Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I have no idea what this 'AMD Letter' is

The AMD Letter will be bright, loud and glorious. It cannot be hidden forever.

TheAgent posted:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

AMD dude who is part the AMD game promo thing posted:

We're partnered with them [CIG], of course. We are. It's four months before E3 and we're getting our PC showcase set up. We're reaching out to get demos, sizzle reels, all kinds of different promo stuff. We hear back from a lot of people; there's some new stuff, new games, new partners, all that. Absent is a response from CIG.

Someone else here handles all that, she's calling and calling thinking there's some mistake or she's not getting through to the right people. It's now three months until the PC Gamer showcase and there's nothing on the table from CIG. She's trying to set up a conf call or a face to face with CIG and there's nothing solid set up.

She finally talks to someone over there and is assured we'll get a slice of scripted gameplay and some cutscene stuff with the big name A listers on the project. E3 is what, six weeks away? Maybe seven at this point.

A week later what we get a package with a disc, no explanation, table of contents, nothing. On it, there's nothing new, [its] a mashup of all their previous trailers. It's not even cut differently. We have the Hamil one, the Oldman speech, some fighters shooting things and some FPS segments that were lifted straight out of the last con they did. They're all just dumped into a "Promo" folder on a blu-ray.

She's thinking this is a mistake, they sent us the wrong material -- easy mistake to make, you throw in an old disc instead of the one you just cut, it got handled differently, an intern misunderstood what we wanted, whatever. So she calls them up again, no response, emails, nothing.

Two weeks later we get what is referred to around here as the "Letter." Capital "L" letter. The email is addressed to everyone high up at AMD, not even the gaming guys but the chip designers and the heads of departments. The PDF attachment is a rambling statement from Chris about how we're pushing him into something he doesn't think is necessary, he has a vision and that it's "too important" to be disrespected like this.

The decision was made to drop them from the show after that. Probably from our partnership as well, but that's above my head.
if this is true then loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

3.0 obviously up to his high standards.

:laffo:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wait wait wait, what? You're telling me CIG copy/pasted a Type 6, called it a "starter ship" and now they're selling it for 185 loving dollars?

Jesus Christ lmao

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hey guys, I'm playing the alpha version of a game made in CryEngine by CryTek and getting 75fps at 1440p right now. Shitizens will never have an experience anywhere near what I am currently having.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait wait wait, what? You're telling me CIG copy/pasted a Type 6, called it a "starter ship" and now they're selling it for 185 loving dollars?

Jesus Christ lmao

And it doesn't even let you start the game.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Regrettable posted:

Hey guys, I'm playing the alpha version of a game made in CryEngine by CryTek and getting 75fps at 1440p right now. Shitizens will never have an experience anywhere near what I am currently having.

OMG, stop talking about Kingdom Come! It's liek, such a lowly ambitious game of limited scope, just 16 square kilometres and armor and swords and poo poo, when Star Citizen gives you lazors and pew pew and spaaaaace.

Seriously tho, what Crytek developed game is in alpha atm? I thought they stopped that and just licensed their engine and stuff by this point?

ˇ Thank you!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

OMG, stop talking about Kingdom Come! It's liek, such a lowly ambitious game of limited scope, just 16 square kilometres and armor and swords and poo poo, when Star Citizen gives you lazors and pew pew and spaaaaace.

I'm talking about Hunt: Showdown :smug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Regrettable posted:

I'm talking about Hunt: Showdown :smug:

Is it good? I've been seriously eyeing it despite my deep loathing of "early access" poo poo.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Is it good? I've been seriously eyeing it despite my deep loathing of "early access" poo poo.

It's extremely good but they just introduced a memory leak with their optimization update today. It will hopefully be fixed by tomorrow.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus Christ lmao

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

In just the past week they've had multiple performance patches, rebalanced all of the enemies, and added a bunch of new player models, weapons, and traits.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus Christ lmao

It can also fire mining limpets*

*It doesn't actually fire mining limpets because it doesn't exist, but it will allegedly fire mining limpets

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 16, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

It looks like the Lego version of a Type 6

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
they need more tank varieties to protect their land plots imo

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
wait, what thread was this again? oh the space game one got it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr.PayDay posted:

„For me the enjoyment will come from the depth of the game. Yeah, in a cargo run I'll go in one direction for an extended period of time and it might be through a boring section of space. This is where the depth comes in. I don't plan to play solo, like ever. Always have a friend or two or at least an NPC or two helping me. I'll always have a multicrew ship since I can't sit still in a single seat. I need to get up and walk around.

Getting up and walking around your ship can results in a couple of gameplay features. For one you can go do a check on your systems and make sure everything is running correctly. Maybe check and manage your inventory. Pull up Mobiglass and look for a few missions with a solid payout. Maybe my Ursa has a flat in .y cargo bay and I need to repair the tire. Maybe I got some flair items in storage that I want to pull out and decorate my ship with. I could even pop up a comms video chat with a buddy in the same situation. I'd even spend some time in the living quarters making food and replenishing my hunger, I'd even booze up and fly my ship shitfaced. That's all just flying in space.

Then you start thinking about even more depth to the game. At any time you could be attacked or interdicted. Your choice to fight them or run. Maybe the ships aren't doing it for you, then you can land on a planet and live there for a bit. The game is going to have a procgen quest system, meaning it will create new missions out of thin air that will have detail and story. This means you can turn a space ship simulator into an FPS on the ground. Not to generalize it, but you can do anything on that planet you could in any game. Follow some type of storyline, shoot people, make alliances, open an Outpost, take an Outpost, go mining, drive a vehicle, race on a track, it goes on and on and on.

To sum it all up I think this game is going to be fun no matter what. The reason being is that it's a game where you can do anything. If you ever become bored just do something different. It covers pretty much every spectrum of gameplay.“

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Star Citizen: Getting up and walking around your ship can result in gameplay features

I think it sounds fun. :)

Once. :)

Which is the predominant problem with all of these fidelity bits everybody is focused on. Like fluff rooms that serve no purpose, a player will walk in them one time go “cool” and leave and never come back. Meanwhile that room gets endlessly rendered constantly and ends up costing everybody looking at that ship FPS and who knows what else.

It sounds super fun to be on a ship and start walking around. But how many times are you going to “check your systems” when you realize it doesn’t actually matter? The reality is people will just get bored and watch a YouTube video instead. Then they’ll get even more bored and just stop playing your game.

I’m not inventing the “people get bored when they do nothing for 20 minutes or more when watching a game do nothing” thing. It’s sort of natural. Now there will be people who may really dig that stuff, but they’re not going to be a majority and won’t be keeping the doors open.

People are expecting long rides because they think there will be fun things to do outside of driving the ship during these instances. And CIG has fed this belief too, with showing off games like pool tables and what not. Video editing equipment, movies for traveling, changing server blades, tweaking your system for performance, doing loving space farming ... the ideas here are endless.

It’s going to be in CIGs court to make their space travel gameplay an actual gameplay element where flying the space ship isn’t the whole game in space.

Do I think CIG can do it?

No, I don’t. :(

I think they’re going to be stuck just trying to hamfist all the promised gameplay actually involving space into is as much as they can, but the major focus will be on non-ship FPS sections where the map is a static level instead of something hard like a fast moving space ship. Even then I would be hard pressed to believe CIG is capable of delivering the level of non-combat experiences people will need to feel fulfilled with their video game space life.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Dooguk posted:

Remember those early trailers (proof of concept) made by Crytek. One of the guys on the Frontier forum, spotted that CIG tried to pass them off as gameplay vids.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/351480
Noticed this gem in that KS announcement:

quote:

In addition, the UEE has captured a Vanduul carrier ship and we're selling the contents on the open market! 300 Vanduul fighters, which will never be available on the legitimate market, are now for sale. If you want one in the game you're going to have to hunt, disable and capture it

**which will immediately despawn and vanish into the ether upon logging out of the game. They seemed to have forgotten that line...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus Christ lmao

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hahahaha that is straight up a Type 6. Like holy poo poo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That type-6 has a foreskin.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So... if CIG is parodying CIG now, does that mean we're supposed to start making a space game or something? I don't know what's supposed to happen when everything gets inverted like this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

So... if CIG is parodying CIG now, does that mean we're supposed to start making a space game or something? I don't know what's supposed to happen when everything gets inverted like this.

Now YOU are MoMa!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Now that we're in the mirror world, Derek Smart gets $180 million to make Line of Defense

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Abongination posted:

Just a legit reminder for people to call their parents.

I was reading this thread a long time ago when FYAD buddy first came with his "call your parents" routine.

Since then my mother was diagnosed with cancer and died within a month. Call your parents, they're not always gonna be there.

*edit - also star citizen is bad I guess

This is very sad, friend. I’m sorry for your loss. :(

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Start selling Kayak jpegs

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Old news, but this Kickstarter FAQ is amazing...

quote:

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Pixelate posted:

Old news, but this Kickstarter FAQ is amazing...

this is even funnier when you realise that most of the faithful now claim they were not working on the game for THAT ENTIRE TWO YEARS.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
You Derek Smart fanboys are delusional if you think that's a Type 6.

It's clearly a Lakon Keelback, checkmake goonies.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The actual limpet it releases is Chris Roberts into your wallet.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

You Derek Smart fanboys are delusional if you think that's a Type 6.

It's clearly a Lakon Keelback, checkmake goonies.

But does the Taipan authentically vibrate through the hull and kill the player? If not, I'll just keep playing SC.

edit for a picture of a taipan.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 16, 2018

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Speaking of space games, Elite: Dangerous is on sale for $7.50 on steam. An actual game. In space. For less money than a #1 from in n out

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Omniblivion posted:

Speaking of space games, Elite: Dangerous is on sale for $7.50 on steam. An actual game. In space. For less money than a #1 from in n out

I think you meant Star Citizen!

It's a good game. I'm glad I was a late adopter, but it is a great "chill out in space in your spaceship looking at cool stuff" game. And it has gameplay and stuff, too! And a persistent universe where you can have drop-in drop-out co-op and you can do mining and rescue and bounty hunting and piracy and smuggling and tourism and transport and mining and trade and war with an open-ended financial system that reacts to the thousands of players playing it and there are political factions that you can have real influence on with in-game consequences and you can land on planets and have a tank like in Mass Effect only anywhere you want and millions of stars many based on their actual known locations!

Man, I love Star Citizen!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Omniblivion posted:

It's still a space game so if you don't like those probably don't get it. But some of the new stuff goin on is cool. I just rescued a bunch of citizens from an explodey space station that got all buggered by aliens and it was p neat. I only hosed up my Python a little bit, so it was a great success!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

It's still a space game so if you don't like those probably don't get it. But some of the new stuff goin on is cool. I just rescued a bunch of citizens from an explodey space station that got all buggered by aliens and it was p neat. I only hosed up my Python a little bit, so it was a great success!

Did you help these citizens to get a refund ?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey, come over to the Ellen Degeneres thread, I'd like your opinion on something

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think the hamster likes that

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

i dont think the hamster likes that

There are only two certainties in life: death, and gettin' tonged

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm the bunk with a fish tank bedhead facing an open door to a bar.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zzr posted:

Did you help these citizens to get a refund ?

I helped them exchange their lovely burning space station for a lovely burning rescue ship. And then it turned out they were Independent instead of Fed so the rep bonus was worthless so I probably should have just let them burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

xoFcitcrA posted:

There are only two certainties in life: death, and gettin' tonged

I wonder what Kayak would do if I tonged him. Probably just stand there and look at me like I'm some kind of idiot.