Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I see no reason to nitpick or disbelieve their claims that the integration of their stuff from Cryengine to Lumberyard went smoothly. By all accounts Lumberyard is just Cryengine + Amazon's networking stuff. If the majority of the stuff that Amazon added or changed was in the networking and the core & rendering stuff was left alone then yes, it should be easy for CIG to keep their changes and get it working while still using CIG's existing networking code & servers. If they said it didn't take a ton of time and it demonstrably happened then I think that we can take their word for it in this instance. I don't believe the "2 guys did it in 2 hours on their lunchbreak" part of their claim, 1-2 days is probably more reasonable.

Also it is possible to twist and turn yourself in micro-gravity. You can't add any angular momentum but you can change your orientation. Chris Roberts was right in this instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcno_XL4RU&t=42s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

I thought the other guy (Lord British?) was saying yeah you could twist and change orientation but not change your overall position; ie, if floating stationary in the middle of a big roomChris thought you could shift your weight in such a way as to go in a particular direction and reach a wall, the other guy was telling him in no uncertain terms he was wrong and you'd just spin on the spot

someone link the vid?

EDIT: here's the vid. I think they're sorta talking across purposes TBH, but Garriott seems to know what he's talking about and Chris is a lot more confused

It's been a while since I've seen that. I had forgotten what was actually said and was going by the repeated consensus of this thread. You are right, Garriott specifically mentions being able to turn around like a cat but not changing your overall spin which Roberts is contesting. My bad.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Madcosby posted:

My gimmick is that i point out the endless hypocrisy in the thread and laugh more at goons trying their hardest to hate everything cig does than i laugh at Roberts.

How much are you in for comando?

Also, i dont have friends in cig but i do talk to someone who works there, and she says goons (people registered in the goon guild on their forums) have spent 55k since 2013.

Lol

Was sitting on that for a few months. Happy new years

Ask your not-a-friend-but-someone-who-tells-you-about-the-inner-workings-of-CIG-for-reasons if they can provide the list of SA posters who have spent money on star citizen spaceships and torpedoes. We need to hunt down and silence these awful rebels. We must be of one mind, one opinion as dictated by Overlord Smart.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
TBH getting the engine free from Amazon/Lumberyard instead of having to pay future royalty + licensing fees to Crytek sounds like a good business reason for doing a fake switchover.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Unless it's going to change your life, like Star Citizen.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What the hell am I watching? Dude is like 1 step away from sexually molesting her on stream.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Is this wtfosaurus clown really the same as the Rockstar Seduction guy or is that just some rando comment that everyone's taking too seriously?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Goobs posted:

i dont feel bad for her, if you look at her twitter/instagram she loves the attention..its full of her in slutty cosplays smooshing her tits together to fleece nerds. kind of like a CIG sale.

Wow.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's almost like it's hard for women to be confrontational even when someone has crossed the hell out of a line in a society where a woman being confrontational is punished in a myriad of different ways. She probably let one thing go, thinking "They'll think I'm a bitch, and he's drunk anyway, it's just one thing." And then more and more things happened until she slow-boil-frogged into a spot where someone felt like they should physically throw his rear end out.

The solution is to buy more Star Citizen starships.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Regrettable posted:

This was a huge issue for me during the stream. Also, I might have been the only person in the chat saying he should leave her the gently caress alone.

Yeah. It seemed like most of the chat was cheering him on.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
All the other articles are plagiarized without attribution but it's okay because they're just there to fill up the shilling website until I write more articles.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I'm pretty sure that further interactions with the Thargoid ship will come through completing community goals to either develop a translation device or a module that will allow players to use the wake portals that the Thargoid ships open up. Someone tried flying through one of their portals but was pushed out. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the coded functionality for interaction with the ships/portals are already present in the game but the players currently don't have access to the ship modules necessary to initiate it.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I liked Chappie.

Sorry dude. Your feelings and opinions are incorrect.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Nope, the Prometheus was built by Weyland Corp before the merger with the Yutani Corporation. Nostromo was built afterwards. Besides that, Gateway Station (from Aliens) is cramped and lovely and built out of garbage, and that didn't even begin construction until after Ripley left Earth for the last time.

A mobile refinery and a military space carrier are not going to look like a top of the line luxury research vessel just like the interior of a Tesla is not going to look like the interior of a UPS truck. Yet both those things co-exist side by side in our world and it doesn't break our minds trying to comprehend how we could have electric cars with high tech computers and have gasoline powered mail trucks on the same roads at the same time.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

What is the most alien force we've seen in Star Citizen?

The backers.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What about 2.7?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

TheAgent posted:

hello

• backers will be able to "early access" (alpha test) the sqlude
  • this will be considered the "preview" release version (mvp I guess)
  • this will also count as the first episode
  • in order to alpha test other episodes/content, backers will have to pay
  • SQ42 is "tied deeply" into SC techwise/network
  • currently no plans for completely offline play
  • ships, skins and other cash shop items cross over game modes
  • "original vision" (internally called OV or CV?) candidate sometime in 2019 with promised sq42 feature list

I find this all very believable. Especially the part about backers having to pay even more money to alpha test the software for them.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Breetai posted:

Can't be. Some backers have already paid for two games. Including one of the games as the tutorial for the other is such a slam dunk case that every lawyer on earth would rocket into the stratosphere through the sheer amount of jizz they'd be uncontrollably spewing in anticipation of the case. Not even CIG is that dumb.

I don't think you understand backers.

They will gladly pay again and they will try to convince you that this is a Good Thing.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The greatest part is that if it is true and SQ42 as a standalone game thing is canceled then they don't have to release anything until the full Star Citizen multiplayer persistent universe is completed, which will be Any Day Now.

You see, this is a good thing because it will give Chris Roberts the time he needs to polish up the singleplayer portion of the game and story to be even greater.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
CIG is missing out on a grand opportunity to add Cheat Detection as a $150,000,000.00 stretch goal.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

also, wtf is krispy Kreme

Imagine donuts but made out of sugar and coated with glazed sugar.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Beautiful. Spoiling unrelated Space Movies can get you banned from Star Citizen and all of your jpegs forcibly refunded.

I think you've been one upped, Derek Smart. All you did was voice a negative opinion about SC on an unrelated website. This person failed to spoil a star wars movie on Discord.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get the bitching about multiple of these big rear end ships on screen. That's why there's instancing on GPUs.

That said, the poor sap that needs to create different LOD models of that poo poo. Better make sure everything at the work desk is wireless, otherwise you'll find him hanging somewhere rather quickly.

Lower detailed models for LOD?

I don't think you understand fidelity, mate.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Being careful and stealthy and having good positioning and awareness in PUBG will carry you much farther than just having mad fps shootin skills.

Then you get to the top 2 and spray wildly in front of you like a panicked idiot and are unable to hit the other guy who is 2 feet away.

I cri evrytiem.

This is as opposed to Star Citizen, which is not a game that actually exists.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Kellanved posted:

He has the dune sequels on display. It all makes sense now.

That was the most disgusting thing about the room.

Also Hunters of Dune didn't come out that long ago! 2006. 8 years ago. This picture is only 8 years (or less) ago.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
"Will the moons actually be rotating around the planets?"

"I don't know"

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I still have no idea what the gently caress Item 2.0 is or what it is supposed to do, I only know that it feels like they've been talking about it and working on it for 3 years now.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MilesK posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5835j6/what_exactly_is_items_20/

Umm.. Gravity goo? Also it requires CryEngine to be completely rewritten?

Reddit posted:

Nearly everything in the game will be an 'item' of some kind. To achieve the complexity, functionality, and efficient communication between items, they had to rip out the existing entity system in CryEngine, and replace it with their own one, designed specifically for the task of managing 'things' in the game. An item could be a rock, a jacket, a ship, a space station, a scope, a coffee mug.. you get the idea. An item has attributes, slots for other items, specific logic, and a set of actions relevant to the type of item it is. The item system must be able to represent, manage, and manipulate every type of thing in the game, and do it well. It must also handle all of this in beautiful harmony with the networking part of the engine (which is also being gutted and rebuilt because it cannot scale to the needs of an open universe). The system CryEngine comes with didn't meet the requirements, so they ditched it. Item 2.0 is in development and is supposed to partner perfectly with the new StarNetwork module. In the end, what this all means is better performing game code on a much larger scale.

So it is basic core functionality that they turned into a buzzword and spent years not being able to implement.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Toblakai posted:

Well, you got me there. I have an acquaintance , who is a volunteer firefighter and for some fest here they gathered a bunch of stuff (I think they've cleaned a river from fallen branches and such) and burned it down. The only thing I was thinking was - weren't the firefighters supposed to extinguish the fires and not start them?

Sometimes you have to set things on fire to stop them from burning.

It is very much like game development.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Is this the denial and bargaining phase?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Truth has a strong anti-star citizen bias.

That is why I prefer alternative facts.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Now they are adding a ground racing mode?

Don't they have enough unimplemented, unplanned or just broken features and game modes?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Section 2.14.e of the GLA states that Crytek is responsible for implementing and maintaining gravity goo.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

XK posted:

I love the "Why is the suit being made public if it's legitimate?" defense.

They should have filed it with secret sealed documents to take it to the Shadow Courts instead of bringing the charges to the US Legal System which as we all know has been corrupted by Derek Smart and Goons.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

AP posted:

He was never really excited about Star Citizen from what I saw. The difference between having a universe you believe in because of childhood memories and a pile of crap you were under pressure to dream up before Thursday for a sale.

It's okay he got paid to archive lots of Wing Commander material while working at RSI.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The amount of users who have legal binding contracts with Crytek and who have or are planning on switching to Lumberyard without resolving or renegotiating those contracts is probably so small (1) it's not even worth considering defending it on the basis that it will impact future users.

Switching from CryEngine to Lumberyard is just one of the charges Crytek is making, there are other violations of the licensing agreement that they entered.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What I'm curious about is this claim that RSI "Bought out the Engine". Did RSI buy the complete engine and rights to it but Crytek is still holding them to the original terms of their GLA? What does RSI think they bought? Why doesn't Crytek think that they just flat out purchased the engine from them? Is RSI just talking out their asses or grossly mistaken about something and they never purchased the engine? (I believe that this is the most likely explanation)

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Terebus posted:

Haven't they been working on range based culling for over a year now?

Calculating distances is hard. Even harder than doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I fear the inability of backers to understand the basics of Tall Poppy Syndrome.