Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

A recent stellaris update added Stimsis as a possible random system/planet name, marking the only time anything from the star citizen expanded universe will make it into an actual video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

why did anyone trust the guy who made wing commander to make a modern game?

did they think that just no game designer up to that point had thought to suggest making a space game with everything in it?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

Are you talking about Star Citizen or Freelancer.

didnt microsoft have to buy the company that made freelancer in order for the game to get finished cause croberts ran it into the ground?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

because of "charisma" apparently

and also most of the people still invested haven't played a videogame for decades

he has charisma!? he looks like the evil guy from harry potter who turns into a rat

here is croberts delivering 3.0

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Dogeh posted:

I can where one hand is, but where is the other one going?

desperately fluffing the mvp

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i got 179 issues but a glitch aint one

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I missed out on dereks holocaust meme, what was it?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

6,000,000 blogs.

lmao

i shoulda figured

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

star citizen might like the libel laws in the uk better but are they not aware of all the trading standards laws here and in the eu?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is the land being sold as 'pledges' or whatever too? so that they don't have to call their customers customers?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

how does chris roberts do tons of coke and still have the build of a medieval oaf? he looks like he should be wearing sack cloth and have dirt on his face

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yeah instead they dont release a game then they charge you before they release it, multiple times, for thousands of dollars more than elite dangerous cost.

incidentally what do they think is gonna make this game more engaging than elite dangerous? a lot of space stuff is just flat out boring. why do people want to become space truckers? it's boring. getting attacked by pirates would be the most exciting part of it, but that would just suck anyway when they blew you up and took your stuff. Or you'd escape and it would suck for the pirates. That sort of poo poo only works for single player games where 50% of players arent getting hosed in every interaction. Just become a real life trucker and get some fuckin money doing it.

i remember when i was a teen and i heard about the game Spore and i built up in my head all the amazing poo poo i'd be able to do, all the elaborate backstories I'd have for my species, because the game was simulating all of life, right?

but then it came out and turned out to be a series of shallow minigames.

I can't imagine, as a grown rear end man, dropping luxury car money on the same dumb fantasy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

how many blood and brain spattered star citizen commemorative thermos' are being packed away in evidence bags by grieving elderly parents at this point?

is there a star citizen suicide tracker?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

what the hell does FUD stand for?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Gosts posted:

How are you guys liking elite: dangerous? I'd like to buy it but I have two concerns. One, I hear they're doing lots of expansions which will cost lots more money unless you backed it, or something. Two, I'm concerned to hear combat usually isn't as viable a way to make money as sitting in a space truck for twenty hours.

Ha. Isn't that a funny thought? With E:D's pledge model, you actually save money if you backed it beforehand. Ha. Ha.

its fun, i got a lot of hours out of it before i got bored and theres a lot more content now than when i played it. I made all my money out of blowing up space pirates. I keep meaning to go back and revisit it but i've been busy with other games.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

As funny as picking that name is I've been trying to suppress memories of that book since reading it so drat yooooouuuu
Can someone actually explain this

Because it went from "interesting take on futuristic tactical gear" to "mr potato doom marine" and that's quite the progression

Croberts saw the cover art for doom 2016

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

this game is so weird with its sim elements too

it keeps talking about being a sim game with accurate physics, but everything in it is wrong. it's got gas values for the atmosphere, but weird off-brand star wars ships with what seem to be jet engines that work somehow in space.

I get that its just a mishmash of nerd fantasies, but i dont know why they keep harping on the sim poo poo. it's clearly in the same ballpark as the X series and elite dangerous, neither of which bill themselves as having realistic physics.

oh well, croberts has kept one of his promises. he has provided over half a decade of entertainment so far.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it was obvious from the pitch that whatever came out of star citizen wasnt going to be what was promised. but i assumed it would just be you know, sorta lovely, like elite dangerous but probably a bit worse. they'd realise their vision was impossible and cut a shitload of corners to get something out.

the selling space ships jpg and the fact that they've only added more and more stupid poo poo to the 'vision' is what makes star citizen really special.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

im kind of hoping that cig is just faking numbers now because the idea that the faithful are still plowing so much money into this even at this late stage is very depressing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

how complete was illfonics star marine when croberts canned it? i know they had to lay people off because of it, gently caress croberts

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

I may be able to share some light on this

At the time prior the "weeks not months" for star marine, ilfonic went public as the FPS contractor and there were a lot of interaction sessions on the forum between ilfonic and the backers when they asked about star marine (I participated too actually)

This was while star marine was still in its own code branch and before they send over Travis day, who to my knowing was sent around the time the whole merge debacle became apparent.

At that point and to my knowing star marine functioned as it's own branch of code as a module, but it was entirely impossible to merge it back into the star citizen main branch. Some of which had to do with the entire scale of the module being completely off.

The actions that followed Travis days departure to ilfonic seemed desperate in retrospective and paint the picture that the inability to integrate star marine was coming to everyones total surprise.

Judging by the developer interactions before and during this time, illfonics star marine was basically release ready, comparable to the first version of Arena commander (0.8) that cig released

thanks for this, do you know what prevented it being merged? were they expecting it to be seamless instead of a different module you load into when you go to the marine arena or w/e?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Well since this is the most open game development project in history nobody really knows

I think one of the more popular theories is the rumoured issues with the sizes not matching. We have speculated that CIG shrunk everything down to extremely tiny sizes to get the giant volume of space they were bragging about having. 100 sextillion Kilometers or whatever. In terms of Crysis 1 the jeeps would be the size of a bullet and the player characters the size of a grain of sand which would make the island impossibly huge.

So a possibility is that Illfonic's completely standard scale work wouldn't have matched with what is essentially a workaround that a modder would make to cryengine. So a Star Marine commando would stride over entire solar systems.

but like i said nobody really knows. Open Development.

the size matching sounds very probably. i dont understand how there could be so many clipping issues in cryengine without the scaling being super small

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the cig approach to what is gonna be in the game is for someone to ask them 'is this gonna be in the game?' and then they say yes.

its being pitched as all things to all people. im just waiting for them to say 'hey in star citizen if you dont want to you never have to even go into space, every planet will have enough compelling gameplay on it'. people are projecting all these elaborate mining and farming things and now that they're selling land they're gonna have to tell people there will be something worthwhile to do with it

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

https://instaud.io/1uH9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvbVNuBoBhg

gently caress, those clips are like I'm listening to The Residents album.

Croberts was a vegetarian

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sillybones posted:

Explain how this part makes sense.

This is not how maths works.

aaaaaa

idk how you dont understand how it works. rendering a gigantic map is difficult and slow, so making a smaller map and making the players smaller gives the illusion of scale. the problem is that introduces a thousand new problems to do with the engine not being built for players to be tiny.

you can go into games running on certain engines and change player scale through the console adn you can experience the magic of falling through seams and hosed up collision detection for yourself.

unrelatedly, i dont think star citizen will collapse. I think it will die when their income has decreased to the point that its not worth the effort of the charade any more, and croberts will cut and run with the money. If croberts wants it to keep going, it will keep going forever, just scaling back on employees and studios as income declines. Its on crobblers to end the game, not anything else.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Toops posted:

This is a concept ship, imo.

ah yes, the icarus hypercamper. as tough as you need, as roomy as you want, with enough guns to take out any space jap or wop who might try to tangle with you.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

every positive review is like this 'ive spent half a day in it' or 'i spent a couple of hours in it'. if it was actually any good they'd be glued to that poo poo 24/7.

also everyone stop arguing over derek. hes a fun and crazy character who we enjoy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

have they said how land claiming works?

is it a grid system? is it freeform? can i overlap the very corner of my plot with someone elses plot and cause problems? can i claim every plot around someone elses plot and put up walls around it so they can't use roads or anything? can I build tall rear end towers on my land to make everyone else have a nightmare landing?

im guessing the answer to all of these is they havent said or done anything about it yet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i dont think SC will exist forever, i just think it can scale down to where it can continue to subsist on whale money until crobblers gets bored/ dies of 5 point cocaine heart explosion

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

this clip is like if croberts and his backers were combined into one body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

edit: tl;dw is crazy man somehow spends his life savings on a coffee table with lines on it that he believes will become the next olympic sport, despite all evidence to the contrary

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

im less surprised that people are still willing to spend money on this and more surprised that they still have money to throw at it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

star citizen doesnt have any realism. it has a veneer of realism, like having oxygen values stored somewhere and having your guy get out of breath like he has emphysema. the idea that its realistic is just to make fat guys feel like theyre smart for playing it.

i'm a huge nerd so I like reading about how things would really operate in the space future, and i found this pretty good website that digs up a lot of math and consults with scientists and engineers and people at nasa about all sorts of aspects about scifi. it's formatted in a very web 1.0 way but it's got a ton of neat information

here's their page about why space fighters are dumb http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/fighter.php

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Eh, I mean that stuff is all written in a pretty convincing way, but if/when the technology and politics of space advances to a place where realtime space combat becomes a reality, nobody can really know for sure - I mean you go back to the beginning of flight in the lead up to and around World War 1, you had dudes shooting fuckin' revolvers at each other and picking up bombs at their feet to drop them over the side. With the fact that nothing in space just stops unless it hits something or falls into a gravity well, you could imagine smaller fighters relying on smaller caliber weapons that would burn up in atmosphere if, say, they missed while fighting over a planet or something. You wouldn't want to be defending your home planet and accidentally wipe the fuckin' thing out. You could argue that the combat would be at such a great range, but then the other guy could just as easily see it coming from so far away and dodge everything forever. Anyone speaking with any certainty especially this early into spaceflight may know enough to be dangerous, but history has thrown enough people for a loop that you can never know for sure.

The Star Carrier novel series is a pretty fun airport novel series if you're looking to see someone try to engage that with a more grounded sense to the science around it, the aliens they go up against are truly "alien" which is fun enough to keep it compelling.

i mean even in atmosphere there were only really dogfights for a period of about 30 years before missile technology and faster planes made it impractical. there's just no advantage to putting humans in space fighters, since it imposes a limit on speed so as to not kill the occupant. there are already AI pilots that no human can beat inside high level military flight sims, it's only a matter of time before they make it to the real world.

if croberts wants ww2 in space thats cool, and more fun for a lot of people than plinking at eachother with lasers from a million km apart, but its not realistic.

all the sim elements they're adding seem to just be inconveniences, when they could be adding cool realistic stuff like orion-style nuclear bomb powered ships.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

one problem with the idea of CIG keeping the funding tracker honest because of laws is that it's infamously hard to get legal poo poo done about video games because the subject is so poorly understood by the legislature.

the EU is ahead of the curve compared to most places but they're only now catching on to the issues involved in microtransactions and loot boxes.

I think proving to a non-gamer, or even a gamer who is not familiar with the nuts and bolts of games, that star citizen is a barefaced scam is difficult. And as soon as you get in like 'expert witnesses' to inform people about whats realistic in a game and whats normal for a development timescale, it gets into the realm of he said she said stuff.

the average person can understand pretty easily that you can't build a three mile tall tower with a 10 foot by 10 foot base, but video games are a different beast entirely. I think when the current generation advance to positions of legal power we'll see a clamp down on poo poo like kickstarter scams and predatory microtransactions, but thats a decade or more away.

CIG are also experts at making it seem like they're developing a game, all their video content is just there to reinforce the myth that star citizen is forging along at a good pace.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

also who is gonna start legislation against CIG for having a dishonest funding tracker in the first place? trading standards poo poo only really gets done when enough people complain about it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

so just out of curiosity does anyone know what the tick rate is like for star citizen? tick rate plays a pretty big factor in the delay on damage being applied, destiny 2 only has a 10hz tick rate which feels awful and leads to a ton of kill trading. Given the large amount of data being sent back and forth between star citizen clients and servers, i'd imagine they have it set pretty low, which would make their space fights suck rear end if you both kill each other at the same time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

Tick Rate doesnt matter as much if your server update rate is lower.

The tick Rate for networking in SC is 30Hz

The server update rate is about 25% of the client update rate

so currently between <1 to 4 Hz

The tick rate doesnt matter because it will just send the same update as long as the server hasnt run through a full cycle again to create new values

lol a hot 1hz thats amazing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

How will Roberts handle some intergalactic space court stuff like the United Nations?

they will use cutting edge technology to scan the brains of former UN representatives and workers and incorporate their years of experience into cutting edge subsumption AI

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

assets to ashes, FUD to fuddies, we know major crob's a junkie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my reddit said, to get ships done, you better not mess with major crob