Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with this whole thing but why did people keep contributing to this thing after it raised obscene amounts of money? Does any game need to cost $150 million? It reaches a point where it's obvious they're not going to spend all that money on the game, right?

Talk about pissing your money away

They created space ship jpegs for sad nerds to spend their mortgage money on.

In other words, :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If there ever was a Freelancer-style coup and Chris was kicked off the project I genuinely would consider getting back in. Not that such a thing is possible, but it really is clear from top to bottom that Chris Roberts is the exclusive reason that this project is so hosed.

But what would you be getting back in TO? theres no one else stupid enough out there to promise the fantasy bullshit game that Roberts did. That game cannot be made.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
The Sean Tracy help me video made it to Reddit...

Nothing wrong with a bit of staff recruitment :tif:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/606-Technical-Artist
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/70clly/sean_tracy_on_the_last_atv/

his nibs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 16, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

quote:

I backed the game 4 years ago (2013), and I still hold faith that it could be one of the greatest games of our generation.

There’s so much R&D they have to complete this game, it’s mind blowing. Granted yes, the feature creep has certainly delayed things…but the original vision for this game has always been wildly ambitious.

My hope isn’t lost yet. From all accounts, 3.0 should be awesome and even at this early stage, offer something that hasn’t been done before.

Four years this person has backed this game, and his following of its progress, sleazy marketing, failed promises, failed deadlines, disappointing buggy tech demo modules, and result sum of zero fun game, has brought him to "3.0 should be awesome, offer something that hasn't been done before".

They are either only going by videos and somehow shutting their brains during the truth bombs that occasionally make it into those (not the pure marketing ones, though), or they are already playing the game of their dreams in their mind.

I do like that even Polygon's article, that focused on the haters for some reason (...), got a few paragraphs in at the end about how hosed up is SC development and how much of a mockery to crowdfunding it has become with their ludicrous pledge packages.

It would be better if the latest articles were written based on a confirmed legit large refund, because now many will skip reading going by the "no story here" title. But for those who will read them, there is enough criticism in there about how this shitshow looks like today.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174957809?t=03h07m56s

:gary:

That wasn't me I was just skipping through looking for funny bugs like the pistol.

AP fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 16, 2017

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

lmao

also hey guys sorry I've hit the big leagues im moving on to the next corporate big boy, Wal-Mart

I will be processing fake refund receipts there, if you need help just send me a pm

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

This is a superb specimen. Dead wrong on every possible count. :downsbravo:

TheAgent posted:

what I've never understood is how a few nerd internet men could cause this game to fail

like saying "this game is bad, get your money back goddamn" is somehow going to cause the financial collapse of a multi-multi-million dollar company?

wtf guys, the only people that can fail star citizen are the loving idiots making it

Yeah, I still find this kind of thinking incredibly baffling. I expect shitizens to jump right to scapegoating goons, but it's just bizarre coming from journalists who are supposed to be neutral and reasonable. Has it occurred to no one oustside of SA that if a game had actually existed within a sane timeframe and offering some semblance of the promised features and content that refunds would be a non-issue? If a company can't survive people rightfully demanding the return of their money because the thing they thought they were paying for never materialized, then that's not the fault of the consumer.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174957809?t=03h07m56s

:gary:

That wasn't me I was just skipping through looking for funny bugs like the pistol.

FUDy buddies :argh:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Oh no, CIG have kidnapped James Hetfield and forced him to wear awful glasses! :ohdear:

EDIT: Ok, someone already did this joke.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 16, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Wise Learned Man posted:

Yeah, I still find this kind of thinking incredibly baffling. I expect shitizens to jump right to scapegoating goons, but it's just bizarre coming from journalists who are supposed to be neutral and reasonable. Has it occurred to no one oustside of SA that if a game had actually existed within a sane timeframe and offering some semblance of the promised features and content that refunds would be a non-issue? If a company can't survive people rightfully demanding the return of their money because the thing they thought they were paying for never materialized, then that's not the fault of the consumer.

We've talked about it in other iterations of the thread but reason and neutrality don't have a place in media where the writer(s) are writing about commercial goods and services. Video game journalists have to play nice and by the rules of the publishers and developers or else they lose out on early or timely access to the product, and no one wants to kick sand on one company's face at the risk of every other company going "Hey they're just trying to do their jobs gently caress you, leech!" or a grudge developing that follows from that company to another as staff move around. Throw in the propensity for video game journalists to get to know company spokespeople as regular contacts and you also get the development of friendship and sympathy towards those people more than say the consumers who are relying on them to actually give them "expert" advice on a subject.

That's why when some hack moron writes about the possibilities of refunds for Star Citizen he frames it in the view a company like CIG would want because he empathises more with the developers far more than people who have been rigorously hosed out of their money for years on end by a lying bunch of incompetent frauds. Then when it's too late to save anyone or fix anything these idiots will still try to show more empathy towards the people who will end up unemployed as a result of this instead of rightfully channeling the anger and rage of people who have been exploited and left with nothing. Even when history proves the "haters" right these mewling catastrophes hanging off of the bloated, rotting carcass of the video game industry will dare to feign ignorance about their own complicity in the continued farce that Star Citizen has become.

The whole thing is poo poo and articles like the Polygon one trying to conjure sympathy out of the ether to defend a company that has taken over 100 million dollars of people's money and produced nothing but a series of broken tech demos would be laughable except for the multitude of reasons why it's actually horrific. If someone like TheAgent has people talking to him, if Derek Smart has people talking to him, then the only way I'm sure video game journalists couldn't know about the bullshit going on with Star Citizen is if they were willfully sticking their heads in the sand whenever it looked like someone was going to mention working for Chris Roberts. To moralise about a few photoshops when they've been acting as cheerleaders for this poo poo-show is beyond the pale.

There are actual, real victims in this. They are not video game developers who are unable to make doors work that might lose their jobs because they can't actually make the product they claimed they could and people want their loving money back.

Dickheads.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Wise Learned Man posted:

This is a superb specimen. Dead wrong on every possible count. :downsbravo:

Journalists? C'mon now, the game making and game reporting industry are incestuous as gently caress. If you have a friend working on a game, it's softball articles.

Let's not call people journalists who haven't earned that title.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 16, 2017

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, I read very little internet news—let alone gaming news—but I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that Polygon was supposed to be fairly well-regarded.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Journalists? C'mon now, the game making and game reporting industry are incestuous as gently caress. If you have a friend working on a game, it's softball articles.

Fair enough. :shobon:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Polygon have like one or two guys that are well-regarded and the rest of them are so legendarily craptacular that their video review of Doom looked like it was being played by someone who had literally never held a controller before in their life.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

chochmah posted:

From the last AtV while the guy on the right explains how you only have to pull on a thread to create a bugfixing-cascade.

Hahahahahaha

get wrecked, get loving wrecked you idiot hellmade bitches, this bed you made is not worthy of sleeping in and now you have to stare at the ceiling in eternal wakefulness as the problems endlessly swirl about

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't why it's taken so long to dawn on me, but isn't Erin a woman's name?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

BTW Tophat, sent you a request.

I don't see it dude. Again, the username is MisterTophat, hashtag 2622

I don't understand Blizzard junk half the time

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

G0RF posted:

Isn't it interesting to listen to Erin in that Burndown, though. The ad hoc panic-scramble that has typified their Game Dev process for years is manifestly obvious from his bizarre pep talk with the befuddled LA Devs.

From ~8:48, that baldy dev certainly seems to have some questions about what Erin is proposing.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Lladre posted:

This week, the team made significant strides towards getting Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 in the hands of the Evocati. The Devs did a great job tracking down and smashing bugs, while internal reviews done by directors led to a decision that restructured the team’s focus onto core player loops so we could get 3.0 into the hands of Evocati testers much sooner. These factors led to a dramatic drop in our must-fix issues. For further details, be sure to check out our updated production schedule report

"core player loops"

They are so reading this thread.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Sunswipe posted:

I don't why it's taken so long to dawn on me, but isn't Erin a woman's name?

he sexually identifies as Starfarer, so technically it's a ship's name.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sillybones posted:

"core player loops"

They are so reading this thread.

They're talking about the refund process

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

chochmah posted:

From the last AtV while the guy on the right explains how you only have to pull on a thread to create a bugfixing-cascade.

Who is this guy?

Is it possible to be introduced to all the main characters in this comedy show please?

Some of us only know the lead actors, Croberst/Sandi/Mr Smart etc...

Is there an entry on IMDB?

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

reverend crabhands posted:

Who is this guy?

Is it possible to be introduced to all the main characters in this comedy show please?

Some of us only know the lead actors, Croberst/Sandi/Mr Smart etc...

Yes. A parody title sequence with names and such would be brilliant. I wish I had the time and the knowledge of who's who/clips to do it.

Blaegis1
Jul 13, 2016

TheAgent posted:

what I've never understood is how a few nerd internet men could cause this game to fail

like saying "this game is bad, get your money back goddamn" is somehow going to cause the financial collapse of a multi-multi-million dollar company?

wtf guys, the only people that can fail star citizen are the loving idiots making it

A bit of off-point, but CIG really isn't a multi-million dollar company. Their turnover is what, under 30 mil per year? Compare that to, say, Supercell who grossed 2,1 billion EUR in 2016. With 144 staff, I might add. CIG is a hobby project.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Blaegis1 posted:

A bit of off-point, but CIG really isn't a multi-million dollar company. Their turnover is what, under 30 mil per year? Compare that to, say, Supercell who grossed 2,1 billion EUR in 2016. With 144 staff, I might add. CIG is a hobby project.

Yes but CIG's money is 4 times as good as other money you see.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

A more accurate term would be "useful idiots"

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

So Erin 'The competent one of the Brothers' Roberts hot take on bug-fixing and dev is 'Why don't we try fixing things one at a time?'

Heady stuff.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

zcrow posted:

Yes. A parody title sequence with names and such would be brilliant. I wish I had the time and the knowledge of who's who/clips to do it.
A couple years ago I was actually making a Full House intro with the team where the theme song gets progressively slower as it goes on. I don't think I saved the project though unfortunately. I remember having a really good scene for Chris where he's reading a question and then he looks up at the camera and smiles like an idiot.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You haters and your entire community dedicated to helping people pull as much money as they can out of the project as quickly as possible

with your hateful imagery depicting members of the Star Citizen team

you're frankly disgusting

:colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You haters and your entire community dedicated to helping people pull as much money as they can out of the project as quickly as possible

I will e-shame you

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I will e-shame you

After all, cancelling a pre-order is one of these extremely damaging things that threaten to destroy the Game industry, together with second-hand sales and r***nds

do u have no honor in u

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

thatguy posted:

A couple years ago I was actually making a Full House intro with the team where the theme song gets progressively slower as it goes on. I don't think I saved the project though unfortunately. I remember having a really good scene for Chris where he's reading a question and then he looks up at the camera and smiles like an idiot.

I think Family Matters would be a better fit.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Seriously though that guy's in serious need of a outragectomy

e:

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 16, 2017

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

BeigeJacket posted:

So Erin 'The competent one of the Brothers' Roberts hot take on bug-fixing and dev is 'Why don't we try fixing things one at a time?'

Heady stuff.

This is after ground-breaking concepts such as "Maybe we should only patch the files that need to be patched instead of reuploading the whole game each time we update the version" or "Maybe we should start working on the netcode for our MMO" (after 4 years' development time). Truly these people are managerial geniuses.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

zcrow posted:

Too Many Cooks, except it's Too Many Parps

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MFW when I see /r/starcitizen_refunds :barf:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

skaboomizzy posted:

Too Many Cooks, except it's Too Many Parps

And the murderer is Derek Smart.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Latin Pheonix posted:

Maybe we should start working on the netcode for our MMO" (after 4 years' development time).

They've been very quiet on the netcode haven't they?

Star Citizen Kickstarter FAQ posted:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
At first I thought Lego games were great then quickly found they were :regd08: and hey, thanks Erin for letting me know why they were so generic.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It just needs a little Lionel Hutz magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

BeigeJacket posted:

They've been very quiet on the netcode haven't they?

They're taking the Sirius Cybernetics approach: the fundamental design flaws will be completely hidden by the superficial design flaws.