Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sillybones posted:

That is some oddly specific stuff for you to be saying. Don't get yourself in trouble just because you want to 'call it' first.

Oh, like you mean the sort of trouble I have got into since I've been posting sourced material since 2015? :laffo: get a grip - but thanks for your concern all the same. :D

You know half this poo poo is already in my Twitter feed, right?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

It's going to end up being the corporate version of that old sovereign citizen attempt at confusing the judge, isn't it? :D
its going to be hilarious when someone reads "blah blah count 4 motion to dismiss is GRANTED" and be all "YES YES I loving KNEW IT"

and then go "wait wait wait, but the overall motion to dismiss is denied?! HOW LAW WORK" and start ranting about how the liberal courts are destroying free trade or whatever

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

It's going to end up being the corporate version of that old sovereign citizen attempt at confusing the judge, isn't it? :D

Hey Judge <fumbles with papers> This is Chewbacca.....

kw0134 posted:

Cultists, when presented incontrovertible evidence that the game is indeed poo poo, cover their eyes and scream they can't hear you over the awesome gameplay of single digit frame rates and tedium made manifest.

It will be no stretch of the imagination that a technical document for a specialty audience will be incorrectly dissected by this same crowd. These people willfully misinterpret the most basic stimuli, so a memo that usually causes reasonable peoples' eyes to glaze over will of course be utterly misconstrued to fit their world view.

No, you're the cultist.

D_Smart posted:

You have a twitter feed?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what will the citizens do without the funding tracker

I'm p sure that's going to shake confidence a bit

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Derek should post more tweets linking to threads that point to blogs, imo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

its going to be hilarious when someone reads "blah blah count 4 motion to dismiss is GRANTED" and be all "YES YES I loving KNEW IT"

and then go "wait wait wait, but the overall motion to dismiss is denied?! HOW LAW WORK" and start ranting about how the liberal courts are destroying free trade or whatever

None of that is going to happen.

They're going to read the Skadden response, and try to theory-craft around it, while claiming that it doesn't matter because CIG has a stronger case as per their MtD and because Leonard French and Youtube lawyer said so.

Then they will hang onto that until Feb 9th when the judge rules.

Of course, we may see another hilarious CIG response before Feb 9th, so I'm hopeful.

Either way, the biggest lols aren't even here yet. That's going to come when discovery starts - and most of it is going to be public.

----------------

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Derek should post more tweets linking to threads that point to blogs, imo

Embedded in an animated gif that does not move.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

what will the citizens do without the funding tracker

I'm p sure that's going to shake confidence a bit

It's going to be hilarious if they remove it from the upcoming website refresh.

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tippis posted:

Tsk tsk tsk.
You should know the motto of this thread by now. I'm disappointed.

Maybe we will finally get to hear from the infamous Robert Space

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Of course, we may see another hilarious CIG response before Feb 9th, so I'm hopeful.

I already called that don't steal my valor.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's going to be hilarious if they remove it from the upcoming website refresh.
wondering if they are preparing to jettison turbulent as a whole after the redesign

patcher is workin okay, spectrum is up, no more need to track funding, CIG has been taking turbulents marketing ideas for years now

might as well stop paying them and move a single intern up to website production coordinator

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Losing the funding tracker will mean no more contests. I feel grief.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Losing the funding tracker will mean no more contests. I feel grief.
they always end up around the $34m to $36m mark no matter what

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Zzr posted:

Zzr posted:

Ah OK, I'm on notice then. :grin:

But seriously, if what I'm hearing is true, there is no way in hell that CIG doesn't respond to the upcoming filing. Especially if Skadden goes after Ortwin and includes the waiver that CIG are hiding (according to Shitizens, Crytek was hiding the GLA by not including it. hilarious, yah, I know) from the public.

Either way, I don't care what anyone says, RSI/CIG are hosed. Completely.

----------------

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Calling it that the Skadden response is going to be a bunch of legal judo roping the spin off companies into the whole mess.
So much for Roberts Space wasn't part of the contract.

If I'm wrong I will be mean to MOMA for one post.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

At the other end of the scale, the sheer range of valid-seeming edge cases is pretty sublime too...

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Oh, like you mean the sort of trouble I have got into since I've been posting sourced material since 2015? :laffo: get a grip - but thanks for your concern all the same. :D

No, please post your twitter links here so we can be sure.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Tippis posted:

Poopycock!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zzr posted:

B'Tak, even if star citizen locks my computer, I'll still have my tablet or my phone to launch discord. I'll find you B'Tak, don't try to hide.

:ohdear:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Oh god they really are just like coiners.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/953773216878747649

----------------

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Embedded in an animated gif that does not move.

Animated

Does not move

Ok

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Animated

Does not move

Ok

Imagine a game, that's not fun, and not really a game. Like Star Citizen. On a cliff.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

You bastard.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Possible but Batgirl was actually part of the rebellion for a time and even had a news spot on the "gently caress you Sandi for killing wingman's hangar, we'll restart it under a different name" show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZwrThd6rvs&t=464s

I think she was sympathetic with the rebellion, but she wasn’t exactly drawing lines in the sand with CIG LA. It was but a month after her Galactic Inquiry appearance that she got her second big Sandi interview, and didn’t prove a hostile interviewer.

quote:

To me, there's no way the core group that left CIG Austin weren't all bitching about every skeleton in the CIG closet and she was involved enough to be tapped into the new show. I'm not saying she's a horrible person but she obviously made a decision at some point to ignore the major issues and attach herself to the winning side, while making videos and attempting to raise money for new ships/camera equipment for herself.

I agree with this and I’m not entirely sure what we’re disagreeing about, although it’s funny to be this far into the weeds debating our nuanced takes on the enduring impact of political chaos at CIG on one fan/streamer.

Batgirl’s flirtations with rebellion were short-lived and lacked the courage of conviction even then. She was a lifer before and after. Her deepest loyalties were then and are now to Star Citizen and her streaming dreams.

(Originally I had put together a bunch of links to other videos she’d made around that time for more context but then I realized “There’s no way AP doesn’t know all of this. I know he does. I must be misunderstanding his point or he mine on some other basis...” So I removed it.)

So if the question is whether Batgirl has been an opportunist at times over the last several years, my own answer would be yes. But if the question is whether she actually lost faith in the bigger Dream after hearing scuttlebutt on the ugliness of the LA/Austin schism, my opinion is no.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Idris is not, and will never be, in the MMO portion of the game. It's dependent on NPC's and multi-crew and ship-inside-a-ship physics and doors and a dozen other systems that they will never ever get working. At best they will put it in the hangar at some point, in non-interactive form.

I used to think that the Idris would be the straw that broke the whale's back. $1000 for a ship and five years later it's still not playable? Surely nobody is going to tolerate that. But the Citizens do, they tolerate it all.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell a legit "battlemech" though.

Respectfully disagree. I know it's crazy to say they wouldn't sell something, but hear me out. A big mech would require some programming changes to get them to move and balance right. Also, they would have collision problems with an object that big that animates (ceilings not tall enough, etc).

I argue that new sales concepts will fit two opposed categories:

1. P2W advantages that require very little artist hours and no additional coding. These includes new versions of existing ships/vehicles, new ships/vehicles (only small ones), and new weapons or abilities (the EMP is overpowered on purpose. Buy an Optane). The small mech suit is acceptable because it could use the same animation system as a player character, and it's only marginally bigger than a player. It also fills an empty P2W niche. Are goons griefing you in first person combat? Buy a mech suit.

2. Any piece of content or a coded feature that is so vague, ambitious or impractical that it can be pushed back indefinitely. For example, persistent 1 universe land claiming (they will never achieve the persistence), base building (same), a playable Javelin or Merchantman (man hours and technical problems), Starliner mechanics, science mechanics. Backers will understand if these things get delayed, because they are so ambitious and have unfulfilled prerequisites. CiG can sell it, then not actually work on it.

A battlemech is kinda possible but kinda not. They'd have to devote man hours to it, and it will just end up broken, like the hoverbikes. I think they'll avoid it.

D_Smart posted:

Well since none of those mechanics are in, nothing is stopping them from putting it in the game and have the player fly his chariot alone. Except that it's so loving huge, that the minute it goes in the game, many tears will be shed.

I want this too, but I don't think it will happen. CiG sold about as many Idrises as they can reasonably expect to. They have the money. There's no reason to finish it.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 18, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

The Idris is not, and will never be, in the MMO portion of the game. It's dependent on NPC's and multi-crew and ship-inside-a-ship physics and doors and a dozen other systems that they will never ever get working. At best they will put it in the hangar at some point, in non-interactive form.

I used to think that the Idris would be the straw that broke the whale's back. $1000 for a ship and five years later it's still not playable? Surely nobody is going to tolerate that. But the Citizens do, they tolerate it all.

Well since none of those mechanics are in, nothing is stopping them from putting it in the game and have the player fly his chariot alone. Except that it's so loving huge, that the minute it goes in the game, many tears will be shed.

----------------

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Preen Dog posted:

Respectfully disagree. I know it's crazy to say they wouldn't sell something, but hear me out. A big mech would require some programming changes to get them to move and balance right. Also, they would have collision problems with an object that big that animates (ceilings not tall enough, etc).

Are the two guys who wrote the original MWLL mod still working for CIG or have them moved on? Because they got it working with mod tools.

Besides "Working Mechs in game" and "Selling mechs" are totally different things.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Preen Dog posted:

Respectfully disagree. I know it's crazy to say they wouldn't sell something, but hear me out. A big mech would require some programming changes to get them to move and balance right.
Ordinarily I'd agree with this, but you're not taking into account the customer base. Those people have shown no concern so far over whether things move and balance right, why would they start now? Throw a mech in, no matter how poorly implemented, and they'll be saying "Well, does Elite have mechs? No. Star Citizen is doing something that hasn't been done before. This is still an alpha, they'll obviously fix it later."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hacked together crytek jeep code will do the trick i think.

jittering through world geometry or exploding randomly will of course be a feature

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Imagine a game, that's not fun, and not really a game. Like Star Citizen. On a cliff.

He's probably a youngster that never got a jpg in a word document zipped and emailed.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Calling it right now

Reddit will overreact to Skadden's reply and play it down as nothing important.

Why is everyone getting so jacked up about what will surely be boring legalese that doesn't really change anything?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'd rather not.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Eldragon posted:

Besides "Working Mechs in game" and "Selling mechs" are totally different things.

Sunswipe posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree with this, but you're not taking into account the customer base. Those people have shown no concern so far over whether things move and balance right, why would they start now? Throw a mech in, no matter how poorly implemented, and they'll be saying "Well, does Elite have mechs? No. Star Citizen is doing something that hasn't been done before. This is still an alpha, they'll obviously fix it later."

I'd believe that they'd sell the mech dream, but they will only actually implement easier vehicles. The player doesn't care if it's a mech or a tank as long as it has S4 weapon slots.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hacked together crytek jeep code will do the trick i think.

This guy used the default tank class in Neoaxis to make mechs. When they bump into things they wobble like those inflatable punching bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXWictzK-4&t=334s

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

Why is everyone getting so jacked up about what will surely be boring legalese that doesn't really change anything?

Im naturally jacked to the tits, but its also because its another big roadblock that citizens have erected in the defense of their favorite hobby, spending money on broken nostalgia while trying to salvage the broken glass and blood everywhere.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Toops posted:

That depends on what the definition of jacked up is

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Im naturally jacked to the tits, but its also because its another big roadblock that citizens have erected in the defense of their favorite hobby, spending money on broken nostalgia while trying to salvage the broken glass and blood everywhere.

So really it's a question of what jacked means

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What I'm trying to get at is

Never stop jacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm jacked to the tits.