Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AP posted:

Those 8 extra players must make a hell of a difference because from what I saw it looked poo poo.

Sorry I've got to ask, is this real?

Is there plan to say that its delayed because of legal action from Electronic Acc-.. Arts?

More importantly whats with all these 100ms+ pings. This is thier stream, on thier local machines how is that possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Plural Abysss posted:

If there's one thing that SC is good at, it's explosions

Is that supposed to be in slow motion or was that the engine just grinding to a halt. I mean it looks like it explodes so hard it stops the planets from turning.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Warhawk109 posted:

So I had an itch to play world of warships. Tried to set up an account but never received the activation email. Checked literally every folder too. Nada.

Seemed like it's a pretty common issue. FAQ page says to get a friend to submit a CS ticket for you. Catch 22 if you don't have any friends playing the game already. :/

If you're EU then I can do that for you, if you're NA then I'm sure there's a Goon in the WoWS thread that can do it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AP posted:

The delay until September would make even a Citizen Con release very uncertain.

The smoke & mirrors Gamescom presentation should be a laugh, will Citizens fall for a flashy video presentation yet again? My money is on yes, because after years of being lied to, why wake up now?

87 days until Citizen Con.

If I worked in software development, which I do, and had to ship an underwhelming release, which I've done, then that's how I would do it, and have done it.

You push the release date back till after your sales presentation so no one can question you about it, release it quickly afterwards whilst everyone is still excited about what they saw in the sales presentation. Your release doesn't have to live up to it's promises because you've got a whole set of new promises for the next release not to live up to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I as under the impression the idea with Star Citizen was to make a first person EVE basically. A Universe with an NPC market, some entry level PvE quests to get people started but most of the end game content is going to be PvP, be that in space combat or trading. Now the project reminds me of the Pathfinder MMO, ostensibly a simple dungeon bash game. But then people started asking questions like,

Q: Can I ride a horse to the dungeon.
A: The answer, yes and your horse will stay there till you come back.

Q: Can I steal someone's horse if they're in a dungeon
A: Yes, horses will be tethered up outside and you can just take them

Q: How do I stop someone stealing my horse whenever I go anywhere.
A: Emergent Game play! Hire someone to guard your horses!

Q: Does this mean I'm paying someone to steal my horse?
A: Invisible hand of the free market??

So instead of making the game fun and having the horses just go to a special place like a normal game they created an infinite grief engine in the name of fidelity.

Obviously this is mechanics which they won't get into until 2019-2020 once they sort the engine out.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 4, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheAgent posted:

so twerk hasn't been back streaming anything SC related since his major blow up two+ weeks ago

in fact, all the streamers from last years gamescom have peaced right the gently caress out

OH AND GUESS WHAT GUYS

tomorrow is the last day for the amazing and totally well thought out star citizen referral contest

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/referral-contest

looks like no one is going to germany! hurray!

How exactly did they arrive at the total 2942 as the target number of referrals to get? That promo video really is something, it's really lucky they've got a trained actress to present them so she comes across as so so natural and friendly compared the dork standing beside her.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zteuer posted:

Would the game as promised be possible in a custom made engine or is this the computer science equivalent of alchemy?

At what kind of graphics detail level would the game be possible if the current fidelity level is the problem?

Anything is possible within an unbounded system, it's a common thing in software to consider problems as if you had unlimited memory, processing power and bandwidth. The level of graphical fidelity is not really the main issue they have here as that's all client-side and they can dictate the specs of the client machines to be powerful enough to cope with it. You could have a whole galaxy that you could fly around, land on any planet seamlessly. Now obviously you would need to be loading things in and out of memory because you don't actually have infinite memory but that's what warp jumping and de-obrbiting is for. It would take an insane amount of time to model that galaxy but it's certainly possible.

The biggest issue they've got is bandwidth. If you want to model every missile as a tiny space ship, that's cool and you can totally do that but then you cause massive bandwidth issues when all 1000 players on your server fire all their missiles at the same time and suddenly you've got 10,000 of objects to track and send to the clients. That's when you need to start to fudge things.

It's not some sort of NP-complete problem they're trying to solve. It's trying to decide where to compromise to fit with in the 3 common bounds, memory, processing and bandwidth.

(The computer science equivalent of alchemy is the NP-Complete problem)

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 8, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

:reddit: seems to be going wild over this screen shot

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6vex8w/so_much_epicness_in_one_picture_new_cutlass_black/

I mean it looks fine but why are they so excited over something that looks like 1 of a dozen games you can get on Steam right now like it's the second coming.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

This just in - unlike most games Chris Roberts' shadows are NOT FAKED. They are REAL LIGHT from a sun

And just like real life some objects just don't cast shadows apparently. Obviously I don't go outside so I've no way to verify this but SC has such fidelity I can't imagine it would get that wrong. Yes some objects simply don't cast shadows.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

I love all that power on/off, flight ready stuff.

So janky and over engineered. lovely

I had the original Steel Battalion with the controller and that was so cool with all the switches you had to engage to get your mech moving. Especially when your base was under attack and you had to get up and running as quickly as possible. I really think that sort of flight systems check can add to a game but they've screwed it up so badly that it's got all the inconvenience of a systems check with none of the immersion.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

HAHAHAHA did anyone see that helmet pop in

e: https://clips.twitch.tv/EndearingLazyTroutTBTacoRight

That seems to happen on all vehicles when they switch ti 3rd person, it was happening on the Nox as well, as soon as they switched to the front view the helmet popped into existence.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

His answer about completing the game was so baffling. The Persistent Universe is just that, persistent. So you must have an idea in your head when you're going to hard reset everyone back to the start. It doesn't matter what features are in it or what you can and cannot do when they flip that go-live switch and reset everyone that's the release right there. You are finished because the game it live, everything else is an update.

So there are only 3 options really.

1) There's no reset, it's just going to shamble into life with stuff suddenly being persisted one day

2) Chris doesn't know what's in the MVP so can't workout where the cut should be to make the release.

3) It's such a broken mess that they cannot even consider thinking about a release far less an MVP at this stage.

I don't understand why with the much touted Open Development that they do not know the MVP for the release and don't tell people what it is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Are they trying to glitch a rover inside a cutlass and call it gameplay just now?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Just reading some comments, are most guys on here always this unreasonable? You knew what you were getting into. This is a new IP, new everything on a project of this scale. This is like nothing that has ever been done before. If this game is officially released in 2020, I'd consider it a quick release. Yes, I know it has been in dev for about 1 billion years now. But all that time is required. If executed properly, SC will change the face o gaming. Forget the cancer that is rehashed, reskined AAA titles with sequels every year that has plagued the scene for a while now. I backed SC bacause I wanted something different. A game for the future. I did not back the game because I was looking for something to play now, in underdeveloped alpha. Those moaning on here need to understand this. Its this sort of unreasonable pressure that births barren products. Just look at No Man's Sky...

The SC project is a very massive one, and it will take time. If you cannot enjoy following the development of the game, but are busy complaining about the lack of minor tweaks and polish because they effect your enjoyment? of the alphas, when the devs are still working on more complex and fundamental aspects of the project, STFU and go play some PUBG or preorder the next Assasin's farcry of duty's battlefield, with all the DLC.

If you're going to Lottery of Babylon the thread can you at least do it with :reddit: posts that haven't already been posted here 20 pages ago.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I do wonder what the average age that a citizen discovered Santa want real is. Im assuming it's double digits at least.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think Star Citizen has done a great service to the world. In university theres this great caee study you learn on the Therac 25 which was a radiology machine that killed a few folk by cooking them from the inside out. Its a case study in the importance of software engineering and managing risk. We now have an amazing case study for project scoping. We're going to train better project managers and software engineers based on the failure of Star Citizen and no one had to die.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's something strangely nice about people recutting all thr gamescom footage into a dialogue and bug free trailer and then getting excited by it. Imagine having that childlike glee, that ability to be entertained by nothing. Like when i give my toddler nephew an empty box and ot entertains him for hours.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

One of my friends swears by this method of telling how a business is doing. It doesn't matter how much they spend on promos and advertising when they start cutting on creature comforts that's when they're in trouble. Going from branded to off brand things in the kitchen and toilet, thinner toilet paper etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I am always baffled when I read something like this

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6y0p4p/npc_mission_requests_what_range_to_expect/dmjtdua/

Like why do they believe this is how it will work, and why to they believe it's even possible?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I work in software development and our salesmen here and every previous place ive worked have sold software which does not do what they've promised, on the basis that it probably will by the time its in the customers hand. So if it was based on knowingly working for a company that sold vapourware then no developer would ever keep a job. With my other hat on of hiring manager if i was interviewing someone who leaked to the press about thier previous company? I'm sure it would be a fun interview but I'd pass on that. Its additional risk with zero possible reward.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I love bees! Bees are awesome. I always stop to purchase honey at random beekeepers I drive past on the countryside, only partly because I love honey. I genuinely like the (pretty dumb) thought of supporting the bees, they're so hard-working and sympathetic. I would pet the bees, if I thought there was any chance they'd enjoy it. Bumblebees are amazing too, every spring I look at any flowers I pass by and worry that there might be too few bumblebees (regardless of how many/few I see).

As a beekeeper I can tell you they do not enjoy being petted that much. But keeping bees is awesome and fun so if you have a garden a little bit of time you should give it a shot.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

I wonder why there was no MVP release of any Elder Scrolls game, where you could get on and off a variety of horses and ride around the map... well, a part of the map, with one village.

Bethesda could have said, "There you go, that's the hard bit done. We are now going to jot down some thoughts on additional content, like a main quest, side quests, characters to meet, etc. You know. extra fluff. We are getting right on it!"

@Bethesda : "What will YOU do when you rise to the top of the Thieves Guild?" *

* Pickpocketing, crime, law, NPCs, inventory and Thieves Guild not yet implemented.

Cue 4000-word essay on reddit by theorycrafters explaining how they will reform the Thieves Guild and return all stolen items to their rightful owners, before running for mayor/thane.

The thing is there WAS and MVP release of Skyrim, it's just that the MVP included an actual functioning game. People seem to misinterpret what an MVP is, focusing on the Minimal and not the Viable part. Basically you make a ranked list of all your features and decide where to draw the line to make your release not a massive fuckup. That line is the MVP and it might include all your features or a very cut down set of them.

Right now Star Citizen is not a viable product but they should still have determined their MVP. Once you know your MVP and velocity you can predict a release date. It's how companies know months to years in advance when their game is going to come out. Now RSI is a new company and have lost a lot of their senior devs meaning their Estimates and therefore Velocity are likely to be all over the place, coupled with the shifting sands of CRobberts opinion which is why they consistently miss release dates. It's one of the reasons high turnover in a team is bad, it makes your estimating bad.

I'm managing a graduate team just now and our velocity is between 0 and 20 for an iteration, the other experienced teams crank out 8 every time.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 26, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm surprised crobberts wore shorts to the office and allowed them to film his lovely legs. Like seriously dude, it takes a conscious effort to both defy his stylist and any attempt at appearing at least semi professional in the least. The head of a multi million dollar scam should be doing his best to look professional, looking like a loving schlub isn't gonna impress anyone.

He dresses to match with his customers, make them feel more like him, that they're all in this together.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I just wanted to point out, as a developer who works with colleagues in the US that this is not how time works or development cycles. Austin is only -5 hours from the UK, there's plenty of overlap in your day to have meetings and discuss things. The US are still in the office when the UK is going home. All this means that the teams have to be working in different branches effectively and cannot rely on the work of the other team as it's not like one team finishes then the other starts.

I'm beginning to think these guys do not understand development.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Most people have single-seater ships so this checks outs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

no_recall posted:

Current guesses for their black friday / anniversary week sale. (in millions).

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
big nipples big life - 1.7
Zzr - 4.2

Did i miss anyone? Keep them coming.

Prizes are random games from Humble Bundles. Everyone is getting something at this rate.

They've squeezed the backers hard but if the base building ship is in then there's more blood in that stone yet.

$2.8 Million

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

no_recall posted:

4th Day of Sale Current Tally is at : 2.775M

I think we might as well call it right there.

I'll accept my title as the Sage of Citizen with good grace.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ramadu posted:

So I'm actually trying to learn c# in a class (intro to ito first semester) and the teacher is the worst I've ever come across and I'm basically trying to learn it myself and I'm doing ok I think. We just finished up arrays and my code actually worked but lol he said it was insufficiently put into modules/methods. It had an input output and loop calculations what more did I need.

Anyway because he's so bad I really feel like I'm not getting as much as I could be out of it and wondered where I should go further to learn better. Is game maker free? What about unity? I'm not terribly interested in doing game programming and would just like to make some money as I'm sorta rebuilding my life after surviving cancer. So any specific things would be appreciated and you can pm if you're a lurker or whatever.

Thanks and god bless

Do you actually need to learn c# for some reason? If you don't need to leanr c# and want to learn some more general coding then do https://www.freecodecamp.org/ it's web coding generally but it does go into basic algorithms etc and you'll make some working things.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Well I can't use my biochem degree for a while cause I lack an immune system so I can't work in the lab anymore. I figured I liked computers and I'm not totally brain dead yet and coding seems neat since we were always stuck trying to code a custom program in the lab. C# is just what the intro to programming course teaches. It's been neat, did hello world and did a little census program and a thing calculate discounts and now doing a payroll thing. I just have been in enough classes to know my teacher is bad and that I need more help outside of class to try to be good at it. What's the old adage, try to be the best at what you try to do? Something like that. Trying to be good at it.

If you want to learn to code then the language that you learn doesn't actually matter that much. Something like Free Code Camp, once you get past the first few modules, plays out quite nicely in terms of leaning things whilst still producing working things to play with.

For c# specifically there's https://www.dotnetperls.com/ which is a good site for learning the language. But then you'll need to workout all the framework stuff around it yourself and think what to make in the first place which can be a surprisingly tricky aspect. If BioChem is your bag then you could do worse than learning Python and/or R as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PederP posted:

The run-time doesn't care about your coding practices

PederP posted:

An example: Many people will say having duplicate code is a bad thing. E.g. two methods with the same exact same code in two different classes. And it does add a maintenance cost, because it is very likely that if you need to change one method, you need to make the exact same change in the other method. However, abstracting the shared code into one piece code (e.g. via inheritance or composition) has a performance penalty.

Choose 1.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PederP posted:

There is nothing contradictory about those two statements. The run-time cares about what the result of the interpreter/compiler/JIT/whatever. Some abstractions are indeed more performant - often the ones that are more difficult to maintain/extend/scale. There are times when duplicating code is a good thing and there are times when it's bad. How and why is a combination of performance/maintainability/person preference. Coding dogma is bad. Being informed about pros and cons of various practices, and self-critical of the abstractions we choose, is good.

lol. So Runtime doesn't care about your coding practices unless it does. Pro-tip

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tuo posted:

I agree to a certain degree (allthough I'm not sure what you mean by "wrapping" something in an interface), but imo for a new programmer, it is good to understand very early on how important interfaces are. I'm mostly working on ERP systems, where clean IoC is paramount for easy and stable customization, and I am often baffled that programmers with a couple of years of experience in the field never - ever - use interfaces and create tightly coupled code that is impossible to decouple. This leads to frankenstein systems that are a nightmare to work with.

As a general hint for a new coder, I still think it is a valid advice.

I would go down the route of leaning to use interfaces because generally you're going to write more loosely coupled code and more easily maintained code, which is a good thing. Those instances where you need to do something for performance etc are the edge cases and you don't want to get into the habit of early optimisations as they're frequently a poor idea or misapplied, especially by novice programmers

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PederP posted:

Let me rephrase it then - it doesn't about whether it is maintainable, readable, extensible, scalable, etc. My point is that the functional characteristics of code and the "soft" characteristics of code are separate. And when someone tells you something is categorically bad due to something "soft", you need to be critical. If it's got a functional issue (ie it's slow, eats up memory, etc.) then that's something you need to weight against the "soft" benefits. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. But when a teacher says the student writes bad code because of "modules" in a loving array learning session, then that's very likely to be a dumb and irrelevant observation.

I would agree things like maintainability are in the soft area but then again I would try to encourage best practices early. Whilst the teacher is in all likely hood bad the principals of modular-sing code are good, and you need a good reason to not do it. I would want an excellent reason for someone duplicating code for example, is the hit in maintainability worth the performance gain. Compilers and processers are not so esoteric in their operation that it can be extremely hard to work out.

This is a really fun question for interviews, not because I expect someone to know the answer but because it's fun to talk about

code:
#include <algorithm>
#include <ctime>
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    // Generate data
    const unsigned arraySize = 32768;
    int data[arraySize];

for (unsigned c = 0; c < arraySize; ++c)
        data[c] = std::rand() % 256;

// !!! With this, the next loop runs faster
    std::sort(data, data + arraySize);

// Test
    clock_t start = clock();
    long long sum = 0;

for (unsigned i = 0; i < 100000; ++i)
    {
        // Primary loop
        for (unsigned c = 0; c < arraySize; ++c)
        {
            if (data[c] >= 128)
                sum += data[c];
        }
    }

double elapsedTime = static_cast<double>(clock() - start) / CLOCKS_PER_SEC;

std::cout << elapsedTime << std::endl;
    std::cout << "sum = " << sum << std::endl;
}
This code executes a lot faster if you sort the array before running the loop. Worth noting that this feature is language agnostic, you can replicate the result in most high level languages.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 27, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rantista posted:

It doesn't, just tested. 68.6 seconds for sorted vs 69.1 seconds for unsorted. 1% difference isn't a lot faster :-)

code:
Sorted:
sum = 314931600000

Unsorted:
sum = 314931600000

That's actually a pretty perfect example of what I was talking about. That code can run up to 6 times faster sorted vs unsorted depending on your processor. Trying to optimise code based on what you think the underlying architecture will do is a very difficult task.

I just did it on Java and got this

Sorted

sum = 155184200000

Unsorted

sum = 155184200000

That's on an i7-4790. Also why is your computer so slow?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hav posted:

Mods! Ban this filth!

Hi, I'm here to talk to you about your lord and saviour, Enterprise Java.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

XK posted:

The portion of code jumped into/out of is too short to really show off the effects of branch prediction.

Also, don't use unsigned data types unless you absolutely have to. It puts you at risk of <= 0 tests failing in obscure ways. Google's internal programming guidelines disallow unsigned for reasons like this.

That's why it does it 100,000 times. It's actually pretty much a textbook example of branch prediction in action.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

You sick bastard.

Citizens have told me I know nothing about software development but then I'm a full stack Java/JavaScript developer so maybe they have a point...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

XK posted:

If the code is very close to the CPU, like in ASM, or a good C/C++ compiler, the gains of branch prediction on such a small operation will get stomped on by code caching and precalculation.

Exactly what I'm saying, trying to optimise a high level programming language so that it works faster at runtime is a very difficult task and I'd have serious questions about anyone who deviated from the agreed patterns in the name of such an optimisation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

I would, but I think it's highly contagious and we need to isolate, quarantine, and contain it before it spreads any further.

Have you heard the good news about Java™ Microservices as part of your scalable middleware solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dogboy posted:

Is it fullstack and agile?

Sure why not.

The city is currently awash with JavaScript fullstack developers and some people listing Python fullstack on their CV so I'm not sure words have meaning anymore.

I'm fairly sure Agile just means 'lol didn't bother planning anything or writing anything down' Which makes Star Citizen perfect Agile project as far as I can tell. They've certainly got go fast break stuff down.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 27, 2017