Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

In the stimpire, a gun's trigger is connected to the shooter's Master Series Electro Ball Crusher. It encourages accurate shooting, or wild bullet spraying in the case of fetishists.

Well that's in my amazon history now. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spacetoaster posted:

Well that's in my amazon history now. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/history

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

In the stimpire, a gun's trigger is connected to the shooter's Master Series Electro Ball Crusher. It encourages accurate shooting, or wild bullet spraying in the case of fetishists.
1 star not for smaller balled men.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

:thejoke:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hav posted:

Curt Schilling will be running for office soon.

You mean Peter Schilling, the real Major Tom

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I posted that link so you could remove it from your history, in case you didn't know you could.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MinorInconvenience posted:

Please understand that I'm not trying to defend anyone here. I just want to know if the goals that have been set for this project are feasible with current computing and networking technology to a reasonable person in the industry.

A simple game could get 1000 people in the same area, assuming the server is just communicating coordinates and doesn't require much latency.

Realtime 3D information? with speed? orientation? How about weapon firing? Not without a seriously heavy duty server, and I think even then a good consumer internet connection would bottleneck before 500 players.
Counter Strike and probably most source engine servers take 20 snapshot per second to get the responsiveness required for a high action game, doing that with 1000 players is not realistic with current architecture.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For anyone new, be sure to read the answered questions for the ball crusher, well at least for the first one.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kibner posted:

I posted that link so you could remove it from your history, in case you didn't know you could.

Why would he want to?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

They already can't keep commandos from clipping through drat near everything, now add collision detection for 1000 players, their ships, bullets, cargo containers full of hiding commandos, etc. This is potentially a huge computational bottleneck that CIG will definitely solve with their Top Men when they can't even get a door to function properly.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kibner posted:

You are. Too kind.

Here, have a thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Then toss in the 9:1 NPC to player ratio that have full subsumption along with personal lives and schedules.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

X-Ultron posted:

This is potentially a huge computational bottleneck
The computational turtleneck at the helm is even worse.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hav posted:

Curt Schilling will be running for office soon.

Curt Schilling's sad Senatorial campaign has gone completely silent after his death rally where he distributed tote bags and Washington state-grown apples to a crowd of twenty.

I am on every Republican mailing list here in the proud-ish state of Massachusetts and have not heard a peep about the Schilling campaign.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

You mean Peter Schilling, the real Major Tom

I know my irredeemable cunts, thank you.

No, Curt Schilling noted MMO entrepreneur and man that screwed Rhode Island.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/curt-schilling-senate-run-2018-229927

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/years-after-bankruptcy-curt-schilling-settles-rhode-island-gaming-loans/

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am on every Republican mailing list here in the proud-ish state of Massachusetts and have not heard a peep about the Schilling campaign.

I'd say that was a relief, but unless you use a full can of raid and break the shell, the cockroaches always come back.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
FYI Its super easy to write a phsyics engine that can effeciently handle collisons between objects moving at walking speeds and relativistic space flight speeds, in a multiplayer game, with 1000 concurrent users.

No one did yet because they lacked Chris's vision.

edit: also factor in testing for objects that range from human size to moon sized

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 24, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

FYI Its super easy to write a phsyics engine that can effeciently handle collisons between objects moving at walking speeds and relativistic space flight speeds, in a multiplayer game, with 1000 concurrent users.

No one did yet because they lacked Chris's vision.

I suspect Chris's vision is about as good as Ben's.

Ben fat blind

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

MinorInconvenience posted:

But this isn't quite accurate, correct? If I understand what Croberts is trying to do, they want to make it so that the 20 people on a ship do not directly interact with anything except the ship and themselves. Other ships in the area (with their own multiple crew members) will only receive updates about what the ship is doing, not the folks inside. Thus reducing server load and communications issues (or at least splitting it between clients and the server handling the inside the ship and clients and a server handling just the ships). Or am I missing something that either makes this technologically impossible or something that other games do, in fact, accomplish already?

This kind of instance inception probably exists sometime in the future along with realistic AI which coincidentally Chris also wants to harness for his game. I don't think either of these are possible with CryEngine.
Can you run two different maps at the same time and then kill everyone on map2 when ship is blown up on map1? Probably.
If characters jump out of the ship can you reliably put them on map1? Maybe with enough engineering.
Can you hull breach the ship and have players on map2 look out of the hole and wave to everyone on map1? Hell no. Not this decade.

What CIG has right now is a few different CryEngine maps dressed up to look like the beginnings of an MMO. The more they dress it up without building actual persistent universe features, the more believable Derek's assertion becomes about them knowingly running a scam.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SelenicMartian posted:

The computational turtleneck at the helm is even worse.

:five: someone give this guy a medal

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Have the rolling layoffs started yet?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

No, actually CIG is hiring people just to spite Derek. Derek Smart, job creator.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ask again next page

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

July (blog)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

This kind of instance inception probably exists sometime in the future along with realistic AI which coincidentally Chris also wants to harness for his game. I don't think either of these are possible with CryEngine.
Can you run two different maps at the same time and then kill everyone on map2 when ship is blown up on map1? Probably.
If characters jump out of the ship can you reliably put them on map1? Maybe with enough engineering.
Can you hull breach the ship and have players on map2 look out of the hole and wave to everyone on map1? Hell no. Not this decade.

What CIG has right now is a few different CryEngine maps dressed up to look like the beginnings of an MMO. The more they dress it up without building actual persistent universe features, the more believable Derek's assertion becomes about them knowingly running a scam.

Ok now run map1 on one server and map2 on a different server so we can get 1000 players going here. :smithcloud:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I like the cut of your jib

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Out of all the claims to challenge (and there is always at least one per day), this one actually has circumstantial evidence. 14 jobs posted on April 24th. That's 25% of the total jobs advertised at CIG. April 24th vacancies represent 50% of the overall posted Engineering jobs. That's a big spike one week after the DSmart prediction.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I've monitored your doings for years and can provide exhaustive proof of your creepiness

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I used to love cream soda when I was a kid, kind of tastes like poo poo nowadays

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Nicholas posted:

July (blog)

Was that the one that would 100% bring about legal action?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yep that's the one. Sorta like that iron clad new TOS.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's blog 3.0, we're waiting on the schedule for it.

bun tax

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 24, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Drunk Theory posted:

Yep that's the one. Sorta like that iron clad new TOS.

Oh cool. Yeah - I was recently checking on all the cases and legal action citing that ToS. Funny enough: I couldn't find any.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

That's blog 3.0, we're waiting on the schedule for it.

90 days.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh cool. Yeah - I was recently checking on all the cases and legal action citing that ToS. Funny enough: I couldn't find any.

Yah, CIG folded on that one right quick. Probably would have been more amusing if they would have tried to fight it out with people instead.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

ManofManyAliases posted:

My Terms of Service regarding refunds has never been stronger. In fact, there isn't one case where a person legally challenged my refund policy. My secret? Oh, you want to know, huh? Come closer.

Just give out refunds. To anyone. Can you believe it? It's loving brilliant.

Above spoken in David Mitchell voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

Yah, CIG folded on that one right quick. Probably would have been more amusing if they would have tried to fight it out with people instead.

They have a more ironclad one now. More ironclad than the last 'you've already accepted the contract neener neener' one, presumably.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG don't have the stomach to engage in any kind of legal action with anyone, first sign of legal things happening they suddenly get all generous and give back the money they don't own to the person who does own it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

The fact CIG doesn't enforce its TOS only proves they consider it as worthless as the rest of us do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard