Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Also, Star Citizen: Loads of crappy money.

Edit: Yellowbird tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg

Anyone who's unimpressed, if you've ever played a racing game with a rear engine rear wheel drive car, and you keep spinning out, you'll understand.

It's called the widowmaker, for a reason.

XK fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

tooterfish posted:

In the time CIG took to not make a videogame, Boston Dynamics made a robot that can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I

Boston Dynamics 2017 ^^

Boston Dynamics Sept *2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbZrQp-HOk

*Chris and Sandi Roberts just gave birth to a new baby Star Citizen

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
moma are you sad r/ds is shut down?

I'm kinda sad I wanted to have fun finally posting there after the RSI website goes offline.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Krycek posted:

Dear god, we're hosed! hosed, I tell ya!
They're already turning on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng&t=129s

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hey guys, let's play a video game this weekend. Give me a second though, my tax attorney has to run the financials first.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Hav posted:

I think this is your MVP;

'Drownin' might never make it.

MOONS

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty excited for 3.0 and can't wait till summer when it should hit PTU.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AP posted:

I'm pretty excited for 3.0 and can't wait till summer when it should hit PTU.

summer of what year?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

a p. good Beck album, imo

Midnite Vulture is my favorite.

Toops fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 17, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Golli posted:

He got a promotion, I guess.

Darn it son, I was expecting to get that reaction from Toast (who is MoMA) himself. Now you spoiled the fun. How much you in for friend?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Mirificus posted:

[quote]
CIG is further along than I imagined, that's why I believe Xmas for the 3.0 ALPHA released to the Player Test Universe (PTU) (that would be to us). As an older backer, I don't care that it's taking as long as it has - Diakatana was a load of crap at 10 years development, but nobody knew it was crap until they published it. At least with CIG we can see that it's not going to be crap when it gets released. Any dates before today's were based on optimism - and CIG is now not giving dates because game development with working with CE 3.8/AWS Lumberyard is hard. AND, once they get a single system fine-tuned and working, the rest of SC will be "easy" to complete.

CIG is wise not to give dates anymore because gamers, you know, are an impatient, unforgiveable, and to be frank, ignorant lot who generally have no idea about how to make a video game or what it takes to make one which will be a paradigm shift in how to make games. They just want the game NOW.

This guy stole my suicide note.

At least, as an older backer, he's calling out people for being ignorant on the paradigm shift.

That single system, though.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

summer of what year?

2018*

*Above may contain an unimportant typo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Part of CIG's balancing strategy actually INVOLVES letting the universe have inequality of wealth from day one.

:psyduck:

The inevitable consequence of a P2W in a crowdfunding capitalistic quadruple AAAA universe.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Solarin posted:

Write a hack that lets you use doors correctly and not be hurled randomly from your ship. I think it will send a powerful message

:lol: Brilliant

Maybe I'll hack the flight model and make ships feel like they're not a piece of loving balsa wood.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

Anyone who's unimpressed, if you've ever played a racing game with a rear engine rear wheel drive car, and you keep spinning out, you'll understand.

good christ, I don't know what's crazier: that car, or how good the driver is.

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

AP posted:

2018*

*Above may contain an unimportant typo

Pretty sure 3.0 is already done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZT7JX1TvE

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

"...definitely been challenges going through this, SHOPKEEPERS has been... you know... that's generally our first usage of the SUBSUMPTION engine in general, so getting to know that has been a challenge, the shopkeepers... although... what you're going to see is fairly simple compared to the overall AI you're gonna see, ah... in the LONG RUN is... still just a good learning experience just for us... ahm... getting... getting... some of the other bugs worked out of the system, you know, INTERACTIONS with objects, getting the camera to sit right on the thing you're trying to focus on and trying on... things like that, it's kinda dialing in the knobs so to speak... it's taken its toll and taken its time"
- Robert Reininger - senior tech designer Texas since aug 2016

That quote had me groaning aloud and I’m glad you transcribed it, S.J. “Shopkeeper talk” is second only in annoyance to CIG babble about female player characters on the “Grating Bullcrap They’ve Been Talking About Ineffectually for Years” list.

I mean, dayemn — they’ve been futzing around with Shopkeepers unsuccessfully forever, and to no productive end.

What happened to all the exciting work we heard about in early 2016? The highly detailed animations of ship hawking, TV monitor gawking and champagne dreams? The showfloor buzz, the meta-spectacle of in-game ship fetishizing by NPC hucksters in AstroArmada?

Oh, that’s right... All that work that came out of the Great CIG Management Brain Trust Gathering of early 2016 didn’t go into the game... Not that it was wasted, though.

At the time it seemed pretty alarming to hear them openly admitting they didn’t really know what their development priorities for the year were — because they didn’t have a master plan stretching across years, they pretty much reset their development priorities at the start of each new year and at the time of filming, the big wigs hadn’t decided yet.

Then it seemed even more damning after the Brain Trust Get Together in California that Priority One was “let’s get our shopkeeper NPCs in the game loaded up with some highly detailed ship hawking movements so the ship showroom in game at least feels abuzz with excitement...” In a space sim without Mining, Bounty Hunting, Trade, Mercenary work, an Economy, Female Players, a satisfying Flight Model or any kind of combat AI...

But as we now know, it was even worse than that. At this point it’s more plausible that the CIG Brain Trust got together to set their priorities for the year and most of it was about the sort of sizzle reel material they needed to start working on for Q4’s big sales push. And the only things that look remotely like what Jake Ross described in that January of 2016 we’re animations and assets later redeployed for a ship sale commercial in a series of year-end commercials to sell yet more ships in a space sim Mining, Bounty Hunting, Trade, Mercenary work, an Economy, Female Players, a satisfying Flight Model or any kind of combat AI...

And now it’s over a year and a half later, and the AI we’ve heard about for years yet hardly encountered in game is proving a big challenge to implement for Shopkeepers — the benign, passive, generally stationary non-entities that are the absolute flotsam and jetsam of MMO-dom...

Just give up, Chris. You lost the plot and with more money than you deserved in a dozen lifetimes you’re fighting for your life to salvage something, anything playable amidst the debris field of the once soaring opportunity fortune granted you. You’ve saturated your potential niche market, milked the hell out of the most gullible, and the deflation of the hope bubble is so violent now it sounds like a 130 decibel whoopy cushion eruption under the rear end of the god of folly.

The spectacle of you and Sandi trying to be cutesy in your lead-in to Burndown every week is absolutely nauseating. The very need to have a weekly show dedicated to ongoing excuse-making as to why you STILL can’t deliver on a nearly year-overdue update on your Year 5 pre-Alpha is bad enough without the glib, chatty wink-winks that kick it off. Each new installment only adds another chapter to the epic tome “Why Chris Roberts is a terrible game developer, project manager and company leader.” If you lack the awareness to not be embarrassed with each new delay and lack the humility to not be ashamed, plant two other people in that chair who might and use you and Sandi’s time in ways more likely to help the project. Like year long vacations or joint resignations.

(And now an elliptical, stimperial message for Chris from L.A. space rockers Autolux...)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Thank you for mentioning all of this. It isn’t the full story, but it gives a great start toward explaining why much of the community understands SC is not pay-to-win.

I completely understand why SC looks at first glance like it may be pay-to-win, but it does get old trying to help folks understand what SC actually is in scope, depth, breadth.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XK posted:

Nicely driven, little bit of showboating but not so much that it slowed him down. :)

Went there about 20 years ago and stayed in a b&b in the village, one of the things I remember most was seeing a very shiny Ford Mondeo with a fart can exhaust and very low suspension (scraping everywhere) that had been blaping around the village like a tit, it went for a run around the 'ring the next day and I remember vividly hearing it from a picnic area that is quite close to the track, farting its way around one of the corners, then the sound of locked brakes and tortured tyres, then a very satisfying 'thump'.

The driver was fine if a little sore, but the Mondeo was about 3ft shorter and no longer farted anywhere. :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

'Hunting' Goons? We tend to advertise.

But but I just want to play the game without being hated and hunted.

But I guess if it makes people feel better I’ll let them blow me up over and over until they get bored and realize that it’s kind of silly and that I’m a good sport and that I think them investing in a video game that probably never comes out isn’t an insult to them as people but rather a logical statement given the current facts.

But if they want to hunt people because they say water is wet and this is heretical talk, well ok.

It just won’t be in Star Citizen though. :grin:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Its not gambling because the prizes are not transferrable to real money. Literally dozens of EU and US gambling boards have stated this. You may argue its very like gambling and a lovely manipulative practice and I agree to a large extent.

But its not gambling in any sort of legal sense for that simple fact. Baseball cards are not even considered gambling (ruled on in court of law) even though theres a market for them. Theres nothing substantially different with loot crates in games.

CSGO is about to get skullfucked though. Its in the works now. I have no idea what the gently caress Steam was thinking facilitating the market for these.

It reads to me like all these "you get random poo poo" things should be treated as gambling, tbh. Including baseball cards/magic packs/whatnot. If I buy a MTG starter pack, I know exactly which and how many cards I get, if I buy a lovely booster pack or what it's called it's random and thus gambling. Boards/lawmakers who disagree are obviously dumb or corrupt and need to be replaced. :v:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Toops why do you need to write out any hacks when the Star Citizen credits will be full of them?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Sabreseven posted:

The driver was fine if a little sore, but the Mondeo was about 3ft shorter and no longer farted anywhere. :D

This warms my heart. People who intentionally make their vehicles parp or thump from 12" woofers deserve their vehicles meet this glorious end.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

trucutru posted:

Bushwa!

All you bluenose lollygagging four-flushers are just envious because Roberts is an egg who knows his onions and his sheba is a true bearcat.

Of all the languages I struggle with, Dutch has got to be one of the hardest. I didn't understand a word of that.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Quick reminder of CIG's definition of MVP as of early 2016:

quote:

So, really what we're doing with Star Citizen is we're working on the game, adding features for an incredibly ambitious design – I don't think there is any other game that is trying to do as much as we're trying to do. So, degree of difficulty 11, not 10. And, we'll have what we determine is a minimum viable product feature list for what you would call Star Citizen the commercial release which is basically when you say, "Okay, we've gotten to this point and we've still got plans to add a lot more cool stuff and more content and more functionality and more features…" – Which by the way includes some of the later stretch goals we have because not all of that is going to be for 'absolutely right here' on the commercial release. But we'll have something that we'll think, 'Okay yeah, not everyone can play it but it doesn't matter – you can load it up, it plays really well, it's really stable, there's lots of content, there's lots of fun things to do, different professions, lots of places to go, we've got a really good ecosystem.' So, when we get to that point that's when we would say, "Now it's not alpha, it's not beta, it's Star Citizen 1.0."

http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=83&qid=9

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

That quote had me groaning aloud and I’m glad you transcribed it, S.J. “Shopkeeper talk” is second only in annoyance to CIG babble about female player characters on the “Grating Bullcrap They’ve Been Talking About Ineffectually for Years” list.

I mean, dayemn — they’ve been futzing around with Shopkeepers unsuccessfully forever, and to no productive end.

What happened to all the exciting work we heard about in early 2016? The highly detailed animations of ship hawking, TV monitor gawking and champagne dreams? The showfloor buzz, the meta-spectacle of in-game ship fetishizing by NPC hucksters in AstroArmada?

Oh, that’s right... All that work that came out of the Great CIG Management Brain Trust Gathering of early 2016 didn’t go into the game... Not that it was wasted, though.

At the time it seemed pretty alarming to hear them openly admitting they didn’t really know what their development priorities for the year were — because they didn’t have a master plan stretching across years, they pretty much reset their development priorities at the start of each new year and at the time of filming, the big wigs hadn’t decided yet.

Then it seemed even more damning after the Brain Trust Get Together in California that Priority One was “let’s get our shopkeeper NPCs in the game loaded up with some highly detailed ship hawking movements so the ship showroom in game at least feels abuzz with excitement...” In a space sim without Mining, Bounty Hunting, Trade, Mercenary work, an Economy, Female Players, a satisfying Flight Model or any kind of combat AI...

But as we now know, it was even worse than that. At this point it’s more plausible that the CIG Brain Trust got together to set their priorities for the year and most of it was about the sort of sizzle reel material they needed to start working on for Q4’s big sales push. And the only things that look remotely like what Jake Ross described in that January of 2016 we’re animations and assets later redeployed for a ship sale commercial in a series of year-end commercials to sell yet more ships in a space sim Mining, Bounty Hunting, Trade, Mercenary work, an Economy, Female Players, a satisfying Flight Model or any kind of combat AI...

And now it’s over a year and a half later, and the AI we’ve heard about for years yet hardly encountered in game is proving a big challenge to implement for Shopkeepers — the benign, passive, generally stationary non-entities that are the absolute flotsam and jetsam of MMO-dom...

Just give up, Chris. You lost the plot and with more money than you deserved in a dozen lifetimes you’re fighting for your life to salvage something, anything playable amidst the debris field of the once soaring opportunity fortune granted you. You’ve saturated your potential niche market, milked the hell out of the most gullible, and the deflation of the hope bubble is so violent now it sounds like a 130 decibel whoopy cushion eruption under the rear end of the god of folly.

The spectacle of you and Sandi trying to be cutesy in your lead-in to Burndown every week is absolutely nauseating. The very need to have a weekly show dedicated to ongoing excuse-making as to why you STILL can’t deliver on a nearly year-overdue update on your Year 5 pre-Alpha is bad enough without the glib, chatty wink-winks that kick it off. Each new installment only adds another chapter to the epic tome “Why Chris Roberts is a terrible game developer, project manager and company leader.” If you lack the awareness to not be embarrassed with each new delay and lack the humility to not be ashamed, plant two other people in that chair who might and use you and Sandi’s time in ways more likely to help the project. Like year long vacations or joint resignations.

(And now an elliptical, stimperial message for Chris from L.A. space rockers Autolux...)

I demand a fidelitous experience when I go to the shoe store to buy a pair of sneakers.

Payless is running a 2 for 1 special? Whoops, I just shoved the clerk through the wall into an infinite hell.

I hope he had LTI.

The aglets are beautiful and perfect.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

PLEBS! PLEBS! PLEEEEEEEBBSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

"people tried to dox me harm me. follow me into other subs and so on"

That's some impressive loving projection right there.

gently caress, that legit kind of makes me angry. :argh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

lol, backers are going to get like 1/20th of the game they paid for.

They’re getting significantly less than that.

It’s rather funny but also sad. As much as I can’t wait to see Chris Roberts tell everybody “3.0 is pretty much what my original vision of Star Citizen would be.” I also am slightly sad for all the people suckered into the hype and the marketing lies.

Star Citizen: 3.0 is The Vision

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Midnite Vulture is my favorite.

Top three are Midnight Vultures, Mellow Gold, and Sea Change in no particular order. But also Guero, and his new one's solid too.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I thought they were shutting down /r/ds in victory, but it seems to be hitting fandred pretty hard.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mutations is the best Beck album.

Beck is a shiptologist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the second chris and co figure out how to embed sales into their broken, janky-rear end game, they will do it in a heartbeat.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
star citizen is what happens when you divide $164,399,566 by zero

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Star Citizen Gets New Video Showing Impressive Procedural Tech to Create Massive Cities

quote:

The latest CitizenCon marked a step up in the dreams of many fans of Star Citizen. When I saw a ship fly over a massive planet-sized city that was very similar to Star Wars’ Coruscant, I felt happy to be living in an era in which technology makes something like this possible.

While Star Citizen isn’t ready for prime time, it’s hard not to admire the ambition that has prompted its team to push the boundary of technology, creating visions of a future game that, if realized, could be a real step up in what we consider feasible.

For now, the team released a new video explaining how the technology was achieved. Starting from a tool able to build a procedural version of Paris, until now, when we can see Arcorp rendered in real time.

You can watch it below. If you want to see more, you can enjoy a few more videos highlighting the game’s visuals, and another recent one focusing on the changes made to quantum travel for the upcoming alpha 3.0.

Star Citizen‘s crowdfunding has now reached $164,396,105, with 1,913,364 registered users.

Before you watch the video, you should keep in mind for the sake of full disclosure that the author of this article is also one of the backers of the game.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Hey guys, remember how patch 3.0 is meant to include a character customisation system? Hooo boy, it's been some time since we heard about that, hasn't it? I bet CIG decided it was too much effort to toss in with all the other bugs they're trying to fix and hoped we'd forgotten about it by now just hasn't had time to show it to us because there's so much other exciting stuff! :shobon:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

quote:

Before you watch the video, you should keep in mind for the sake of full disclosure that the author of this article is also one of the backers of the game.

:lol:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

et tu, giuseppe???

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokamak posted:

I thought they were shutting down /r/ds in victory, but it seems to be hitting fandred pretty hard.

I mean on some level they know.

Even Jester kinda self owned a bit by saying they had been waiting 2 years for 3.0 to shut Derek up and shut the sub down and he was tired of waiting.

Like to us its not really a victory or defeat. We lose some funny content in the thread but no one here truly cared if r/ds existed. Derek seems to care I suppose. But to them it needs to be interpreted as a victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

the second chris and co figure out how to embed sales into their broken, janky-rear end game, they will do it in a heartbeat.

You fire all your torpedoes. Then a pop-up screen appears and ask : "Do you want to reload and refill immediately for $$ ?".