a reconnect feature yet so I just take a loss and get booted back to deck selection. After looking it up it may be that I am on WiFi, but it is WiFi that has zero issues streaming Netflix or downloading Steam poo poo or playing Hearthstone or Overwatch etc. etc. Something with the design of Gwent is making it seemingly very sensitive to any "interruption" in connection, even if that interruption wouldn't even register in any of those other services. I don't have a spare cord to wire myself to the router, and there's a toddler in the house so I don't want a wire snaking around the living room anyway, so I guess I'll just wait on playing until they fix it. Which sucks, because the game is cool as poo poo. :sigh:

You could try all the usual options like enabling QOS for your Gwent computer and making sure your firewall is allowing Gwent. Or see if you have some packet loss, maybe. Strange that a card game would be latency reliant though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Well, my 60 packs only got me one legendary.

On the other hand, they got me Ermion, Svanrige, Sifrdrifa, and Restore. Guess I'm playing the meta Skellige deck! :v:

Kinda perfect for getting a some decent number in ranked and some levels before the wipe happens. Plus maybe I'll have better legendary luck next go around post wipe. :toot:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

angel opportunity posted:

Anyone with a key that aren't using please PM it to me :D

I'll be checking the thread for more of those key giveaways in the meantime.

http://www.gwentdb.com/news/64-10-000-gwent-beta-keys-giveaway-grab-yours-here

25k more keys dropped

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Nilfgaard is one of those factions that seems to need absolutely everything to have a chance. When you do have it, it's a great deck. I'm not at a high rank but I hear from others at rank 14/15 that Nilfgaard is pretty popular at that rank.

Not a big thing, but today a big Hearthstone player/streamer quit Hearthstone. He absolutely loves Gwent and has been raving about it. So it's pulling a lot of Hearthstone players into the game which bodes very well. More and more people are getting into the game and it's not even released yet.

Future is looking bright.

I am one of these people that is giving Gwent a shot because I'm bored of HS RNGfest. Is there a good source for what type of archetypes/flavours each type of faction plays as? The OP never got finished. Last night I've had fun pulling off combos with the Skellige starter deck and it seems that Monsters just swarm the board. I'm wondering which class I should focus my early deck building efforts.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Cool, I grabbed a key. Looks like this isn't on iOS or Mac though, so I will have to install windows just to play this... :(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

I am one of these people that is giving Gwent a shot because I'm bored of HS RNGfest. Is there a good source for what type of archetypes/flavours each type of faction plays as? The OP never got finished. Last night I've had fun pulling off combos with the Skellige starter deck and it seems that Monsters just swarm the board. I'm wondering which class I should focus my early deck building efforts.

GwentDB and Gwentify are spots for decks. There are some articles there as well. Gwentlemen.com has some articles, though i've never read it. There is a Gwent subreddit you can join for a little bit of community input.

Skellige deals a lot with discarding and resurrection from your graveyard. They reduce strength on opposing units (and friendly units) quite a bit.
Scoia'Tael play around with buffing and resilient units. Also quite a bit of elven synergy and ambush effects (ambush cards are hidden cards that pop off effects when certain conditions are met).
Northern Realms play very basic, strong units and playing with "heroes" so to speak, which are their gold cards. Bit of some synergy in their units.
Monsters are just big brute units, eating up weaker units and weather effects.
Nilfgaard are the newest faction and play kind of tricky assassination stuff and information on your opponent. Lots of spy and reveal effects.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Xtanstic posted:

If you want a quick introduction, https://www.playgwent.com/en if you scroll down a little it summarizes all the factions. Skellige for example focuses on graveyard interactions. Unfortunately I don't know of any resources that go deeper than that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

maybe throw this in the OP, it was way too hard for me to figure out what the daily rewards are until I stumbled upon this. I wasn't actually watching the slow rear end animations show off my rewards but it felt like I was earning a lot for casually playing some games this morning and uh, drat I guess I was :v:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Cool thanks. It's took me many games until I realized each faction has their own ability because the popup before each game is super fast. It's kinda annoying to hunt around the deck building website to get all the info. Is it because I haven't had a chance to play enough games, but the Scoia'Tel ability to pick who goes first seems really lackluster?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

maybe throw this in the OP, it was way too hard for me to figure out what the daily rewards are until I stumbled upon this. I wasn't actually watching the slow rear end animations show off my rewards but it felt like I was earning a lot for casually playing some games this morning and uh, drat I guess I was :v:

I've added it. Thanks.

I plan to add more detail to the OP at some point but I actually haven't been playing this recently. Plan to get back into when I have some free time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

You can actually see the faction ability in game by hovering over the decks I think it is. But yeah it's not very clear. There are several UI issues like this, the one that bugs me most is that you don't seem to be able to add a card to a deck with the filter/search options open. But it's not For Honor levels of awful or anything, hopefully they will tweak a bit as they work towards release.

Game is a lot of fun to play, the starter decks are garbage but it doesn't seem to take too much to get a mid level deck going, maybe 2 or 3 days of doing the dailies through tier 2.

Learning to pass effectively to gain card advantage seems to be key to securing easy wins in scrub tier play at least. So many people are ready to dump their hand in round 1 that a decently timed pass will leave you a card or two up either literally or by sticking monsters with garbage if they don't play again, or a card plus your sheep if they don't spend more to kill it or whatever.

• Locked thread