Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Raskolnikov posted:

Can someone translate 4chan?

I spent 11 years mastering the 4chan language and my advice to all people thinking about learning 4chan is DONT!! No one in 4chan will ever respect you or talk the language with you, making immersion especially difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I know some of you are MWO goons. Have you seen the Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A&list=LLy1GDK2ZYTwvh1h7UashS_g&index=1

This is cool but isn't super far off from the smoke and mirrors we've seen from CiG, the major difference being these people have actually shipped games before so I'm more forgiving of rough demos

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Eldragon posted:

And......

http://www.pcgamesn.com/mechwarrior-online-now-has-gold-plated-mechs-they-ll-set-you-back-500

If MW5 is good, it will be like the early days of MWO: They did it on accident, which they soon corrected and turned to poo poo.

Update: Due to me being uninformed and silly I originally called 'Community Warfare' 'Clan Wars', mixing up a promised feature of Mechwarrior Online for part of Battletech's lore. I also said the Timberwolf was a variant of a Mad Cat. In fact, they're both names for the same mech.

Cheers to those who pointed this out to me in the comments.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

What am I lookin at here toaster

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

:pgi: made a failed kickstarter bid to out-Star Citizen Star Citizen.

It was loving hilarious. They directly ripped ships off of the already ripped of Star Citizen ships, and space combat was a stretchgoal, not part of the core kickstarter.

All told that dumb trailer actually looks pretty good compared to some of CIG's work, which compounds the hilarity.

Wow I completely forgot about this poo poo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

So i still haven't seen a single "MMO" system in SC come online -- something every MMO ever has before literally anything else. You build it as early as possible because networking is really really hard, especially MMO-scale networking. You build *on top* of the constraints your networking infrastructure will impose, you can't work backwards to figure this out later, you just cannot on a project of this scale

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

That to me is a greater death knell than any of the 100s of reasons this project is spectacularly doomed

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tippis posted:

That's the funny thing. Bethesda has actually spent a decade and a half on trying to make that kind of thing work, and even when it does what it should, the behaviour this creates is a standing point of ribbing and derision in every game they release.

And yet, somehow, Chris and his band of merry graphical artists — none of which have any experience in doing anything remotely related — are supposed to invent something vastly better in a fraction of the time? How do the faithful ever make that leap of logic work?

while this point might work against me in the context of CiG, i have to say it: big businesses that are shipping profitable products (bethesda games) are rarely going to take the time to fix-up fundamental issues in their engines unless they really really _really_ have to, by the time you barely ship & patch & maintain the game you're working on right this second, plans and concept work are already happening for the next project, the game programmers don't all go into a big room and start putting stickies on the wall for things they wanna clean up tech-debt wise and get "ready" for the next project. the next project is already on the rails and the minute they are done with their current project they are yanked off and are prototyping elements of what's to come.

the time to get certain kinds of axiomatic engine-bound things right is usually the first time, anything else will be written off as a waste of money and time by the money wizards above you. a healthy company tries to balance tech debt against product deadlines, but rarely can core engine things just "be fixed". like, oh you want to change how the sorting works for this kind of scene? well that's impossible because the way the realtime lighting is set up for this scene means you'd have to use an entirely different scheme for how such and such is calculated and now you also have to update all the gizmos and level editing tools that work with said lights. or we could say "hey our engine isn't meant for this kind of scene that requires this kind of sorting, let's just hide the issues with it by doing $HACK and get this thing shipped"

this doesn't help paint CiG in a good light though because it's not their engine and CryTek is falling apart and CryEngine is already a crufty mess of very specific hacks to make Crysis-like games work. NOT big mega space mmos with no specific scope.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2016

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Someone who sees poo poo coming and has good info: "lol engine changing incoming next week hold onto your butts!!"

Someone who likes too much attention irrespective of the quality of their information or foresight: "hooo boy SOMETHING is coming!! Some day soon!"

You're on a goddamn boat with the fam on vacation on Christmas, if INRI and arfjohn are right about anyone here it's Derek smart specifically

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

You can't just make shifty vague posts all the time padded by 4 paragraphs of ancillary details that we all already know and act like you're bringing anything to the table

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Project sketch:

I like digital synthesizers and want to make my ownish design. This arduino-compatible has some interesting features and has the capabilities needed for some pretty cool processing:

However, I also want to be able to turn knobs and push buttons and stuff to adjust the sound. Making a functional keyboard from tactile switches is absolutely possible but I've thought of a dumber solution: buy one of these cheap chinese toy keyboards and mod the keys into input:

$1.50:

$5:

$10:

Now that's so cheap it almost feels stupid. I've bought one of each of these little plastic miracles, will let you know how it works out

ewe2 posted:

:mad: feel mai raeg omg downvoted

Please do, that looks fun. I've dabbled in home-made electronic instruments, but you really need the hardware to take the work out of timers etc, arduino is really limited that way.

"Arduino" is merely and primarily a software tool set that obscures the massive pain in the rear end that C embedded work flows are, performance has to do with the hardware of the Arduino compatible target. In this case the Teensy 3.x is an excellent choice, it is a Motorola 32bit ARM processor from the Kinetis K series and it is a good chip, it has an internal PLL that the maintainer has set up to run at 96mhz and there's even an i2c audio shield that can do DSP very very quickly

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Concept; the hack videos are a false flag so CIG can go back to closed development because HACKERS ARE RUINING THE GAME BY ALPHA ACCESS

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

DapperDon posted:

So here is where I need some clarification, does AI come before content creation or is it something that can run independently during development and dropped in later on the assets that are needed?

This depends entirely on your ability to make good gameplay programming architecture decisions, which often are at odds with your goals when trying to poo poo out tech demos built on older tech demos.

Whether or not AI is easy or sane to implement depends on your needs and avoiding too many framework shortcuts without special considerations, i.e.: does your game fudge too many boundaries or contracts the engine's core is built around? Is the AI trying to be fair and fun? Or brutally efficient? Does it need to be flashy or showy? Does the engine have existing AI optimizations? Is the "AI" a realtime actor of many in a complex realtime scene or just a job that runs to update database things every night that exist in the game world as spread sheets. Generally your AI needs access to a lot of elements in the game state to make good decisions about what is going to feel convincing and fun to the player, given how poorly defined the limits are on scope for any given environment or gameplay scenario there's no clear model for how the engine would not waste tons of cycles trying to schedule AI work time and gauge entity relevance in a huge confusingly specced tangled mess of ideas and concepts.

Knowing that they want to do a bunch of frankly impossible magic mesh scaling poo poo this also presents a lot of questions about what an AIs role and limits are in the magic SC endgame. It's basically undefined from a requirements perspective. They are so many decades away from a functioning scaling PU that there is no telling what the technical limits would be for their AI plans so there's no real point in anyone at CIG pretending they actually know.

Let me give a practical example: in a modern engine it's not a big deal to have an NPC find a path from point A to point B. The work is simplified by the fact that most games have one idea of gravity and one coordinate space to think about, and usually pretty limited in total space. It's *relatively* straight forward to avoid worse case scenarios of your path finding taking too long... Now consider Star Citizen: each station and ship has its own coordinate system, planets too in theory while also modeling the astrophysics somehow. The AI will have to be extremely well thought out to handle all the different spacial systems to find a path to its destination if we assume CiG will promise unique NPCs that travel freely.

There's not a super good way to succinctly explain how hard or easy it is to just "make AI for your game" since games are really really hard to make and also hard to make simply enjoyable. Making AI work well in your game requires thoughtful planning and firm decision making about what your priorities are.

The AI in SC is never going to be seen nor function. At most we will see some buggy pawns solving paths through a navigation mesh in a cryengine level while someone lies about the personal life and hobbies of the emergent ghost in the shell intelligence before us, sweeping a hallway.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Lol wow it really is the same image with the overlay still in the material they used in the goddamn game haha

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Henry Scorpio posted:

I worked on FEAR's AI more than a decade ago, and the buzzword there would have been STRIPS... but the AI framework was just a piece of the whole. The meat of the system was actually from the LDs placing smart nodes all over telling the AIs "here is a sweet ambush point", good audio and barks letting you know the AI was thinking, levels laid out for memorable encounters.

Thinking about the server compute resources to do this in an MMO ... it should be interesting to see what they try.

To this day I think the first FEAR has provided some of the best FPS human vs AI moments for me, thank you

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Three thrast three thurious

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Star Citizen 2: The Revenge of Smart

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Star Citizen 2: the Smart move

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Star Citizen 3: the Ship Date

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It's gonna be a short list isn't it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Not a new thought but more of a reminder: it's all a confidence scam at this point, Chris needs to posture himself just right both publicly and internally as to avoid a brutal lawsuit where possible once the jig is up. By opening international studios and never standing in one place too long he increases the resources required by a potential prosecutor immensely. This will discourage both lazy mentally ill whales along with actual state level prosecutors who might not wanna burn the time and energy to figure the huge mess out. A small time but competent lawyer is gonna look at this and tell you it's going to be really tough crack this scam 100% wide open.

Begrudgingly giving refunds is a big aspect of their projected intent if they have a day in court.

All he has to do is keep hiring people and keep promising anything he wants until the money dries up and then he will start scape-goating. Likely scapegoats include:

"we've come to realize that cryengine just isn't up to the task"

"lumberyard isn't up to the task"

"Crytek going away wasn't predicted and totally sunk our project, gee :("

"the project is too great and we just couldn't afford the talent, if only we had more money :("

blaming "internal power struggles"

blaming nebulous detractors (dog whistle for Derek and "goonies")

It will be interesting for sure, it definitely seems like they have been more careful ever since the specter of Smart began consistently looming over them.

This is all arm chair wannabe lawyering but I'm basing it off of the cases I've witnessed in the bitcoin drama sphere. Any actual law goons should correct me where I'm wrong.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Namaste 🙏🏻

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

From a network programming perspective the best thing to do is have a party system for allowing temporary access, but that is honestly a lot of work so of course CIG just makes it global

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hahahaha

Flarpy posted:

What is the joke here?

"Answer the call" was a tag line for SQ42 marketing

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I love the unrounded numbers, ahh yes $408, that's how much it costs yup

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

inflation

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Kellanved posted:

But I'm pretty interested, is there any speculation on what they messed up? Because they have bugs on every level, and that's not normal.

Unpacking why SC is doomed from a technical perspective is conveniently (for chris roberts) very tough because it's extremely hard to get people's attentions long enough to elaborate on why making games is hard and you can't just ideas-guy development teams into doing the impossible. let's try to break Star Citizen down by starting from the abstract:

game engines are, at their core, real time operating systems (RTOS)

you have disparate systems that need to be scheduled, informed of things like user input or network activity, share state + somehow send messages to each other (or, more dangerously, directly reference each other), be maintained to respect logical contracts etc. there's not a lot of shortcuts you can take between these systems without introducing serious consequences to your runtime stability or overall code maintainability, you need to design it Right™ and early and not let it slip when other people start helping you maintain/grow the engine.

the above outlines the overall concepts an "engine developer" has to maintain and grapple with. this is explicitly distinct from a "game developer" which I'll outline next.

engine development is all very complicated and often way more brittle than you expect. How many "complete" racing games have you seen on the Source engine compared to FPS games? The answer is obvious and influenced strongly by the products the original engine developers were aiming for. Some engines, like Unity, have done a great job at not being married to any one framework of gameplay but that ultimately results in a larger conceptual gap that a "game developer" might need to fill if they aren't an experienced "engine" developer or aren't good at building their own operating frameworks for the kind of game they want to make. In something like Unity there's no built in concept of guns or inventory or reticles or chat systems or existing game-like behavior. unity bridges this gap a bit with an asset store but then you are banging differently shaped puzzle pieces made by strangers together that might not fit nicely

The following are questions you need to answer and grasp the implications of when making any game and picking an engine that will suit your development style: first person? racing? strategy? turn based? multiplayer? single player? local multiplayer? physics a part of the gameplay or just aesthetic? persistent centralized accounts (ie: an MMO or something like it)? ad hoc p2p player servers? the list goes on, but you need answers to every question you can think of that is a core component of your game.

The answers to these questions will influence what kinds of problems you're signing yourself up to solve. If I know I'm making a 20 player arena based FPS shooter, I might as well go with UDK because out of the box it has templates and a lot of community discussion surrounding making FPS games and it has a history of being for that, the engine will present low friction for this problem set. If I try to make an FPS game in game maker or from scratch in C++, I'm going to be miserable and have to basically reinvent every single wheel.

Every system your game needs, that your engine may or may not make easy on you, needs to interact well with its dependent systems & providers at run-time and also be maintainable and ideally compartmentalized, you don't want to realize half way through development that upgrading your engine to the latest upstream (which comes with features you've been begging for) will break literally everything because you were coding around undocumented potentially-is-actually-a-bug behavior in the engine because you didn't really grok the intent outlined in the documentation and naively code-bashed your way into a solution. developers in all software need to develop a 6th sense for what "smells bad" when trying to make a framework do something it wasn't meant for, leading you to overarchitect some things in some cases, but also make extreme but convenient and well-weighed short-cuts in others. this specific skill along with the ability to set expectations reasonably ( :siren: ) is at the crux of being a good software developer.

Realistically it is impossible to design perfect game systems in a vacuum that you can plug and play together with any sort of configuration, there's always a compromise or some sort of edge case you're introducing with other systems and you end up having to write a bunch of special edge case marshalling to do things like: translate between one spacial system to another, or have one set of physics objects follow one set of rules while another set of physics objects follows another. and the way you implement these systems will concrete you into behavior that will exclude other potentialities for designs in the game.

Now let's talk about Crytek and Cryengine. Cryengine specifically set out to solve one very specific set of problems in game development: rendering huge amounts of space & geography efficiently and having such large space also work sanely in multiplayer. This made it naturally suited for cool homebrew games like Mechwarrior: Living Legends. The engine already had existing frameworks for things such as controlling vehicles, rendering day/night cycles, complex shader techniques for mapping textures onto bump maps in a way that doesn't stretch, conveniences in the editor for editing large amounts of geometry and placing & rendering roads (entire white papers exist for rendering/editing roads sanely in bump-map engines lol).

That said, it's clear why at first glance Cryengine seemed like a good fit for SC, you have huge swathes of space as a game problem you need to solve, lo and behold Cryengine offers a partial solution at first glance. Cryengine also featured some zero-g segments at times, which I'm sure made Chris Robert's eyes pop out of his loving sockets on one of his major coke fueled gaming benders in a sad poorly furnished mcmansion somewhere.

It's not insanely difficult, if you have any game programming experience, to hop into an engine like Cryengine and start prototyping some things. Let's create a blank level, let's make the skybox be a nice starry sky texture, let's set gravity to 0, let's subclass the vehicle class and drop in one of our models. The engine is very low friction for this hello world smoke test. So you start flying around in your lovely 3d mesh and are feeling like a programming/game development god, zooming around thinking "Wow this is gonna be EASY", then you fly to far down on the Y axis and start drowning. "what the gently caress" you whisper as you squint. It's too late though, your boss, Chris Roberts, saw this early smoke test of assets and quickly started drafting up earnest estimates on how long OTHER systems will take, as if the demo you threw together is actually complete (when it's not). If you dont know how to hire devs you might put a senior dev in place who also doesn't grok how much actual work is left to be done and enforces your boss' stupid promises based on what isn't real game development. Guns are now pointed at you to fix the "small" issue or you'll be holding up the schedule (that no one consulted you about). so you work a weekend and dive into wtf happens when Y axis < CRY_WATER_LINE_HEIGHT. You find an instance in the base player controller logic and fix it, thinking you're done, but -- gently caress it turns out the physics subsystem also uses that same CRY_WATER_LINE_HEIGHT constant to do some optimizations, so you start grepping the code for that code instance and try flipping it off, except you don't realize there are some extra subsystems hidden somewhere that don't reference that constant like they should also do their own weird rendering tricks or optimizations when Y approaches that magic value.

there's a phrase in software development and especially games: 90% of the time is spent on the last 10% of polish. the last mile problem is super loving real in gamedev, seemingly tiny things in the grand scope of what you're delivering can make or break your game experience for players, and it's always those "tiny" things that are the results of weird edge cases from literally hundreds of subsystems interacting with eachother through the engine.

now, take the water example and apply it to basically everything. most likely every single system in cryengine has some kind of limit to what it was built to do originally and there are always unexpected results when you push engines into territory they werent developed for or tested for. now if you consider how Chris is pushing people to ship lovely demos and move on instead of developing a strong foundation for the rest of the game: you start to imagine how one could half rear end a system for an effect in demo and how "ok but it wont work outside of this or with any of the other things we talked about" might fall on deaf ears to a demonstrable cant-actually-delegate-or-listen-to-reason dingus like CRoberts.

now i want to introduce the final nail in the coffin. I could write like an essay on the basic MMO problem space but I wont, i'll keep it simple: MMOs are one of the hardest possible problems to tackle in a game development context from a resource management perspective. the amount of resource expertise (developers, architects, planning) and continued cost of servers and CPU/network time are as big as it gets in game development, and not only that but your game needs to be architected incredibly precisely to fit into the featureset your MMO imagination describes. you really can spare no unnecessary complexity when attempting an MMO, your scope needs to be VERY specific for your first release ( :siren: )

Even on a basic employee headcount level, Star Citizen doesn't employ nearly the number of experienced developers required for a project of this size, not only that but we all have plenty of evidence as to CRobert's awful management styles given how many rewrites and "refactors" occur for even the existing unfinished systems. there are clear, glaring signs of bad software development planning and inexperienced game developers rushing a product (while senior ones seem to keep leaving :newlol:, weird!! ).

absolutely none of this is conducive to shipping the PU as shitizens imagine. they will never see their game. making games is really complicated, making multiplayer games is even MORE complicated, making MASSIVELY multiplayer games is THE most resource intensive & complicated from a project management perspective.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

n-no... not like this

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are they paying you by the word?

edit: If so, how much?

derek and I have an NDA about how much he pays me for shill posts

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it's in the easily 3.5 figgies tho

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

But have you seen the features promised????? I guess you don't understand anything about game development, sorry.

heh, check this out, obvious derek shill:

code:
sv_trading = 1
sv_cargo_system = 1
sv_fidelity = 9999999
sv_subsumption = 1
sv_planetary_simulation = 1
:ocelot:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Wuxi posted:

There is crazy, then further down the spectrum is Star Citizen crazy

And at the end of it all is the crazy that produces these photoshops

and at the lowest of low floors, after you beat the miniboss, and get the keycard to enter the final sanctum, it's derek @ his control station

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=067ZRcsrdeM

special recording of a SC backer explaining how good SC is to their friends

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MilesK posted:

None of this is true, video games just haven't reached that next plateau of greatness because publishers are evil and release buggy games that aren't that much cooler than last years version. Star Citizen will fix this paradigm by having no deadlines or oversight and I will fund them personally for that reason.

hmm...

i've had some newlines to think about it and i think you're right.

i rescind my earlier post

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

Congratulations cyberpunk goose. You made the OP of this pukegreen thread about people selling pictures of spaceships to idiots on this dead comedy forum.

Good post.

Nooooo I wrote that on my phone this morning and it's full of spelling and minor mistakes

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Do one of :reddit:, you know we'll need it one of these days

I made :reddit:, it is my legacy

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

true believer citizens dont know what to make of derek, they only know how to form communities around a shibboleth or leader like CRoberts, it's not obvious to them that derek smart isn't a leader but just another shitposter in a dumb forum people pay $10 for. any leader worship behavior i've seen here has been a joke to reinforce the paranoia that shitizens have

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

o7//
:yosbutt:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It's true, it will never arrive soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

You can't convince someone who bought steaks out of the back of a van in a Napa Autoparts parking lot that they did not in fact get a sweet deal. Every conversation with Star Citizen fans works like this.