Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwbYljNALI&t=1017s

Just remember: Star Citizen 3.0 features:
5 new landable planets
New moons, space stations, and asteroid belts
Trading
Cargo Transport
Piracy
"Mercenary"
Bounty Hunting
Diverse NPC Actions
Day And Night Cycles
Increased Mission Complexity
Economy Driven Missions
Item 2.0
StarNetwork 1.0
Subsumption 1.0
Mission 1.0

And they demo'd all of this in a live, totally unscripted gameplay preview in August of last year. So whatever they show at this new convention, after one full year of development, is guaranteed to have all of that stuff in it or they wouldn't be calling it 3.0, right?

No you see they INCREASED the scope of 3.0 because they made so much progress much faster than expected, which is why "new" 3.0 will contain much less content despite being a year late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
It makes perfect sense.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Warhawk109 posted:

Excellent avatar MoMA

needs more belt, otherwise :agreed:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this looks fun as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpmJVU8hwj8

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

They've somehow managed to make a flight model that's worse that Star Citizen's. The controls look really janky :negative:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also far cry 5 looks fuckin incredible

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I am SO FUCKIN HYPED for sandworm santa ball 3.0 let me tell you

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How cool would it be if Derek went to Gamescom and streamed the whole thing instead of just rapid-fire posting dumb loving tweets about how broken Sandi's relationship with Chris is and how he said Star Citizen was a scam a year after everyone else did.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Daztek posted:

do the lesnick challenge imo

If Pizza Hut still sells the Triple Threat, it isn't on their website. I think it might be gone :ohdear:

:rip: Lesnick Challenge

Colostomy Bag posted:

Watching Wing Commander the movie has a greater chance of making you blind.

Sitting in an area with about 85% coverage right now. I assume once it passes in the next few minutes the Gamescom booth will get fired up.

I poked a hole in a sheet of paper but it turns out I didn't need to. The sunlight coming through the leaves of a tree outside made all these little crescents, it was neat

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Also, the eclipse wasn't that cool.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sorry - out of town currently, so can't really play.

what would you be playing

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
i wonder what the development time for Battlefront II is and how it compares to the masterpiece that is Star Citizen still-in-alpha.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
They really missed out on the opportunity to make a one day sale of a .JPEG with LTI called the "Eclipse" that wouldn't be available again until the next total solar eclipse. That's an easy $100k.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

I poked a hole in a sheet of paper but it turns out I didn't need to. The sunlight coming through the leaves of a tree outside made all these little crescents, it was neat

Yeah, the crescent shadows were cool as hell. Hopefully Roberts has this ability.

And as a bonus, contrary to experts, staring at the sun I find myself not blin asee4 asduoinv ajlasden xcxlksae;;asdf

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

i wonder what the development time for Battlefront II is and how it compares to the masterpiece that is Star Citizen still-in-alpha.
Battlefront 2 started development a little before Battlefront 1 was released in November 2015.

The single player campaign was actually cut from Battlefront 1 to facilitate a release (and there supposedly was some push back from LA/Disney), but many early ideas and designs for the single player were reused for Battlefront 2.

If you are talking from a pure prototype to actual release, then a little under 3 years. This also includes over 8 studios and about 1,000 employees, give or take.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can also tell you that SC is an absolute mess to play, everything from the flight model to fighting feels and plays awful. Even walking and running feel like garbage.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

thatguy posted:

Also, the eclipse wasn't that cool.

SC has made even an amazing celestial event seem mediocre in comparison.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The weird thing about RSI is the backers are more than happy to see their money wasted- they send the studios donuts with Froot Loops and artisan pizzas and chocolate covered fruit on a stick and all kinds of bullshit overpriced food offerings.

CIG develops games like a cargo cult as the eminent Scruffpuff described earlier but the backers are more of a volcano cult- throwing whatever tribute they can muster into the infernal maw of the volcano, to be swallowed up and consumed and create no benefit to anything. Meanwhile their very religion dictates that it's just a matter of a few more Oregonian fruit baskets to achieve game development nirvana.

I'm coming to believe that a good sized chunk of SC backers aren't paying for the game at all. They are paying for a fantasy reality series about life in a kickass game development studio. (Well, everyone who backed is *paying* for that but there's a good chunk of people where *that's all they want*.) They want to be part of supporting the kind of games studio that you imagined you'd work at as a kid. There'd be cool arcade machines everywhere and it would be like living in a space ship and your cool genius friends would live the good life and go on vacations and just have fun and make games.

It's lysenkoism for game development. The environment makes the game. They think that if a game is made in fun conditions it will be a fun game. If a game is made with glamorous people, it will be glamorous. Things that look effortless got that way with effortless…effort. They want the creative process to be as cool and fun as the creative outcomes. They think that bad games come from bad publishers who get in the way of fun by cutting off funding and forcing people who would otherwise be doing to cool work in a free environment to work in a lovely boring environment where they release subpar crap with DLCs.

They're not mad about the door because I think they think that a cool door is an important part of a cool environment which is an important part of fostering a cool game.

The seeds of this show up in the first K/S video where Chris talks about wanting to prove something to big publishers and the world to make the game he wants to make the way he wants to make it. By turning publishers from one kind of business avenue to funding a game to some kind of evil entity, he's actively recruiting people with a chip on their shoulder about game development and games. We see the fruits of that in a lot of the posts. There's a lot of people in SC actively mad at the idea of consoles or the idea that people on consoles might play their game. What a weird thing to be mad about.

Then with the JPG-based income model, they're recruiting people who have trouble distinguishing between appearance and reality. Consider the hours and threads devotes to discussing which imaginary ship is better for which imaginary role. This is a group of people that regularly pits the promises of their project against the real, released properties of other projects and while triumphantly making their comparisons fail to mention that *only one of those things exists*. For them, SC dreams are maybe more real than actual products.

For this group of people that I am imagining, the current state of Star Citizen is far, far more satisfying than any released project could ever be. This is what they want, this is what they keep funding and this is what they're gonna get for a long, long time.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Quavers posted:

They've somehow managed to make a flight model that's worse that Star Citizen's. The controls look really janky :negative:

Looks like BF1, automatic coupled roll/yaw, which is kind of typical for consoles and janky compared to something you have control over all the axes but this is not what makes SC a janky piece of poo poo.

What makes SC so janky is the extreme acceleration/rotation combined with zero-order aimed gimbaled weapons which combine to turn ships (even huge ones) into 6dof shooter avatars for fps kiddies to play whack-a-mole with kbm complete with boost strafe dodge and sprint mechanics. Like basically every publisher does and exactly the opposite of what SC was supposed to be before they hit the 'too big to fail' mark ~50mil.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I can also tell you that SC is an absolute mess to play, everything from the flight model to fighting feels and plays awful. Even walking and running feel like garbage.

Are you trying to sway us away from pledging/donating/backing/investing/(third party derivative fund)/buying this product?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I may have lived under a rock...but has someone shopped Robert's head on Nixon?

If someone does this please do the Nixon tattoo on Roger Stone's greasy back

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/899683178906087427

:nallears:

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

doingitwrong posted:

I'm coming to believe that a good sized chunk of SC backers aren't paying for the game at all. They are paying for a fantasy reality series about life in a kickass game development studio. (Well, everyone who backed is *paying* for that but there's a good chunk of people where *that's all they want*.) They want to be part of supporting the kind of games studio that you imagined you'd work at as a kid. There'd be cool arcade machines everywhere and it would be like living in a space ship and your cool genius friends would live the good life and go on vacations and just have fun and make games.

It's lysenkoism for game development. The environment makes the game. They think that if a game is made in fun conditions it will be a fun game. If a game is made with glamorous people, it will be glamorous. Things that look effortless got that way with effortless…effort. They want the creative process to be as cool and fun as the creative outcomes. They think that bad games come from bad publishers who get in the way of fun by cutting off funding and forcing people who would otherwise be doing to cool work in a free environment to work in a lovely boring environment where they release subpar crap with DLCs.

They're not mad about the door because I think they think that a cool door is an important part of a cool environment which is an important part of fostering a cool game.

The seeds of this show up in the first K/S video where Chris talks about wanting to prove something to big publishers and the world to make the game he wants to make the way he wants to make it. By turning publishers from one kind of business avenue to funding a game to some kind of evil entity, he's actively recruiting people with a chip on their shoulder about game development and games. We see the fruits of that in a lot of the posts. There's a lot of people in SC actively mad at the idea of consoles or the idea that people on consoles might play their game. What a weird thing to be mad about.

Then with the JPG-based income model, they're recruiting people who have trouble distinguishing between appearance and reality. Consider the hours and threads devotes to discussing which imaginary ship is better for which imaginary role. This is a group of people that regularly pits the promises of their project against the real, released properties of other projects and while triumphantly making their comparisons fail to mention that *only one of those things exists*. For them, SC dreams are maybe more real than actual products.

For this group of people that I am imagining, the current state of Star Citizen is far, far more satisfying than any released project could ever be. This is what they want, this is what they keep funding and this is what they're gonna get for a long, long time.

Although you took a lot of lines to say one thing, the first part nails it. Crobbler knows that making your game with Luke Skywalker and Gary Parpman sells units and it's something "true nerds" will want to be a part of. Hell, it worked on SA people for years before reality set in.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

wtf is that

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you trying to sway us away from pledging/donating/backing/investing/(third party derivative fund)/buying this product?
Actually I'd say if you've laughed at Star Citizen for years or discussed how awful it is without actually playing it, go ahead and pledge for $45 and play with Beet and I sometime.

just trying to get into a loving party together is like setting up joystick drivers on a SoundBlaster 16

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo the new battlefield 1 expansion is out

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also I am going to go and play star marine with wtfo :D

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Actually I'd say if you've laughed at Star Citizen for years or discussed how awful it is without actually playing it, go ahead and pledge for $45 and play with Beet and I sometime.

just trying to get into a loving party together is like setting up joystick drivers on a SoundBlaster 16

IRQ 16

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

They are paying for a fantasy reality series about life in a kickass game development studio. (Well, everyone who backed is *paying* for that but there's a good chunk of people where *that's all they want*.) They want to be part of supporting the kind of games studio that you imagined you'd work at as a kid.

-snip-

Until seeing this hot take I never realized how uniquely qualified Sandi is for her role.

#IStandWithSandworm

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I think it's a cologne joke. CIG and their puns. Also their new ship is the 600igold spacepants variant or something

also WTFo is streaming SC. what happened to

Virtual Captain posted:

Should make a pretty funny VOD later:
I'm a dumbass for thinking 3.0 would be out in March
I'm not giving Star Citizen anymore publicity until 3.0 is out
CIG already choose the streamers they are sending to Gamescom/Citcon a long time ago
"There is a lot of smokescreen"
Not getting a refund "that money is gone" "I'm an adult"
Streaming any game but Star Citizen
Still doing podcast with BoredGamerUK
Game is always just around the corner, tired of it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

WTF(I'mNotPlayingSCUntil3.0)Osaurus is jumping back on the hype train, and is streaming SC again.

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

e;f:b

Catte Taxxe - My lord and master, sunbathing in his garden watchtower

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

Well friends I looked directly into the eclipse and now I'm blind

Should I watch Wing Commander to restore my eyesight y/n?

I think it only works if you believe enough in the rich life of Wing Commander. If you can muster that, absolutely!

Also I survived totality! :cheers:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
CIG's check must have cleared because all the people who mysteriously quit like twerk are back to doing SC things.

im only half kidding here wtf.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwbYljNALI&t=1017s

Just remember: Star Citizen 3.0 features:
5 new landable planets
New moons, space stations, and asteroid belts
Trading
Cargo Transport
Piracy
"Mercenary"
Bounty Hunting
Diverse NPC Actions
Day And Night Cycles
Increased Mission Complexity
Economy Driven Missions
Item 2.0
StarNetwork 1.0
Subsumption 1.0
Mission 1.0

And they demo'd all of this in a live, totally unscripted gameplay preview in August of last year. So whatever they show at this new convention, after one full year of development, is guaranteed to have all of that stuff in it or they wouldn't be calling it 3.0, right?

Yes. It's all there. We've been playing it all day today at the booth. Amazing stuff really.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

CIG's check must have cleared because all the people who mysteriously quit like twerk are back to doing SC things.

It's a miracle. :3

I bet they won't even mention what they said before! Money sure is nice isn't it? :)

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
lol hes literally denying he ever said he was gonna stop playing star citizen

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Yes. It's all there. We've been playing it all day today at the booth. Amazing stuff really.

I don't care about anything except Economy Driven Missions. So tell me how awesome they are.

Also StarNetwork 1.0 because I have no idea what a StarNetwork 1.0 is but let me tell you I am psyched for it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

How are the official spectrum threads trending these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

some of the most tone-deaf advertising in history lmao