Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm trying this game out and immediately took a liking to Nilfgaard. However, I don't quite get how all the cards are meant to work just yet.

Cantarella, I assume, is meant to be played for her card draw basically only in decks able to reclaim your spies?
I fail to see much value in Emissary. Are they just meant to be cantrip spies to trigger spy-related efffects of other cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm a scrub, but in my Nilfgaard deck 2x Clear Sky + innate redraws is plenty enough.

Note that d-bombs, while awesome on their own, also override weather, so that's a nice half-measure.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

That's why 1xLacerate owns bones.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Spies:
Cantarella is your classic spy-for-a-card deal
Emissary, Joachim de Wett play you an extra unit (the latter adds a buff) and happen to leave a body on the other side of the board
Ambassador buffs a random unit of yours by 12 and leaves a 2 strength body on oponent's board
Fake Ciri is a terrible piece of trash you should forget exists that maybe one day will be buffed into a reverse Yennefer: the Conjurer one day

Support:
Impera Enforcers and Nauzicaa Brigade are regular dudes that get buffed by the presence of spies
John Calveit (leader) and Treason allow you to pull a spy or few back onto your board - steal them back
Menno is a dude who nukes all spies

And finally:
Letho is either a super-lock or a godlike combo - he's a spy that banishes and absorbs three non-golds and absorbs their strength, meaning no Morkvargs, no resurrects, no bullshit. The combo is following this up with dimeritium omb/shackles to turn Letho silver and then pulling him back with Calveit/Treason for some ridiculous point swing

How do you play them?
If you're running a regular Nilfgaard deck, you might play Ambassadors, Cantarella and Joachim for their straight value.

If you're going all-in on spies, you basically spam 'em, use Imperas et al to make up for the bodies you're leaving and try to close a round with a big Calveit/Menno swing. In terms of being good or not, it's one of these decks that's on par in terms of what it can achieve, but is also a self-imposed unforgiving tightrope puzzle.

Major combos:
- The aforementioned Letho one,
- Fire a rot tosser into an empty ranged row. Then, unless the opponent suicides something or locks/bounces the cow, you can play Cantarella next turn and gain card advantage for free,
- As Cantarella, Joachim and Emissaries draw you units/cards, you can set them up with Stefan Skellen

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Just as I've crafted Morvran and Impera's to go with my Cahir.

On the other hand, Assasination!

Minrad posted:

Wow, did they just straight buff rot tosser?

Cow now triggers at the end of the turn. Should ruin a lot of sneaky plays.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It was the same amount of turns, but triggered when they began. So now it's effectively one more turn to react + no sneaking in a special card to equalize the row.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

No Wave posted:

One thing I dont like at all is the new Radovid though.

Kinda mixed on him. Like, I don't think the 4-hit and lock/unlock mesh together that well, but on the other hand ability to unlock is quite intriguing and one thing I want to see more in this game are proper control decks for assholes - and I mean proper control playstyle, not just calling that any deck that prefers dishing out damage to buffing self. Would like to see him double-lock instead.

Like, my dream Gwent card is some Nilfgaard dude forcing to redraw a revealed card of choice.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also is Auckes now an exact Cleaver clone on a different row?

[edit] Nevermind, saw a fuller list.

[edit2] Goddamn, Impera Enforcers are deader than dead at +2 per pop.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 14, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Honestly, some of the changes seem less like balance tweaks and more checking poo poo out while it's still just closed beta.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Right now I'm saving scrap to transition from Rot Tosser Morvran to Calveit Letho shenanigans, that should be one Nilfgaard archetype giving least fucks about locks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Where should I be going from here? Beyond switching Alchemist for another Spotter and Geralt for something more strategically valuable I don't really know what to include or preclude.

Buying Morvran instead.

Seriously though, cut one Clear Sky for a third Knight. I also like single or two Combat Engineers in this archetype, as they work with Knights, Mangonels and whatever your spies have buffed. I'd switch Johnny for Assire Var Anahid - in worst case scenario it's a Fringilla Vigo equivalent and can gently caress with both Skellige and Wild Hunt Rider-style cards.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Mangonels can be awkward and will be hosed in the lock-happy meta to come, but let's be honest here, throwing them out might mean ditching Emhyr as well.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

I think overall, that Reveal mechanic is lacking one or two cards to make it work properly and consistently, but Mangonel isn't the right answer. It's a bad card, much like warships without the ability to get them back when things go south. Sometimes an obvious combo just doesn't work.

As I've written before, imo an ideal card for this archetype should be a dude who forces a redraw of a chosen revealed card when he drops. Reveal should be about outplay potential, rather than stacking numbers, but right now it really boils down to card advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I've been out of the loop for a month or so, what are they going to do to my favourite faction passive?

• Locked thread