Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

My Dad is a network engineer and while I was calling him (as I do often) we started talking about work. I sent him a small clip of Roberts describing the network plan for Star Citizen.

First response was "this dude is stupid as gently caress". Second response was "This makes 0 sense its contradictory".
Third was "This dude is selling something shady WTF". I told him a bunch of people gave him 140 million with 0 strings attached and now my Dad is dead.

Thank you, your Dad is literally me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lemme suck at your sweet liberal tears

:smugdon:

True story, I make out like a bandit from this guy.*

No, no, he wasn't my first choice. I just happen to be the right color and socio-economic bracket.

* assuming he doesn't go nuclear over a mean tweet.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I am a chronic procrastinater. I am very good at my job, however, and my slacking is allowed due to my output being exceptional. I usually have to make excuses to people the first couple of times I work with them until they learn this and I will say that I'm 90% complete, I just need to do this one more little thing.

I tend to suffer small packages containing worms that I start owning the second I touch them, and they explode into a shower of tickets and epics. The twilight of an internet power. Everything is technical debt. I'm good at burning piles of technical debt.

Both of us see this poo poo from the inside, and it's fun hearing the excuses that you'd already used a decade ago coming from cig.

Anyone that uses 'just' in a sentence probably isn't actually doing the work. So 'just' layering over the code is a worm grenade.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

When did you depart for the other side? Do you me to pass on some message to anyone you left behind?

Tell your wife I love her.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Well this is bullshit.

Deckard was a replicant, he should be loving dead of old age. :colbert:

Inference was that Deckard and Rachel didn't have the inbuilt time limit.

Just a reminder that hitting profile on a particular poster, then 'adding to ignore list' will effectively cut off low effort trolls.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Go drat crobblers you total and complete idiot

Even better, I believe they're actually megatextures.

As pioneered in 'rage'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

So Gillian Anderson is def out of the Chris Roberts 2k16 masterpiece AAA fmv movie SQ42.

They decided to give Pusher more of a role.

Richie Stardust posted:

Even a man that calls his penis "uncle Pete" doesn't invest in video gaem spaceships.

So, do you call it uncle Pete, or does everyone else?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

They actually recently moved the servers to Iceland.

There was a plan to build some large scale data warehousing in Iceland at one point. They have decent conditions and renewable energy, but so far not many people are biting, mainly because of the links, I suspect. Also a fairly high cost of living for the engineers that inevitably end up working onsite.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hate to be a Negative Nancy, but I feel this game might not come out as designed.

:airquote: designed :airquote:

Arrangement via combustion.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

huh so sarsparilla has less money in the game than beer at this point? another good plot twist from The Thread

Your idols fall like dominos in the face of the laser-focussed vision of St Croberts, exposed for the hollow shams that they are, clutching their ships behind their backs as they nervously attempt to herd you sheeple into Dazmac Smoochers meat shield.

You'll all be sorry when 3.0 surpasses all expectations and supplies procedural birds out the rear end.

And in North Korean;

당신의 우상은 St Croberts의 레이저 집중된 비전에 직면하여 도미노처럼 떨어지고, 그들은 속이 빈 샴페인에 노출되어 있습니다. 그들은 Dazmac Smoocher의 고기 방패로 떼지기 위해 긴장한 시도로 배를 등 뒤에서 쥐고 있습니다.

3.0이 모든 기대치를 능가하고 절차상의 새를 엉덩이 밖으로 공급할 때 당신은 모두 미안합니다.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's no more a "killing machine" than any other firearm.

The low effort troll is basically about using a wedge issue to create a derail, or using repetition to throw out a net and catch people effort-posting.

Stop engaging with the bloody obvious trolls.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

* Try breathing into a paper bag while downloading.
* Try rubbing warm olive oil into your elbows.
* Keep a piece of seaweed next to the computer, if it dries out, try playing tomorrow.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Oh, yeah? Prove it.

Okay, gonna need an asteroid, some mold and that guy's false leg.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Chris got them 24/7 workdays for Christmas.

Best company evah. I bet that loving garage door gets old at 10pm.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

scrubs season six posted:

All actual arguments stated non-ironically in MSN article comments or on (non gun related) forums.

Quick: the definition of irony....

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

I have completely lost track of who's a shill and who's a troll and who's being ironic and who's careposting and who's just regularly posting here to tell us how much we suck for regularly posting here

I'm a post-ironic shirt poster if that helps. Also Derek smart alt.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

So basically, they dropped in a different cryengine.jpeg into their build files and rebuilt the project? Is that what really happened?

Even better, they probably attached to the same commit in the lumberyard origin/master. Which means nothing. They still need to bring their code up to date to gain any benefit from lumberyard, and they're still hosed by the speed of light.

Also, versions tend to be tags rather branches depending on the git model being used.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

My best friend passed away Christmas eve. Went to the open casket service last nite. 2016 has been a monster. I haven't slept or eaten right in days. Glad to have this place and you guys to get my mind off of things. :negative:.

I lost my daughter this year. Can't go in her room still. It's an ELE for most marriages, but I think we're gonna be okay. Hang in there. It sucks forever, but the grief comes in waves, and they get smaller and less frequent with time.

DapperDon posted:

I have a friend of mine that is a crisis prevention counselor take a look at their forums and the subreddit and about had a stroke from laughing so hard at his reactions to the things they were saying. Long story short, he is fairly certain that a lot of those people need to start taking their meds and seek active counseling. Big red flags were pointed at Cymelion.

There are going to be papers about this over the next couple of years, because it's not just crowdfunding. Millions of people are making decisions based on fondly held beliefs rather than verifiable fact. It makes the statistics on people following astrology a little more worrying.

Combat Pretzel posted:

To this game is going to Microtransaction Bonanza, right? I mean, if they were actually to make it to release with some usable feature set, they've been spoiled so much with the incoming waves of dollar bills, they're likely going to stretch it out as much as possible, right?

I'm waiting for the F2P move they will make when it becomes apparent that 10% of the human population isn't lining up to become a STAR CITIZEN. There's a huge gap between expectations of sales and actual sales, and they may have pitched for finance based on projections - this would also come with a deadline as a 'bridging loan'.

Pure speculation on my part, obviously.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo man, my condolences.

I think you have a valid point about this being more than crowdfunding. People have an unprecedented level of access to information, and yet we see with things like the belief in fake news that the quantity of information is largely irrelevant. People are more interested in following a story that matches their preconceived notions than learning the truth. The more invested they are in something the harder it is for them to change course.

Thank you. Yeah, groupthink used to be this little oddity that you watched for forming in smaller corporate groups, but the internet, and the various little watering holes of pernicious groupthink have allowed some groups, like neo-nazis and mens-rights advocates to link arms in a struggle against that tricky reality based universe. The *gate that need not be mentioned was a shot across the bows.

The Titanic posted:

Sir, my deepest condolences. :(

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad you guys are still making it and I hope you will continue to heal. :(

We're _better_, although we'll never be 100%. Thank you.

peter gabriel posted:

I am so sorry, if you ever need anything please PM me.

Appreciate the offer.

Thanks to everyone that offered condolences.

Samizdata posted:

Same goes for you too, Dapper Don, okay? Don't let those slacks uncrease.

Mentioned into the air, and apropos of nothing; Xanax is a very short term thing for panic attacks. Klonopin is more for 8 hours or so, and Lexapro is currently the thing for smoothing things out longer term. None of these 'fix' anything, and if anyone gets angry, or feels guilty after losing someone, arrange for something out of the above and a visit with a grief councilor. It will help (under most circumstances) to simply talk it out with people.

Our society has lost a lot of immediate contact that used to follow bereavement, and it's support structures that keep us all going.

Gonna STFU about this now. PM Me if you want to, but it's not really, y'know.

Not as hosed up as Star Citizen, though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Maybe the incessant reminders are for the best.

Don't eat the soap.

Seriously, people die from eating soap and while it's extremely unlikely that you are in fact eating soap, I cannot in good faith keep this warning from you.

nawledgelambo posted:

just succeeding in baiting you

word.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

No. There is no reason why them getting the scale wrong would be a major catastrophe. It'd be some work to fix it if it is code side and no real work to fix it art side.

There was, as apparently they shifted the scale twice.

Scaling has a knock on effect for physics though. Think volume, momentum...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fair point, and confidence scam is a perfect description.

It's hit ponzi territory. Without a doubt.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

:v: "hey guys, check out this weird thing I found while going through my neighbours trash!"
:confused: "Erm... why were you going through your neighbours trash?"
:v: "LOOK AT THIS WEIRD THING"
:confused: "I'm far more interested in why the hell you thought it was normal to..."
:v: "OH MY GOD STOP DEFENDING HIM!"

Is the trash 'google'?

You've gone weird man, just don't eat the soap.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

:v: "it's perfectly normal to research someone's real name and home address based because they have a different opinion about a video game than you"

There, now it's less cryptic.

WTFosaurus is an rear end in a top hat, we knew this before someone googled his personal details and found a bunch of stuff that confirms that he is indeed the rear end in a top hat we all knew he was. Seriously though who loving needed that additional info?

I didn't ask you to clarify, I asked you if the 'trash' was google. If it was, then you have gently caress all point to make.

Is it normal for someone to look up someone else to harass them in real life? No, but it happened to me in 1997 when someone disagreed with a moderation I made on compuserve, so personally I think less of the overall 'gag' of concern trolling about doxxing. I'm engaging with you because you're better than that.

Was the 'doxxer' punished? Cool, lets move on to more entertaining and less loving annoying things like a broad interpretation of 'doxxing' that involves a name and loving google.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason was that she, like a lot of people, likes money.

...and obviously prefer that this didn't come with the occasional drunk dude, but the gig culture involves shovelling approximately the same amount of poo poo for a shekel.

On the other hand, the whole cam girl phenomena has me completely confused about who's empowering/fleecing who.

gently caress it, I just wanted to play computer games.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

I do get how that makes any sense?

Somehow him behaving like that and her doing nothing about it equals she gets more money?

/me is confused.

You know how that scene in last tango in paris was really well-acted to the extent where it makes everyone uncomfortable? Turns out there was a bit of a secret...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently she came to her senses and stopped but I wonder why.

YERZ DED ORKY ON TWITTER

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

It would be awesome but ~NDAs~ :shrug:

Should always be tested in a court of law. Everyone signs a non-compete; you know how unworkable it actually is?

DapperDon posted:

Thanks for that my friend. Yesterday a few of us in the smaller circle got together and hijacked his boat off of the lift and went out for one last drunken boat ride to toast him off proper. I think quite a few of us felt better after that.

Friend of mine in the 1990s worked with Arthur C. Clarke on investigating overunity ('cold fusion' et al) devices on the basis that if one even got close to working, it would be a big deal. Background was that I got to meet Martin Fleischmann, Eugene Mallove and a couple of other really serious people as they hosed around with the maddest of mad inventors all over the world. He suffered an enormous heart attack and died after giving up smoking.

After the funeral, we all gathered in his shed/lab and ran a last experiment, that due to a faulty ballast ended up with lots and lots of the blackest phenolic smoke escaping the door with a bunch of physics nerds coughing and looking for a fire extinguisher. It was the _most_ fitting send off for the man.

We never did find anything that worked, and some of them were certifiably clown shoes. My doxxing was contemporary to one of those interesting individuals.

Tippis posted:

Why is everyone so angry all of a sudden? :gonk:

I'm not, I'm surprisingly chill. I mean like spookily.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm sure NDAs are somewhat enforcable, but it seems they're mostly a scare tactic.

It's more that they're an agreement made on paper. I know that it seems pedantic, but if I ask you to agree to a rule, then we're both aware of it. Enforcement is a separate issue that may not be cut and dried or IRONCLAD.

Beet Wagon posted:

God damnit. They better not use Chris the Thumbman to try and get me to upgrade my internet...

It's Charter Communications, they'll be calling to shake you down for maintaining your current level of service.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's bullshit is that you promised me ground vehicles in the last long mile of 2016 and I still can't get around your lovely map-editor of a game. I'm also over 2 hours so Steam won't give me my money back. :negative:

To be fair he only has the one office and under 300 staff to update his released game.

Also, have you read the reviews? Jesus, caveat emptor.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

As I understand it, they merged with TWC and Bright House, which is why all my bills have this on them:

No, it's Charter Communications marketed as Spectrum Charter (it's a trademark). Creating a bunch of shells is easier than actually fixing customer service. They swallowed up Brighthouse and TWC and they're de-duping as we speak.

Currently they're struggling with people coming off the special promotions and finding out what their service costs. I'm just hoping that they keep BH Technical because those guys got fairly decent.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Ahhh, the fallback on the "your game sux so SC must be great" defence. Yet another technical hurdle passed in your shillquest MoMA.

poo poo, I ran that one back before Derek was a mod, and it's entirely irrelevant to the SQ42 shaped hole in the universe. They simply stopped talking about it and concentrated on their hobby 'Quake'. You know, the thing that wasn't a priority before they really needed to show somebody something before the end of the year.

They still haven't actually locked down anything on the lists that we've been making, and their tracker is suffering from opacity because they don't really want anyone knowing how long they're gonna have to wait for their immersion chariot to be flyable.

Four year hype trains are hard. Six year hype trains tend towards the ironic. Decade long hype trains are the preserve of fools.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

He's talking bullshit about the infrastructure. Clustering and Swarming are completely different technologies, so he's just invoking 'der cloud' there. Clustering is balancing, swarming is capacity management.

Back in the early days, you could spunk UDP at things. Then people started loving with the stream for competitive advantage, so everything moved to transactions, and for a limited amount of traffic, all was good.

The problem they have scaling up the number of clients in any single volume of space is the updates required between the client and server; weirdly, even today, automagic scaling is something that keeps people busy for loving weeks - if you're interested, Netflix literally publishes everything they produce on scaling out video delivery.

Eve Online is pretty much the game for this, mainly due to it's 'single shard' claim, and they literally built out new ways to do things, from a memory only database to the largest collection of SSDs gathered together; it's not a new problem.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Don't be bothered if you can't understand it all immediately, it's a lot to take in

You're a consistent light in the darkness and I regret past harshness.

Slightly more seriously, there is a log progression of the number of clients that can connect to a single 'instance', and the latency curve looks a lot like that.

Propagandist posted:

Basically what you're saying is that there will be procedurally generated rendering in the cloud, and all the polygons are 64 bit voxels, just with a Lumberyard frontend to handle the client-server communication. Fuckin... sign me right the gently caress up.

Almost. It's more along the lines of 'Lumberyard won't save them from physics'. I also enjoy your posting too.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Which ARMA? Why not BF1? CS:GO is poo poo.

Titanfall 2 is awesome, COD infinite warface is fun. Try those.

Battlefield 1 has been pretty fun over the holiday; I like the Battlefield emphasis on working together to achieve things, although my presence on the team leads to unintentional comedy. Too much emphasis on automatic weapons for my liking, but a solid game nonetheless.

I threw ten bucks onto Battlefront II, which was a hoot. Vehicle control is still twitchier than I can deal with, but those 20 v 20 battles are something to behold. Hoth is still fun, but gently caress Endor in it's ear.

Brings to mind the early days of Planetside 2; fighting your way up a hill with the zerg, with a combined force of tanks, vehicles and infantry really capturing the feeling of something much larger - Some of the later changes made it more of a grindfest.

Fun thing is there's a couple of these released every six months, so the competition just gets deeper for Star Marine. Assuming it's still called that.

Try Squad out. Arma 3 is still largely unplayable without mods (enemy AI is frighteningly accurate). I generally only play that for the helicopters until DCS has something lighter than the UH1; The KA50 is barely a helicopter.

Angels Fall First is still pretty good, but suffers from a learning cliff and doesn't have the embedded grog that Arma/Squad have.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

A fact I haven't seen brought up with regards to CIGs plan for infinite scaling using AWS, is that while new servers can be spun up to increase player connections, the database does not scale at all. As soon as you clone a database for a new instance it gets out of sync, and you can't just merge all the new information together in later on. All clients must be communicating to a single database. This is probably the reason why Lumberhard specifically states that it's not suitable for anything persistant across instances (such as an MMO)

I'm not sure how most MMO's handle it; I'm guessing it's probably a combination of sharding servers, having a hard cap on the number of simultanious connections (so definitely not "infinite scaling"), and being really careful about what each client is writing back to the database (so no millions of NPCs doing things that update tables constantly for no reason)

Firstly, deferred updates on some things. These are writes that can be queued. Also use a table driver that handles row level locking rather than table level.

Sharding in database terms usually means splitting actual tables, plus you can use temporary table schemas to handle adhoc transaction states that are 'bundled' back into the main table.

After that, you're into the heady world of binary replication and master/slave configurations. Binary replication is effectively a tight communication line to the slave that just replicates any changes on the master.

But no, you're entirely right, database scaling is a absolute pig. Row locking can be an arsehole, Sharding increases complexity and replication - I had a database fall out of sync once with a slave, and it took 45 minutes to rebuild from the binary logs; a straight dump and rebuild of the master would have taken fifteen. Admittedly that was late 90s, but the second you step out of the technological comfort zone, costs skyrocket.

Eve online had this problem with their MSSQL DB, so the first thing they did was slap it on the biggest SAN array available. They already sharded the systems themselves, but it still gave them an upper limit on number of things they could track that had nothing to do with Moore's law or elastic compute, and more to do with the honking bottleneck around table writes.

AWS tends to shuffle a lot of this complexity off into RDS, but it's still far from perfect.

Scruffpuff posted:

The cascade effect of even the tiniest change on the entire system is astounding.

I once watched a fairly minor change to a query take out a rack, then a datacenter, which then started spreading to the other datacenters before we rolled back the code. We still call it Brown Trouser Tuesday. You could literally watch the latency creep across the network.

When we train our guys for some of the bigger roles, we try to make sure that they understand the level of scale that they're at; at one point it was $100K/min. Things are a little more abstract now we have 23,000 employees, but we still have a show and tell when poo poo breaks loose to learn from the unfortunate mistakes of our peers.

Facebook Aunt posted:

In EVE Online they added Time Dilation (TiDi).

That was a later addition, and actually after I stopped playing the game. Time dilation effectively changes the laws of physics for the game, which is actually a great idea. The lag on entering the system was deferred database writes that meant that defense was always slightly easier than offense.

Back in 2005, the drones skill + advanced would let you field ten drones (There was a gallente Navy ship that got a +5 bonus too); they reduced this back down to five when it turned out that they were tracking the state of every object in a system (not just local grid) and missiles were physical objects, which is why we had anti-missiles. After they moved to tracking drones on local grids, and removed missiles as physical objects things got tightened up. At this point you could still find Omber in a 0.6, so y'know.

For a while there, shuttle spam was funny as all hell. Dumping shuttles from a freighter would turn them into ships, which would destroy the local grid...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

It's from last year, just before they split the game packages to squeeze more money from potential pledgers :D

Instead of failing to supply one game in 2017, they're failing to supply two.

That's 100% growth in a year. We've got it all wrong, guys.

Wait for them to split out Star Marine and fail to supply three games in 2017. Then you'll be sorry.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

I used to work in high availability DB replication to banks and other major businesses; where the software wizards who make this happen fast with 100% reliability command huge salaries. The gaming industry could really benefit from that expertise, but gaming industry wages are poo poo, so its hard to get an engineer to make the switch.

What are you doing now? Still DBs?

Banks are essentially betting huge amounts of cash on reducing latency, so they throw all those loving overdraft charges at the scaling issues. We have a bunch of HA stuff that runs the backbone, but I'm not a DB guy, I'm a network guy. I know some _very_ good DB guys who I get drunk regularly so they answer my phone calls, though.

Right behind the banks at the moment are the ad buying networks, which are effectively realtime bidding for eyes. The whole system is gamed to gently caress and back, but there are rules around comscore, and this creates more traffic than you'd believe.

AWS' other big issue, apart from shared infrastructure - unless you pay the big bucks, and you're still not sure where your poo poo 'lives' - is that they like to handle internal routing, so load balancing across availability zones is a bitch to the extent where we've had people routing west coast to east coast, then back to west coast after hitting the AWS network.

Lumberyard was intended to lower to bar to entry for people to produce games, 'hopefully' re-creating the desktop publishing publishing model. It doesn't actually _fix_ anything. Now they have to slipstream their changes to take advantage of the development on HEAD after they aligned to a much, much earlier commit.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EminusSleepus posted:

I don't think their main problem will be database I still think their biggest problem is network.

_traditionally_ the database represents the issue. I touched on it a couple of posts ago, but databases are largely asymmetric in terms that there are more reads than writes, but a spike in writes can gently caress latency on processing. The database has to be a single canonical source.

Each database instance can handle a given number of connections, and usually a connection is bi-directional (this can be tuned, read-slaves are a thing. Write-slaves less so because _replication_ has to take place before the write is confirmed, which increases latency but also increases the number of write connections that can be made). This is why you'd see those messages that mysql hosed off when a site used to get slashdotted...

There's a balancing act between money, latency and reliability where you have to find the sweet spot that works for you, but costs tend towards infinitely as you try to get closer to nirvana.

Delivering packets is trivial and we've been load-balancing for years, but games are unbalanced loads. Nobody stays spread out, and it's dynamically weighted in a way that _looks_ chaotic, but is a meat-mediated positive feedback loop.

I _know_ that they're going to run into trouble with both those issues because they've so far completely mismanaged the patcher to the extent where it flattens the IP stack of the computer running it. That's literally network 101 and QoS is the only thing that stops it killing the bloody platform. Torrents are a great illustration of a scaling problem, and they trip over it immediately.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

But yeah, banks and retail are putting a ton of effort into cleaning up and optimizing their infrastructure. Many firms are trying to get rid of running as much of their own datacenters as they can. Its a fun but very un-glamorous field. Except for when I get to go inside the datacenter where literally all your electronic money is stored, that was fun.

This is kinda where I am. We're in the middle of a multi-year move to divest datacenters into AWS (and other cloud services). We sold one of our datacenters for around $20m a couple of years ago. It's less about infrastructure and chasing the 60% utilization for us, at least.

To expand on that; business dev considers is wasteful to have boxes suck up cold air at 0.5% utilization, so it's all microservices and elastic computing. We'll spend twice the money getting there, but the overall feel is that the gains will be made over time.

Now, if we can stop people sending network traffic the wrong way around the globe, we might see that.

Ash1138 posted:

i can only sort of follow your posts on this subject, but i still like them a lot

Thank you. Friends and family try not to mention 'packets' around me. It's vengeance for the number of times they ask me to fix their desktops.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

How much of a midget can you be when tom towers over you?

This is entirely pertinent to scientology and Miscavige.

did you see the size of the loving medal that Cruise was awarded? Teeny peepees all around.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Are you a cop?

Hands up all the cops in the thread.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm 6'9" and let me tell you it's loving awesome.

Pleasure to meet you, Mr Fleetwood. How is Mac?

Edit: re: size - Remember this amazing piece of booking?

Apart from suffering technical difficulties, they decided to find the shortest and tallest people in Britain to present.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 4, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

That's not how it works, over time spoons would just become the what we called forks. There are hundreds of examples of this.

God created forks and spoons to be different from the start. I don't know why you think that spoons are spontaneously becoming forks, but we keep them apart in silverware drawers for a reason, you filthy liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Abomination. Neither fish nor fowl. It should be killed for it's own good and the purity of our forks.