Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I must say I didn't expect SC to die because of a legal suit filed by the game engine's owner, there was a hundred other possible reasons but I didn't see this one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am eagerly awaiting any communique from CIG on this at all

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Your honour we would have responded to this lawsuit in a timely manner but our world renowned legal expert broke both his wrists in a terrible tickling accident so we request another two weeks.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

alphabettitouretti posted:

Your honour we would have responded to this lawsuit in a timely manner but our world renowned legal expert broke both his wrists in a terrible tickling accident so we request another two weeks.

a 21 day summons was issued yesterday, merry Christmas CIG

:gary:

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

alf_pogs posted:

Well, just wait for the next episode of "10 for the defendant"

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Goons anticipated this in 2015 already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

They released a brief paragraph statement in response that may or may not have incriminated them further. Please refer to the December blog... or to this quote.

quote:

We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court ... CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Slow_Moe posted:

Star Citizen: Sue you in the 'Verse!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

His earlier work is more relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyynw9e6DLY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The mention of the Silicon Knights vs. Epic Games court case earlier reminded me of this old article about life at Silicon Knights and its boss, Denis Dyack.

quote:

Dyack holds three degrees: two in Computer Science and one in Physical Education. It's the latter qualification that shines through, according to former employees. "He runs his company like a high school gym class or football team," one said. "He sets examples of those who offend him. He is incapable of celebrating others' successes. He is irrationally competitive to a fault; for example, he has to sue Epic Games and gloat about it online . [In his mind] you're either for him, or against him." (In May 2012, Epic prevailed in that five year-long court case that included a counterclaim from Epic; SK was ordered to pay $US4.45 million in damages. A statement released by Dyack read simply, "We are disappointed by the outcome and we plan on appealing .")

Former employees also described Dyack as aloof and disconnected from the development process. Some posit that he refused to read the game's design documents, its script, or play any builds of the game himself, yet this seems a little far-fetched considering the game's two-and-a-half year gestation.

"I distinctly remember a theatre review of the 'Chinatown' level, which was so broken that it was completely unnavigable, even by the lead designer playing it," a source says. "Dyack's only note was that the 'lights should be more red.' In another instance, he thought the final boss fight should be interrupted by 'a challenge room' -- his favourite thing from Too Human."

Another source recounts an anecdote from a different theatre review. "The game was an unplayable disaster [in the review], but he got fixated on a static mesh of a non-interactive grey truck in the background. He gave the company a 20 minute lecture on the fact that he'd never buy a grey truck; he wanted it painted red." Accordingly, some SK employees sniggered behind their backs at Dyack: "We jokingly coined the phrase 'paint the truck!' for other ridiculous, off-the-hip 'executive orders' that sprang forth from Denis' mouth," says the same source. "Incidentally, I played the game after release... the truck is still grey."

Throughout the game's development, Dyack was said to be an "absentee" project director by the former employees I talked to. But, problematically, they also described him as hard to deal with, calling for changes after long absences. "He'd abandon the project for three months at a time, say ‘everything is good' when it's obviously completely broken, then come back again in a month and yell at everybody." Considering the encompassing nature of the lawsuit that SK brought against Epic Games and the high stakes involved for both parties, though, it's unsurprising that the company president's attention was elsewhere, at least on occasion.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Kins posted:

They released a brief paragraph statement in response that may or may not have incriminated them further. Please refer to the December blog... or to this quote.

I still can't get over this. It's just too incredible for words or brain cells.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This seems like an appropriate song to play while reading the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de6ne28jWDw

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Kins posted:

The mention of the Silicon Knights vs. Epic Games court case earlier reminded me of this old article about life at Silicon Knights and its boss, Denis Dyack.

MAKE THAT PIXEL GREEN

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I've got a contact at CGBot that explained what went on regarding SC, and the folks there weren't close enough to CIG for the kind of gossip on those leaks.

To elaborate, CGBot is based in Austin, but all the work is actually done in Mexico. They deal almost exclusively with asset production, and in the case of SC they designed the original Hornet plus a lot of work on objects, interiors, clothing, etc.

The extent of their contact with CIG was art leads being sent concept art and receiving really lovely feedback, no budget (as in, memory, polygons they should use), having constant minor revisions forced upon them, and the entire company put through the grinder essentially with volume of work combined with the aforementioned. But CGBot was actually in dire straits at the time so they needed the work, then once they could bow out it was a "never again" thing for the company.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

AP posted:

This goes to the heart of what has happened to all the money in my view.

Chris Roberts couldn't have built the demo without Crytek, on kickstarter launch day CIG's (subcontractor, built) website crashed, so CIG switched subcontractors to Turbulent. This is a pattern that repeats, there are so many ex-subcontractors, Turbulent are understandably a lot harder to ditch now than normal.

Turbulent - Web platform, Spectrum, store, sales - Montreal, Canada

Behaviour Interactive - Concept art, Ships, 890 Jump, x85, mobiGlas, hangar flair - Montreal, Canada

CGBot - Artwork - Mexico Probable source of the leak from 2013

IllFonic - FPS module/1st unfinished version of Star Marine - Denver

Moon Collider - Kythera Artificial Intelligence middleware - Scotland

Rmory - weapon concept art - Bavaria, Germany

The Imaginarium - 63+ day Failed motion capture shoot - London

Wyrmbyte - Network engineering, Universe, Servers - Louisville Colorado

Virtuos - Ships, 1st version of the Cutlass, props - Shanghai, China

RedHotCG - props - Shanghai, China

voidALPHA - environment & concept art - Emeryville, California

Not even sure this covers all the ones we know about (faceware, Side for casting etc), never mind the ones that were never made public. Now consider that Chris Roberts doesn't seem able to do much himself, so he hires people, after a while the relationship normally ends. It now appears, the relationship sometimes ends very badly :gary:

Yes, you're missing:

Streamline Studios (Netherlands) - SQ42 Art (stuff in leak)

Massive Black (California) - Art

Atomahawk Design (England) - Art

Confetti Special FX (California) - Nebula tech and explosion particle effects

3lateral (Serbia) - Facial mapping

Cubic Motion (England) - Facial animation

Liquid Development (Oregon) - art

The period where they were using this massive list of outsourced studios is actually the period where the project made the most progress - we got the Hangar Module, Social Module, Arena Commander, Illfonic Star Marine with Sataball, Ship Adverts, and saw some stuff of SQ42.

Then they started transitioning stuff in house in mid-2015 to mid-2016, and that's basically the point everything ground to a halt. It's clear most of the work these old studios did have been redone to Chris whims, and they're now firefighting all the time and chasing the next gimmick.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Someone better loving buy me that avatar by the time I check back here in the morning; or no more E.L.E. scoops.

And make sure you retain all the text I have in my current avatar section or so help me God I will Wahlord your rear end.

Mother of God!! You guys did it! I got me the avatar!! :laffo:

I love it!!

OK, we have a deal. The on-going scoops (I am sitting on one which I think I can share soon - just waiting for one more verification) will continue - every Two Weeks.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

I've got a contact at CGBot that explained what went on regarding SC, and the folks there weren't close enough to CIG for the kind of gossip on those leaks.

To elaborate, CGBot is based in Austin, but all the work is actually done in Mexico. They deal almost exclusively with asset production, and in the case of SC they designed the original Hornet plus a lot of work on objects, interiors, clothing, etc.

The extent of their contact with CIG was art leads being sent concept art and receiving really lovely feedback, no budget (as in, memory, polygons they should use), having constant minor revisions forced upon them, and the entire company put through the grinder essentially with volume of work combined with the aforementioned. But CGBot was actually in dire straits at the time so they needed the work, then once they could bow out it was a "never again" thing for the company.

People visit different sites and gossip spreads, in an unprofessional company in my experience, it spreads far and fast. I don't think you can rule it out, Mexico or Quebec, the full leak is on the link but at the time I seem to recall the leak was dismissed because the leaked future sale details changed. Potato, Potato.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kw0134 posted:

The various assorted stupidities of the SCultists have been amusing but when they completely mangle legal principles and good lawyering that for some reason sticks in my craw. No you dumbshit, ask any lawyer who took first year Civ Pro, and they'll recognize the dollar figure of 75k because they want to allege grounds for diversity jurisdiction. Even if they were "hard up on cash" you smooth-brained idiot, they still wouldn't get that sum unless they win the suit, which happens at the end, which makes your attempted point plainly nonsensical even if you have only the barest knowledge of how the legal system works. A top firm doesn't work for peanuts and if they're taking a case like this it's because they see a large fee won on contingency, which if they're good at their jobs means they've assessed the legal merit as good because they're not getting a lot of money unless they win. And no, since everything alleged is half in the public in the form of all the garbage videos CIG's put out, there's nothing being "hidden" here, aside from maybe the full contract which isn't public (yet) but clearly the lawyers would have seen that. CIG implicated itself with its official public statement, you jackass! There's nothing to fake when your opponent is busy walking into bear traps of their own accord.

So loving stupid. You getting nothing and the lawyers getting everything else after Crytek extracts its pound of flesh is precisely what you deserve you worthless twats.

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

----------------

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

Yes, you're missing:

Massive Black (California) - Art

Atomahawk Design (England) - Art

Confetti Special FX (California) - Nebula tech and explosion particle effects

3lateral (Serbia) - Facial mapping

Cubic Motion (England) - Facial animation

Liquid Development (Oregon) - art

The period where they were using this massive list of outsourced studios is actually the period where the project made the most progress - we got the Hangar Module, Social Module, Arena Commander, Illfonic Star Marine with Sataball, Ship Adverts, and saw some stuff of SQ42.

Then they started transitioning stuff in house in mid-2015 to mid-2016, and that's basically the point everything ground to a halt. It's clear most of the work these old studios did have been redone to Chris whims, and they're now firefighting all the time and chasing the next gimmick.

Yes thank you, frankly, I got bored, the failure of Star Citizen is such a vast subject. Good luck with the book Derek, but let us help you pick the cover.

Edit "Streamline Studios (Netherlands) - SQ42 Art (stuff in leak)" oh wow, nice one.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
This holiday season must be the one time Derek sat on Santa's knee, got to say what he wanted and didn't get kicked out for saying "LET ME loving FINISH" at an elf.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Here's a little song I wrote, you might want to learn it note for note, don't worry be happy

(I will be recording a new parody tonight hopefully when it's a bit cooler. It is very relevant right now)

Derek Smart was right.

This is good :golfclap:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/12/14/star-citizen-lawsuit/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Kins posted:

So they officially and willingly confirmed that they were using the Cryengine until at least December 23rd 2016 thus giving even more ammunition to CryTek's lawyers. Nice.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AP posted:

People visit different sites and gossip spreads, in an unprofessional company in my experience, it spreads far and fast. I don't think you can rule it out, Mexico or Quebec, the full leak is on the link but at the time I seem to recall the leak was dismissed because the leaked future sale details changed. Potato, Potato.

I'm ruling out CGBot because their people in Mexico stay in Mexico, and only interact with the clients through official company channels. Watercooler gossip would've necessarily had to have happened with the Austin folk, and those aren't ESL.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It's funny they're trying to dismiss this as a cash grab by CryTek. "They're just after CIG's millions!!!!"

Yeah no poo poo they want money, that's what their loving contract said would happen. They didn't get involved because they strongly believed in the incoherent vision of a thumbman who waved his hands and promised fidelity.

But it seems the only people who should be condemned for not sticking to an agreement are filthy leavers who ask for refunds on a product that doesn't exist.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Palpek posted:

So they officially and willingly confirmed that they were using the Cryengine until at least December 23rd 2016 thus giving even more ammunition to CryTek's lawyers. Nice.

I thought the bigger thing was stating that they weren't using it anymore even though in that legal thing it's sounds like part of the contact was that they had to use it exclusively.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Palpek posted:

Better.
"36. Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a critical promise from Defendants
that they would not develop the Star Citizen video game using any other video game
engines."

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Is this something that will take years in an courtroom?

Or just two weeks.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rudager posted:

I thought the bigger thing was stating that they weren't using it anymore even though in that legal thing it's sounds like part of the contact was that they had to use it exclusively.

The takeaway is that going by the legal documents we've seen so far the statement was really loving dumb and they should have said nothing more than "no comment". That may have just been more fuel for the fire. If it ends up in court one of those lawyers with the funny name is going to have a great time tying them in knots with those couple of sentences alone.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Orions Lord posted:

Or just two weeks.

90 days, tops

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ah, thanks, I haven't read the text of the actual suit yet. It seems that CIG hasn't either. That's pretty epic.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Palpek posted:

Ah, thanks, I haven't read the text of the actual suit yet. It seems that CIG hasn't either. That's pretty epic.

It's pretty good

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Orions Lord posted:

Or just two weeks.

Ima be surprised if this ever gets to court. The tickler in black is not going to cut it for this. They're going to have to employ the services of real and very expensive lawyers. If their bank accounts are not extremely healthy then fighting it may just not be an option. There may be no choice but to close the space doors one last time and leave the backers with nothing but jpegs and regret. Settling is a possibility but then the question is why didn't they do that before now?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, I've been working on an xmas song parody for a while, and I was stuck as hell.

Thanks Crytek, you helped me.

I only wish enough goons could be in the same place to do a recording....

It's Space court time, Star Citizens are so afraid
At Space court time, Crytek will at last get paid
C-I-G says it's nothing, but they have lied so much before
Throw your arms into the air
It's Space court time!
But say a prayer and pray for the dev peons
At Space court time, it's hard but we're all having fun
There's a 'verse inside your PC, and it's a 'verse of dread and fear
Where a wankpod door can kill you, And I clipped through my space gondolier
And the Space court bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom
Well, tonight, thank God it's them instead of Coutts

And 3.0 won't come out before Space court time
Chris says he won't pay crytek one lone dime
His ego only grows, while his game's in it's death throes
Does he know it's Space court time at all?

Here's to you, crunch time hours for everyone
Here's to Chris driving off into the sun
Do they know it's Space court time at all?

Derek called it!
Derek called it!

Derek called it!
Let them know it's Space court time again
Derek called it!
Derek called it!
Derek called it!
Derek called it!
Derek called it!
Derek called it!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm ruling out CGBot because their people in Mexico stay in Mexico, and only interact with the clients through official company channels. Watercooler gossip would've necessarily had to have happened with the Austin folk, and those aren't ESL.

RubberJohnny posted:

Blaegis1
Jul 13, 2016

MinorInconvenience posted:

Okay, fine. But CIG decided to terminate the license. Then CIG went with someone else (Amazon). The language quoted does not clearly state that CIG could not just stop using CryEngine. That's what I want to see.

That would be in the termination clause of the GLA, which is, sadly, as yet unleaked.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Blaegis1 posted:

That would be in the termination clause of the GLA, which is, sadly, as yet unleaked.

I'm imagining the termination of the CryTek contract was like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-m3RtoguAQ

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So that's happening...in +2hrs. Since I got the link, the Usual Suspects are already in attendance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MzzuiQVTDw

----------------

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Something I don't understand - Crytek expected CIG to provide them....

quote:

....with any bug fixes, and optimizations made to the CryEngine's original source code files (including CryEngine tools provided by Crytek) as a complete compilable version.

Why is there included, and agreed to, a provision for CIG to fix up Crytek's poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daztek posted:

90 days, tops

Really? Is that just to process the initial terms of the suit or is the case that far along?