Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Baxta posted:

But their auth server...

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

This random Derek Smart meltdown quickly explained:

:eng101:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

shouldn't the fart be in the winter pants instead of the coat?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

shouldn't the fart be in the winter pants instead of the coat?

Winter in Australia is rather warm, so it would probably require more information before it can be judged.

Or maybe they just don't like wearing pants, I dunno.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Winter in Australia is rather warm, so it would probably require more information before it can be judged.

Or maybe they just don't like wearing pants, I dunno.

StarCitizenFanSatOnToilet.jpg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mne nravitsya posted:

Yeah, sometimes we refer to this method of development as the “lightning strike”. It’s definitely the absolute worst way to do things and have any level of predictability for your game. Essentially you make a poo poo ton of hi-res art to wow the publishers and buy some time. Then, behind the scenes in the studio, designers are ripping their hair out, having nervous breakdowns, or quitting because they can’t find a way to shoe-horn design loops into finished art - and are being blamed for everything. And meanwhile art is screaming about not wanting to redo all their assets, so, design better figure this poo poo out with what they have.

All the while, the product director or EP is yelling at design that they better hurry up and figure this poo poo out, because they are now blocking the (too many too fast scaled) art team from moving forward on the schedule and the games phase gate dates are starting to slip, and the burn rate is hovering at 2-3+ million a month.No pressure lol

Why it’s called lightning strike is because on the rarest of occasions - the designers find something that suddenly feels really good and then the game is saved by that hail mary/lightning strike moment.

Perfect lightning strikes are ridiculously rare, and hence when you see studios shut down all the time: They most often went this route, and never got the magical bolt they were hoping would show up. Or, they hit a lightning strike early, had massive success, and could never figure out how to repeat it. Rovio comes to mind, along with a handful of other places that are trying to make a followup to a single smash hit, but have yet to repeat their original strike.

I'm going to say Chris had one, arguably two, lightning strikes: Wing Commander and arguably Starlancer (though how much he had to do with Starlancer is up to debate). Every game after that he made, with the exception of the Wing Commander games, turned out to be delayed messes. Hell, look at Freelancer, it only came out once Microsoft kicked him to the curb.

Fast forward to now, he tried the same poo poo he did back then, with shiny new graphics and poo poo, and look what happens. Same poo poo. He's flailing to have a lightning strike again, but it's not coming.

Also, I do want to give some faint praise among the damming. Arena Commander was a good idea. A small, limited area box to test the flight model, collision detection, damage effects, and weapons of the ships by the play(test)ers? Ok, that's actually a good idea. Done by everyone else, but it's the one good development idea they had for this entire giant shitshow.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Also, I do want to give some faint praise among the damming. Arena Commander was a good idea. A small, limited area box to test the flight model, collision detection, damage effects, and weapons of the ships by the play(test)ers? Ok, that's actually a good idea. Done by everyone else, but it's the one good development idea they had for this entire giant shitshow.

In theory, the little modules were supposed to be test platforms for the basic interactions and mechanics.

The Hangar was to expose the spaceship's non-flight interaction issues and put the visual design to the test.

Arena Commander was intended to be the isolated flight combat test bed.

Star Marine was intended to be FPS test bed, because with changes for space combat, assumptions were going to break some things.

ArcCorp social module was what should be the PTU at this point: Testing the players' interactions with the game world.

Crusader/PTU is just an advertising platform. Considering all the work that still needs to be done, the PTU shouldn't exist. The only reason it exists is to show "look how far we've come". And to find ways to prevent pgabz from clipping through the airlock.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I credit this to good management strategy—a lot of publishers or execs will get mega nervous when they aren’t seeing sizzle reel ready content in the first two years of development, so they will push the team into delivering polished mile stones well before they should be, this slows development even more when you are playtesting semi polished content and have to redo it or NOT redo it and duct tape a fix together something suboptimal and move onto the next milestone.

Overwatch’s development team clearly put the time into getting a good networking model together for a very complex shared game state before going hogwild on polish, this is hard to convince anyone to let you do in any software project without sympathetic or experienced management.

It's actually a perfect example of how crowd-funding is supposed to work. This community, particularly during the early years, would have eaten up any low-poly assets that showed off gameplay. Imagine players flying around in crude jet-shaped boxes, firing low-poly space bullets at each other while providing commentary on flight mechanics, game feel, etc. It would have been a perfect opportunity to focus on the core gameplay, and then once that was locked down you could upgrade the assets. This approach would also give players truly early access to their ships and make the development process more inclusive. Imagine walking into you hangar and seeing a blocky, untextured Cutlass and then later seeing things come together as the design is refined. The interior of larger ships could be easily transformed so that they're more fun to fight in, players could at least get a sense of how their ships would feel, and everyone gets a say on gameplay instead of reporting bugs. Meanwhile the core elements underneath, the stuff that actually drives the game and determines if it's successful, are locked down and matured. This also eliminates all the waste we've seen with the asset pipeline; developers no longer have to re-do each ship three, four times because the underlying technology or gameplay changes.

Of course "Chris Roberts" and "good management strategy" only end up in the same sentence as part of a joke so it's all wishful thinking. Just like Star Citizen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

iospace posted:

I'm going to say Chris had one, arguably two, lightning strikes: Wing Commander and arguably Starlancer (though how much he had to do with Starlancer is up to debate). Every game after that he made, with the exception of the Wing Commander games, turned out to be delayed messes. Hell, look at Freelancer, it only came out once Microsoft kicked him to the curb.

Fast forward to now, he tried the same poo poo he did back then, with shiny new graphics and poo poo, and look what happens. Same poo poo. He's flailing to have a lightning strike again, but it's not coming.

Make that one strike then: his involvement with Starlancer amounted to appearing on the box and failing to make any headway with Freelancer. He has an executive producer credit — i.e. he green-lit the project — and that's it.

The two *lancer:s were essentially a division-of-labour-cum-competition between the two brothers. Erin took on the simpler Wing Commander modernisation with a string of story-driven missions that Chris had built his reputation on. Meanwhile, Chris took on the more advanced Privateer modernisation (which, incidentally, had earlier been far more of an Erin product, and actually ended up a far more interesting and competent game than the base IP it was tacked on to) and, as we all know, hosed it up to the point of being thrown out of the industry completely.

Starlancer was released, on time and on budget (…ish); Freelancer was not — Chris wasted the time and financing on making WC the Movie happen, and on doing all the other stuff you mentioned that he is now repeating in his failure to produce SC. So yes, your original premise is accurate: he has only ever made one game (Wing Commander, setting aside the earlier BBC stuff like Strykers Run) and has either remade that game or failed to make the same thing happen again. Starlancer should not be added to that list because it wasn't one of his games… rather, it only explains why Erin was brought in to try to right the ship a couple of years into the project.

Bootcha posted:

Crusader/PTU is just an advertising platform. Considering all the work that still needs to be done, the PTU shouldn't exist. The only reason it exists is to show "look how far we've come". And to find ways to prevent pgabz from clipping through the airlock.

In a deeply ironic twist, this means its only useful purpose is the one that should have been covered by the other modules. :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 7, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bootcha posted:

Considering all the work that still needs to be done, the PTU shouldn't exist. The only reason it exists is to [...] find ways to prevent pgabz from clipping through the airlock.

:stare: They succeeded. But not in the way they were expecting.

I'm almost impressed they got these modules all working in one exe. Their regular competence would have me predicting several separate demos.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

:same:

Squadron 42 is CIG's priority once again, because their funding relies on it. They know Star Citizen needs at least 3 more years, and the crowdfunding will dry up enough long before it is ready; they need retail sales to survive their own development running-costs.

What amuses me most about Squadron 42 is that by almost every metric it's highly-probable to be rubbish:
  • Graphics by CryEngine = great
  • Story by Chris Roberts = bad
  • Broken flight model = bad
  • 15 minute flight times = bad
  • Janky first-person = bad
  • Tiny, barren moons = bad
  • Bland stations/towns = bad
  • Zero personality = bad
Compare all that to CoD:Infinite Warfare's great single-player campaign - which does all of the above really well - and Squadron 42 will get ruined, despite releasing years later. Poor reviews. Poor sales. No funding to finish Star Citizen.

CryTek's legal team having a crack at them is like a cavalry unit flanking the disorganised remains of a pinned, broken, starving army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLGwTggO8U&t=221s

:same:

The other part of the SQ42 fiasco is that anyone who was remotely interested in it, already bought it. And that's part of the money they have already raised. So once it is "released", and the reviews (especially from those who haven't drank the kool-aid) start coming out, it's going to be revealed to be pure and utter shite.

I mean, seriously, games like COD:IW, ME:A, SWBF et al have already done everything that SQ42 promised - and more. And THEY were not a success for the studios and publishers

The haste to release SQ42 is more about a check box on a promise sheet, as well as tax credit collateral, than it is about releasing a loving game that they expect to make money.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Awesome Fidelity posted:

This random Derek Smart meltdown quickly explained:

:eng101:

meltdown [removed]

:laffo:

It's amazing that these chucklefucks still don't get that NONE of this matters to me. The people who buy my games, good or bad, got a loving game.

They really ARE triggered that when all is said and done: Derek Smart Was Right

----------------

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Hey, looks like Star Citizen & Squadron 42 are both coming out this year...

ABC News posted:

The man who portrayed Winston Churchill on his way to a best actor win has several projects in the works or coming up.

First, "Hunter Killer," an action thriller starring Gerard Butler, is out later this month and centers around a kidnapped Russian president and the American mission to save him.

He's also in post-production for a film called "Mary," about "a family looking to start a charter boat business, buys a ship that holds terrifying secrets once out into isolated waters," according to IMDb.

But that's not all, Oldman will be voicing Admiral Bishop in two video games, "Squadron 42" and "Star Citizen," both out in 2018.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

G0RF posted:

They've been coming out this year, every year, since 2014!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

G0RF posted:

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/amp/GMA/Culture/2018-oscar-winners/story?id=53562886]

Hey, did that "Mary" synopsis say he "buys a ship"?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

G0RF posted:

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/amp/GMA/Culture/2018-oscar-winners/story?id=53562886]

Ahh - the old IMDB release-date doxx

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

G0RF posted:

ABC News posted:

The man who portrayed Winston Churchill on his way to a best actor win has several projects in the works or coming up.

First, "Hunter Killer," an action thriller starring Gerard Butler, is out later this month and centers around a kidnapped Russian president and the American mission to save him.

He's also in post-production for a film called "Mary," about "a family looking to start a charter boat business, buys a ship that holds terrifying secrets once out into isolated waters," according to IMDb.

But that's not all, Oldman will be voicing Admiral Bishop in two video games, "Squadron 42" and "Star Citizen," both out in 2018.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 7, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Golli posted:

Ahh - the old IMDB release-date doxx

:allears:

----------------

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Why are they doing quarterly releases anyway, haven't most developers released content as it is done? "Oh poo poo this chariot missed the deadline by a day, you'll see it in three months!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

Can we all agree that Mass Effect 2 was insanely good even if it didn't "really contribute" to the story? This is important to me.

Mass Effect 2's crown was only toppled by the Witcher 3, for me. I have yet to have a similar sci-fi experience.

The end was a bit pants, though.

Sunswipe posted:

Given that the story of Mass Effect was complete arse, I'd say ME2 not contributing to it is a major factor in why it's the best one.

It was a gaming The Empire Strikes Back.

VVV: All emotive words, all about belief and the nature of reality, that belief can reinforce reality, that he 'knows' Chris Roberts. This is the bargaining stage.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 7, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Well that's new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9zIDwjVx4

ps: The more they claim "it's never been done before", the more likely it is to come true. :allears:

----------------

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Hav posted:

Mass Effect 2's crown was only toppled by the Witcher 3, for me. I have yet to have a similar sci-fi experience.

The end was a bit pants, though.

It was a gaming The Empire Strikes Back.

first dragon age was pretty dope imo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Well that's new.

ps: The more they claim "it's never been done before", the more likely it is to come true. :allears:

Well I for one think Star Citizen has already been a resounding success if you go by the metric of 'Has this game provided you with fun' then the answer is a loud and clear HELL YES

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
dragon age: inquisition was p drat good

mass effect andromeda suffered from forgettable characters, a bland plot and mac walter's stupidly insane belief that you could destroy everything about the first two ME games that everyone loving loved and we'd be all be fine with that

lest the world forget that mac walters is a loving moron :speculate:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Well I for one think Star Citizen has already been a resounding success if you go by the metric of 'Has this game provided you with fun' then the answer is a loud and clear HELL YES
star citizen continues to be the funnest game no one actually plays

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I liked the gameplay in Andromeda and while she's no Shepard, I didn't dislike Sara Ryder.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

D_Smart posted:

0:40 - 'The More people who believe in Star Citizen, the better it will be.'

5:30 - 'How long will you believe in Star Citizen? Not forever. I updated my computer and now I'm upset.'

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the game also suffered from not being loving finished

there was like 20 plot points more interesting than the main story that will never get resolved because that franchise is dead until someone in a dozen years decides to kickstart a loving spiritual successor

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If Anthem doesn't kill Bioware (it probably will) then I bet they revisit the ME universe again.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
do we really want them to tho

at this point I'd probably rather play sq42

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also I get to visit wonderful yuba city next week for work and had no idea about it

besides being the first place in america to burn down a mosque, it's also home to this lovely mystery

quote:

On the night of February 24, 1978, a group of five young men from Yuba City, California, United States, all with mild mental or psychiatric issues, attended a college basketball game played at California State University, Chico. Afterwards, they stopped at a local market for snacks and drinks. None of them was seen alive again; one, Gary Mathias (born October 15, 1952[1]), has never been seen again.[2]

Several days later their Mercury Montego was found, abandoned, in a remote area of Plumas National Forest on a high mountain dirt road that was far out of their way back to Yuba City. Investigators could not, however, determine why it was abandoned as it could easily have been pushed out of the snowpack it was in, and was in good working order. At that time, no trace of the men was found.

After the snow melted, in June, four of the men's bodies were found, in and near a cabin used by backpackers as shelter deep in the forest, 20 miles (32 km) from the car. Only bones were left of the three bodies in the woods, a result of scavenging animals, but the one in the cabin, Ted Weiher, had apparently lived for as long as almost three months after the men were last seen, starving to death despite an ample supply of food and heating materials available in the cabin. He was missing his shoes, and investigators found Mathias' in the nearby woods, suggesting Mathias, too, survived for some time beyond the last night they were seen alive.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

I liked the gameplay in Andromeda and while she's no Shepard, I didn't dislike Sara Ryder.

I got a bugged winter planet so half the quests there would not start/complete.
Action wise it was fun. But the ending was way abrupt, I thought it was a mini boss. Then Game Over.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

If the equation is entertainment over money spent then I'm ZOMG DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR BETTER CALL UP THE CODE WHISPERER TO FIX THIS poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dragon age inquisition is the worst game ever made. From a budget to end result ratio it is incredible how it fails every single thing it attempts, all in the pursuit of making a single player skinner box mmo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
nah I'm pretty sure the worst game ever made is elite dangerous

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

Nah. The worst game is obviously LOD — Elite Dangerous is just the most evil and offensive to humanity, what with its predatory monetisation and horrible DLC and endless list of unfulfilled scam promises.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
its pretty sad that after 22 years in development elite dangerous is as bare bones as it is

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

It's not any worse than any other space trading game

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

TheAgent posted:

i heard people once say its Star Citizen, but that clearly cant be the worst game. IT TOOK 180 MIL TO MAKE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AutismVaccine posted:

i heard people once say its Star Citizen, but that clearly cant be the worst game. IT TOOK 180 MIL TO MAKE!
can we please keep discussion of star citizen to the star citizen thread, this is for bioware games and KCD

thanks