Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

CIG is off to a strong start this year.

this is what happens when you hire amateurs

although wow just had a big hullabaloo with the 7.1.5 patch notes, so even seasoned game devs can revert to the "oh I dont give a gently caress, I mean OH WE WILL TRY HARDER GUYS" poo poo from ye olden dev days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

You're the best.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

CIG is off to a strong start this year.

that's a lot of loving words for something that's completely unimportant

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i'm referring to the hobo's "job" here

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

"My Sex Robot". It's on Netflix now.

Well, all I can say after watching that was

"Well that was a thing" and "Those inventor need access to the CIG backer list".

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Star Citizen: My Sex Robot

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Read the words before reading the name. Wanted to strangle this twisted piece of poo poo and send them to hell. How can someone be so consistently horrid that everything they said stirs primal rage?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

I don't know why, it confirms Chris assertion that all level design for Squadron 42 was completed.

"Well even if it isn't up to snuff for general release in wake of IW, why not just release it as a Super Mario Lost Levels kind of thing, as bonus playable 'retro' material for the faithful?"

"No"

(:ssh: it doesn't exist)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun Fact: The Q&A series exists because I told Ben that it would be a good idea, and that people had a ton of questions that needed answering.

Naturally they turned it into a marketing strategy.

So basically you are directly responsible for this issue with ship Q&A to be able to exist in the first place. Goons ruining everything they touch again.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Someone please put Derek back in the window of the door. It triggers me every time I see he's missing.

Same. Especially considering it was the 'enhancement' that started this whole thing.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Read the words before reading the name. Wanted to strangle this twisted piece of poo poo and send them to hell. How can someone be so consistently horrid that everything they said stirs primal rage?

r u ok commando?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

redrum REDRUM

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun Fact: The Q&A series exists because I told Ben that it would be a good idea, and that people had a ton of questions that needed answering.

Naturally they turned it into a marketing strategy.

The QA posts are a great source of feature creep - take cargo, they had a design doc, and you go OK, this is a pretty deep system but doable.

Then you have the Star Marine guy talk about emptying out cargo containers and hiding in them, and handheld scanners that can scan inside and the ability to booby trap them and that's like a whole bunch more models and designer bulletpoints and underlying tech you need to support that have never previously been mentioned or itemised.

Then you have the Hull Q&A saying you can get armoured containers with less internal space and you can break all the fighters in the game down into components and store them in cargo containers and you know that none of that has been implemented for any of the current fighters, so they'd need to redo everything to support it, but really they just wanted the marketing bullet point of "can transport other ships" so people would buy it.

And every mechanic in the game is like this! Take repair, there's one system based on real airframe repair where you cut away damage, infill structure and material and then harden it, there's the Miller ERS where you construct a drydock in space around the ship using a variety of parts in a sort of Minecraft fashion, but then they also want you EVAing with a magic spot welder like in Battlefield, or crawling through Jeffries tubes with a wrench, and also one of the Kickstarter rewards is a bot that can repair for you. So you've got like four/five versions of the mechanic with wildly different levels of effort/time and no indication of how any of them fit together.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Man I woke up and the first thing I thought that went through my head was this thread.
Life is good.

So now they are scrapping QA. Lol, I guess its truly*puts on glasses* backers will never know* yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

the mildly is strong with this one

quote:

The red dot is patch 2.6; everything beyond that is speculation.

The green trend line is the floating average, and the blue trend line is the overall average.

Each patch is organized and weighted based on CIG's numbering system; e.g. between patch 1.0 and patch 2.0, there were 14 patches, but some were more incremental than others, patch 1.3 was the last patch before 2.0, and was counted as a quarter of a full patch. There were four patches from 1.0 to 1.1, each counted as a quarter of a quarter of a full patch, numbered in the style of 1.1.1, and there were two patches between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, each was counted as a half of a quarter of a quarter of a full patch, etc.

Based on the most recent trend, the 4.0 patch is projected for the end of 2019; based on the overall average, its projected for mid Q3 of 2018.

By either estimation; 3.0 is projected for mid 2017.

Lol, little does he know CIG will be bankrupt by 2018.

gently caress yeah, brackets:D

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

I don't feel like I understand this graph, but for once in my life I feel like the graph is the retarded one and not me.

EDIT: Wait does the Y axis represent version numbers? My god, this is stupid.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I love the mapping of utterly meaningless version numbers against arbitrary release times.

I guess historically it's a good map of how often CIG's patch release schedule has got clogged to the point that they can't release regular patches any more.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Chalks posted:

I love the mapping of utterly meaningless version numbers against arbitrary release times.

I guess historically it's a good map of how often CIG's patch release schedule has got clogged to the point that they can't release regular patches any more.

map or not, its good for the shitizens morale. I love how the time in between also doubles lol.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

"Update rate" :allears:

This is beautiful

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

map or not, its good for the shitizens morale. I love how the time in between also doubles lol.

Are they saying that v4 is release or do they plan on extending the graph a little bit more so that it covers an entire decade of failure to meet deadlines?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Chalks posted:

Are they saying that v4 is release or do they plan on extending the graph a little bit more so that it covers an entire decade of failure to meet deadlines?

Honestly no clue, but who are we kidding. V4 in 2019?
They can barely manage the first 2 weeks of 2017.

We can see the cutbacks everywhere.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Added another KS success story to go alongside the belt.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there a David Braben voodoo doll in that picture yet? I can't parse the whole thing without having a stroke

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

so many memories in this picture.
My favorite remains mae demming.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FUD-free development timeline right here, corrected to reflect the refactored "start dates" as demanded by things such as new studios opening and whatnot

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Someone overlay a graph of every failed release date.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed posted:

Someone overlay a graph of every failed release date.

That's what he did

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
That's not an imperative sentence, it's declarative

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
Can you fly to, and land on, planets yet ?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Can you fly to, and land on, planets yet ?

Yes, they contracted an outside company to release a module that allows that, you can find it here: https://www.elitedangerous.com/

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Galarox posted:

Ok just because I can and there are some peeps who haven't seen it and Beet mentioned it:

wow, my old AV *did* make it someplace after all.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

wow, my old AV *did* make it someplace after all.

Of course :)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

Yes, they contracted an outside company to release a module that allows that, you can find it here: https://www.elitedangerous.com/

How much do you think it would cost to just license Frontier's Cobra engine? That's the only way I can think Star Citizen could be salvaged in any reasonable period of time.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
please no, i'm just about breaking my head when CIG 'switches' from CryEngine to Lumberyard, but turns out it's not actually a switch? And in fact there's no effort at all, since it's more of a 'rebranding' than a 'recoding'? Some graphs made in Paint?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

toanoradian posted:

please no, i'm just about breaking my head when CIG 'switches' from CryEngine to Lumberyard, but turns out it's not actually a switch? And in fact there's no effort at all, since it's more of a 'rebranding' than a 'recoding'? Some graphs made in Paint?

Yep. I imagine someone at CIG crapped their pants when CryTek started to crash and burn so they entered into an expensive deal with amazon that means that they'll get lumberyard support for the exact same codebase when CryTek goes bust.

Obviously when asked about the issue CIG stated that nothing was wrong, everything was fine, please buy more ships.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Chalks posted:

Yep. I imagine someone at CIG crapped their pants when CryTek started to crash and burn so they entered into an expensive deal with amazon that means that they'll get lumberyard support for the exact same codebase when CryTek goes bust.

Obviously when asked about the issue CIG stated that nothing was wrong, everything was fine, please buy more ships.

It would be awesome if Crytek would announce a revolutionary engine, that would change the way of gaming as we know it.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Most open development ever, where an engine change was only admitted once people noticed it on the splash screen a year later. Where the actual relationship with Amazon came from being pressed by journalists and has never been reflected in their actual statements. Where the actual changes to the engine were only discussed deep in the forums of a direct rival game by one of the lower level coders; with none of this reflected in their missives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sillybones posted:

Most open development ever, where an engine change was only admitted once people noticed it on the splash screen a year later. Where the actual relationship with Amazon came from being pressed by journalists and has never been reflected in their actual statements. Where the actual changes to the engine were only discussed deep in the forums of a direct rival game by one of the lower level coders; with none of this reflected in their missives.

The Pledge is truly their guiding ethos.