Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

does Warhorse Studios(Kingdom Come Deliverance) still in tech sharing with CIG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NEW PAGE!

NEW PAGE!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
HYPE IS REAL!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
PYEH ISNT A WORD!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

yea, the secret tech of making a bad crowdfunded game

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Don't quote the poo poo out of me, thank you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't quote the poo poo out of me, thank you.

quoting the poo poo out of this

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beet Wagon posted:

quoting the poo poo out of this

Not gonna lie, your AV makes me terrified to check this thread.

What I'm saying is, I like it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TheAgent posted:

yea, the secret tech of making a bad crowdfunded game

I know for sure croberts was just leeching on the talents of the guys in Warhorse, I really hope they have seen the bullshit of croberts way back and have backed out a long time ago

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

NEW PAGE!

NEW PAGE!

What the hell is that from

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Phi230 posted:

Facebooklive. The unmovable steelman vs the totallystopable warlord.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

Florida

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I thought it was Texas.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

iospace posted:

I thought it was Texas.

Release the Warlord's birth certificate!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zzr posted:

Autism versus Weelcheer. The titan combat. Was south park right ?

Sounds like some matchups from One Must Fall.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I forgot to post how poo poo the titles have been recently last night. My only regret.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

G0RF posted:

Forgive me the vanity of quoting my recent effortpost but I wanted to expand further on something:

In thinking about this a little further and watching Roberts and Haddock’s session on this, I think structure sales aren’t just a speculative possibility they’re an absolute certainty. CIG has already declared it with their lore. There was so much noise erupting about Land Claims alone that it was maybe easier to assume it was a final outrage rather than simply the prelude to an entirely new symphony of them.

So first, let’s take a look at the published lore about land in game. Get comfortable, it’s a time sink, and that in itself is a huge tell.

Here we go:

There’s probably even more lorewank out there preemptively normalizing their next level fleecing plans. But really, just listen to Lando pre-hype the “brand new game mechanic that’s taken the Star Citizen community by storm” on a video with 1000 downvoted. Then later to the Roberts Brothers and Haddock talking through it all. It’s worth watching it all as preamble to what is surely aimed to be their biggest revenue diversification pivot.

Roberts prattling on about its legitimacy as an honest-to-goodness game mechanic glibly, as if the fact that charging players real money for protecting their security and then subjecting them to an in-game bureaucratic red-tape marathon somehow elevated a dirtbag cash grab to respectability. On and on he goes.

So much time, forethought and preparation has gone into this that of course it’s not just a pitch for cash purchase of the claims (and protection.) It’s The Next Great Star-Fleece.

Maybe somehow this is all just going to be done via in-game currency. It would take the moral turpitude away and just leave it looking like yet more idiotic elevation of Assets over Gameplay. But Roberts has never not once passed up an opportunity to dig deeper in the collective pockets of the citizenry so assuming the absolute worst of him isn’t exactly unfair.

It wouldn’t bother me half so much if all the other space sim gameplay pitched in the Kickstarter were behind him. If he’d built a great game then wanted to sell housing rather than subscriptions to cover operational needs, it would be at least a defensible rationale. But doing it before even his first star system is complete? Before Squadron is released? Before his flight model is perfected? Before combat is fun? Before AI gives “life and danger” to the world beyond your fellow players?

If that’s the plan then good lord this game needs to be driven out of town with the lash and stoned for its offenses against basic decency. Not even EA at its most unseemly has ever been half so brazen.

Didn't they already sell a spaceship that builds housing? I think it was before the land claim stick

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Mr.Tophat posted:

No taxation without representation, good catte though

You represent yourself very well in this thread, Mr. Tophat.
We could say that you are directing this thread's :justpost: policy.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beexoffel posted:

You represent yourself very well in this thread, Mr. Tophat.
We could say that you are directing this thread's :justpost: policy.

One does what one is want to do, if others follow, that's fine too

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

G0RF posted:

Number #1 of Star Citizen streams on twitch? How many dozens of viewers was it?

Six dozens at peak. Star Citizen is saved!

https://sullygnome.com/channel/rag3club/7/streams

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MilesK posted:

Didn't they already sell a spaceship that builds housing? I think it was before the land claim stick

Yes, the Consolidated Outland. It’s demoed in the video.

When Land Claims first popped up I thought “oh so that’s their real estate monetization plan - a protection racket.” It was outrageous enough, this “Pay to Live” mechanic, I just got fixated on it a while. It seemed just a bridge too far even for CIG to go full mafia and full Garriott even before they’ve finished core Kickstarter mechanics. But it’s all right there, as subtle as a chili fart in a pup tent, as is the Roberts tradition. There was more and it was worse, I just forget that sometimes, however true I know it is.

Quavers posted:

Six dozens at peak. Star Citizen is saved!

https://sullygnome.com/channel/rag3club/7/streams

I tried to watch it after but skipping around it was dullsville. After seeing some guy get stuck with a frozen cursor / mobiglass issue, I figured that was the highlight and bailed.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 3, 2018

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

Forgive me the vanity of quoting my recent effortpost but I wanted to expand further on something:

In thinking about this a little further and watching Roberts and Haddock’s session on this, I think structure sales aren’t just a speculative possibility they’re an absolute certainty. CIG has already declared it with their lore. There was so much noise erupting about Land Claims alone that it was maybe easier to assume it was a final outrage rather than simply the prelude to an entirely new symphony of them.

So first, let’s take a look at the published lore about land in game. Get comfortable, it’s a time sink, and that in itself is a huge tell.

Here we go:

There’s probably even more lorewank out there preemptively normalizing their next level fleecing plans. But really, just listen to Lando pre-hype the “brand new game mechanic that’s taken the Star Citizen community by storm” on a video with 1000 downvoted. Then later to the Roberts Brothers and Haddock talking through it all. It’s worth watching it all as preamble to what is surely aimed to be their biggest revenue diversification pivot.

Roberts prattling on about its legitimacy as an honest-to-goodness game mechanic glibly, as if the fact that charging players real money for protecting their security and then subjecting them to an in-game bureaucratic red-tape marathon somehow elevated a dirtbag cash grab to respectability. On and on he goes.

So much time, forethought and preparation has gone into this that of course it’s not just a pitch for cash purchase of the claims (and protection.) It’s The Next Great Star-Fleece.

Maybe somehow this is all just going to be done via in-game currency. It would take the moral turpitude away and just leave it looking like yet more idiotic elevation of Assets over Gameplay. But Roberts has never not once passed up an opportunity to dig deeper in the collective pockets of the citizenry so assuming the absolute worst of him isn’t exactly unfair.

It wouldn’t bother me half so much if all the other space sim gameplay pitched in the Kickstarter were behind him. If he’d built a great game then wanted to sell housing rather than subscriptions to cover operational needs, it would be at least a defensible rationale. But doing it before even his first star system is complete? Before Squadron is released? Before his flight model is perfected? Before combat is fun? Before AI gives “life and danger” to the world beyond your fellow players?

If that’s the plan then good lord this game needs to be driven out of town with the lash and stoned for its offenses against basic decency. Not even EA at its most unseemly has ever been half so brazen.

I wonder when he tries this the press will go full tilt on them. I think they are looking now for reason to write bad press articles and this one would be a doosy.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Phi230 posted:

bens austin office episode.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

EminusSleepus posted:

I believe they did do some- the inventory system and the clothes layering but that was a few years ago.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

intardnation posted:

I wonder when he tries this the press will go full tilt on them. I think they are looking now for reason to write bad press articles and this one would be a doosy.

I think that’s why CIG is tiptoeing around the particulars for now. Now is the time for prepping soil, planting seeds, and shoveling heaps of bullshit atop it all. They started it with Homesteading at Gamescom 2016, it will only fully flower when they finish get the cash extraction mechanisms in place. They say Q4, and while it’s normally a safe bet to ignore dates, of all the priorities Chris has right now I suspect this one is the biggest. He just might hit the target for once!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Stats for the official Star Citizen Twitch channel for the past month:

:negative:

SC events like the Anniversary livestream get 20x the viewership than the weekly RTV shows, highlighting why CIG put so much focus on them.

Meanwhile, the game itself doesn't fare any better:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

poo poo numbers for a 180 mil game

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

maybe CR should write a letter to the twitch people

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

Derek, I appreciate you not going full Warlord and posting a second by second play-by-play of the discord chats. I hope we can all put this slapfight behind us and focus on the real enemy: MoMA, I guess.

The enemy of your enemy is your friend.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Moma isn't an enemy; he's the thread's greatest friend. Without him, even more time would be wasted with you guys eating each other.

He's necessary. Like the squid in Watchmen.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

MilesK posted:

They teased that, but don't think it'll ever happen.

Base build mechanics would be too hard to code, the Pioneer ship is far too big to make, and persistent user-built bases would fall victim to bugs, griefing and server resets. Most importantly, CiG can't sell buildings if players can build them.

It'd be easier and more lucrative to sell buildings directly. Either buildings that are dynamically placed on your command, or prefab interiors for buildings that exist in the world already.

Imagine how much some nerd would pay to buy a suite and a hangar in the Tyrell building.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It's simple.

That's the thing with some people, you always have to agree with them otherwise you run afoul of their ire.

Yeah, cause putting my personal information all over your lobby was absolutely no cause for me to be angry. I don't care what you think about me or my legal chances.
We didn't get into it until you kept calling me a liar (Lord knows I have no idea why); which I simply let go.

quote:

8) He came back - again - all bent out of shape and with something new to bitch about because he took my removing him from the secure channel as an attack on him.

9) He subsequently rage-quit from the server, then came to SA to continue his attention-seeking drama.
I'm not sure why that's a difficult concept to grasp, so I'll spell it out.
I didn't rage-quit. I severed ties with your association, which is important if I intend to ever sue you for leaking personal data.
If something were to happen to me, I need to do myself the fiduciary duty of not being linked with you on any level.

Beet Wagon posted:

Street, I understand that passions are running high right now, and with the very serious overlap between Derek's discord and this thread it can be really tempting to think of them as being one and the same, but they're not and please try in the future to not import personal drama like that. I know this thread loves a good slapfight, but maybe let's keep the super secret discord drama in the super secret discord.
I'm not going to re-join Derek's discord for the reasons stated above. I'm also not going to take bullshit lying down. If it bothers you, probate me.
(I won't take it personally)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Preen Dog posted:

Base build mechanics would be too hard to code, the Pioneer ship is far too big to make, and persistent user-built bases would fall victim to bugs, griefing and server resets. Most importantly, CiG can't sell buildings if players can build them.

It'd be easier and more lucrative to sell buildings directly. Either buildings that are dynamically placed on your command, or prefab interiors for buildings that exist in the world already.

Imagine how much some nerd would pay to buy a suite and a hangar in the Tyrell building.

They did sell the base building ship. $850

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

quote:

With or without Replicants my space commando can murder at will? This is important to my evil Jared Leto erp plans in the 'verse.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I know Fidelito Castro just recently died (yes that's an actual name) . But can we maybe not replace him with Maximo Autismo in here?

E: the only thing worthy to replicant in star citizen are naked t posing bald men with nipplejets and luckily the universe has many to offer already

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

gently caress discord.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

D_Smart posted:

It's simple.

That's the thing with some people, you always have to agree with them otherwise you run afoul of their ire.

Lol you have to be doing that on purpose but I honestly can't tell

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Preen Dog posted:

And yet...

It goes without saying but it would be easier to get a female player character in the game. For all the time they’ve taken, I sure hope that fully articulated HipSway(tm) proves worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

XK posted:

They did sell the base building ship. $850

Don't worry, base building will be in 3.4. In the meantime, a handsome Legatus Naiveium like you will want to buy one of the -exclusive and limited- penthouse suites in the Hurston Dynamics building, or if you want to move in right now, the commanders quarters on Port Ollisar. You do want to look good in front of your org mates.

Raskolnikov posted:

With or without Replicants my space commando can murder at will? This is important to my evil Jared Leto erp plans in the 'verse.

There will be animatronic people in your suite that will appreciate just how great you are. We offer a service plan to keep them in tip top shape (and not jogging in place or stuck in the floor). We don't know if they can make babies, but they'll certainly invite you to try.

You make thread good, friend.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 3, 2018