Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy gently caress

this is why we're years away form any silly "ELE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

Haven't cut any dumb gifs in ages, let's see what the lastest AtV brings...

Oh...

Uh...

Ah...

All Gold. Thanks.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Combat Theory posted:

Beat me to it

People have been sucking dicks for ages, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bayonnefrog posted:

"imagine what ccp would do with Eve with 200mil"

Three words Walking in Stations

lol

Buying White Wolf was pretty drat amazing. Sitting on the corpse was less so. Their desire to come up with the next best thing nearly hosed up their money printer, and they should have licensed as much of it as they could, while they could.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/w04PFgx.gifv

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I'm partial to "rainbow drenched meadow of denial" myself.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/VirtualCapt/status/1008718396769177601

from 0:37 in his youtube video about the new spaceship jpeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyX1-7vpDbA&t=37s

Kinda blows me away that he can blow this off at the same time acknowledging that it could be a direct copy. just wow.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Virtual Captain posted:

Kinda blows me away that he can blow this off at the same time acknowledging that it could be a direct copy. just wow.

Remember when that unfinished game Transverse had ships that sorta looked like Star Citizen ships. Then it was a low effort cash grab to ride on CIG's success.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Good doggie.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
EVE was developed by Goons specifically to cultivate as a community in order to ruin Star Citizen's community.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just made an effort post on youtube, so i'm drat well sharing it here. Let me know if i got anything wrong.

This is the post i was responding to:

quote:

Just rewatched the trailer . All we see is in 3.2 exept ground combat AI (delayed to 3.3 due to some bugs) and the capital ship (Javelin at the end). All those comment saying that isn't in the game, actually never played it . Cite me 1 thing that is not in the game yet .

And my response.

quote:

Ok, here we go.
First 8 seconds - just text
To 14 seconds - planet in space. Yeah, ok, there is a planet and 3 planetoids in game. So, yes, you can look at a planet from space.
To 18 seconds - That sunrise looks a bit suspect. What do you call the video equivalent of a photoshop? Not sure i've seen a sunrise like that in SC.
To 24 seconds - Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think any sights like that are in game.
To 26 - flying through an asteroid field, yes!
To 27 - something long and thin in space... erm, not seen that in SC. Again, feel free to correct me if its something in game or will be in 3.2. (edit - or is that port olisar?)
To 28 - Ship landing, people standing around and walking, yes. But misleading. Implies you can place and lie on strechers and be treated - not in game, will not be in game.
To 32 - taking off from planet yes, but that scenery, not in game, so you can't actually see that.
To 34 - oh, is that the long thing from 27? Is that Port Olisar?
To 38 - walking around a cityscape. Nope, not in game. Its probably reuse of assets from the other demo CIG did with the Blade Runner type city.
To 41 - Port Olisar again?
To 42 - suiting up. Yes, although not sure those exact animations are in game.
To 45 - NPCs at shops putting guns on counters. Erm, not like that. Not looking like that. Still, that *might* be on the cards for 3.2? Seem to recall something about shops... CIG do love their shops.
To 50 - ship in space, ok. That's a Caterpillar right? Flyable, hull complete, lacking gameplay for its role though.
To 51 - do a barrel role, yes, although that's not normal flight in SC as you can pitch and yaw without rolling.
To 52 - Standing on a planet with a gun. If that pose is in, then ok.
To 56 - ship crashing into another ship, yup. That effect though...
To 1:06 - Pure demo, characters do not move and shoot like that.
To 1:12 - Space pew pew - yes.
To 1:15 - like at 28, highly misleading, especially if you look at what is happening in the background with the people.
To 1:19 - standing on a bridge and stepping forward. Not sure about those animations, i suspect pulled from SQ42. You can have multiple people on a ship, but nothing for them to do except stand around saluting.
To 1:27 - I see a Javelin (in production, not flyable), an Idris (in production, not flyable), and... nope, can't identify the middle one, but ill take a stab at it being another one that isn't available to fly.
After that, just text and logo.

So, i think we can clearly say your statement is factually wrong as I have cited at least several things that are not in game now (you said not in the game yet) and not in 3.2. Just a reminder of what is planned for 3.2 (assuming things don't get pushed back like bind culling and AI) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Furthermore we see things that may never be in game.

Lastly, the things we see that are in game, are not exactly anything special. Ground combat, space combat, space station, flying ship. Its pretty, but nothing new. Many games are pretty, just look around.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Remember when that unfinished game Transverse had ships that sorta looked like Star Citizen ships. Then it was a low effort cash grab to ride on CIG's success.

This is the funniest aspect of it. The nerdrage those dudes let fly over what were arguably less blatant ripoffs was hilarious and should be thrown in their faces.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

And my response.

That is a painful amount of effort to spend on people who've shown repeatedly that they can't observe objective reality.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

Someone is saying, "Rip off my logo. Look, have this white on black version."

Also, who care about you and your record, 'noobifier'?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

That is a painful amount of effort to spend on people who've shown repeatedly that they can't observe objective reality.

And there's some distance between the relative effect of the bullshots and what's actually available in game, but there's a fairly pernicious angle of devaluation taking place amongst the peons that they're hoping to attract from the 'barely engaged' masses that are supposed to actually fund this beyond release.

Consider the 'starter' pack for $50, In most games this is basic price of entry, but within SC you're barely a step up from the grass, but you live in the same universe as a guy with a loving carrier. And he didn't work for it, he just paid for it.

The shocking truth of the Libertarian space fantasy is that you have to really incentivize people to bolster your dumb leadership dream, and they're throwing blocks ahead of the people who're going to provide for the post-launch revenue*.

* Stop laughing, this is something that Chris _really believes_.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Yep. I'm certainly not laughing - I've heard him loudly proclaim his certainty more than once of how many copies he's going to sell of this piece of poo poo. (SQ42) He immediately places himself amongst the Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto income bracket as if he's even remotely qualified to compete.

He truly believes he's making a game and that it will sell at the top tier because once in 1990 people who worked adjacent to him made something that was relatively popular in its day.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I thought the best part of last year's dumpster fire (besides the game crashing, having to repeat it all and of course the wheels falling off the buggy, and uh...well you get my point) is Robert's chuckling and hubris demonstrating this entire debacle. You see that crater...

Yeah Roberts, I'll hold your beer anytime.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Hav posted:

Chris believes... the backers believe... but

There is literally zero reason why a regular jackoff like me would want to play this game when (read if) it launches. The absurd pricing and lovely design decisions will leave new players with the feeling it is a joke at best or a toxic marketing scam at worst.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-files-criminal-charges-against-theranoss-elizabeth-holmes-ramesh-balwani-1529096005

In other news: the former founder of a company who promised investors groundbreaking and revolutionary blood testing equipment, and was 100% lying about the capabilities of their product, is being charged with fraud.

SharesPost != Kickstarter. Not even close.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Virtual Captain posted:

Post it to /r/EVE

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

I thought the best part of last year's dumpster fire (besides the game crashing, having to repeat it all and of course the wheels falling off the buggy, and uh...well you get my point) is Robert's chuckling and hubris demonstrating this entire debacle. You see that crater...

Yeah Roberts, I'll hold your beer anytime.

:lol:

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who saw the inherent stupidity in how Chris bragged about the "size" of the crater and how you could fit all of Skyrim in it. Not just that there would be no actual content or hand-crafted fun times in said crater - that goes without saying. It was how Chris seemed to think that somehow, in the intervening years between when he last "made" a game and today, because technology has moved forward things can be made bigger, and that he was somehow pioneering the efforts to make "craters as big as Skyrim" like it's uncharted territory.

But the stupidity of Chris Roberts goes even deeper than that. The thing about space games is that space is empty. In a normal game you exist as an entity on a map. The map is a certain size, has certain entities on it, and takes up a certain amount of drive space to represent. In a space game, you're simply a set of coordinates. So is everything else in space. Things are shown/rendered based on your relative coordinates to the other object(s). It's the same thing with procedural generation - it allows the CPU to extrapolate a huge amount of space from a seed and an algorithm, which means very little is stored on the drive.

The result is mathematically huge maps, but nothing of consequence in them. And this isn't due to the wizardry of one Chris Roberts - it's due to the work of everyone else in the industry who isn't him. Space games were always huge - no matter how limited the PC was - because space was treated as an abstraction. Think about the staggeringly huge universe of Elite Dangerous that sits on a few GB of storage because it's no more than mathematical extrapolation.

To point to a planet in Elite and say "That's a bigger area than Grand Theft Auto" would an amazingly ignorant display of not just gaming conventions in general, but of everything about PCs in general.

Leave it to Chris to push the boundaries of stupidity.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I know the penalty for plagiarism in the Stimpire is brutal and agonizing - the only question I have is what type of electricity is involved?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

ManofManyAliases posted:

SharesPost != Kickstarter. Not even close.

It's more of an answer to many of your compatriots that a scam would never hire hundreds of people, have multiple offices and be actively working on an actual product...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: This Week In Tech: A Bad Week for the Internet

In a discussion about E3 takeaways, Dan Patterson at Tech Republic talks about $27000 ship packs to crowdfund vaporware. (More free publicity. If there's any smart viewers out there they'll fact check and possibly back.)

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Someone anonymously PM Dolvak and tell him that we ARE the EvE mods and EvE always has been part of Derek Smart's anti-SC conspiracy.

I wanted to cut Dolvak some slack since he started dropping CIG disses a while back. But he’s down with the Beet ban, protects CIG embeds like Starloop, told all kinds of lies of late and refused to make payment after commissioning a Bear Meme. (I mean I know it wasn’t a Daztek original, Dolvak, but at least I tried...)

So much bad faith moderation. So many lies. He’s still the same Dolvak of the Big MoMA’s House era. I was wrong to hope otherwise. I regret wasting Goons’ time trying to get them to share my delusion.

Agony Aunt posted:

Just made an effort post on youtube, so i'm drat well sharing it here. Let me know if i got anything wrong.

This is the post i was responding to:

And my response.

But this can’t be true, Agony Aunt. After all the trailer backlash, Starloop even sat down to write this helpful subreddit post to show just how much more there was to it than we even knew!

Scruffpuff posted:

Yep. I'm certainly not laughing - I've heard him loudly proclaim his certainty more than once of how many copies he's going to sell of this piece of poo poo. (SQ42)

100 million people will be playing these games in 5 years. Ignore the fake news, trolls, and paid shills out there.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I know the penalty for plagiarism in the Stimpire is brutal and agonizing - the only question I have is what type of electricity is involved?
The worst kind. It's always the worst kind.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

monkeytek posted:

It's more of an answer to many of your compatriots that a scam would never hire hundreds of people, have multiple offices and be actively working on an actual product...

Give MoMA a break - the only place he has left to hide is behind the smallest of technicalities. I think we should let him have these microscopic "victories" from time to time.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Drunk Theory posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

This is the funniest aspect of it. The nerdrage those dudes let fly over what were arguably less blatant ripoffs was hilarious and should be thrown in their faces.

Yeah but Transverse was a scam though :smuggo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Everything is wrong. For starters, you made an effort post off YouTube.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I know exactly what "FUD" means and how to define it based on its lexical usage - but I have no idea what it stands for.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Yeah, this is really true. Chris has a legendary gift for motivating his artists.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I know exactly what "FUD" means and how to define it based on its lexical usage - but I have no idea what it stands for.

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt

Its own definition inherently proves we're not spreading it. For sane people, Star Citizen, despite being a scam, is still Fearlessly and Eagerly Anticipated, Known With Certainty That It Will Fail, and Undoubtedly the Biggest Failure in PC Gaming History.

FAEAKWCTIWFAUTBFIPG, as it were.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 18, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol:

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who saw the inherent stupidity in how Chris bragged about the "size" of the crater and how you could fit all of Skyrim in it. Not just that there would be no actual content or hand-crafted fun times in said crater - that goes without saying. It was how Chris seemed to think that somehow, in the intervening years between when he last "made" a game and today, because technology has moved forward things can be made bigger, and that he was somehow pioneering the efforts to make "craters as big as Skyrim" like it's uncharted territory.

Given we don't have much of a game to discuss besides the obvious fiascoes (I'm not really sure that is proper plural) that have taken place during this clusterfuck I'll spend a few more words on these 18 companies.

In short, you have globetrotting Roberts showing up at random meetings. And that is the law of the land and filters down. It really is that drat simple. 475 employees (and based on experience probably 10% are the doing the best they can, the rest collect a paycheck but that is another topic on management principles and a Dilbert comic) have collectively created a tire fire that can light up the moon.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

I know. Its why i requested a ban from the SC reddit sub. I kept wasting my time doing things like this. Now i'm doing it on youtube.... damnnit!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

monkeytek posted:

Multiple people have tried suing, involving AGs, FTC, investigators, firms, etc because of remorse, jealousy and false thinking about CIG. In at least 4 years, absolutely nothing came of these pokes except for a contract dispute with CryTek who - after seeing $180 mil with stars in their eyes - are trying to get a piece of the pie to soften their downfall. Some begrudged employees have left CIG in a flutter and yet, not one of them claimed "scam" or "something fishy going on." Even Eric Peterson - a public staple early-on - left and wished CIG the best of well wishes as he went to go develop his own game. CIGs offices are tight and highly visible, and word does travel. Is it possible to pool the wool over 799 eyes? Yeah, kinda? But that no one - not one person - would speak up and say something or blow the whistle that backers' funds were wasted in a failing venture? C'mon.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

Multiple people have tried suing, involving AGs, FTC, investigators, firms, etc because of remorse, jealousy and false thinking about CIG. In at least 4 years, absolutely nothing came of these pokes except for a contract dispute with CryTek who - after seeing $180 mil with stars in their eyes - are trying to get a piece of the pie to soften their downfall. Some begrudged employees have left CIG in a flutter and yet, not one of them claimed "scam" or "something fishy going on." Even Eric Peterson - a public staple early-on - left and wished CIG the best of well wishes as he went to go develop his own game. CIGs offices are tight and highly visible, and word does travel. Is it possible to pool the wool over 799 eyes? Yeah, kinda? But that no one - not one person - would speak up and say something or blow the whistle that backers' funds were wasted in a failing venture? C'mon.

:allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

meh, you're not even trying anymore.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm glad funny MoMA is back

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is it better if its a scam or failing due to horrible incompetence (Goons)?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

No one would speak up?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lyfb1/david_jennison_former_lead_character_artist_in/