Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello friends.

Is this game out yet?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SelenicMartian posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mkF4vkE.mp4

It's totally new technology, guys.

Should have used bunnies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peroxide Cowboy posted:

Is this a test from the future?

You decide!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That my friends...

is the sunken cost fallacy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Earlier up thread I saw "People don't use cryengine anymore". If I remember right, CryEngine is horribly unoptimized for a lot of things. There's a reason why "can your computer run Crytek?" was a thing. UT4 and other engines are already optimized, have had games developed for them, and aren't struggling for cash because no one wants to risk using an engine that computers can struggle with.

I remember Roberts going "We want only the most powerful computers to run our game at max graphics." That was... 3-4 years ago, which was probably a show across the bow of the whales who could afford one of those computers. Consumer tech has largely peaked since then in that regards an now is on a plateau. So that's a null statement now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheAgent posted:

I thought kayak was the resident legal goon

:kayak:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Greetings again friends, is this game out yet?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

is the paywall up right now?

Unrelated, you want your gangtag back?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shart Shitizen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spacetoaster posted:

Are they going to sell a tank? A loving tank?

WTF

This is not an empty quote.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still can't get over it.

Tanks.

Mother

loving

tanks.

Sure the whales are opening their wallets as we speak but wasn't this supposed to be a SPACE GAME?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

Iospace is not only fully embracing the pants-making GBS threads insanity of the Star Citizen thread but is also about to fly out to Sag A in Elite so please be gentle because the space madness has fully taken hold.

I haven't made my Sag A* trip yet. I'm still returning from my Cygnus X-1 trip.

Only to find the X-1 component isn't there :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beexoffel posted:

It isn't? That's a pity.
Just 14,500 ly to go before I'm back from my exploration trip and can try the T10 (which is basically a space tank).

Yeah, one half of it is there, the O class star. The black hole component isn't there :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sickening posted:

What is the stream link?

http://www.isdeathcertain.com

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scam Shitizen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Captain_Richard took a unpaid day off work to do this stream btw.

:laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wouldn't be surprised if the non whole contributions are from other countries and being converted to USD.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

God help me, I'm installing 3.0

I thought I had space madness.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

The best thing about ED is how angry it makes citizens. I haven't fired it up in months and probably never will again but it brings joy to my cold black heart without even being installed.

The funny thing is people get all upset with "there's nothing to do!" Sorry Frontier won't hold your hand. They flat out said, "This is about as sandboxy as you can get."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a double pulsar to visit in it.

Because it's an actual game, you see.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nawledgelambo posted:

I will not be impressed until you face the cockpit directly into the ground land it and get out and snap a picture

that will be the true test of the full immersion physics at play

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm not able to watch because work

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

I absolutely love that Reddit literally can't see the big picture: it's been half a decade and they've only just barely managed to release a buggy, borderline-broken single-mission demo, and it took a one year (and one day) delay just to deliver that.

Fawn over the sound design all you want, guys. Squadron 42 is going to be an abysmal failure on par with Colonial Marines, and there's no amount of belief that can save it.

What about a gently caress load of cash?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello friends.

Is this game out yet?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gosts posted:

You know what, hang on.

If my next game were to have seamless transitions in a huge 3D world, that wouldn't be something to be proud of. People would look at me and say "You idiot".

Tastefully done transitions are one of the best ways to optimize games. There's literally nothing wrong with them if they're done well and not too long. You have airlocks for fucks sake, that's every developer's wet dream for optimization.

Both Eve and Elite know how this works. Both Elite and Eve's known-space transitions use a "space tunnel" effect to transition between systems (in ED your ship is creating it, in Eve another object is shooting you through space). In Eve's wormhole space when you jump through a wormhole, it zooms in on the hole, and you pop out the other side. It's a tad janky, but believable.

e: Gravity room: I can see two purposes for it: 1. to generate the artificial gravity for the ship itself. 2. Allow a zero-G area for drills isolated from the rest of the ship so the rest of the ship still has regular gravity.

It's probably 1.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We have reached the "X can not fail, only be failed" stage.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigglesSWE posted:

In what level of denial are you when you entertain the idea that EVE Online is up for failure in 2018?

:ccp: is its own worst enemy.

It'll persist for a couple more years at least, but it's undoubtedly in its twilight years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hot balls man no homo posted:

Yes, but the citizens aren't going to like it, they're just going to pretend to like it. The thing about Second Life is that it's been around for a long time and in that time many people have tried it out. Most have gotten bored and moved on but some stick around because they like that sort of thing. CIG did things rear end backwards and presold so much ingame content that backers are already way too invested in the game before they even play it for real. Their dreams of how the game is going to be aren't going to match up with the reality so they're going to have to change their dreams to match up with the boring 2 hour slogs across the galaxy to hand deliver crates of moon rocks. They are going to smile and take big wet bites out of whatever poo poo-sandwich Chris Robberts serves up.

Second Life released first and found its niche audience after. Star Citizen found it's audience first, got them invested, and that investment is what is going to shape their audience. They wanted to play Firefly or Star Wars but they're going to be grimacing through Desert Bus in Space.

They also probably look at NMS and go "that's not going to happen to us! Chris knows what he's doing."

Never mind that one of his games was forcibly published because he kept on trying to tinker more and more with it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

Dear CIG intern reading this thread: please don't sue me for saying your game is bad and dumb and looks like something that came out of a cat's rear end in a top hat, I am merely telling the truth and you know it.

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think if they threaten, make a stink about it with the game news sites

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Colostomy Bag posted:

Reddit is a tad salty in regards to the performance of 3.0.

You don't say

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello friends

Is Chris Roberts going to release this game?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Theory posted:

you dont need Bug Reports even

just look at this hot piece of 3.0 Live Goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1q1nuCbYY

I haven't seen framerates that bad since I did 25 man raids in WoW on a laptop with a 8600m in it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The game's so bad even the ships want to kill themselves.

Mods, please do the needful.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile in that Star Citizen knockoff that will never amount to anything and is only propped up by FUD spreading goons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuovn1yZP8

The thing is with that is that the voice acting there is on point. It's very much "WE'RE IN DEEP poo poo AND IF YOU'RE NOT HERE TO HELP gently caress OFF"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eve carriers can launch 3 wings of 8 fighters each, with a lot more in the hanger. I forget the specifics off the top of my head.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Give me more salt :kheldragar:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

trucutru posted:

Go to the reddit forum and order the posts by newest first. It is a salt mine and every single post gets immediately downvoted so that it never reaches the frontpage.

:effort:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also that involves going on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can I get a third?