Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
roach and king of beggars were like auto-includes in most decks

they changed both of them recently so we'll have to see whether or not they'll keep that status as auto-includes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

frajaq posted:

idgi is he still a good craft or what
I wouldn't craft any cards for a while. This might as well be a new game.

There are a lot of just weird and unsmooth design decisions so far, especially around weather. Clear skies clears weather from all rows, rally does the same thing it did before and also clears weather from one row making the clear skies sound as well every time you rally (?), weather has been changed to do some variety of tick damage at the end of your turn but also triggers an extra time when it's cleared (?). Changing the fleeting keyword to "doomed", even on clear skies feels really off. Other weird stuff like all golds being legendary rarity, which seems very bad. It feels just really rough... don't get me wrong I really enjoy the dramatic changes, I'd love for this to be a brand new game every four months, I just don't know what sort of game we're going to be stuck with when the devs finally are stuck launching due to real life constraints.

Some of my confusion is that I thought they were nerfing weather because it didn't actually make counterplay very interesting and just demanded one-card answers, but it was actually because they found that weather made CA too important so they want the same dramatic effects that you can't just sneak in because you're half a card up. Which is better, I guess, but an unanswered RnR early on in a long round 3 is even stronger than a last-card aeromancy was.

I think the new Keira - 5 str gold, spawn a Thunderbolt Potion, Quen Sign, or Epidemic - is sick though so my favorite W3 character may soon be my favorite card!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 23, 2017

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I take issue with a dumbass horse being stronger than like 3 different platoons of knights in this game

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Making all silvers epic and all golds legendaries basically sets a floor and a ceiling on how expensive a deck can be to craft. It's is a wash, especially since we're getting ~8 (3 generic 1 per faction) golds to start with this time.

Also, get it right, Roach is a mare.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
One of the Roaches is a mare.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

steakmancer posted:

I take issue with a dumbass horse being stronger than like 3 different platoons of knights in this game
There's not even a loose correlation between str and in-universe strength.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Making all silvers epic and all golds legendaries basically sets a floor and a ceiling on how expensive a deck can be to craft. It's is a wash, especially since we're getting ~8 (3 generic 1 per faction) golds to start with this time.

Also, get it right, Roach is a mare.
There were lots of playable silver rares in CB.

I'm not going to convince you, but requiring a pile of legendaries for any deckbuilding flexibility is bad for the game. Legendaries are incredibly expensive, and a new player won't even be able to make one a month assuming they do 2x their dailies every day. Run Triss, Geralt, Royal Decree (lol) and whatever else you're stuck with in 100% of your decks for months? Sounds like a blast. It also puts a ton of pressure on each crafting decision, which just means people will research what they should craft and we'll see more homogeneity immediately.

There should be rare, epic, and legendary golds, and the legendary golds could be a little stronger, who cares? As long as the others have some place like Bekker's Twisted Mirror had they'd be good for the game. Players need to feel like they made their decks, not used the 4 cards that were available to them, 6 of the 8 cards that were available to them, and then the bronzes.

The "tier 1 netdecks" can run 10 legendaries for all I care (and the devs should indeed soak the players more interested in competitive for more money, that's how these games work).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 23, 2017

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Minrad posted:

One of the Roaches is a mare.

All Roaches are mares. It's one of Geralt's quirks, he always gets a mare and always calls her Roach.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

LupusAter posted:

All Roaches are mares. It's one of Geralt's quirks, he always gets a mare and always calls her Roach.

But you can get a black stallion in Witcher 3. He still calls him Roach.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Minrad posted:

But you can get a black stallion in Witcher 3. He still calls him Roach.

Are you talking about the black stallion Ciri gets from the Bloody Baron? I don't remember Geralt getting one.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

Run Triss, Geralt, Royal Decree (lol) and whatever else you're stuck with in 100% of your decks for months?

this isn't hearthstone, though: in the time it takes to earn 100 gold in hearthstone you can earn 2-3 kegs and 100~200 dust a day. Plus with the ranked rewards it's possible to target and craft most or all of the legendaries for a faction within a month of starting.

Meanwhile in hearthstone I think it took around 3 years before I collected all of the class legendaries for classic, not that I ever actually finished a lot of flex/tech neutral legendaries like Onyxia.

ShowTime posted:

Are you talking about the black stallion Ciri gets from the Bloody Baron? I don't remember Geralt getting one.

if you take ciri to emhyr and don't accept the coin, you get a black nilfgaardian stallion that replaces roach, iirc

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
New thread is up. Getting it up now so we can hopefully get some posts in it and get people to see it tomorrow when the open beta begins at 9AM EST.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821481

Also, it's still kind of a work in progress. I didn't post too much because I don't have access to the new client or any pictures of the new client/content.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I feel like spamming "bloede arse" every time it's available is affecting my likelihood of getting Good Gamed

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who missed all the other betas and is starting this tomorrow, any tips for someone who played a lot of Witcher 3 gwent? I've heard the game is less about spies now.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
if you spam click the pass turn button you can make it pulse, thanks and god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
We have a new thread for the open beta and you can find all the help you need there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821481

To answer your question, it's a completely different game. No faction abilities, weather is different, you mulligan in between every round. So, it's Gwent, but it's not The Witcher 3 Gwent. Do the tutorials to start. Should take you a couple hours and you'll unlock all of the leaders and some free kegs.

• Locked thread