Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It was the kind of voice work you can expect in a flash game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparker
Feb 26, 2017

Boxturret posted:

I like that after years they have Miles "Tails" Ehhart as the one intractable npc and he's not even in the game yet. And they keep messing with him and developing fancy fluid simulations for his drink and giving him more and more coats.

Yet this game is somehow going to have thousands of npcs with similar detail within the next few years?? :lol:

Wait until they get their NPC coat pipeline up and running before you start talking trash like this.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Lt_Tofu posted:

Best part of the quest is that you can't even defend yourself as you carry the box out. Dumbest poo poo ever.

That didn't even occur to me :lol:.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

It was the kind of voice work you can expect in a flash game.

Just struck me.
Chris guided Skywalker and Scully in their voice work didnt he.

So how terrible is their conversations going to be?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I liked that the rover's "damage state" was just every part of the wheel assembly separating off into a separate physics object, so the tires all popped off the rims and rolled away.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Just struck me.
Chris guided Skywalker and Scully in their voice work didnt he.

So how terrible is their conversations going to be?
I'd imagine he got Hamill to say parodies of his lines in the SW movies.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean, did we actually see any systems in place? As far as I can tell it was a few designated "PCs" who went up to puppets being controlled by a basement of CIG employees who looked like they were being held at gunpoint. A few lines of dialog were given, and then we jumped into a space chariot while that room full of nerds carefully moved a bunch of assets around and made sure to run a console command so a ship could explode at a precise moment in time.

Even leaving aside the hilariously broken bullshit of everything, did we actually see a quest? Or did we watch a bunch of idiots go through the motions of a quest? In WoW, I get assigned a quest and the game tracks my objectives as I do them and when I finish collecting my dozen bear asses, the game goes ding and I get some bauble. I get feedback that the game has noticed me and is watching what I'm doing and knows when to pat me on the head. I don't think we saw any evidence of that; a bunch of people role-playing a spaceman who role played being in an MMO with other parts being people role playing being an NPC role playing an MMO. It's a Potemkin village of a video game. There's nothing inside, the facade is thin and cracking and it reveals not an ugly face, but a vast void where a game would be.

It's one thing to be concerned about the quality of a quest, assuming that there's some infrastructure in place to build around and construct things out of certain elemental gameplay pieces. But I don't think we even saw evidence that there's that skeleton.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bubbacub posted:

I don't understand why Chris is so proud of Miles Eckhart. The dialogue sounds like it was archered from the original Deus Ex.

Also Eggheart voice acting quality is below what I've seen high school kids manage in a play, not exaggerating at all though it's almost certainly because VisionManTM directed him to badly fake his voice to sound like Alex Jones. It's jarringly bad though, up there with Admiral Oldman (not to be confused with 'Old Man' Hammil, who also sounds terrible)

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Starter players have to actually man the shops.

Only after a promotion. Starter players will have to work in the back of the shop, sorting stock and ordering items from the wholesaler.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Basic rule of thumb

If a team after a year of promising something, hasn't delivered it (having missed all of the deadlines they themselves set), acts like that is no big deal, and when asked about when it's going to be delivered the project leader says "lol, when it's done", then RUN AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN FROM THAT poo poo.

Citizens! Get a refund. Like yesterday.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

I mean, did we actually see any systems in place? As far as I can tell it was a few designated "PCs" who went up to puppets being controlled by a basement of CIG employees who looked like they were being held at gunpoint. A few lines of dialog were given, and then we jumped into a space chariot while that room full of nerds carefully moved a bunch of assets around and made sure to run a console command so a ship could explode at a precise moment in time.

Even leaving aside the hilariously broken bullshit of everything, did we actually see a quest? Or did we watch a bunch of idiots go through the motions of a quest? In WoW, I get assigned a quest and the game tracks my objectives as I do them and when I finish collecting my dozen bear asses, the game goes ding and I get some bauble. I get feedback that the game has noticed me and is watching what I'm doing and knows when to pat me on the head. I don't think we saw any evidence of that; a bunch of people role-playing a spaceman who role played being in an MMO with other parts being people role playing being an NPC role playing an MMO. It's a Potemkin village of a video game. There's nothing inside, the facade is thin and cracking and it reveals not an ugly face, but a vast void where a game would be.

It's one thing to be concerned about the quality of a quest, assuming that there's some infrastructure in place to build around and construct things out of certain elemental gameplay pieces. But I don't think we even saw evidence that there's that skeleton.

Yeah they just went in a static wreck and picked up a red box, there was no indication that that particular box was what the guy wanted, there was no indicator that they did the right thing, and nothing happened went they lost the box, it was just a bunch of people roleplaying playing a videogame.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

AbstractNapper posted:

Basic rule of thumb

If a team after a year of promising something, hasn't delivered it (having missed all of the deadlines they themselves set), acts like that is no big deal, and when asked about when it's going to be delivered the project leader says "lol, when it's done", then RUN AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN FROM THAT poo poo.

Show me one promise cig has ever made. They set purposely aggressive goals. Not deadlines. Nothing has been delayed

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

AbstractNapper posted:

Basic rule of thumb

On a serious note i looked up what the new release date for got book 6 is and hes all "itll be done when its done no dates"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kind of funny, the last couple pages made me realize how bigger a farce this quest was than I realized. Guess I was laughing too hard during the entire fiasco to draw it all in.

One thing I thought of though, could a Reclaimer come in and salvage the derelict Caterpillar?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Pardon my breach of thread etiquette

I think it's just a new page snipe that 'requires' a cat/dog/whatever tax

It's just nice to see pets in thread, for my immersion :)

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

AbstractNapper posted:

Basic rule of thumb

But an entirely new set of previously-unseen features and promises to be delivered at an undisclosed point in the future further past the set of promises that have yet to be delivered is just how game development works, right? Not this "engineering debt" people keep crowing about?

also lol thumb :trustme:

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
page 2013, also a year star citizen was already being developed.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Guy from crowd: So when is it coming out?

The Prophet: When's it coming out? well, ah, w-Get me footage from the team, guys

Wow.

Are you sure we're not watching a comedy show? Because that felt like a line from it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 27, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Serious question, why don't just give up and contract a real developer studio to develop the game with their 0.15 billion dollars?

How far along is Space Engineers nowadays? Maybe they could buy out the studio and build their garbage on top of that? Just floating some ideas here

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Kind of funny, the last couple pages made me realize how bigger a farce this quest was than I realized. Guess I was laughing too hard during the entire fiasco to draw it all in.

One thing I thought of though, could a Reclaimer come in and salvage the derelict Caterpillar?
That would require every wreck to be a separate physics object.

Then someone sneezes and every single wreck on the map spins and parps into orbit.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Kind of funny, the last couple pages made me realize how bigger a farce this quest was than I realized.
Nothing actually worked apart from people moving. We can't even tell for certain if the guns really worked (one sure didn't).

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Serious question, why don't just give up and contract a real developer studio to develop the game with their 0.15 billion dollars?

How far along is Space Engineers nowadays? Maybe they could buy out the studio and build their garbage on top of that? Just floating some ideas here

That's what they did at the beginning but they kept changing everything so the moneys gone.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I can't wait for 3.0 and the massive and breathtaking shitstorm CIG will have created for themselves

But you underestimate the stupidity of backers

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Space Engineers is good and well-developed, but it's a very different game than star citizen wishes it was.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

hey hi hello, I'm an aspiring vaporware space sim enthusiast from the gbs doobie thread and i've not been following this shitshow at all. can someone give a quick rundown what these clowns have been doing with >0.1 billion dollars for half a decade? how has there been so little progress? if you code that long, with so much funding, you gotta produce at least something, even if by accident, right?

Well they spent the first 4 years building a cult from the ground up. Only recently have they been able to properly perform rites. But now that the spiritual pipeline is in place we can all expect to achieve enlightenment in two weeks. Stop being so impatient, most religions take way longer to reach this level of sophistication.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

That's what they did at the beginning but they kept changing everything so the moneys gone.

how? how do you blow so much company money, without breaking the law?

I'm not in the US, so my numbers may be off, but with an average programmer personnel cost of $100k per year and 20 employees it still comes out to "only" $10m after 5 years. How do you blow $150m loving US dollars? That's not "CEO drives a porsche company car"-money, that's way beyond that

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well, I mean leaving aside the fact there aren't any systems in place that resemble a game play loop, I'm pretty sure SC hasn't decided what kind of game SC is going to be, because it promises everything to everyone simultaneously, many of the promises being mutually exclusive with each other.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Toops posted:

This is why shitizens should pray this game never comes out. A small gank-squad of goons would just camp the black box pickup location and destroy everything that moves, forcing them to re-start the 30-minute wake up, walk, wait in line, talk to mission-giver, walk, buy mission stuff, drive, board, fly, etc etc etc etc sequence all over again. Some white knight whale would show up to "save the day" in his $2000 pay-to-win spaceshep and clear the way for all the lowly, plebeian, poop-deck-swabbing mission-goers feeling grief from those drat dirty goons, and we would use one of an innumerable number of exploits to insta-gib his precious.

that sounds fun

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

I'd imagine he got Hamill to say parodies of his lines in the SW movies.

Oh, 100% sure it will have "homages" to both their work *and* wing commander. The problem is only Ben will recognize the WC ones while everybody will cringe at Scully saying that the truth is out there.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

Thanks for that. I could see something was a little off but couldn't quite put my finger on it because there are a few occasions when one or two wheels left the ground completely.

I happened across the july studio report. Is has some obvious early 2017 gamescom demo images. So I would guess that they started pulling resources into that yearly project by at least late June. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16043-Monthly-Studio-Report-July-2017

Almost same mission description:

Black box:

Actually that brings up a interesting point, how much of the "work being done" and "bugs being fixed" segments we've been seeing from CIG have been work on this bullshot? At the very least I recognized the weapon highlighting from a Bug Smashers segment. So I have to wonder, has anything actually been done on 3.0 for the past couple months, or has it all been CIG working on the Gamescom demo?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Kromlech posted:

Space Engineers is good and well-developed, but it's a very different game than star citizen wishes it was.

It was funny watching some people who are very tough on space engineers watching the gamescon thing and eating everything up and dismissing all the bad stuff imidiately while drooling over the ships

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
If we keep posting, we can probably accurately predict when the game will actually come out by thread pages

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

If we keep posting, we can probably accurately predict when the game will actually come out by thread pages

Year 6665?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm not in the US, so my numbers may be off, but with an average programmer personnel cost of $100k per year and 20 employees it still comes out to "only" $10m after 5 years. How do you blow $150m loving US dollars? That's not "CEO drives a porsche company car"-money, that's way beyond that
Chris Roberts micromanages the gently caress out of everyone in any position, so all competent people have jumped the ship and all that's left are interns redoing the same things over and over again. Over and over again. In high-poly quality. Oh, and the lead of their engine tech team is actually an animator.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

In short, the most extreme cart-before-the-horse development the world has ever seen. Chris Roberts paid several A-List Hollywood actors millions of dollars to get on camera next to his unfortunate wife, and paid tens of millions of dollars for motion capture before they had a functioning game engine and before they knew if they could use any of it.

He spent millions more creating, throwing away, recreating, re-throwing away, and creating yet again several spaceship assets before he had a functioning game engine, and with no consideration as to whether or not those assets would work with each other, the engine, or the aforementioned motion capture. Spoiler: it didn't.

He also spend untold millions of dollars building 4 studios around the world, because successful game development studios have that. The fact that real publishers earned them over time by actually creating and releasing games is lost on him.

They also spent millions of dollars creating a real-life Truman Show analogue consisting of constant video feeds, "behind the scenes", "lore", fake world assets, and thousands of hours of complete bullshit video intended to make it look like they're making progress on a "game."

What Chris did not do - what nobody in CIG has ever done - is decide what Star Citizen is. Nobody has created a game design, nobody has proposed a core game loop, nobody has considered even one single moment of gameplay or how any of this will work. It's just Chris Roberts continuing to exist as the genetic error he was born as. Stupidity is expensive.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

Guy from crowd: So when is it coming out?

The Prophet: When's it coming out? well, ah, w-Get me footage from the team, guys

Wow.

Are you sure we're not watching a comedy show? Because that felt like a line from it.

That was one of the defining moments of the stream, one of Crobblers fans, one of his customers and supporters, asking a very simple question that could easily have been honestly answered with "Hopefully in the near future, we want you guys to have this as soon as possible". Crobblers listened to the question, repeated it so everyone could hear and then...

He suddenly, after talking the feature up enthusiastically proimising a great experience, decided to act as though he had better things to and completely ignored his duty to give an answer.

(Ewe2's "That's the magic happening" would be perfect to add to that particular clip) :)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 27, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

In short, the most extreme cart-before-the-horse development the world has ever seen. Chris Roberts paid several A-List Hollywood actors millions of dollars to get on camera next to his unfortunate wife, and paid tens of millions of dollars for motion capture before they had a functioning game engine and before they knew if they could use any of it.

He spent millions more creating, throwing away, recreating, re-throwing away, and creating yet again several spaceship assets before he had a functioning game engine, and with no consideration as to whether or not those assets would work with each other, the engine, or the aforementioned motion capture. Spoiler: it didn't.

He also spend untold millions of dollars building 4 studios around the world, because successful game development studios have that. The fact that real publishers earned them over time by actually creating and releasing games is lost on him.

They also spent millions of dollars creating a real-life Truman Show analogue consisting of constant video feeds, "behind the scenes", "lore", fake world assets, and thousands of hours of complete bullshit video intended to make it look like they're making progress on a "game."

What Chris did not do - what nobody in CIG has ever done - is decide what Star Citizen is. Nobody has created a game design, nobody has proposed a core game loop, nobody has considered even one single moment of gameplay or how any of this will work. It's just Chris Roberts continuing to exist as the genetic error he was born as. Stupidity is expensive.

Like your posts, but please remember they have 5 studios. Don't forget Darby (As I usually do.) Not that it counts as much, but it still is another location nonetheless.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6w8too/miles_eckhart_is_the_most_lifelike_npc_i_have/

Be honest, how many times have you rewatched the cap ship fight at this point?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Remember idiots being excited over this almost exactly a year ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

ahahahahahah, absolutely fantastic

where were you all my life, Star Citizen? :munch: