Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
The lack of chat is an interesting one, to be fair I think works quite well and helps keep it casual. As you don't really want people being toxic etc.
It means the closest you can get to bm that i can think of/have seen is when someone has already won as you've passed but they keep playing out their hand to show how much they smashed you.

I'll generally gg all the time unless if the above. I guess a bit of a habit from SC or something where GG is more of a "you aren't a dick" as opposed to an actual genuine good/better than average game. That said all games should be good on average otherwise why are you playing..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ShowTime posted:

That's not true at all. I almost never GG. I only send a GG to people playing unique, self-brewed decks or brand new players. I might send one GG out of 40 games. That's win or lose. I'm not unique in that regard based on my own experience and a reddit thread from a couple weeks ago on the topic.

This is the direction I've slowly moved towards as well. I only reward interesting decks or games with hilarious/last second twists that aren't the normal weather card nonsense.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mean at least give ggs when you win, christ

I should never underestimate the ability of pathetic nerds to power trip at every possible opportunity

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Playing against the same 5 decks over and over again is not fun. Monster Consume, Monster Weather, Skellige Discard, Scoia'Tael Dwarves or Radovid Control. Occasionally a new player playing Foltest. I'm moving towards homebrew decks myself. I really only play Skellige and the discard deck is not fun to play. Right now i'm playing a Harold deck that combines a bit of draw with the Axeman. I think using Ermion or the Last Wish to discard Raiders is real good, since it feels like draw 2, play 2 cards so many times. I combine that with some control elements and a bit of the Axeman deck to get a bit of both worlds. I'm getting together weather cards to build a Harold weather deck, which is probably gonna be real bad but i'm still gonna try it. Playing a Ragh Nar Roog and it only affecting a few of your units seems real fun, especially when you combine that with some of the str reducing effects Skellige offers.

Edit:

quote:

I should never underestimate the ability of pathetic nerds to power trip at every possible opportunity

I'm sorry about that 5 ore/scrap. Really impacting the Gwent economy but not using an optional system.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 10, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

No Wave posted:

I mean at least give ggs when you win, christ

It's not a power tripping thing, the rewards attached to it are miniscule. Plus, the upper levels seem to all be moving in that direction anyway. There are plenty of times where when I do gg it's not returned which is fine, but goes to my point that the more you play the game the more you want to save your only way to communicate with the other player for genuinely interesting games/decks.

ShowTime posted:

Playing against the same 5 decks over and over again is not fun. Monster Consume, Monster Weather, Skellige Discard, Scoia'Tael Dwarves or Radovid Control. Occasionally a new player playing Foltest. I'm moving towards homebrew decks myself. I really only play Skellige and the discard deck is not fun to play. Right now i'm playing a Harold deck that combines a bit of draw with the Axeman. I think using Ermion or the Last Wish to discard Raiders is real good, since it feels like draw 2, play 2 cards so many times. I combine that with some control elements and a bit of the Axeman deck to get a bit of both worlds. I'm getting together weather cards to build a Harold weather deck, which is probably gonna be real bad but i'm still gonna try it. Playing a Ragh Nar Roog and it only affecting a few of your units seems real fun, especially when you combine that with some of the str reducing effects Skellige offers.

I put together this really fun Skellige deck with Harald that's all about dishing damage while having axeman and then resurrecting the bear that gets plus 2 for every damaged unit on the board. When I can pull it off, it's hilarious.

I also still love playing a Henselt everything I touch is gold deck.

Bonus for both of those decks is that people aren't used to seeing them so you actually get a variety of responses in opposing strategy.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 10, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Devs will be streaming some Gwent on CD Projekt Red twitch channel next Tuesday, 14th. And on the 15th we have another stream, but in polish, talking about next patch and positioning changes. Maybe we get the patch next week.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news#4910

There's also the talk at Pax East this Saturday, but I don't think they are going to announce anything major about the game.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 10, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It's not a power tripping thing, the rewards attached to it are miniscule. Plus, the upper levels seem to all be moving in that direction anyway. There are plenty of times where when I do gg it's not returned which is fine, but goes to my point that the more you play the game the more you want to save your only way to communicate with the other player for genuinely interesting games/decks.

There just shouldn't be any reward system in the hands of players. Especially when it's tied to the only form of communication available in the game. It clearly upsets people when it's not used, which shouldn't happen in an optional system. As we are seeing, it becomes an expectation when it shouldn't be. If you don't get it, I guess you get upset that you didn't get it, which creates a negative experience. As we see in other games and in Gwent, they are clearly limiting in-game communication among players because it can be used to create a negative experience. But in Gwent they went a bit overboard and actually tied a reward to it.

Edit: And that news announcement makes me think we'll get the patch before the stream. Specifically the bit about the changes and new features with the latest update. The wording would probably be a bit different. It should say next update and not latest. Unless they plan to talk about the patch that happened several weeks ago, which would be strange.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Soggy Chips posted:

The lack of chat is an interesting one, to be fair I think works quite well and helps keep it casual. As you don't really want people being toxic etc.

It's genuinely relaxing to not need to auto-mute my opponent as soon as the game starts. It's kinda weird/funny.

As for GG chat: I just GG except when I'm extremely salty or mad, I can remember maybe two games where I didn't GG. Both times I got 2-0 blown out and I was mostly mad that I didn't get a single round win either time. :mad:

Electronico6 posted:

Devs will be streaming some Gwent on CD Projekt Red twitch channel next Tuesday, 14th. And on the 15th we have another stream, but in polish, talking about next patch and positioning changes. Maybe we get the patch next week.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news#4910

There's also the talk at Pax East this Saturday, but I don't think they are going to announce anything major about the game.

Apparently there was a stream recently with the Gwentlemen's club that discussed some upcoming features/plans.

quote:

Next patch will not be open beta. If a change to the coin flip happens, it will come when open beta launches.
Ge'els ability is likely to see a complete rework. Hinted that it might rely on new game mechanics (possibly positional patch)
They want to "standardize" cards with odd interactions at the end of rounds like Cahir.
Nekkers will see changes
Borkh might be changed.
NR's faction ability and promote might be changed. They want fewer gold cards on board.
Shani -> Pavetta rez might be changed
NR medic might be completely reworked. "Rezing is a SK thing."
Many NR gold cards could see changes.
NR was originally designed as a Vanilla faction for new players; want to move in the direction of having more interesting NR cards.

Additionally, there was hints that we won't be seeing bronze neutral units for a long time, to keep decks diverse among factions. So yeah major Northern Realm changes/reworks incoming with or after the next major patch. Also signs kinda point towards open beta being in late april or even may at this point, not a bad plan with other online CCGs getting major patches this month and next.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Minrad posted:

Apparently there was a stream recently with the Gwentlemen's club that discussed some upcoming features/plans.

Additionally, there was hints that we won't be seeing bronze neutral units for a long time, to keep decks diverse among factions. So yeah major Northern Realm changes/reworks incoming with or after the next major patch. Also signs kinda point towards open beta being in late april or even may at this point, not a bad plan with other online CCGs getting major patches this month and next.

Those NR changes are a little alarming. I love the weird NR strategy you can use by making a lot of things into Gold cards because it helps negate the abused row damage cards and weather effects. I can't tell if they want to change NR to be more interesting/unique while solving some of the easily abused elements or if they want to nerf it or what. I trust them either way.

The Ge'els change desperately needs to happen

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 10, 2017

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I don't know why they felt Hearthstone style emotes would be negative game experience. Add like 3 emotes but with a higher timer so you can't spam them as much. I love going "WOW" in Hearthstone when the other player pulls some bullshit RNG, it's fun. Would also add more flavor to the characters since emotes would be in their voice, besides just the intro that we have now.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 10, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

I don't know why they felt Hearthstone style emotes would be negative game experience. Add like 3 emotes but with a higher timer so you can't spam them as much. I love going "WOW" in Hearthstone when the other player pulls some bullshit RNG, it's fun. Would also add more flavor to the characters since emotes would be in their voice, besides just the intro that we have now.

Hard pass. Or rather, they can add a chat or emote functionality so long as there's an option to have it always off. I don't want to have to individually turn it off every match, just stay off and then if I play a friend I'll turn it on.

I love that I don't have to communicate with internet randos to enjoy the game. I'm also old and grumpy and hate most multiplayer games ever since voice chat got added in. Nothing says enjoyment like being cursed at by pre-teens while trying to unwind after work.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
im gonna get real nerdy w this (on my tv console)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Those NR changes are a little alarming. I love the weird NR strategy you can use by making a lot of things into Gold cards because it helps negate the abused row damage cards and weather effects.

The Ge'els change desperately needs to happen

NR changes might be good because them being built around Gold Units is probably more damaging to design of new cards than good.

In the early beta months, NR were consistently broken, due to there being no way to interact meaningfully with gold cards. Of all the factions NR probably got the most nerfs(direct or indirect) and fewer actual changes in card, in large part due to their Gold relation. Gold cards should be powerful and hard to counter, because usually there's four per deck, when a faction can multiply those 4 then it stops being fun, and becomes frustrating. At the moment Henselt-Pavetta control kinda gives you a glimpse of how crazy powerful it is to manipulate gold status. If you think playing Pavetta 3 or 4 times in one game is insane, imagine buffing roach to 50, promote him, and have him come back always with that 50 value.

And yeah poor Ge'els. He was suppose to eventually make Monster breed decks a thing, instead, consume happened and welp. He just a bad leader, and I'm not even sure he actually fits the faction over all. He's related to the Wild Hunt, somewhat, but he's such a minor character even there. Same thing with Avallach really.

Would really love to see different kind of approach to other kind monster mechanics. Like normal dude cards that after some turns or you meet certain conditions turn into monsters like werewolves and vampires. Old Speartip and the harpies show that it can work.(sort of)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

my new dog posted:

im gonna get real nerdy w this (on my tv console)

poo poo i should learn how to play this with controller and then stream it to a TV and go be lazy on a couch

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
steam controller or a wireless trackball would do it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rad Russian posted:

No, thanks. I'm completely sick of card game devs forcing players to put up with childish BM. Just play the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Minrad posted:

It's genuinely relaxing to not need to auto-mute my opponent as soon as the game starts. It's kinda weird/funny.

As for GG chat: I just GG except when I'm extremely salty or mad, I can remember maybe two games where I didn't GG. Both times I got 2-0 blown out and I was mostly mad that I didn't get a single round win either time. :mad:
I think not GGing when you're salty is why the system exists, that's why I like it!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i dont GG because that's one more click wasted in my mouse's lifespan. the hidden costs of the GG

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What types of Scoia'tael decks are there to play? Got a key but I'm unable to play for a week or so but the elven extremists are my fave faction.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Flipswitch posted:

What types of Scoia'tael decks are there to play? Got a key but I'm unable to play for a week or so but the elven extremists are my fave faction.

Dwarf decks are the basic ST deck, cheap to build and are on the simpler side to play; just buff your resilient dwarves and try to protect them.

Then there are quite a few elven control decks but they don't have cool clear names except the Neophyte decks. Those use cards that spawn Elven Neophytes to buff Ele'yas (which is key to the deck), and use the ST ability to be the player who gets to play the last card (a huge Ele'yas) in the game-deciding round. Brouver Hoog leader ability is saved if Ele'yas isn't drawn by that time, to more consistently pull him from the deck. Of course this also requires that the ST player isn't in a card disadvantage because then the Ele'yas is in risk of getting removed.

There are also ambush decks and such but I'm only familiar with these two ST archetypes.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Flipswitch posted:

At low levels all dwarf all the time messes people up. Not everyone has enough counters for your persistent buffed dorfs. Many don't even know what a dimeritium bomb is, much less have it.

Edit: soundly beaten

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

If you're just starting out, put three Elven Mercenaries, three Hawker Healers, and three Clear Skies into a deck and just play around with the other 16 cards. Those bronzes are broken enough to carry you against a lot of stuff at low ranks.

If you want to win faster, put three Mahakam Defenders in as well.

Scoiatel's a pretty fun faction - their leader abilities aren't actually very good but their passive ability is ridiculous. Their most competitive leader, Eithne, is only any good because Hawker Healer is busted. Brouver's interesting because it should be one of the best abilities period but Scoia silvers are very bad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 11, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers for the advice. I'm looking forward to play. Might pre order the art book for Gwent too. The card art is awesome.

Is it worth dropping like £20 on packs to get started?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
It should help quite a bit but depends on your luck. In any case people have bad decks at low level so you don't need good cards right off the bat; I would first play for a bit to confirm that you like the game and later buy more cards, f.ex when moving to ladder play. (I bought 15 boosters at level 5)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That's not a bad idea. I play a few card games but not many but I love the witcher setting so seems like a good combination

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

FUCKEN# %#$*)(U&

Who gets to the final round with just one crone in their hand? I swear to god if I don't play that poo poo in the first round after mulligan'ing away at least one of their trio I get dead-carded by it.

RNG happens less often in this game but when it does strike god its a oval office.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea i've had some games with absolutely devastating terrible draws. Like all my spy cards in the last round bad.

As for buying packs, it is perfectly fine and I did because they are just going to give them back when the wipe happens. So I viewed it as going into release with enough cards to build a solid deck on day 1.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Was watching the Gwent Twitch stream and while it was mostly about artwork, they did reveal this website that looks to give out beta keys, if you are still needing one for some reason: http://becomethewildcard.com/

Basically you take a quiz and make a card out of your photos, but you get a beta key as well.

Edit: Also, that Roach premium is gonna be awesome if it's unchanged. I almost don't want to spoil any of it for the eventual gifs to come out. Here it is actually: https://clips.twitch.tv/CourageousImpartialCobraSmoocherZ

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 11, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

That roach premium :allears:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've been having so much fun in gwent.

It's so nice to have a card game that isn't just reskinned magic the gathering and I feel like I make a ton of tactical/strategic decisions every game rather than just 'play the best card' all the time. I'm definitely hooked after a few hours. I hope it gets real popular after closed beta so I can play with a nice healthy playerbase.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Edit: NVM, they deleted it and I wasn't smart enough to save it. Oh well.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 11, 2017

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I've been having so much fun in gwent.

It's so nice to have a card game that isn't just reskinned magic the gathering and I feel like I make a ton of tactical/strategic decisions every game rather than just 'play the best card' all the time. I'm definitely hooked after a few hours. I hope it gets real popular after closed beta so I can play with a nice healthy playerbase.

yeah im really diggin a card game that isnt just reskinned hearthstone or magic. cant wait for the wipe

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I can't wait for the wipe because every pack I get feels like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Stop teasing me and let me amass a true collection.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just got to rank 10, now I'm out of the noobies only area, my casual match is filled with people with real decks with 4 golds and cards that work well together, and I'm still playing geralt and well fed cow... should I try ranked and see if I match up against some similar players, or are low ranks still all weather monsters and scoiatel dwarves?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm upset that the very first starter deck that I got attached to and started changing to suit my own needs ends up being the standard meta scoiatel dorf deck. I swear i didn't know when I first started messing with it, now it seems everybody plays monsters and scoiatel. I don't think I've played against a single northern realms deck EVER, and only the nilfgaardians maybe 10 times.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Captainicus posted:

Just got to rank 10, now I'm out of the noobies only area, my casual match is filled with people with real decks with 4 golds and cards that work well together, and I'm still playing geralt and well fed cow... should I try ranked and see if I match up against some similar players, or are low ranks still all weather monsters and scoiatel dwarves?

I'm having this same problem. Casual is either relatively even matched, or ridiculous decks. Ranked is 100% ridiculous decks, and I just got into it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm assuming like other card games the low ranks are full of people with net decks that don't know how to play them. They've played longer than you, so they have great cards, but they don't understand the basics of how to play correctly. If it's hearthstone they just win anyway because all you gotta do is play on curve and win. Hopefully gwent has a game balance that allows for a bit more player skill, but I haven't hit level 10 yet so I don't know.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Yea I got to some higher ranked levels and it gets absurd. Everyone is playing relatively tight monster, sco'iatel decks with a few Skellige discards thrown in there. I started playing around with different formats and I've been getting wrecked. Now at these levels everyone I play has the best gold/silver cards from their respective decks. I see Igni a lot these days.

Oh btw, if you want to be an rear end in a top hat to a Skellige discard deck, pass on the first round before they can start the discard cycle. It fucks with them hard.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Oh btw, if you want to be an rear end in a top hat to a Skellige discard deck, pass on the first round before they can start the discard cycle. It fucks with them hard.

Eh, it's still a tough choice. If someone passes after I play longships but before I get discard going, I'll normally rez the longships at the start of round 2 to put out crazy pressure in round 2. It's kind of on a faction to faction basis though; vs monsters it's pretty important to get that last play to counter weather, vs ST you want to spread their power between rounds so they can't go off on a huge row at full strength.

Speaking of, I finally got over ~muh ranked anxiety~ by just playing ranked and wow, the competition is more fierce in casual. -Twice- I had people pass in round 2 after I won round 1 because they were up 20 strength with like 5 cards unplayed after I played Birna Bran: Then I just won the round and they went 2-0. :psyduck:

Then I had my first disconnect from server problems or something else and took a break. Pretty nice though, I get the feeling getting to mid tweens is just a matter of quantity like the Hearthstone ladder, but without the frequent monthly reset. I can probably pick up a Morkvarg today if I just play games until I get the 100 scraps I need then I'll go slam dunk my way to those free wipe packs :toot:

Minera fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Minrad posted:

Eh, it's still a tough choice. If someone passes after I play longships but before I get discard going, I'll normally rez the longships at the start of round 2 to put out crazy pressure in round 2. It's kind of on a faction to faction basis though; vs monsters it's pretty important to get that last play to counter weather, vs ST you want to spread their power between rounds so they can't go off on a huge row at full strength.

Speaking of, I finally got over ~muh ranked anxiety~ by just playing ranked and wow, the competition is more fierce in casual. -Twice- I had people pass in round 2 after I won round 1 because they were up 20 strength with like 5 cards unplayed after I played Birna Bran: Then I just won the round and they went 2-0. :psyduck:

Then I had my first disconnect from server problems or something else and took a break. Pretty nice though, I get the feeling getting to mid tweens is just a matter of quantity like the Hearthstone ladder, but without the frequent monthly reset. I can probably pick up a Morkvarg today if I just play games until I get the 100 scraps I need then I'll go slam dunk my way to those free wipe packs :toot:

There's a really strong switch around lvl 20/ ranked 7 where it gets really intense in the ranked matches and you get more of the strict Monster/Sco'iatel decks.

• Locked thread