Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Haven't read this thread since the end of December, how's sq42 shaping up?
Does cig have any employees left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
This game pisses me off at a fundamental level. Not because it'll be poo poo, but because this thing got >130m, and noone is doing mah Freespace 3!

But yeah, I don't see how star citizen will release with what they promised.
I tend to not fund devs that promise new features as stretch goals. Extra content? Sure! New gameplay? eeeehh.
But Star Citizen got such a stupidly large amount of money, that it was tempting to believe that they could do it. And from what I remember there was a stretch a time when they had some names in management that worked on huge projects before. What happened to those people?

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Warhawk109 posted:

Isn't freespace open kinda like freespace 3? Actually meaning to try it, the B5 and BSG campaigns specifically.

FSO is an engine upgrade, and there are a lot of mods you can try. I really liked Blue planet as a FS2 continuation.
I go into a FS2 stage every couple of years, and it's still holding up.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
It's crazy. If you're sitting on 1k, go on a vacation or something.
But can anyone tell me how this game is in any way superior to... X3? You have trading, piracy, capships, production, modular stations in it. And it works. And it was programmed by a team of like 3 people.

e: Can someone tell me what they promised regarding AI? I'm not sure what people usually do in game AIs, but it's likely a shitload of scripts + some basic pattern recognition yes? I'm pretty sure that they keep it basic so it can still run real-time.
Current state of the art machine learning allows you to train networks that do all sorts of amazing things, classifying with high accuracy, generating data, etc. Haven't seen any works specifically on game AI though, but who knows? Even if they manage to adapts these networks and methods to their task, all that fancyness requires huuge amounts of training data and even worse it won't be real-time.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
These guys are really doing a great job with the whole fidelity business. Star Citizen looks 3 generations behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FZaJ3-4A-g

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
They still don't have a delta patcher? I... don't get that.

It's literally one of the first things you do when developing a large project. ffs. But I guess you need some control over your codebase for it, and who knows what's going on in the star citizen source? I wouldn't be surprised if their AI will spontaneously manifest out of that chaos.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 31, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
You do not understand pixel-logo development.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
All these physics glitches remind me of when I was messing around with Garry's mod some years ago, without any idea on how to attach things.

But I'm pretty interested, is there any speculation on what they messed up? Because they have bugs on every level, and that's not normal.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Ridiculous showing on the whole r/place thing.
In any case, the real "winners" in that were the Star Wars Tragedy people.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 5, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Is that video serious? I got to the "the lag is most likely the player's fault" section.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I remember first seeing derek smart in 99 or 2000, shitposting on the Homeworld IRC channel on how his game was better or something like that. But now he's fighting the good fight against the oppressors. Times change, I guess.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
That thread is p bitter.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
It's interesting reading through that forum, particularly the terminology people use. "Dissent", "Toxic", "Betrayals", etc. That's not healthy.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
So how was that atv?

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Ho lee poo poo,

I really wonder how much he's getting lol

Not enough.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
And most of the people watching star citizen are from this thread.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

e: 1001 :shobon:

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Anyone actually read Derek's blog?

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I honestly believe that most of the devs are actually pretty competent. They've added some functionality to the mess that is CryEngine, something that is not trivial.
The tragedy is that they shouldn't have had to reinvent the wheel if they had proper management, with grounded-in-reality decision making. I can't even imagine the hell that is a authoritarian, micro-managing "visionary" boss making technical decisions for you.

They also have to waste time (and find material) to do these backer calming videos. Only company where you do programming and pr at the same time.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
In my work I have to do a lot of lovely presentations. Even with material that I *own*, with an audience that is, at most, in related fields, making those lovely powerpoints is tedious and time consuming.

Those poor bastards have to go over what they did with the "can I spin this to be cool for our backers?" question, select the material, get feedback from whatever PR people they have, and probably also do cool animations and poo poo (like in that schedule video, the animations they used were very polished). That's from a few hours to a day of work right there. Plus the stress of working outside their competence and being held accountable.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
My family bred rabbits for a brief period, but they were a pain in the rear end to keep. Better to just buy rabbit meat from the market (or trap them ;d) if you're not making a business in selling them.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Even with our current "gaming journalism", I'm surprised there's no coverage on this crap.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
That comment section reads like a pitfight.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Rugby is superior to american football. More fun, more violent, without breaks every minute.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I don't think you can play rugby for any length of time and keep your nose intact.
e: Our coach would also sprinkle some martial arts training with regular rugby. A judo coach some day, greco-roman wrestling the next month. Because it obviously wasn't bloody enough for his taste.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Is that Ajt one of us? Because they're tilting at windmills in that comments section and it's making me sad. :(

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I can't remember who suggested putting wavy-hand CR in the spinny space station pic, but here it is

http://i.imgur.com/T8gR7S7.gifv

:five:
/thread

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Ain't that a Tenno?

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Someone posted a link to a paper in which an LSTM neural network was generating lifelike movement animations for changing environmental conditions. Not quite my field, but neural networks can generate some crazy good stuff, so why not animations?
No source code released, so it might not be as good as that youtube video, but the technology is there in some manner. And CIG is doing it all by hand, you visionaries you.

Also, anything good happen in the last couple of days? You goonie cuntiflas.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
All this :reddit: is boring me to tears. When is 3.0 coming out again?

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
You know there are problems when you can't understand the transaction system of an alpha game at a glance. I still don't get what those CCUs are.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah, then you don't pull this poo poo in an unfinished game.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Don't be too hard on the devs, they probably aren't having much fun. Devs devs, not Roberts&co.

I think it's an incredibly lovely thing to happen - some young person gets hired to an extremely high profile project, is underqualified for the challenges in it and is in no position to leech the required expertise. Because everyone with experience left. Recipe for burning out.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 14, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Mu77ley posted:

And look at these jokers putting out a video actually demonstrating their crazy highest tier stretch goal (that looks pretty awesome). What's that? it's actually in-game and will be coming soon to the (working and non-janky) beta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9cPK2_qKU

WFT? They're not even selling things that don't actually exist?! These idiots clearly know nothing about Kickstarter dream development.

I'm very happy for all the succes Larian recently had with Divinity, longtime fan of theirs. :shobon:
They are a good company, and deliver what they promised in (at least) a creative manner. And what do you know, they're only like 40 people in it.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
What does LTI mean?

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
OSC is the most effort post.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Played the poo poo out of Everspace while it was in alpha/beta. It gave that warm FTL-like feeling, worth the bux I paid for it.
It apparently has a story now, gently caress yeah!

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
The way I see it, CiG can survive at most up to the release of SQ42 (ep1). And if it's not a drat fine game, then all that funding will dry up.
Or it could collapse with 3.0, but I think it'll shuffle onward, zombie-like for another few months.

I have no idea how they budgeted this game. When they hit that 40M mark, I would've budgeted for a 25-30m game and start going at it. To account for inexperience and all...

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
publisher also handles the marketing and all that crap. In their case, with the star actors, the publisher may have even helped in negotiating those high dollar contracts. but who need em? And publishers also provide that feeling of your investors breathing down your neck necessary for not faffing around.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Fud you, goonie cuntiflas(tm) interenet time space ghost wanderers! \\o7