Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Sabreseven posted:

You know, I was thinking earlier,

Even if Derek Smart hadn't written those blogs, even if he hadn't said a single solitary bad word about CIG or SC or any of it's other facets, even if he turned a blind eye to everything CR related, and I mean everything going right back to the day bouncing babythumb CR was born.

CIG would still be as poo poo as they are now, would still have never made a released game and would still have been in the same position they are in now, and SC would still be years away and crap.

It's funny how when you remove external factors, even if you remove Goons and any other sources of critical thinking that isn't gushing admiration towards CR, the one constant is that CR is a crap games developer who drags his employees down rather than raising them up (unless they are sposes/previous failbusiness associates/scammers/shills).

Also, while I've got it in my mind, if the above is untrue then DS + Goons + anyone else with critical thinking skills have managed to somehow, via nothing but opinion, managed to steer the course of CIG's business in ways I can't even imagine. :)

Had this been any other sane studio I would've said that Derek Smart's post would've made little to no impact on the development. Anyone with a halfway competent PR team knows you just don't engage with a situation like that.

That said, Crobberts' absolute poo poo-fit about The Escapist's posts and his meltdown letter (including choice words about Derek Smart) leads me to believe there is genuinely a part of him, however small, that feels the need to prove himself since that outburst. If anything, I get the impression that the Derek/Escapist debacle may have, perversely, helped push SC out of theory-crafting hell and into development hell instead. Sadly, total managerial incompetence, poor planning and a team way too lopsided towards .jpg production means that the push is ultimately wasted and what the backers got was, well, Gamescom 2017.

If none of this had happened CIG might well be in exactly the same place as it is now, but I have a suspicion that they would have just kept on treading water. So if anything, I think SC would have been even further behind than it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

Taking down FAU.

Running for President.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wo_xdl1UVw

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Running for President.

Who hasn't?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

D_Smart posted:

We just got word of a $30K refunder, and it was confirmed by two other people.

Where was this? On Discord?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

clifford says he is at over 40k in ships, plus being a massive weirdo he sends them gift baskets and poo poo all the time. I bet he's over 50k.

He is probably not joking when he says it's all disposable income, unlike most of the other backers trying to console themselves

I seem to remember from some of his twitter pictures it looks like he's an engineer or architect from the drawings he had scattered around

Doesn't make him any less broke-brained for giving that much money to Chris Roberts

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

EDIT: I see you asked specifically about the US thing...well, getting money from a debtor on the other side of the Atlantic is an administrative nightmare, especially when that debtor is trying to claim it's a wholly unconnected company. US and UK branches of multinational corporations often ruthlessly cut off the smaller branch and let it twist in the wind if they hit financial trouble. "Payroll claim? What payroll claim, this is Multinational Bastards US not Multinational Bastards UK, I have no idea what you're talking about!"

Extradition treaties don't cover anything like financial issues unless the source country makes a request and has prosecuted in abstentia, and it's frequently one-sided. I think a lot of Americans assume that their legal reach is a lot longer than it actually is.

I've been laughing off lawsuits since the internet gave people power to threaten other people. Thanks for that write up, Coutts will have their eye on the ball, especially given the _perceived_ value of whatever they can screw out of this.

Now why hasn't tencent pitched to RSI?

Spitballing, but what would it take for Chris to get away clean (again). Selling his share in the company?

The bar is quite low these days.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Rad Russian posted:

Their pre-rendered ship commercials are easy to do since they require 0 AI, 0 physics, and 0 gameplay mechanics. For CitizenCon they will simply do 30 mins of pre-rendered cutscenes to show off SQ42 with a couple spots where it drops you into space to fight some ships which they already have the capability to do.

I'm not sure why that would be hard for them to present with a wink wink "this is just a small taste of what's to come!" Then they vomit some BS powerpoint slides on 3.0 for the rest of the two hours. Shitizens are happy: "HAHA SUCK IT DEREK SQ42 EXISTS! WE JUST SAW IT!"

This is all SQ42 needed to be and it would've probably been a well-recieved and successful indie kickstarter.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 31, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

Had this been any other sane studio I would've said that Derek Smart's post would've made little to no impact on the development. Anyone with a halfway competent PR team knows you just don't engage with a situation like that.

That said, Crobberts' absolute poo poo-fit about The Escapist's posts and his meltdown letter (including choice words about Derek Smart) leads me to believe there is genuinely a part of him, however small, that feels the need to prove himself since that outburst. If anything, I get the impression that the Derek/Escapist debacle may have, perversely, helped push SC out of theory-crafting hell and into development hell instead. Sadly, total managerial incompetence, poor planning and a team way too lopsided towards .jpg production means that the push is ultimately wasted and what the backers got was, well, Gamescom 2017.

If none of this had happened CIG might well be in exactly the same place as it is now, but I have a suspicion that they would have just kept on treading water. So if anything, I think SC would have been even further behind than it is now.

And that's the really funny thing, Derek actually speeding up the dev time of SC. :D It's very plausible considering how it seemed to be just floundering before that infamous blog was penned.

I also like to think at the begining of all this silliness, Derek was part way through smashing a vending machine to pieces with his bare hands, but paused when SC popped up on the KS site. :)

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I love how, apart from the random change of direction, the only indication in this game that the ship took damage is that the wing icon disappeared from the hologram in the top right (and maybe a muted voice message).

In X-wing (1993), you would've heard a very loud and scary (from a child's perspective at least) crunch, accompanied by a loud, flashing alarm in the cockpit. Star Citizen still doesn't have proper audio cues; a technology developed 24 loving years ago.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Wuxi posted:

Ok, so I've wondered...

If Chris Roberts is a used car salesman pretending to be a director pretending to be a developer and Sandi Gardiner is Sandi Roberts pretending to not be Sandi Roberts pretending to be a Marine Biologist pretending to be the best marketing genius ever since she was a little girl pretending to be an actress...

Does Ortwinn actually have any qualifications for what he does or is he just pretending too? I mean, he does a lovely enough job, maybe he was a lawyers janitor for a few months?

Confused? You won't be, after this week's episode of...
Soap (cue intro theme).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

The bar is quite low these days.

Lower the bar, the lower the lawyer.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ponzi posted:

Confused? You won't be, after this week's episode of...
Soap (cue intro theme).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QejBwptSQZc

Got your eighties references covered, brosef.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Hav posted:

Best move in your 'spiritual advisor' with your wife and kids and start wearing turquoise.

I watched Icke speak once with Roger Hill. It's a fairly sweaty rant that doesn't actually engage with the audience in any way about how everyone is effectively just sleepwalking through life; that there's a global conspiracy to keep people away from the 'Truth', and something about reptilians that has metastasized over the years into the plot of 'V', only weirder. No eye contact, just a ranting delivery of the main points he's been producing since losing the Match of the Day gig after his knees gave out. Used to be a goalie for Coventry.

Well, at least he's making that break from reality work for him.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Hav posted:

Spitballing, but what would it take for Chris to get away clean (again). Selling his share in the company?

Sell his shares in the company. Sell something he can call his intellectual property or his likeness to the company (or "licence" it for regular payments in perpetuity, that's a classic). Have the company take out and pay for an indemnity insurance policy covering legal expenses arising out of his directorship, and sign a severance agreement with mutual non-disparagement provisions and a waiver of claims. Maybe even lend the company money and have it pay him interest at whatever rate he cares to set (that could be easily spun as injecting his own cash to keep the company afloat when in fact it's nothing of the sort).

Then resign all his directorships, take the list of backers and disappear into the night (that list alone would be worth millions). He'd never work again, and to be honest I think Chris's ego wouldn't let him take this route, but the option is on the table.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

I love how, apart from the random change of direction, the only indication in this game that the ship took damage is that the wing icon disappeared from the hologram in the top right (and maybe a muted voice message).

In X-wing (1993), you would've heard a very loud and scary (from a child's perspective at least) crunch, accompanied by a loud, flashing alarm in the cockpit. Star Citizen still doesn't have proper audio cues; a technology developed 24 loving years ago.

"DOINK!! Target friendly, alert crash close, DOINK!! alert port side crash close DOINK!!"

Seriously, what's with those 'doink' sounds? :D

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/903361676506013697

quote:

While it will still be some time before we see the Origin 600i in game, we hope you’re as excited as we are as the game expands with the further development of Origin ships in the Star Citizen universe.
Will there be more modules and if so, which can we expect?
No further modules are currently in the pipeline, but the beauty of a modular ship means that nothing is off the table in terms of expanding the 600i’s options down the line.

Can the Touring and Explorer modules be swapped in and out of a single 600i?
That is indeed the eventual plan, yes. Modules will be purchasable separately and will be swappable in game after that functionality exists.

Can the 600i be flown effectively solo?
The 600i is, fundamentally, a multi-crew ship. However, for its size is probably one of the most solo-friendly ships out of the box. By utilizing unmanned remote turrets and capable shields, a skilled pilot should be able to effectively pilot the 600i solo in most regards.

Will it have room enough to carry an 85x instead of the Origin-branded rover?
Until the ship is fully built and implemented this is difficult to say with complete certainty, but the 85x has a much larger footprint than a Rover so we consider this unlikely to fit. While ships smaller than the Rover may technically “fit,” the lift is designed purely for a ground vehicle, so maneuvering a ship in there might prove risky in terms of causing damage to both vessels.

How many beds, toilets and save seats for passengers does a 600i Touring have?
The 600i bridge has 3 seats for the pilot and crew members. The exploration module gives you a further 2 seats for the manned scanning stations. There is a dedicated captain’s quarters and beds for the remaining crew members in their quarters. Exact number of toilets is still to be determined, but you can probably expect at least 2 in the crew washroom and one in the captains quarters.

The brochure states its faster than most ships of its size and it states it has 4 TR2 thrusters. How is that achieved, compared to the constellations TR5 thrusters (according to ship stats) and the way lower weight of the constellation class?
This is a flaw of the current stats page and matrix, and will be remedied with the update coming online with the release of SC Alpha 3.0. The thrusters of both ships will most likely be in the same power band alongside updates to their mass. The current stats page does not support the internal design for a lot of items at present.

https://twitter.com/CptDux/status/900325576048771072

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The new spaceship you're selling is really loving expensive, especially compared to larger ships with better stats. Why is this?

"We are building a universe, and part of that means we can consider aspects that a standard game does not, such as value and desirability. When we look at vehicles in the real world, its apparent that more functionality does not always mean something is more expensive, and vice versa. In the Star Citizen universe, a sleek, luxury ship created by Origin will bring certain connotations with it, in the same way most people would find a sports coupé more desirable than a family sedan, despite the fact it has less seats and cup-holders."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MilesK posted:

The new spaceship you're selling is really loving expensive, especially compared to larger ships with better stats. Why is this?

"We are building a universe, and part of that means we can consider aspects that a standard game does not, such as value and desirability. When we look at vehicles in the real world, its apparent that more functionality does not always mean something is more expensive, and vice versa. In the Star Citizen universe, a sleek, luxury ship created by Origin will bring certain connotations with it, in the same way most people would find a sports coupé more desirable than a family sedan, despite the fact it has less seats and cup-holders."

"Because you stupid fuckfaces keep buying this poo poo lmao" would have been shorter...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Eh? Oh, that'll be why all the rich people are single.

LMAO!!!!!! Saying that while keeping a straight face is hard. :lol:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Loxbourne posted:

EDIT: I see you asked specifically about the US thing...well, getting money from a debtor on the other side of the Atlantic is an administrative nightmare, especially when that debtor is trying to claim it's a wholly unconnected company. US and UK branches of multinational corporations often ruthlessly cut off the smaller branch and let it twist in the wind if they hit financial trouble. "Payroll claim? What payroll claim, this is Multinational Bastards US not Multinational Bastards UK, I have no idea what you're talking about!"

So if Foundry 42 does go dark, even if the cause of the shutdown is the stoppage of payments from CIG-US, then the first warning sign will be all the staff who CIG wants to keep paying suddenly moving to the US, probably along with whatever remaining funds are in F42's accounts at that point. This could potentially apply vice-versa, but I can't see Chris shutting down his Hollywood Dream Studio under any circumstances.

This answers my question, thank you.

On CIG shuffling assets around to protect them from someone going after them - the only way I see this happening is if

1. CIG refuse to pay or are unable to pay a whale sized refund and the whale goes after them like Moby Dick

2. Coutts loan goes into default and Coutts go after them

If you had to take a guess...
Is the threat from whales going after them big enough to justify hiding assets or is there some other entity financing them in the background?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I flush all my money down the toilet because no one will gently caress me #600Reasons

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Thoatse posted:

You can read even more about it in his Jew lie blog

Shot, over.
Shot, out.
Splash, over.
Splash, out.

Just... drat... That line is beautiful.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

his nibs posted:

Or rather, his Benoirs

Y'all got it wrong. As if Ben would write memoirs focussed on himself rather than on his childhood hero whose light he briefly basked in. He's going to write it 99% about his boss, and it will be a veritable emotional rollercoaster, a real moving tour-de-force.

That Chris Benoir is going to leave a lot of people choked up.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Dear loving God :negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMfRFztrGk

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm laughing so hard at the idea of earnestly being asked how many toilets your sci-fi spaceship in you sci-fi spaceship game will have, and thinking the question matters enough to put on an official FAQ.

I feel like I need to establish a canon number of toilets for Stellaris ships now.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

SomethingJones posted:

1. CIG refuse to pay or are unable to pay a whale sized refund and the whale goes after them like Moby Dick

Bootcha and TheAgent's early material suggested CIG were actually quite scared of a whale stampede for a while. Before Derek exploded onto the scene the backers weren't quite as full-blown cultish, and there were plenty of early backers who were in deep and unhappy about the direction Star Citizen seemed to be taking. I'm hoping Bootcha's upcoming project talks a bit about this. We've also heard hints here and there through Derek that other creditors have taken CIG to court in the past, and something happened involving ex-producer Travis Day which we never really got to the bottom of, but sounded very ugly and acrimonious.

Don't forget the egos involved, either. The last company I saw use the tiny-company-network tactic used it simply because the CEO was such an arsehole she refused to ever pay out on a court judgment because no mere judge could tell her what to do. All that complex legal and finance work to shuffle assets around, spending tens of thousands in legal and accountancy fees, just because gently caress You, You Don't Get My Money Y'Hear?

To be quite frank I doubt they're worried about anything beyond making sure they can pay their own salaries for as long as possible. It's quite clear Chris and Sandi have become accustomed to a wealthy lifestyle, and they're not going to give that up when there are still peons to be sacked.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
If Chris and Sandi do in fact get divorced, hearing all about *infidelity* might be a refreshing change.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Wiz posted:

I'm laughing so hard at the idea of earnestly being asked how many toilets your sci-fi spaceship in you sci-fi spaceship game will have, and thinking the question matters enough to put on an official FAQ.

I feel like I need to establish a canon number of toilets for Stellaris ships now.

You should also specify how many plys the toilet paper has, so you know which are the luxury ships.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MilesK posted:

You should also specify how many plys the toilet paper has, so you know which are the luxury ships.

Good idea. Maybe I should add this to the ship designer, require the player to spend minerals on luxury toilets for crew comfort.

Then again, that would be an actual game mechanic, and we can't have those.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Sabreseven posted:

"DOINK!! Target friendly, alert crash close, DOINK!! alert port side crash close DOINK!!"

Seriously, what's with those 'doink' sounds? :D

Looking at it again, those alerts were warnings of an impending impact, not notices that an impact took place :psyduck:.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

I flush all my money down the toilet because no one will gently caress me #600Reasons

Yeah, we laugh but I bet the other single persons stuff he's flushing, is likely to be stuck to some 2 ply.

:D

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Toops posted:

Makin' poo poo is tough

This and also if you have ever worked 1 day in your life as a cog, or as lubricant, a lever, whatever in 'the machine' you quickly understand that even at the most prestigious companies in the world it's smokes and mirrors all the way down. They all have problems with management, owners, CEOs, workers, overtime, crunch, egos, marketing making poo poo up, salespeople over selling, nepotism, just loving everything. The larger it gets the more problems they have.

But despite all this they usually deliver something because they have deadlines and most of the time customers don't pay until the product or service is delivered. Citizens don't understand this for some reason, even their favorite company is a fantasy in their minds.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I've never been more confused than when I played LoD, I was just bewildered from start to finish. Where was I? What was I? What was I doing? I still have no idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFCmI544HI

GOTY

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wiz posted:

Let me guess, you think you are a game developer.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Loxbourne posted:

To be quite frank I doubt they're worried about anything beyond making sure they can pay their own salaries for as long as possible. It's quite clear Chris and Sandi have become accustomed to a wealthy lifestyle, and they're not going to give that up when there are still peons to be sacked.

So whalefear may be enough to justify shuffling lots of paperwork under the desk without invoking another source of finance. For me, the shuffling still sort of hints at it but I hadn't considered ego being behind it either like in yoyr example. You must get to meet lots of fun people...

And yes, giving up that level of lifestyle can be too much for most people who have become climatised to it. The brazen and shameless way they ask for money, especially after wheeling out that pile of poo poo at gamescon is one example of them clinging on to it.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

"Because you stupid fuckfaces keep buying this poo poo lmao" would have been shorter...
One of my buds traded a reclaimer for this new origin ship, right after admitting he thought gamescom was a complete disaster. I've given up on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Colostomy Bag posted:

Let me guess, you think you are a game developer.

I mean, I've never done a single day of mocapping, so how could I be?