Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

lmao

CIG Jobs News Jobs News Jobs News

The total vacancies went from 68 to 69 overnight. I can't see what's changed but possibly they've re-advertised a facial tech role for the Derby office that's dated Jan 2017, it's the only thing there that I think wasn't there yesterday, I could be totally wrong about this. I'm screencapping them from now on.

Some of the vacancies are already filled yet still listed, you can tell this by the pixels and also by searching 'Cloud Imperium' on LinkedIn. Many CIG employees have their accounts set to private and there's a also heck of a lot of them who started in Jan this year. I'm going to track it all as best I can and try and get a feel for what's happening and what's changing week on week, because I'm an OCD weirdo gently caress and I really, really want to know.

I'm following this closely because of something I heard second/third hand on the grapevine (which is 70% accurate) and because the funding is going down, there's no question it's going down, and it ain't going up again. I strongly suspect they don't have anywhere near 400 staff on the payroll, I don't think it's even half that. 400 staff and they are advertising for a medium sized studio's worth of devs and artists? Bullshit. Where's 400 CIG members on LinkedIn, they simply aren't there.

The more people who leave the more of a scam it will become - because an actual playable build gets further and further away. And lmao if they think anyone with 5 year's experience is going to move country to fill that senior role in Frankfurt.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Well it has at least attracted one Smart to the game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I feel like waiting so long for a product you paid for that you die and your children take over is some kind of statement about capitalism
Capitalism reverting to serfdom maybe.

But if you told me these people were happy to live on land owned by Roberts and eke out a miserable existence in the service of his dream I wouldn't be surprised.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lol look at those casuals that are paying for that 5% ROF increase on their lasergun, the honorable CIG would never let players in their game buy unfair advantages over others because they are not a filthy publisher.

Now watch me kill other players with my 2500$ spaceship that they can never get.

EDIT: "It's not P2W! it's not P2W!!" i continue to insist as i slowly expand and turn into a javelin.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Hav posted:

- Moons

Meanwhile, kickstarter is so mid-2000s and it's over. https://d.rip/ is where the cool kids is are.

- We're having better sex than you. Give us money.

So, other than their site being nothing but mealy-mouthed venture capitalist fellatio, it's shittier patreon?

Star Citizen has become contagious. God help us all.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a philosophical post / rant.

How does one "Win" in Star Citizen? By pledging more? Does that make a player "win"? Does having a bigger ship make the player win? I mean look at Elite, players have all the ships and yet the guys there are so content starved that they're begging Frontier to release more content.

How is it even "Win" in Star Citizen? Whats the purpose of even playing when the challenge of getting a ship is already removed before the game begins.

Where does the challenge lie? Whats the purpose to even bother? It boggles the mind because advancement is pledging more, going up the ship count and ship size. There's no sparks of ingenuity in level design. Where's the gameplay? If we're just shooting each other, then its rather dumb. Where is trading, piracy, bounty hunting? How do you objectively go about these activities and the required internal gameplay systems that power it?

Where are the would-be beautiful spacesports of Banu and Xi'an? How do their cities look like? I mean really, aside from several pieces of concept art and half a Xi'An spaceship (it was supposed to sit 2), and an imaginary banu merchantman tradeship, everything else seemingly doesn't exist 4 years later.

So it all boils down to the pledge store, the challenge is buying more ships by working in real life to earn more money. The challenge is to collect all these JPEGs to ensure that you're "ready" when the "real challenge" comes. It's chasing the unicorn, its the idea of getting prepared for something that will never come.

This is Star Citizen, and beyond sunk cost fallacy, "players" - if you can even call them that - will always pledge more because that's what will secure their "Win".

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

no_recall posted:

Here's a philosophical post / rant.

How does one "Win" in Star Citizen? By pledging more? Does that make a player "win"? Does having a bigger ship make the player win? I mean look at Elite, players have all the ships and yet the guys there are so content starved that they're begging Frontier to release more content.

How is it even "Win" in Star Citizen? Whats the purpose of even playing when the challenge of getting a ship is already removed before the game begins.

Where does the challenge lie? Whats the purpose to even bother? It boggles the mind because advancement is pledging more, going up the ship count and ship size. There's no sparks of ingenuity in level design. Where's the gameplay? If we're just shooting each other, then its rather dumb. Where is trading, piracy, bounty hunting? How do you objectively go about these activities and the required internal gameplay systems that power it?

Where are the would-be beautiful spacesports of Banu and Xi'an? How do their cities look like? I mean really, aside from several pieces of concept art and half a Xi'An spaceship (it was supposed to sit 2), and an imaginary banu merchantman tradeship, everything else seemingly doesn't exist 4 years later.

So it all boils down to the pledge store, the challenge is buying more ships by working in real life to earn more money. The challenge is to collect all these JPEGs to ensure that you're "ready" when the "real challenge" comes. It's chasing the unicorn, its the idea of getting prepared for something that will never come.

This is Star Citizen, and beyond sunk cost fallacy, "players" - if you can even call them that - will always pledge more because that's what will secure their "Win".

Yeah. Pledging is the 'game'.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
jfc

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Because twice is better than once.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

The Titanic posted:

If I recall, Skippy ended up being up in the 1970’s to early early 1980’s and it was used to imply somebody did something stupid and are probably retarded in some way. It was used before people could start being more vulgar on “prime time” TV.

Australian version, started earlier but certainly had reruns through that period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByob-5pPEs

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Don't use Star Citizen as a bank, looking at the Twitch views you'll see it has a very very low interest rate

:five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

radd posted:

Australian version, started earlier but certainly had reruns through that period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByob-5pPEs

I've always thought the shitizens calling Derek Skippy was hilarious, when Skippy was jumping all over the place and making noise he was actually trying to tell you that some idiot was trapped down a well or something.

He had other skills too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXOTFvVWkQ&t=66s

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

uh

hm

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the star citizen final boss is the debt collector company that hauls your possessions into a truck. if you can escape to dreams, you win!!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

No pledges anymore, only dreams.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

That mouth looks familiar. What was that from?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

:randstare:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hobold posted:

That mouth looks familiar. What was that from?

Sandi Gardiner/Mae Demming, actress twitterian.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Zzr posted:

Sandi Gardiner/Mae Demming, actress twittos.

The mouth. Not the rest of the abomination.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sup guys.

I forgot to post about this here when it was relevant because it was close to gamescom, but considering current thread level, I think it's a good time too.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10730

quote:

It's impossible to talk about Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar without first mentioning some of its particularities. The game I played this month was once a legendary vaporware, that put Duke Nukem Forever to shame. Its first release date was "Fall 1997", as announced back on the Computer Gaming World magazine:

All in all, it's roughly on par with what I expect from Star Citizen (20 years late, buggy pile of poo poo), and the real content is the internet drama.

e: Also, user was banned from the game for that review :laffo:

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 16, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Decrepus posted:

How many people making fun of Star Citizen also made fun of Bit Coin? Hahaha later goonies

Depends on the conversion rate

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Warhawk109 posted:

Damnit, why didn’t I think of that before?

Maybe she doesn't have any interns to feed off of anymore?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Truga posted:

Sup guys.

I forgot to post about this here when it was relevant because it was close to gamescom, but considering current thread level, I think it's a good time too.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10730

All in all, it's roughly on par with what I expect from Star Citizen (20 years late, buggy pile of poo poo), and the real content is the internet drama.

e: Also, user was banned from the game for that review :laffo:

This is a good post and the least creepy thing in the last 2 pages

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

WTF is this 'wait until 3.0 drops' poo poo, 3.0 is almost one year late. If I had some connection to 3.0, I would hope that this fiasco gets forgotten in history.

Toblakai fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 16, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
They've been doing the wait til 2.7/3.0 drops since like april 2016. Always acting like its a month away to new marks

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Stresstest lag video has been rehosted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69d2ql

Man, CIG's takedowns are on the ball lately.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

Man, CIG's takedowns are on the ball lately.

Well, they do read the thread after all :wave:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hobold posted:

The mouth. Not the rest of the abomination.

it's from an anime

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Truga posted:

it's from an anime

as we know anime is worse than superaidscancer, and furthermore

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wuxi posted:

Gremlich may very well be the dumbest person I've ever seen

What does he look like?

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's Doofy from that movie. And probably a serial killer.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Make a video with his tweets in it. We all laugh, he'll have a meltdown.

I'm impressed that he's filling 280 characters with no punctuation. That takes some doing.

SomethingJones posted:

400 staff and they are advertising for a medium sized studio's worth of devs and artists? Bullshit. Where's 400 CIG members on LinkedIn, they simply aren't there.

This is the question I've been asking for a while. I simply don't see enough room for 400, so they have to be counting everyone + dog.

Zest posted:

So, other than their site being nothing but mealy-mouthed venture capitalist fellatio, it's shittier patreon?

Geav munny.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 16, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

'Hunting' Goons? We tend to advertise.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Sean Tracy, popping in with an Intel drone for some good old-fashion tag-team turbo-schlepping on a Newegg Infomercial livestream...

Listen in amazement as Sean answers the “What is Star Citizen?” question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblLBI33Uvw&t=46m2s

quote:

”So! Star Citizen’s huge — it’s an independent game being developed purely through crowdfunding...”

(And massive loans secured via rights to core IP with a bank repeatedly censured and fined for facilitating money-laundering operations by unsavory parties...)

quote:

“Um — so there’s no publishers involved...”

(And therefore no oversight, no accountability for financial waste or project mismanagement, no need to adhere to delivery schedules, and absolutely no external constraints on the reckless impulses of our deluded leadership team...)

quote:

”This is all through the brainchild of Chris Roberts who was one of the creators, uh — one of the creators THE Creator of Wing Commander, one of the most popular space sims that’s ever been, really...”

(And by that I mean it was not actually a Space Sim at all, just a dorky, cornball dogfighting game from over a quarter of a century ago...)

quote:

”Um — so Star Citizen itself is an epic first-person experience and you exist within a Universe that has hundreds of systems* with just as many planets**. And these planets can have cities on them***, they can have wildlife on them****, they can just be barren rocks, you can build outposts*****! You can explore! You can battle other NPCs!****** You can battle other players. You can be in a multiplayer ship. You can be in a single player ship. So basically it’s a sandbox universe. We give you the tools and it’s up to the players to basically play how they want.*******

* Technically, it has a fraction of one system playable today, with aims for a bigger fraction of one if/when its next nearly one year late (pre)Alpha patch comes out.

** Actually, it has one planet presently and hopes to add its first few moons in its aforementioned ultra-late (pre)Alpha patch maybe sometime next year.

*** Those planets don’t currently exist in game.

**** The non-existent planets do not have wildlife and the game doesn’t even yet have functional A.I. after 5 years. You can get some little fish in a tank, though. Happy hunting!

***** You cannot build outposts on a non-existent planet in a game that hasn’t yet given players outpost-building mechanics or places to use them.

****** Barely.

******* If by “sandbox universe” you mean one with no planets, moons, wildlife, or outposts in a space sim with half-baked flight models, unkillable bugs, unstable servers and choke-prone networking, and a smattering of NPCs with non-functional A.I., then sure... Why not?

I know most everyone is numb to it at this point but I will never not be amazed when hearing Chris, Sean, Lando or anyone else go on camera and willfully, brazenly, shamelessly lie about what Star Citizen is. An enumeration of wildly exaggerated aspirations for far away hopeful features is exactly that and exactly no more than that. Just because Chris Roberts is pathologically inclined to WishThink doesn’t mean it’s okay to go on camera and willfully conflate your most ambitious future hopes and feature promises with the embryonic and troubled present reality you can deliver to players today.

“I mean this is some shameful poo poo.”

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 16, 2017

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

"For those who chose to spend that amount... I'm perfectly fine paying the standard amount for a game and having fun the way I want to and earn in game credit to buy another spacecraft."

Doesnt matter how long it takes to get a new one. Defo no P2W.
When all those threads and posts stop appearing, we know that CIG doesnt pay all the marketing companies any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

I know most everyone is numb to it at this point but I will never not be amazed when hearing Chris, Sean, Lando or anyone else go on camera and willfully, brazenly, shamelessly lie about what Star Citizen is. An enumeration of wildly exaggerated aspirations for far away hopeful features is exactly that and exactly no more than that. Just because Chris Roberts is pathologically inclined to WishThink doesn’t mean it’s okay to go on camera and willfully conflate your most ambitious future hopes and feature promises with the embryonic and troubled present reality you can deliver to players today.

“I mean this is some shameful poo poo.”

I'm just sad that Douglas Adams isn't around to see some of this poo poo.