Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

I don't care what context he is doing it in, dude is invoking Vilerat. wtf

Why even bring that up?

I'd assume he's in one of the reddit EVE corps. Remember, he's self-diagnosed with Asperger's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

According to the website linked in his Twitter:

The Vile Rat thing makes slightly more sense if he's a jarhead type.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

And as always, Derek Smart was right.

Can't wait for PGabz to have an awesome video set to it again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

I wonder how much extra they're payin.....hahahahahahaha

Paying? They should be honoured to give up their holidays for the glory of Chris.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

:rip: steam

Feels like it's been a long time since a sale killed their servers. Or maybe I just don't pay as much attention to them lately.

It's India's first steam sale and that's at least another 10 million customers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Exinos posted:

Confirmed, anime is bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Whomp is just so great in general.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I think that depends entirely on the country. Around here, it's just a whole bunch of overtime, same as any other holiday.

I believe most countries are similar to here in Canada. It's illegal to work unless you're in certain essential industries like medical care or other emergency services.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

even breaking news on RT lol!
its worldwide I think

Yeah it was. Everything but the database server was done. All functioning now (at least until the sale rush DDOSes the site)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EDIT: looks like SA had a hiccup too

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 23, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chunjee posted:

MegaMap is the idea that they can put hangar walking, PTU, and Star Marine into one game-mode; as opposed to however you launch each of those right now.

The reason you have never heard of this new term is nobody in their right mind ever tried to make a fps-rpg-4x-procedural-singleplayer-mmo at the same time before.

The idea is to throw the pieces for all of it into a single giant map file to eliminate loading.

Which given SC's brilliant code probably would cause most shitizens' computers to spontaneously combust.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

Y'all must really, really hate Star Citizen.

The failures in common sense you must constantly employ to argue everything they make is garbage even though you spent $300k on the same jpgs earlier. The surrendering of moral and ethical grounds one would have for any stranger because it targets someone tangentally related to the project... just incredible.

keep hating guys, just remember. you made star citizen happen

Source your quotes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree the public figure argument is a poor one.

Agreed. Laugh at him being an idiot on streams and stuff but harassing him by digging up whatever dirt you can isn't cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

This is extremely entertaining to me, but I'm a little bit angry and disappointed too.

I know Chris Roberts is going to get away with all of this, and this would be a good reason why space games are going to die again, because they preyed on people's nostalgia on a scale I've never seen.

A few games have tried to either bank on nostalgia or a developer's past works, and have turned into absolutely mediocre games, like Mighty No.9 or Starbound, and people gave them a few million donations. But they could never match the crowdfunded juggernaut of Star Citizen, that looks like it's spending more money problem solving by hiding them first and asking for more money than solving the problem outright.

Chris Roberts I think has earned his retirement money and more because of all this. I just hope he can spend it responsibly because at this point, he burned another bridge. He'll find a way though.

Star Citizen's implosion is likely to completely wreck the current crowdfunding models in general.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Ok, so to be honest, I'm going to admit that I didn't realise he was quite such a success, so some of my comments about him having 10 subscribers were probably dumb.

Yeah. Same boat here. The low turnout to his SC streams made him seem like a complete nobody.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Aaaaand banned.

Negativity is now ban-worthy.

I was confused because I saw this post first and assumed you were talking about this thread.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
In general Elite:D has done a wonderful job converting the old silhouettes into full fledged models.

A lot of the stations are still the giant polygons for instance, but they added a ton more detail to their surfaces.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

Yeah when Prometheus was coming out people were talking about the super slick space suits they had that hearkened back to the 1950s and the scifi serials of the time and there were a bunch of design articles linked about how they originally just did that so you could see the actors faces then realized it looked hella futuristic. Movie design stuff is really interesting when you can see design decisions made to convey concepts or ideas that are to show without using words.

One thing I love about those suits is the coloring. It really helped them stand out on the sets without looking silly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Regrettable posted:

Same. The fact that they went with the original style for Alien: Isolation was what really sold me on it. It looks gorgeous.

Yeah this too. Alien does have this nice chunky feel. The Nostromo feels like a utility ship, not some state of the art slick thing made to look good for the cameras.

EDIT: \/ of course. I mean even look at Elite: Dangerous where there's a mix of utilitarian vessels and the liners that look like something from Star Trek TNG.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 8, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

One of my friends worked on the interior of the Prometheus :(

Oh I LIKE the look of Prometheus too.

They're just very different aesthetics and it even makes sense in universe. The Prometheus was a ship built for the best of the best while the Nostromo's a likely fairly old hauler.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I've never played Dragon Age inquisition so can not compare it, but thank you for taking the time to offer your witcher 3 recommendation.

Basically Witcher 3 has a few extremely large zones you travel within that aren't directly connected.

It's still definitely a fun game world to ecolire.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slow_Moe posted:

I think you can turn off loot anims in FC4. There is an option for it somewhere.

You can in Primal for sure and I'm almost positive four has the option.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have actually played a few of Derek's games.

They are unpolished, incredibly complicated and just not fun.

What I will say though is that at least for the battlecruiser games show ambition and a clear idea of what they wanted to be. They feel mostly hampered by budget more than anything.

Kind of SCs opposite.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Someone get Derek there in a Genji mask.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Come on Derek we need more than that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

alphabettitouretti posted:

When they first moved in that office had a sign on the door that said "The Black Room". I don't know if this was ever explained. Perhaps they meant "black hole room". Or Sandi had designated it as the space for all their non-white employees.

"Tickler Room" would've been too obvious.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Its criminal that these women don't get proper recognition.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The first Revolutions was pretty good for a streamlined console friendly civ. Heard the mobile one is awful mostly due to the high price (depth wise it's close to Civ 2)

Ascendancy (a port of a mid 90s PC 4x) is the best mobile one I know.

I've also had fun with Star Traders but it's pretty simple.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 29, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: Tripping the Grift

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

True. But given how much they have riding on 3.0, did anyone really expect it would be THIS bad?

Come on Derek. CIG has clearly EXCEEDED your expectations and should be lauded for it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, but I think some are missing the whole point. It's the principle you see. And also fundraising for Lowtax :grin:

<-- oh that's new

Yeah, I've seen it swap 2-3x in the last hour.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to post the clip of CRoberts trying to demonstrate the game he'd obviously never seen before in that thread.

That was for sure a precious moment of SC development.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Xenonauts is pretty heavily flawed but it's still a fun time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Why is it flawed?

It mostly gets extremely grindy and padded by midgame. Essentially the same problem as the newer Enemy Unknown. If you stay ahead of the tech curve, the game won't really be challenging but instead drone on (it also takes a while to move beyond the Cold War styled gear into the more exotic stuff.)

It's also pretty drat buggy. Still worth playing for a while at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

What in particular has you feeling this way?

The big one that bugs me is that the alpha really had a cool update to the original games art style but the newer gameplay videos show it replaced with a generic as hell one that has no character.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

WC4's defection plot has a similar problem if you choose to stay loyal to Confed. Instead of allowing you to kill your friends and blow up their carrier and then get a non-standard game over cutscene, they magically blow up your carrier and it's game over until you make the right choice.

Then I-War came out later in the decade and did a similar plot but much much better. Sure the "staying loyal to the now revealed as bad guys navy" branch was shorter but it actually leads to a just as satisfying ending. Probably helped that the game was pretty limited in cinematics (outside of the incredibly long intro) with most plot occuring during the missions themselves.

Wing Commander on the other hand had 90% of the plot in the fmvs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Aww yes. The cult badges.

Wonder how long til SC has a version of Thetans? They can call them "goonies'

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet you loved Ready Player One.

I still love how that book jerks off CIG at one point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Final Fantasy MMO has that exact scenario going on.

Each time they add a new region with plots whales and their guilds gobble up the new land within a day.

The game does also offer instanced apartments in a couple cities so every player can have a home if they wish. Those with the plots get to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Yeah, an imaginary beared bloke is going to deliver your imaginary game patch of a game that's mostly about having to use your imagination. :thumbsup:

Excuse me it's the Jesus Patch so of course it'll arrive on Christmas.