Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

all that subscriber nonsense I posted about awhile back is still being discussed, ie certain classes, missions, skins, weapons locked behind sub

"Will never be pay to win!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Erris sure is a modest and humble person.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Someone didn't turn the mic on by the sounds of it

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Microphones are really hard to get right guys :(

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
And there it is "We need new blood guys!"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
"Welp, lets keep talking stalling because 10v10 is breaking Arena commander!"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Production values are out of this world! How could the playable movie Squadron 42 be not be good based on how well they manage these livestreams?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The benefit of paying 30-50% more than everyone else in the world for digital goods for "reasons" finally pays off!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Secret santa at work really came through this year

I've every workplace secret santa I've been apart of the gifts were joke gifts taking a jab at the person you're giving it too, so good job not understanding people are making fun of you commando!

Alternatively, good job buying yourself a secret santa present you weirdo.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

Star Marine loadouts can take 15-30 seconds to save to the database. If you proceed into the game right away, it will sometimes place you in the default loadout instead.

What the gently caress? I only know a little about databases, but this stood out to me as a really strange problem to have, I can't see how it would get so complicated that it takes 30 seconds to store the data.

EDIT:

quote:

If you find that your launcher has stalled with only a small quanitity of data remaining left to download, we recommend that you use a VPN to complete the download.

:psyduck:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
"We'll have the most open game development in history, you'll know exactly where your money is going"

*Proceeds to port the game over to a new engine for a year in secret*

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Reading citizens complain about how bad the Net code is and hopefully the new net code will fix everything made me realise that "new net code" has probably been code for the lumberyard and AWS move all this time.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but Lumberyard doesn't have all those years of custom CIG work, I mean, seriously, they rewrote about HALF of CryEngine. And it only took a couple of the engineers a day or so to port those changes... Wait. What? That's all bullshit. As much as their terribly open development not telling you about the engine change a year ago and it only taking two or some mandays to port the changes over. Which sort of makes you wonder what they have been doing with the rest of the time.

I got into this argument with someone on another forum who told me it was because big long complicated business deals take a long time to work out with all the lawyers and offers/counter offers.

I replied with this,

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/24/star-citizen-has-changed-game-engines

quote:

I've had a response from CIG director of communications, David Swofford, to say that the relationship between CIG and Amazon is that of them being a regular licensee of Amazon's technology.

Guess it took 11 months and 28 days to figure out a cool email address they would use in the signup process

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Can someone get a Dream Catcher in there before they dream all over the Battletech universe too?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So in response to me asking if a guy in another forum really believes that the 2 engineers a couple of days statement was reasonable

quote:

Yes that's right. A couple of days sounds like they took their time and did it very carefully actually. Learn to use Git and you'll have an idea of why.

All they did was rebase their changes onto a nearly identical branch from the original one they started with. This is seriously no big deal from a software engineering point of view. I guess its just mysterious magic to non-coders so that's why people like you are freaking out.

They actually took their time and did it very carefully!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

I just might be convinced about the engine change quotes from Chris and Erin being super quick, easy, and awesome and a win-win except they kept it a hardcore secret for the better part of a year and only told people when they were contractually obligated to on Friday evening before Christmas weekend.

Nah man, it's all just a coincidence, there's no way they were trying to hide anything, just like the holiday livestream was taken down because of false DMCA violation reports from goons, not because CiG took it down to stem the tide of negative opinion on it.

You goons read too much into innocent things!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I guess when you promise Second Life IN SPACE and essential godhood to those who pledge enough money to buy the biggest e-penis jpegs, there's only one way it can go.

I've always been a big fan of this part, "will never be pay to win" while they've been selling ships from the the original kickstarter that poo poo all over the starter ship, AKA pay to win.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lladre posted:

2.6 is based on their current fork.
The Jesus 3.0 build is based on the lumberjack fork.
That's my prediction anyways.

I still stand by my prediction that moving to AWS and Lumberyard is all the big netcode overhaul is.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sillybones posted:

Rewind 5 years and borrow some of the people who made Planetside 2 netcode. Roll your own engine instead of using Cryengine. Work on the base systems of an MMO instead of making three singleplayer games and trying to hack them together along with multiplayer support. Or, burn the loving project to the ground, sell the assets and leave the country for some unknown island forever.

I totally forgot about Planetside 2, which brings me onto my second point, Planetside 1 was what 2003'ish and was the 1 planet version of the FPS MMO Star Citizen wished it could be.

I remember trying to play that through a 56k modem connection and having a blast.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Alexis has a legit job though , handling tickets and CS or whatever

"Subscription Manager"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Speaking of, have they already stopped updating their super open and you see what we see honest guys developement tracker ?

That was for 2.6, it's done and released now goonie, check and mate

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Spermanent Record posted:

Is it normal for multiplayer games to start with very small player counts slowly expand? Did WOW start with 16 player instances?

Well you've got to start somewhere, the difference is Blizzard knows that having a thousand people in an instance is one of the most important foundations of the game so made sure that was rock solid before they tacked on a thousand other tiny systems that rely on it and make debugging it harder

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I like how he straight up admits to outright plagiarism.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Saddest Robot posted:

I don't think you understand backers.

They will gladly pay again and they will try to convince you that this is a Good Thing.

I used to think statements like this were over exaggerating alot, then I ran into a Star Citizen thread on another forum about technology (but not necessarily games) and I just checked and there's a guy completely seriously, 100% un-ironically, saying that Star Marine as it stands could be a full fledged $60 game in it's own right.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Breetai posted:

Can't be. Some backers have already paid for two games. Including one of the games as the tutorial for the other is such a slam dunk case that every lawyer on earth would rocket into the stratosphere through the sheer amount of jizz they'd be uncontrollably spewing in anticipation of the case. Not even CIG is that dumb.

Pretty sure the original, like real original pitch, was that SQ42 was essentially a prelude to the Star Citizen MMO anyway, I rest my case.....

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: We built the plane but forgot how to fly it

Star Citizen: In Development since Far Cry (2004)

This is probably one my favorite's, it took them so long because they had to learn how to do everything.

It's my favorite because it used to be how they poached a heap of Crytek devs/experts and how smooth sailing it would be now.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. What I've maintained was that if we were to get an early bonus, we would get a few levels drop as full and polished, but not an entire game for alpha/beta testing. That will be for full release only.

Good job MoMa, you don't even realise it, but you just confirmed exactly what theagent said.

SQ42 isn't just a few levels, it's the whole loving thing. If what you say is true then the first time backers play it will be while it's still in alpha/beta testing.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

intardnation posted:

and with 12K+ accounts all over the place you better be sure when you pull the trigger especially in alpha.

The lawsuit if they do it to someone in a country with proper consumer laws would be fun to watch too.

But they won't ban anyone unfortunately.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The annoying part is the little parts talking about how language and writing evolved in the real world is somewhat interesting.

But what loving backer would have noticed ANY of this if someone didn't meticulously point it out like they did it here?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

XK posted:

That doesn't say anything about alien languages. It's almost like they wrote the subject line first, couldn't figure out what to put in the body, then forgot what they had put in the subject.

I've done that before.

I was thinking the same thing while reading it.

Also the have a "production schedule" so vague and up in the air that once 2.6 shipped they don't have any idea what they're doing until Chris flys around the world going to face to face meetings., so what exactly are they working on now?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, did I miss something? You can go down to planets now in Star Citizen? Or is he talking about Planetside the game for some reason?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Titanic posted:

That's also an underlying hilarious concept. That even if SC comes out exactly as pitched it'd be a hideously unfun game.

You only have to look at every "sim" game, they gamify so much of the boring tedious poo poo that even the most hardcore fans don't care about.

If euro/American truck sim was a 1:1 real world scale, anyone that liked the idea of driving trucks for 12 hours a day would just get a job doing it.

Yes there are YouTube videos of people who do 14 hour real time Syd->LA flights in FSX, but the vast majority of people just pick a military jet or Air Force One and dick around doing loops and dumb poo poo.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

You idiot: They're required to release that information on going public. Yes - they lost 618k on your poo poo-rear end release and were desperate to begin recuperating. You spent so much in development up to that point and couldn't produce, so they compelled you to do so. Talk about revisionist history: every word you said is documented in those google groups: internet archives can be a bitch, but you see, facts aren't hard. Lies are.

It amazing the company ever survived considering it had to release it's financials to the pubic, good thing Chris is smarter than that.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They put out a newsletter last week. They're still holding beginning of year meetings and a new schedule will be put up this week or next.

So what are the 300 employees working on if no-one knows what the next step is yet?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

No one communicates more volume wise than CIG hands down and frankly because of the nature of development things change.

Ever heard the saying "quality over quantity". CiG is incredibly good at creating the illusion of open development through the sheer quantity of shows they do that re-tell the same information over and over and over again at a very superficial "Wouldn't it be cool if we could do this" "It's going to be so cool to do that" level.

Meanwhile if I ask 5 Citizens how mining or cargo hauling all work I get 5 different answers because the official information about it is so vague that people fill in the specific details with their imagination.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They did estimate it properly. You just left them high and dry. I also suggest you read the tos, all purchases go to support development. I understand that cig has decided to give refunds but you arent morally entitled to one.

Is that the same ToS that stated they would release their financials if they hadn't delivered 18 months after the original kickstarter release date?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Erenthal posted:

tl:dr: there's jack poo poo in the pipeline, thanks for the money, suckers, and see you in a month

hahaha, can't even put up the 3.0 schedule.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

It amazes me that people buy this bullshit, if they're working on 3.0, why can't we see that production schedule?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

where did this "chris is a perfectionist" myth start with the backers

like have a look at what's been released so far. look at the garbage streams. look at him fumble his way through taking off and bitching about the in-game chat. the dude has perfected the funneling of cocaine into his bloodstream and little else

It's a dumb misconception, they think that because he has the final say on everything about the same good enough to put in the game that therefor he must have high standards for the work being done and not that he's a idiot micro-managing and nit-picking the company into it's grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I find this hilarious knowing he's an Australian, our government fined loving Valve a shitload of money because they didn't adhere to local refund/returns laws.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/12/the-australian-federal-court-has-fined-valve-3-million/

Rudager fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 26, 2017