Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5g3ujj/do_i_have_to_download_entire_game_again_after_26/

Star Citizen: Tedious and Frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

reddit poster CradleRobin (gets me every time) in there quick with the Jesus patch defense.

Yeah. The name really hit home during the Happy Alaskan defense thread.

He's going to always have a Jesus Patch defense. Even when/if 3.0 comes out, it'll be "In the next one. They're working on it. Cut them some slack! They've progressed to pre-alpha-alpha-beta now!" - ad infinitum.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5g45e3/how_long_has_star_citizens_development_actually/

We must not yield to facts, even if they're from Chris, himself!

Edit: Taxmas:

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 2, 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

It's like a call/response in a close-knit organization.

"Your ways are mysterious, and though you show me some things, and I believe they are evident in all that you do, it would be audacious of me to expect you to reveal all of you omniscient and omnipotent ways. I am not the Creator, but hopefully by pledging more, this open development will reveal more to me than the narrow view to which I am privvy with my faith (and wallet)."

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5gnt9i/how_to_tell_newcomers_or_those_interested_how/

In which we discuss how SC will totally not be p2w, and backers tell each other that even though there will be advantages to owning bigger and more specialized ships than just an Aurora, it still doesn't mean CIG has implemented a p2w model.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent posted:

in 4 years of following SC I've heard all of these excuses for why your awesome game turns out suck

1. its the developers first game, give them a break
2. they were rushed out because of an evil publisher
3. the players don't understand the vision
4. it'll be a lot more fun at release
5. alpha/beta will be nothing like the released game
6. they'll get it all working in a patch
7. think of how hard they worked
8. you don't know how to play the game, its fun if you play it right
9. they never promised feature x would be in at launch
10. chris roberts

FTFY

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheLightPurges posted:

I legit dont understand when the citizens talk about exploration and discovery of new star systems as a mechanic. To the point of buying a 1200 dollar exploration package. I thought all the systems were fleshed out and had all this lore? Whats to explore? Why can't I do this in a fighter? Is a derelict begal invisible to a fighter?

Would it surprise you if additional systems (as in, more than the one non-complete system you start out in) were behind a paywall?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

HycoCam posted:

As a one man operation you probably don't understand company development. When you have $140million and 370 employees--any one person is able to cripple the project for weeks. Every single employee is indispensable and irreplaceable. Well unless they become a dirty leaver and then it is natural turnover.

The only person crippling the project is the guy with two working hands that he waves around constantly to make funding appear.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

e: links and dates

It's like they actually took time and made a concerted effort to make it more generic-looking over the years. You have to actually *work* to get those results from your average SC chariot.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I want to be able to enjoy my all-white male BDSMSSE with pirate rape dungeons without, experiencing gay NPCs. This ruins my immersion. No homo!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I think we can safely say there are more "MLM elements" to Star Citizen than there are "gameplay elements."

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Apparently being a doubter and making regular critical posts makes you a Derek worshipper and gets you your very own psychological assessment:

I hope they didn't doxx him by using publicly available information.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Everyone here with a Netflix account should watch The White Rabbit Project - specifically episode 4, which compares the greatest scam artists of all time. Pay very close attention to the story about the Dale car, from the Twentieth Century Motor Car Corporation.

Imagine someone with no actual product selling concepts and getting money from fake "we're in production" movies/ads, and then skipping town right before the set release date.

CR has no original ideas.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a good one... yet amazingly enough nowhere near Star Citizen.

Nowhere near the audacity or scope of CIG, but the foundation of the scam struck me as something very close to this project.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

My predictions:

I'm assuming that the cobbled 2.6 lacks Star Marine though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5isc0r/so_if_i_subscribe_right_now_i_can_play_26/

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Boom. Refund issued. $560.

Apparently holiday miracles happen while I'm asleep.

Congratulations Beer!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Strawman posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7374937/#Comment_7374937

JFK gave the moon speech on September 12, 1962. America landed on the moon July 20, 1969. Now maybe we should give CIG that much time to make the game before the pitch forkes come out.

Counterpoint:

http://spacenews.com/spacexs-reusable-falcon-9-what-are-the-real-cost-savings-for-customers/

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Chalks posted:

So literally nothing has changed what so ever? How is anyone even talking about this?

It's a great announcement! I know you might have been writing posts about why 2.6 may have broken things that were present in 2.5. Some of you may even have been wondering where 3.0 is, or even SQ42. Others may have been pondering why nothing we showed at Gamescom or CitizenCon, outside of the bland and broken Star Marine, made it to our end of year update, and the reasons for this are...HOLY poo poo LOOKATTHAT! CIG is "partnered" with Amazon and using their engine to do...what exactly?

In conclusion, CIG is a land of contrasts. Thank you for your time, and see you sometime in 2017.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

I like this, but I feel like there needs to be:

M - Do all of the selfish stuff. (More coke for me, no getting out to help anybody)

Maybe I'm wrong, but Chris Roberts doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would help anybody. Kind of sad. I think he'd throw away a sandwich still good and wrapped up instead of give it to somebody starving right next to the garbage can. :shrug:

And if that starving person dug it out and choked on the sandwich, then, hey, it's not in the ToS.

Caveat vorator! *speeds off into the sunset*

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 30, 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Kill Jester.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent posted:

someone decided to give the email address I was using for leaks out

there's a billion new things

What a welcoming and open community.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5m1ltg/ask_a_game_dev_a_excellent_tumblr_about_game/

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Spermanent Record posted:

Anyone got a pic of crossbow bunny guy? My friend wants to know what star citizen is.

You'll find something new and horrifying every single time you look at the details.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

DapperDon posted:

They also make for awesome hamburger buns. Don't laugh. Try that poo poo.

Place by my house makes their own donuts, and uses them as buns for pork belly sliders.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I permatoxxed that Trump would lose the election and was resurrected as an owned corncob.

ForgeKnight touched a nerve, looking at the responses.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sillybones posted:

Seems okay. Maybe the background was touched up?

I didn't know Marble Hornets had a new season.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tippis posted:

E:D has that already. It entails carrying cargo from one spot to another passengers in a cabin from a station to a tourist spot beacon in space. Passengers of course just being a different form of cargo that has to be carried in the special type of cargo container called a passenger cabin.

Easy-peasy. :D

In all fairness, my regular cargo doesn't make weird demands right before I reach my destination, causing me to take a 3-jump detour.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I'm sure some goons with more time and creativity can put this man somewhere interesting. Like a used car lot or a carnival show.

Edit: Rhapsody in Mew

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2017

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

My inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnBZMngx97o

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Always a classic. Maybe I'll do that after work.*

*Actually, you're better off doing it yourself, or finding someone more talented than I am with these things.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

ripptide posted:

Maybe slow it down some, and time it to the Drake song Hotline Bling. "You used to pledge it on my website...."

I'm tempted to start a photoshop thread and post the GIF, but I have nothing to offer other than the image to let other goons run with their creativity. That's why I offered it up to the general audience.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MilesK posted:

They're quantum backers, they only exsist if you're looking.

Similar to how development is scalar; it's always at least 1 year sooner from wherever you're looking on the timeline.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

As promised! lovely programmer art incoming.

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

This and the comic are incredible!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

All I can think of is the singing busts at Disney's Haunted Mansion ride, with Gary doing the part of Thurl Ravenscroft.

Edited for Taxxe:

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5qkn6m/star_citizen_used_eve_online_nebula/dd06w6p/

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

nawledgelambo posted:

Can't wait to see how the true believers explain this one away.

"They weren't prepared for what it means to back a crowdfunded game!"

"They don't understand game development"

"I am completely emotionally and sexually invested into this game"

etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5r2ms9/twitter_these_are_perfectly_normal_and_well/dd4v75u/

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

This is perhaps one of the stupidest things I've read from a supporter. If we're staying within the realms of the proverb, the man doing the things shouldn't be distracted - for instance, spending eight hours writing a response article. He should simply show, and not tell.

Apart from that, CR doesn't have a track record for anything other than blowing both budgets and timelines, not to mention there is nothing in this project that hasn't been done better in other, more focused games. He's not pushing the envelope. Wallets? Yes. He's definitely pushing those.

Chris Roberts doesn't lead anything successfully; he insinuates himself into hit or miss projects, and without oversight, this project is leaning very heavily toward the latter.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

nawledgelambo posted:

MoMA: "Hey baby, wanna see my Javelin?"

Severely inebriated girl of no sound judgment: "Oh.. sure."

*pulls out concept art of his $2500 spaceship*

MoMA: [whispering]: "It's got a hangar"

Girl questioning her overall life choices and her current predicament: "I''m a lesbian."

:ssh: Shhh! You'll ruin our anti-redpill agenda. Most BarCitizen gatherings are catalysts to make people embrace the sisterhood.

:ssh:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5tjf24/if_30_is_a_long_ways_off_would_you_be_happy_with/ddn2bkq/