Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
What a wet fart of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
what does pocket carrier mean

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffyhawk posted:

Nickname for the 'light carrier', which was around half the length of one of the larger carriers and might have been a merchant vessel before mobilizing.

We're using it to differentiate a _small_ carrier against the largely vaporware Caterpillar.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

:sad:
They can only wheel out a trailer, 90% of which is boring and generic, and the other 10% shows stuff that still aren't in anything they've built in 7 years.

So, Mark, what is the third choice here, because nobody wants this now, but everybody knows this is never going to reach as high as even a "meh" review score.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

So, Mark, what is the third choice here,

Buy out by Microsoft.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffyhawk posted:

In a game where bigger = better (and more expensive) being allowed to buy a full-sized carrier from the get-fo would be too unbalanced so, before they sell that, they must introduce a smaller, more sensible, yet ultimately obsolete solution first. Thus, pocket carrier.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
funnily enough, the term pocket battleship comes from a type of german warship built to comply with the treaty of versailles. basically cruisers with big battleship guns.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Tens of millions spent on performance capture, several years for rigging and cleanup, and all of the facial animation is barely on par with the first underwater :gary: speech that was animated manually by a single employee with a webcam.

lol

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffyhawk posted:

I think it is a kind of kangaroo.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Missed this completely. Can someone share what they did announce? SQ42 date?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dante80 posted:

literally nothing

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Citcon revenue update and comparison to previous years.

Usually I mark the start time of the sale by looking for a very obvious upward spike in funding. For this year, there was a small spike at 16:05 UTC right at the start of the con, and a larger spike at 19:30 UTC which presumably marked something becoming available. To forestall any possible objections from Citizens I have presented revenue plots for 2018 using both start times.

It's too early to call it right now, but we might need to release the Kraken posthaste.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

iospace posted:

So, caught up with the thread.

If I'm reading right, 4k UEC is about what one could expect to make, without much effort, in an hour, and it would take 25 hours to buy a brand starter ship?

:psyduck:

Does anyone have a spreadsheet handy of "ships with firm UEC costs and cash cost?" Thanks.
this is from the event
the aegis hammerhead is 21,000,000 UEC and $650 usd in store...at 4k UEC per mission, loving hell that's 5500 missions
the prospector was 1.6+UEC and is $150USD
even a variant of a starter ship the aurora LX was 200,000UEC

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Kramjacks posted:

The fact that there are so few posts now that the con(the convention, not the other con) is over, and that there wasn't actually that much posting during the con, is really indicative of how boring and empty the whole thing was. They showed nothing interesting, and besides the technical problems and lovely presentation there's nothing to talk about.

They played it safer than they ever have, and that is both good and bad for Star Citizen.

It’s good because Chris, for perhaps the first CitCon ever, didn’t overcommit non-stop. He resisted his worst urges and didn’t add much new Engineering Debts. (Well, aside from all that mundane item-level interaction that will never scale.)

I’m surprised, given that they showed some of the “Hab” work-in-progress and showed planet-based Hangars, that he didn’t start pre-selling more real estate. He talked it up somewhat, mentioned a future of different sized (priced) player housing and theorized that players might want to own multiple homes on multiple planets. But he didn’t start selling yet. Yay for personal growth.

But all that caution was bad, too, because people go to CitizenCon for two reasons - to get hyped, and to fellowship with other backers. Attending was a very expensive and inconvenient ask. Anybody there was likely out $1000+ dollars, to say nothing of disruptions to their jobs. Whatever fun they might’ve had on their bar crawls and hangouts, it probably still felt like a letdown to more than not. Nowhere was that more obvious than during the awkward sessions that Eric Davis had to emcee, made moreso by his calling attention to it.

Chris insists that it’s still early days and I’m sure he wants to believe it, but more than any other Citizen fan event before, it felt like people just want it done. They’d have been wiser presenting a third of what they presented. Lorville, the face tech demo, the flight model updates and the Squadron trailer were all that they needed, and if they’d focused on presenting those better, they’d have probably had just enough to keep a slow steady buzz. I think a 500-800 seat theater in Vegas on a Friday — without scavenger hunts, Org booths, giant ship models and awkward cosplay — would’ve made for a much funner, easier show that fans would’ve been far more excited to attend. They’d have had cheaper rooms and airfare, too.

There’s probably some interesting stuff to unpack in what was presented. Little things we missed here and there. But after skipping Gamescom, after the year they’ve had, after they’d hyped this show so much, they needed this to be perfect, not perfunctory.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Goblin posted:

citizens, prepare for glory!

*fat dumpy thumb man comes on stage and says "sorry it's not coming any time soon"*

yes! hell yeas gently caress, gently caress oh my god

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Actual space game, that you can play, for the high high price of zero loving dollars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw

Not even loving with you, there's torrent links in the description that are 100% legal and you can enjoy for literally zero loving dollars.

Well yeha that's probably free cause it's 100% Battlestar Galactica assets, down to the title screen and everything, and I don't think the devs have an actual license and just flat out can't sel it :v:

Looks loving amazing, like everything I wanted from a BSG game :eyepop:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

that's a cheap looking model

Yes it is. It looks like vacuformed plastic. Nothing had good definition, the edges are weirdly rounded and the paintjob is very basic. There’s little to no shading and no weathering which makes it look like a cheap GI Joe toy or something.

This is supposed to be a high profile show piece and as such it sucks.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Aegis Hammerhead: 21429600 ($650) - 32968 UEC/$

MISC Prospector: 1620750 ($155) - 10,456 UEC/$

Origin 85X: 616000 ($50) - 12,320 UEC/$

Aurora LX: 220900 ($30) - 7,363 UEC/$

Purchased: 1000 UEC/$

Played: 2000 UEC/Hour

So in addition to higher-level ships having higher prices (which is reasonable), it is more inefficient to grind for them even on a proportional basis. One might almost say that this confers an advantage to those who purchase ships with cash -- almost as if, in some sense, they were able to PAY in order to WIN. :thunk:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

boviscopophobic posted:

Usually I mark the start time of the sale by looking for a very obvious upward spike in funding. For this year, there was a small spike at 16:05 UTC right at the start of the con, and a larger spike at 19:30 UTC which presumably marked something becoming available. To forestall any possible objections from Citizens I have presented revenue plots for 2018 using both start times.

It's too early to call it right now, but we might need to release the Kraken posthaste.

Can we sell enough squid rings to save star citizen?

Maybe we have finally hit peak oil, and the decline begins.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dante80 posted:

Chris Roberts is really excited by his train set.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

boviscopophobic posted:

They spent more than ever to make less than ever.

G0RF posted:

“It’s Saturation”

Late in the cycle I can't sell
finding new buyers gets hard as hell
I've been shilling all day, can't close the sale
I think the sea’s fished out of whales

Can’t keep racing on an empty tank
With a hundred trailers for a game full of jank
Response rates high with a bad result
Everyone says that I’m in cult

Oh no it’s finally here
What once was dim
Is finally clear

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Referral code ain’t been used in weeks
When the hell did this thing peak?
It’s getting so hard just to play the game
It was once my pride but now my shame

With the Free Fly on I decided to stream
So I could talk some more chumps into backin’ this dream
Sherman showed up, and a half dozen goons
For 10 FPS on an empty moon

Oh no, it’s finally here
Maybe I should
Should’ve listen to Beer?

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Saturate me baby

Spirits sink when I count the cash
Buying my fleet in this pile of trash
Pennies on the buck if I pump and dump
Lord just send me one last chump

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Oh no not again
It hurts so bad
Now I understand

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
„So much hate on other streams and forums.

I look forward to the day people play this and realize that all of this was in game the whole time. Jaws will drop and people will act as though they have always supported this game. Cannot wait to watch the haters flip and at the same time .... I look forward to all of us enjoying SQ42 together.

This trailer was amazing.“

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

G0RF posted:

They spent more than ever to make less than ever.

Nah, boviscopophobic, while doing a great job, did not take into account all the profits from the big bennie noodles food truck.

Crobbear will be rolling in piles of cash from that.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 11, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I missed the last "road to release" presentation.

I started watching it now. Only a few minutes in and what a bunch of bullshit the thumb man spews.

"We are releasing every three months"
No you're not, you're playing with the verb "release" here. You're making a pre-alpha development build public and patching it up. This is not what "release" means in any game development context ever.

"We are running a live game"
Nope. Not close to a game.

"We had an epiphany"
No self-respecting developer would dare call that an "epiphany". Your "game" missing gameplay and running like poo poo because you prioritized rear end-backwards asset development is not something that dawns on you 7 years into development.

You absolute moron.

Why is this lunatic allowed in public?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

OK GOONS

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LN0TsXLcfc :siren:

Citcon 2018, low lights reel, for those who missed it or don't want to watch for 2 hours.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"You can tell they rushed to put the trailer together, but this won't be the final. I look at the content and what new parts of the single player experience they showed, which was impressive. Graphics and animations can be polished that's the easy part. Creating content is harder."

Oh, and watch this https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/anyone-else-totaly-disappointed-to-citizencon-keyn
:yarg:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Needs sound

https://twitter.com/PimpMasterYoda1/status/1050154840163266560

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

CR said the game is released?

Cool.

Ok gaming media, time to write your reviews of this "game".

Headline can be "CR declares SC released!"
Sub heading "And it stinks!"

I think the actual headline the gaming magazines and review sites need to consider goes along the lines of "Chris Roberts thinks Star Citizen does not need a release".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ZenMaster posted:

OK GOONS

Citcon 2018, low lights reel, for those who missed it or don't want to watch for 2 hours.

Nice job as always.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There's something that stood out imo in this years gameplay demonstration. The overwhelming amount of small/cosmetic bugs and glitches.

I think every software developer (especially devs who are working on their first projects) fell into the trap of "I'll fix this later". The typical "//TODO: fix this sometime"-comments, because it's not a blocker, only a glitch, happens only sometimes etc. pp. and simply a pain in the rear end to debug and fix. So instead of the "pain in the rear end"-work, you want to make progress, because that feels good and looks good on the project tracker, so everything that doesn't completely break the system "I can fix later".

In my experience, most of the time these projects get into a state where the sheer amount of glitches and small bugs (with known workarounds) make the final product a pain to work with/use, and actually fixing these things half a year later when you are no longer emotionally invested in the module they appear in is a very, very tedious task.

Apart from the hard crash during the coffee thing, the amount of small glitches (not gamebreaking bugs like the ramp, or ships simply exploding without any reason, falling through the world etc.) was awful. The barkeeper scene especially, with all the teleporting/flickering in-and-out-of-existence bottles etc.

Mind you, I have no experience if this is normal business in game development, but I can't remember any other early access or alpha game I saw having so many glitches.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Morphix posted:

"YEARS IN THE MAKING... SQUADRON 42 is Coming! Do you want it NOW or do you want it AWESOME?"

ooof

You just don't get it, MorphFUDix..

"Most games the size and scope of star citizen take 8 to 10 years.
Also another point people seem to forget is the first year of the game, CR said wasn't spent on making the game. So it's 5 years of development, and for 5 years only. I think they are making good time and good progress. CR said they turned off bind culling, and that was causing most the glitches. As far as adding content, right now they need to get the servers stable.
Until frames are stable, and the back end is working, it's not a good idea to be cramming in features, and then your the type of person that would just yell feature creep. Once the proc tech is online, adding more life to the planets would be easy.
You were talking about where the helmets and guns come from, eventually we will have lockers and the system will be better. I have a special emote for people like you, the snowflake, because nothing star citizen does will make people like you happy. For me as long as the servers are stable, I can live with."

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

OK GOONS

:five:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

OK GOONS

Perfect :allears:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Did they release 3.3 then? Is that what the demo was showing?

I know we've said this before, and been proved wrong, but I really do think yesterdays citcon is the beginning of the end. No new magic feature from Roberts, no hype about some third party hardware, no new locations. Just a load of nothing.

They must really be banking on the carrier sales.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I might catch that star citizen show if it comes to Netflix

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ZenMaster posted:

OK GOONS

Good show

I mean, uh

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Some people look at CitizenCon and see only despair.

I look at CitizenCon and I see the dawning of a great hope. The hope that at least some of those 11,600 people who watched the live stream have, as a result, decided not to grow neck beards.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

ZenMaster posted:

OK GOONS

Cheerios, no way I have the patience to watch entire stream so this is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
An underappreciated tidbit from some patch notes, quoted many pages back:

Store Citizer: The only workaround is suicide