Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyGr-ZUYE30

I'm so glad they spent so much time on Miles Eckhart and did so much promotion of him. I mean the fidelity is really showing when your star quest giver still can't work out where the table is that he has to sit down at, so decides to just start levitating.

The second jacket is made of gravity goo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

loving lol, because I watched half an hour of the stream last night and turned it off after arriving at the same exact conclusion you have

I'm glad people are excited for it, really I am, it's a splendid thing in so many ways. But this stuff they talked about is off on ten tangents and doesn't sound intuitive, slick or fun in the slightest.

It's time Elite had some competition.

The best thing about Star Citizen is the game that already does everything it wants to do and more (minus the walking around thing that nobody likes from X series), is that it’s already boring as gently caress now.

It will take SC at least another 5-10 years before people realize the core mechanics are of poor design and also boring as gently caress.

The future of SC is boredom.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I might have missed something, but why are we thinking that Skadden will reply on Friday?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Quavers posted:

I might have missed something, but why are we thinking that Skadden will reply on Friday?

Derek called it and I am on board

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Henry Scorpio posted:

I'm the mixed tabs and spaces warning on every module. Horrifying use of lambdas. I like how the engineer is just turning synchronous calls into asynchronous to try and get rid of a hitch. I'm sure all other Star Engine systems are cool with more than one ships spawning and initializing at the same time, vs. the one at a time it's been doing for half a decade.

There is so much poo poo going on in that little piece of video, it could fill hundreds of posts....it's just unbelievable. But hey, let's welcome our new lambda-function overlord, which is totally the new poo poo on the block....

I don't watch bugsmashers all that often, but that episode was a pure nightmare of coding. Even if that is the result of one person's work for a week - concentraded into a video to show backers how it's done (kazaaaam) - I'd have a rather long talk with that person.

I know that the following question is hypothetical: but aren't there any software developers under the remaining backers? I understand by now that game dev seems to create some awfull code due to time and money constraints, but phwoa, even looking at the CIG code you see in bugsmashers, it really hurts you as a developer. My mind always scans it for "help us, we are trapped here" signs....

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

SoftNum posted:

"Fun to play ships"

Doesn't every ship that's been actually released play exactly the same (Plus or Minus a cargo spot)?

Don't some have murder ramps?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I’m the screenshot of your space game where the blackness of space is brighter than your grey space ships flying through it.

The beginner ship is the Sperm class flying through space semen.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D_Smart posted:

Why are you posting this poo poo here? There is a buttcoin forum. Go there.

Because it shows how quickly reddit can go from "Quit spreading your FUD here!" to "Oh my god will somebody help me get a refund!"

All they have is their faith, whether it be in fake internet monies or in Chris, and once that faith is smashed into a fine powder, all that will be left is tears and rage and no amount of shilling or paid moderating can quell that rising tide of fury

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Speaking of height maps, the best way to get height maps to line up without huge seams is to just mirror one of them so they have no choice but to seamlessly line up.
NPCs.
I swear at some point they were defending that on the subreddit as a completely natural formation that makes total sense

No seam, no seam, you're the seam

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

Yo Toops CIG is saving incomplete player data straight to the persistent database:

lol

Wow!

I sure hope somebody can think of a way to resolve this!

And people think this is the company that has the brains to develop technology the world has never seen to build an MMO that rivals The Matrix (the actual movie) in reality except the whole universe is the Matrix.

They’re using AWS so they can probably google SQS to help them put a band aid on it. I can somehow almost picture this thing directly triggering a godawfully designed store procedure in their DB that is randomly catching deadlocks or missing hits.

But I don’t know anything about video games so I’m sure you guys have smarter ways of traffic management.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Quavers posted:

Apparently they had up to two weeks to file an opposition to the defendant’s motion to dismiss.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You guys laugh, but these dudes already have better atmospheric flight than CIG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSx4SKlfXQ

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

*posts 50 screenshots of his garbage game*

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hot balls man no homo posted:

Because it shows how quickly reddit can go from "Quit spreading your FUD here!" to "Oh my god will somebody help me get a refund!"

All they have is their faith, whether it be in fake internet monies or in Chris, and once that faith is smashed into a fine powder, all that will be left is tears and rage and no amount of shilling or paid moderating can quell that rising tide of fury

If only you knew how true that was. I present to you, Exhibit A, paragraph 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7qxadx/why_i_submitted_a_refund_request/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spatial posted:

I swear at some point they were defending that on the subreddit as a completely natural formation that makes total sense

No seam, no seam, you're the seam

I’m sure their algorithms are so awesome they just programmed in seams and squares and giant crevices that are perfectly straight lines into their math so that it disguised itself as a lesser game built from stitched together height maps.

They don’t want to tip their hand to the guys at Elite who may steal their technological wonders. :ninja:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

You guys laugh, but these dudes already have better atmospheric flight than CIG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSx4SKlfXQ

That second segment ended just moments too soon.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG guy please remind Ben that he technically still has work to do while he's molting in his office.

He's busy. My sources informed me that Ben will be starring in a weekly show called Burgsmashers.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Xaerael posted:

The Long Dark
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider (reboot)

The Long Lark
Sweeping Blogs
And I got nothing for the next one.

Spooder-Mun
Jun 18, 2004

Xaerael posted:

I have a stockpile of duplicate games due to Humble Monthly.

The Long Dark
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider (reboot)

I would like to give these out, with the rule that you MUST play them and do a 250 word field trip report about why they are better than Star Citizen within ONE WEEK of receiving the code, or toxx. If you're up to the task, post

and claim ONE game. First come, first served.

Note: 250 words is nothing. About 2x what I wrote here. Thread's getting stale, things need punching up a little.

You need PMs for me to send the steam codes.

E: to spice it up, the field trip needs a screenshot or two.

I'll punch the poo poo out of the thread!

I accept the challenge to explain why I think this free game is better than Star Citizen, I claim The Long Dark!!! If I fail to post my field trip report, :toxx:

I think I can nail this one. My computer probably can't run it too well, which is good for (comparisons to) Star Citizen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

alf_pogs posted:

can't believe derek broke into a really nice apartment and took photo of some stranger's dog pretending it was his own, all to discredit chris roberts. Sad!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I understand why Ben champions the ridiculous ship designs

it's the only time he's been able to fit on to scale

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG is selling a subscriber only mousepad that's straight up just a bunch of untextured models.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Whitleys-Guide-Mousepad-Subscriber-Special/Whitley-s-Guide-Mousepad-Subscriber-Special

This can't be real. I'm being tricked. Is this real? This can't be real. $16 w/ $15 shipping.

Why is it so wide?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tuo posted:

There is so much poo poo going on in that little piece of video, it could fill hundreds of posts....it's just unbelievable. But hey, let's welcome our new lambda-function overlord, which is totally the new poo poo on the block....

I don't watch bugsmashers all that often, but that episode was a pure nightmare of coding. Even if that is the result of one person's work for a week - concentraded into a video to show backers how it's done (kazaaaam) - I'd have a rather long talk with that person.

I know that the following question is hypothetical: but aren't there any software developers under the remaining backers? I understand by now that game dev seems to create some awfull code due to time and money constraints, but phwoa, even looking at the CIG code you see in bugsmashers, it really hurts you as a developer. My mind always scans it for "help us, we are trapped here" signs....

You obviously don't understand game development.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

This would have been funnier if you posted it in twitter screenshot form but it's still a good effort for comedy

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Are players faxing their location in Vanduul space to other players disrupting the balance in Star Citizen? - PC Gamer 2023

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

G0RF posted:

I probably enjoy Batgirl’s videos more than most people. Batgirl, like Clifford, fits neatly in the Evangelist camp and while I think they’re a little, uh, “batty”, they also seem pretty guileless. I don’t understand how it’s possible for Batgirl to retain the hopes she has for the project in the face of what she’s seen and experienced. It was a little easier to understand in the prior years because her “friends” Sandi and Ben gave her privileged access and she reciprocated with softball questions and an abundance of praise.

Yet Ben seems marginalized if not gone completely, and Sandi hasn’t given a new interview in quite some time.(Wise move, really, given how many regrettable things she’s said in past interviews.) Her “friends” have shut her out every bit as sharply and unexpectedly as her NPC mission giver did in SoTG. I’d assumed maybe some distance from CIG might clear the fog but no, she_still_trusts_in_cig and believes in the game.

Depending where you stand it’s either heartbreaking or hilarious that her video ends with her still hanging on to the Cargo she scored in a half hour of planet jogging. It can’t be redeemed yet can’t be discarded, either. It’s empty, pointless, a gag gift consolation prize for her time lost to a parody of a gameplay experience, yet she’s attached to it anyway. She’s assigned the meaning and worth to it that the game failed to provide or reward and I’d not be surprised if she retains it as long as persistence will allow. It’s pretty much a symbol of her faith in the dream and like hell is she going to let anyone take that away. (At least until some server wipe does.)

Free jpgs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

Are players faxing their location in Vanduul space to other players disrupting the balance in Star Citizen? - PC Gamer 2023

The use of a telegraph should be banned along with Xian morse code.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xaerael posted:

I have a stockpile of duplicate games due to Humble Monthly.

The Long Dark
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider (reboot)

I would like to give these out, with the rule that you MUST play them and do a 250 word field trip report about why they are better than Star Citizen within ONE WEEK of receiving the code, or toxx. If you're up to the task, post

and claim ONE game. First come, first served.

Note: 250 words is nothing. About 2x what I wrote here. Thread's getting stale, things need punching up a little.

You need PMs for me to send the steam codes.

E: to spice it up, the field trip needs a screenshot or two.

i like sleeping dogs but i've already played it and will happily write 500 words about it. it owns

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

While I absolutely love the pain sphere and am happy to be part of it I am not certain if I would suggest the pain sphere at this time to people not already inside of it as the pain sphere may not provide the experience that everyone is looking for. Note this is not a criticism of the pain sphere.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG is selling a subscriber only mousepad that's straight up just a bunch of untextured models.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Whitleys-Guide-Mousepad-Subscriber-Special/Whitley-s-Guide-Mousepad-Subscriber-Special

This can't be real. I'm being tricked. Is this real? This can't be real. $16 w/ $15 shipping.

Should we at least texture this poo poo before we try to sell it to- ahahaha! They’ll buy anything! Just throw some random assets on a piece of cardboard and sell it for almost $20 a pop.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kr-4K_gcU&t=58s

I love how half of the components of the ship remain hovering in the same place after the explosion.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kr-4K_gcU&t=58s

I love how half of the components of the ship remain hovering in the same place after the explosion.

I like the way that there's this huge recoil animation yet he remains perfectly stationary while firing it in space. Fidelity!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

*posts 50 screenshots of his garbage game*

To be fair star citizen and line of defense do share a startling number of similarities...

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

To be fair star citizen and line of defense do share a startling number of similarities...

I was hoping to get in a jab here but you pretty much nailed the two biggest jokes in the thread.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Raskolnikov posted:

To be honest, LoD looks like Red Faction 1 a bit in screenshots, where as SC looks like it was made in 2012 and is just dull and uninspired.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Seriously the spaceships are the same color as the planet dirt. Says what you will about LoD but I'd rather have my eyes boiled out by neon teal than neon gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004