Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Dunkel Tart :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Taintrunner posted:

They disabled collison on the clothing store guy because players kept pushing him out of the station WHAT

Well, you can't have too much of that emergent gameplay or you might throw up.

Which you will anyway.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:thurman:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Taintrunner posted:

They disabled collison on the clothing store guy because players kept pushing him out of the station WHAT

Yeah I did this but only ever got him to the door then he'd clip through me and rubber band back to his station, T posing all the way

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

wheres the loving delay report chris!?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

:mmmhmm:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

:five::five::five::five::five:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

As I had to explain to somebody once on a forum I help run "I didn't ban you because you were being critical, I banned you because you were being an unpleasant oval office and stinking up the place"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Strange. Their list of things you can't do in Elite seems to get shorter with every passing year...
:thunk:

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Spatial posted:

Strange. Their list of things you can't do in Elite seems to get shorter with every passing year...
:thunk:
you only think that because you don't understand game development or fetal alcohol syndrome

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I honestly don't fault him.

MoMA might be in the camp of 'true believer' for Star Citizen, but he isn't an rear end in a top hat, and he's been pretty fair and frank with the forum. Lethality is a dumb rear end in a top hat. Crymelion is a dumbasshole. MoMA is just a dude - A seemingly pretty nice dude! In return, SA hasn't really treated him with the same level of respect that he's given SA. Sure, MoMA's not a perfect dude, but as I said, he's been a decent poster on the other side of the fence. SA gets a hard-on every time something he says is even slightly wrong or untrue and instead of attempting to have a conversation about it - something MoMA seems at least somewhat willing to engage in - the forum just piles on him. I would stick to white noise as well under those circumstances.

So I have a request for the Thread: Be nicer to MoMA. Give him the benefit of the doubt by default. I'd argue MoMA seems reasonable, and as such, it's a matter of time before he's Beer 2.0.

To that end, I have a question for MoMA: CIG has delivered pretty much nothing that you'd hope they'd deliver by this time. This game isn't going anywhere and I really want to see you get a refund before it's too late. When are you going to get that refund? What's the trigger going to be?

This is a thing. :chloe:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

actually one year ago stat marine was still mia

so then, last year, they put out 2.6 sometime in...october? with star marine.

that's been the last update. there hasn't been a real update (besides bug fixes) to the PU in a long time. Nothing this year, for certain.

It's kinda surreal how much 3.0 has become the new Star Marine in every way.

Both hyped to the teeth with trailers and bleeding edge features. Both right around the corner for months. Both missing their launch windows whereafter backers grew restive and angry, leading to big rage parties on forums, with total silence ensuing for a half year after.

Then cautiously, after the fury had cooled, CIG started the rollout plan for a gutted, downsized facsimile that fell painfully short of the original pitch.

Oh well, that's more than they've managed for Squadron.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is this showing wtfsoreass rage quitting after being killed by beet?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

yes lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PC Gamer has a puff piece about LTI. Linked below:

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-star-cit...fb#comment-jump

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So I have a request for the Thread: Be nicer to MoMA. Give him the benefit of the doubt by default.
I'm gonna go with... No. No, I don't think I'll be doing that. :tipshat:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

watching this stream i've come to the conclusion anyone who has played star citizen and not gotten a refund for their "fleet" is beyond help

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

big nipples big life posted:

Oh, ha ha ha. I missed this when it happened.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:laffo:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

:five:

A vision of the future of Star Citizen in microcosm, if, somehow, it ever makes it to release..

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hahaha this stream, Beet keeps getting mysteriously killed by one ship.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Noice

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

oh also

have a budget
play to your strengths
know the best people to hire
don't question the people in key positions unless absolutely required

What if you have a producer/director/visionary/developer-with-golden-fingers who's in every key position??

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What if you have a producer/director/visionary/developer-with-golden-fingers who's in every key position??

Dump him out the window and hire someone with project management and software development experience.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think they forgot about the schedule report today

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Cao Ni Ma posted:

always good news for star citizen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They really need a schedule for the schedule report

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Have you saved the stream anywhere? Or at least a highlight reel?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

I mean they can get away with not showing something by saying "Oh we are really busy we cant do it this week" so why not try it with the schedule?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

They scheduled a meeting to put that on the schedule, but everyone missed it.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I enjoyed your stream Beet :)

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I don't know what's funnier: something called "social module" existing or people actually logged in there.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just dont get how this company runs itself. Realistically you dont expect things to change much from thursday afternoon till friday on the grand scale of things. You turn in your reports by team/section or whatever the day before and then you brief the boss on friday morning. If you MUST have every single team on the conference call or something then have the germany people come into the office an hour or two late and have them leave an hour or two later or have the LA people come in an hour or two early and have them leave an hour or two earlier. You get that done earlier in the morning, you digest the talking points and have the mook change the schedule report. It shouldn't take him that much since its just changing a few lines every week.

Its loving friday and the team has been in permanent crunch since about this time last year, nothing is going to be done today. loving get on with it and have them take the rest of the day off.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
How will selling UEC *actually* work?

Start with the basics. This post will contain maths, which I am bad at being good at, and speculation, which I am good at being bad at. So please, forgive me! But I've thought about this for a small while now. This is all fairly pointless but still cool to talk about.

We know CIG wants to sell UEC at launch, up to like, a given limit for each player per month. A sort of 'skip X amount of gameplay' thing if you need an advance on a new ship or something.

The trouble is, I'm thinking mathematically about it, and it's, weird. This is purely speculatory, but I'm interested to see ideas on how it might get handled. It basically comes down to the two metrics we currently know, and a third we have 'some hints at'. They are the current $ to UEC rate ($1 = 1,000 UEC), ship prices, and 'proposed in game prices'. Let's add in a fourth - insurance deductibles, which, I honestly presume, will be one of the biggest pulls for buying UEC, as to not lose a night's worth of progress. And, yes, we know that deductibles 'wear off' but if you propose that you're aching to get the ship back now, but don't have your funds... what do you do?

Now, add them all together, take a ship like, the Polaris. Sold at $750, which is about 750,000 UEC. That's an important number that we'll return to later. Now, we've 'heard' vaguely, it might be 20M UEC. Which is $20,000. Hear me out!

If we take the deductible to be about 10% of the ship (a very conservative estimate), that would mean a Polaris captain would be down 2M credits each time they lost their ship. Ouch. In current UEC conversion rates, that means if you wanted to try to flash your wallet for a Polaris (again?) that means you'd be spending, about $2,000 (or two Polarii and change) on getting a tenth of your ship back. Double ouch. Extreme example? Well, yes, but here's another less extreme one, which, still is.

The Sabre. $170 right now, so, 170K UEC. Or something like that. On CIG's price fixing sheet (which can be seen in the last two ATVs) eagle eyed folk may notice that while we can't read the numbers, we can still read decimal places. Approximating on the Sabre's position on the spreadsheet against the next most immediate decimal place change, I reckon it might be around 700K UEC, ish. Very close to the Polaris' 750K 1:1 UEC, right?

You can probably see where this is going - but the short of it is, a 10% deductible of just 75K UEC, not really a whole lot, in the current scheme is $75. A huge price for, well, even the Polaris. But this is the Sabre. It's a single seat fighter. And this is just for a 10% deductible - what about more? 25%? 50%?

So, naturally, it prevails that the $1-1,000UEC rate probably has to go when prices get bumped up. But what to? $1-10,000UEC sounds fairer, making it about $7.50 to get back your Sabre. But is that too much? The highest packages have 20,000 UEC, and there's a big premium between them and smaller ones. It also creates deeply problematic pricing problems like making a Sabre $75, much cheaper than we buy them for. There's a golden zone to be found, then. But, wew, there's quite a way to go.

Anyway, thoughts? Pick holes in my math too - what directions can this go?

kmagnet
Nov 3, 2014
in less pissy g4m3r pessimism news

anyone see the latest happy hour game dev where they make the solar system?
they didnt go touch the planets but i mean it was a kinda cool tool. the idea is solid. i can see where some delays come from considering they have to apparently build every tool because they chose the Fancy Engine not the sensible one. cool to look at tho.

E: wurds

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Great loving stream Beet.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

JugbandDude posted:

I don't know what's funnier: something called "social module" existing or people actually logged in there.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Thanks for the stream Beet.

I really, really don't get the purpose of the space shopping mall at the end. Even by CIGs standards this is a pointless tchotke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Thanks Beet for enduring this dumpster fire for our entertainment.

Edit: Cheers to Beer for punching his way to victory in the Battletech beta pre-stream.

Dootman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 29, 2017