Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Oh, and a tiny little chip manufacturer that was probably not worth mentioning released something called the “Pentium”? And across town in Santa Clara, a bunch of upstarts got together to form a company called nVidia…

They were preceeded by Voodoo and S3 who broke hard into 3d around the time of wing commander prophecy. Voodoo never managed to break away from the limitations of Glide and S3 Virge cards were really loving variable; but they were cheap enough for LAN games of Quake Arena. gently caress the Longest Yard.

I believe that the release of Tie Fighter coincided with the launch of 3d hardware, mainly because you had the dos4/gw executable and a brand new windows client that used a new API called Direct3D.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Unfortunately Lazrin has been missing for a while now

Missing, or serving time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ART

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Yeah, I only bring up nVidia because of the 1993 connection and what we've arrived at today in terms of market share — the GeForce 256 didn't come out until, what? '98-'99:ish, and that was the end of the old 3D add-on cards — on-chip hardware T&L had arrived.

TIE Fighter was essentially the 2.0 of X-Wing: take everything that worked, refine it, and make one of the best games in the genre for a long time. However, the initial version didn't use any of that tech, iirc (although the first Voodoo was released that year). They made a (significantly) updated version for the Collector's CD Edition in 1998, running on Windows, and I think that's when they squeezed in 3D acceleration and all the other good stuff. So it may have coincided with the GeForce launch, if that's what you're thinking of?

That's very possible - the era coincided with my discovery of ecstacy, so recall gets fuzzy for a three year period that I just recall being awesome.

I remember picking up Carmageddon Max Damage, then going back a week later to splurge on a Voodoo 1 and wing commander prophecy; the Voodoo 1 was the piggyback card where you took the output of your normal graphics card and fed it through the Voodoo with a little lead.

After initial problems with the drivers, I was blown away because gourud was all we had until that point.

While I'm fairly certain that I downloaded an executable at some point from a BBS that updated Tie Fighter to 3DFX, your recollection of the time might be better.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

since I have a Corsair headset

Corsair Wireless ones? They're brilliant. I might need to buy a second set because they also work really well with the PS4. Comfortable and light.

On the mouse front I got a deal on the Logitech 602 recently. It's not terrible, but nothing to write home about. I have G500s out the rear end though, mainly because Logitech's warranty policies had them replace a G9 and MX518, both out of warranty, with G500s.

Beet Wagon posted:

Simple.

Elegant.

Functional.

Strong, like a Gorilla, but soft and yielding, like a nerf ball.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I wasn't keen on the Corsair headsets, they had a weird weight balance to them which put me off. Which is a shame because I now have a Corsair RGB Kb/M combo, and I could have had the full xmas tree combo. I went with the HyperX Cloud II in the end personally. But then, I much prefer wired stuff, and the quality on them is amazing.

I wasn't going to admit to the keyboard.

But it's a nice orange color when I play Elite. For....my immersion....

I have some G35s, but they never really lived up to the initial promise for me, and that fake plastic leatherette lasts ten minutes against a really manly man's stubble. Picking the corsair's was basically a stab in the dark based on reviews, and I've been really happy with them. 'Surround' feature is effectively 'reverb on everything', but you can't have it all.

Winter Stormer posted:

Really puts all those college papers I bitched about writing into perspective.

Yeah, but you begin to see the subtle differences between Adderall and Cocaine in terms of sentence structure.

vvvv 'Poppy cutters' - I'm assuming that he means people who mow the tops off poppies, rather than the guys that score the poppies to collect the opium?

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 2, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yes, my pointing out that their emperor is naked is exactly the same as increasing your initial financial stake in a project that has yet to realize.

I'm the one left financially out of pocket, obviously. <makes twirly gesture>

EmesiS posted:

Free TopHat.

I'll take it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I might pick it up on sale. Still haven't played ME3, the first two just left me with such an overwhelming sense of "meh." All that "choices matter" stuff was such bollocks.

Yes, yes it was. But the first game broke a hell of a long dry spell for sci-fi RPGs, and the second one hit all the notes for a wide and magnificant space opera that didn't make a lick of sense, and I loved it.

ME3 has been sulking at me from a bullshit encounter with three of the Blue banshee bitches and a horror of the ending. It's close to Dragon Age 2 levels of disappointment.

ripptide posted:

Yea, but the doctor gave him some ointment for it.

You can get it OTC without paying the prescription.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nickiepoo posted:

Star Citizen taught me how to shitpost.

Star Citizen taught me how to speed-read shitposts.

MeLKoR posted:

It's questionable whether or not the whales are sentient.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing, as meatspace is proving.

vvvv Very nearly snorted coffee. Very nearly.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oleyo posted:

It legitimately annoys me that everyone points to this when showing stuff that's "never been done before". Its not impressive to walk around in a ship that is moving. It would be impressive to step out and float along gently with the ship, even if you were screaming along at thousands of m/s since your hardly moving wrt the frame of reference of the ship. So it fails to be unnecessary fidelity, and becomes an over-engineered yet prosaic feature, while also being wrong. And the wrongness is the least offensive part. Wrongness is great in scifi if you are doing it to have something fun or interesting.

My Kerbal Space Program story;

I started playing the game with very little idea of what was going on, so I killed a lot of my pilots early on, relying on scientists to do the flying. When we finally made high parabolas - orbits were slightly out of reach - I started the science experiments to earn some sweet cheddar from Big Environment on Kerbal. One of the experiments you can do is EVA, which is fine, because you have a ladder that you can hold onto.

So my Kerbal is hanging onto the ladder heading towards apogee, when I find out you can move up and down the ladder, until I fall off. it's surprising how quickly that separation goes from a couple of inches to a couple of meters simply from the impulse of leaving the ladder. I actually got quite anxious.

I had to pause and feverishly look up the EVA thrusters, then manuever the Kerbal back onto the ladder before things got a bit hot from re-entry.

$15 and emergent gameplay. Star Citizen can't do that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

I mean, it is fractally dumb. The closer you look at it, the dumber it gets.

Posting from the past because this is excellent.

his nibs posted:

I love it when MoMA gets all feisty

Reminder, MoMA has preordered to the tune of thousands of dollars. He has sunk cost fallacy out the wazoo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

and even if its shoehorned in sometimes, I give bioware a golfclap for even including actually gay, man on man romances

down with the hetronormative patriarchy btw

I too am down with the heteronormative patriarchy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Quite, and that clip is why I'm not just limiting it to space but extend it to all physics. The problem he's having isn't just one of not grasping zero gravity, but of not understanding the very basics of conservation of momentum. Now, I don't know if the UK educational system was particularly horrible in the '70s, but around here, we learn about that core principle in 7th grade (±confusion over what counts as, and the exact order of, a “grade” in various countries).

Nope, but if you were mainly dicking around with computers in the 1980s, you were loving around with 'entertainment' systems. I often taunt my parents with their advice to leave the computers alone, as it's now paid for multiple houses.

Conservation of momentum and Newton's laws are touched on in Primary school, and expanded out by the time you hit high school. My physics teacher of the time demonstrated such things by using bricks on strings. Roberts is a thicky that managed to get in the ground floor in games when physics simulation was reserved for the BBC B educational physics package.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am part of the entertainment.

Like a calm Brian Blessed.

^^^ edit: "But photons have momentum, Chris"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A long time ago I used to moderate the science section of the UFO Forum on Compuserve. I also moderated the Skeptic section before anyone gets to wild. We'd have people coming in all the time with flying machines and over-unity devices ~ as an aside I got to knock around with some of the guys loving with cold fusion, which was interesting.

They'd usually forget something really fundamental, like the effect of acceleration on something squishy with internal organs, or the power density required to do what they wanted to do with local space. I mean, like _really obvious stuff_ after fifteen pages of the most elegant and often wrong math you'd ever seen.

Start with Newton and work up to your fusion reactor designs, guys.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That one genuinely made me laugh.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Then again a quarter of the people in this thread are just as bad.

I know, gently caress those guys, right?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The paychecks start coming late. They start bouncing. Excuses are made about the payroll company and the bank making errors. People go a month or more without being paid. One day, they show up to work and the building is locked.

Not caught up with the thread yet, but apparently both Crytek offices haven't received pay for three months.

Apparently a 'studio' is interested in buying them. Do we know anyone with spare cash that makes bad decisions other than MoMa?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RagnarokZ posted:

Why the hell are the parking sensors that massive? Is that really needed on something that big?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_feeler

What? It's as technological as everything else they do.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I mean, this

is a pretty terrible post

It's not only terrible, but attempts to drift off topic. I don't recall any interactions with facts are useless, but then facts are useless.

MeLKoR posted:

When I paid my :10bux: I didn't notice the rule that said goons must always agree with the mods. Especially when the mods play favorites.

Dunno if its 'favorites' as much at is attempting to be relevant.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I don't think toast saw this the first time around.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

The only real reason to have more than 1 company per country is to obfuscate and make it so any legal action against them requires the use of forensic accountants. Not cheap.

No, it's a liability shield. A wholly owned subsidiary with limited liability status can go bump and stiff it's creditors without touching the parent company. It's SOP in the UK, where you'll buy an off the shelf, transfer the accounts to it, the operate as a wholly owned subsidiary until poo poo goes south.

Accounting evasion uses companies across country boundaries, as this generally causes a hard disconnect between different legal structures, except in China, where you're always a 50/50 partner with the government.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

What is that?

When hellgate London was released, they promised episodic updates for years, so you could buy a lifetime subscription containing all the promised updates. They managed 1 lackluster update before the whole thing went bump.

It's one of those fun data points that gets thrown out.

I actually liked the game, but it was repetitive and they reallly didn't have a lot of content; interestingly, the dungeons were procedurally generated.

Edit: :pgi: are not to be trusted. Transverse...well, they tried to pull a star citizen where space combat was a stretch goal.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 14, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

It's what happens when you let the J4G's run the place.

it's already too late for this sub forum. But we can use it as an example of how not to do things going forward.

The FYAD influx has allowed your gimmick to blossom. You just needed enough fertilizer.

I'm on vacation, but it seems like a good point to snip out the portion of the citizen con video where Crobbers laughingly suggested that they'd hit a deadline.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I CAN CUT GLASS WITH THESE NIPPLES.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

I just want to see the stupid people buy the dodgy salesmans new formula miracle cure elixr.

And then I want to roll around the floor laughing very loudly at their constant ability to be swindled so easily. :)

I can get around $2500 for a kidney, what ships should I buy?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

I would hand over piles of money for their mailing list. I've never seen such a collection of smug misinformed idiots outside of a Trump Victory Rally.

Significant set intersection.

I need to sell hats.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Erenthal posted:

So yeah just got the news letter, and they're already setting the bar low....

So no SQ42 guys :(

He...he...didn't hit his deadline?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VealCutlet posted:

moma Moma MOMA!

:smug:

Lime Tonics posted:

spot the differences?

That's pretty interesting. Different builds?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

How would different builds even " connect "?

Assuming modular programming, you don't have build the entire thing over and over. Network programming is different to interface art, etc.

I'm most likely seeing suit differences, as I'm not seeing the time changes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

The timer is probably just local and not connected to anything so they get desynced. lovely programming is way more believable than CIG pulling off some massive scripted show, they can't even get mics and scene switching right.

Nonsense, it's the difference in c between wilmslow and the western world.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

it was two separate rounds.

Yeah, wilmslow is like that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

nice of moma to vanish just when things get tricky

He'll be back. Reddit needs managing at the momant.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Safer to assume hacks layered on top of hacks, and code so highly coupled that if it were a person it'd have a dozen extra chromosomes and a unibrow you could see from space.

No argument. I was being charitable for a horrible moment.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Where are you Momaaaaa?

12 v 12, toast. 12 v 12.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

C'mon man, don't be shy. Believe it or not this is your opportunity to gain acceptance from the goons, take the ribbing that you know is coming with grace and dignity and you'll earn a shitload of goon points. Staying away hoping things will calm down only makes you look like a coward.

We want to know about the fun you have restarting the client. C'mon Toast. Managing those subscription cancellations can't be that much fun.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

<moma>technically!</moma>

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

I like how we seemingly can't help quoting and engaging the FYAD mongoloids craving for attention and validation from their cool clique

Lazrin please come back man you were better than this!

I like the meta conversation about feeding the trolls.

Hit 'profile', 'add to ignore list' and just spot the occasional quote from people.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

Sorry, my dirty leaver status prevents me from reading that site. Care to jpeg or paste?

Either that or it has been deleted already.

Deleted.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sorry, no clue, but my RSI account is clean enough to confirm a deletion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When the guy that refunded and then bought back in for thousands of dollars a second time, leading to a second refund says you guys are being stupid it's time to listen.

Blue on blue incident. Remember that we're here to destroy cig, not the tatters of our own dignity.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Yeah, but then they released 2.6 on the PTU for subscribers only and all was well in Shitizen lalaland.

Or their community people have been working overtime over the weekend. It's not like they've produced much in the way of actual content.