Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Star Citizen: YOU SIR ARE A PARIAH !!!111!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What is this, Caveman Social Interaction 101

Thread is weird

Yes, Jesus Christ. It's loving awkward to get groped at work and so your instinct is to try to shut it down without making a scene so people don't call you a bitch who can't take a joke.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha. That's true, carry on.
I think I also forgot to pay a taxxe so here.

Is that one of those Turkish swimming cats, or just a regular cat who's a contrarian?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

i guess for the backers eventually all the piss just feels like rain

All of these moments will be gone, like tears in piss. Time to die.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

How would having an anti-Nazi agenda be bad in any way?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I think the doctor actually said "Won't fit on a horse," but I wasn't there.

Someone who can Photoshop (i.e. not me) needs to replace Crobblers with one of those inflatable wavy man things like they have at used car places.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That's so unfair! It was Gerald Gardner in the 1950s! Based on something some lady named Margaret told him! So mote it be!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I genuinely love watching these folks try to burn Derek. It's like watching toddlers lie.

I watched the last episode of Sherlock tonight while my husband was out, and when he came home he asked me what I thought, and I said that I felt sorry for all the camera people and set designers and costumers who had to do their jobs like responsible adults while demented toddlers mashed their Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson action figures together in a boring and pointless series of completely improbable scenarios.

And yet, compared to Star Citizen, it was a high point of humanity's artistic achievement.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Propagandist posted:

Ovulating? At her age?

:goonsay:

She's not even 50. Ovulation doesn't stop for most women until 53-55.

While we're talking about ladies over 40, what is the deal with Sandi's hair extensions? I was going to say something like "Does she expect people to believe her hair grew six inches in two weeks?" but then I realized that she is surrounded by the most credulous buffoons this side of a flock of particularly dimwitted turkeys.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 20, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

They might actually be. I dont know why ive never seen a farm like that before. They are quite scary. Imagine running from micheal meyers into that field or something.

Pineapple farms are awesome. They smell really good and look like fields full of alien beings. Then some nice man chops a pineapple up for you with a terrifying machete and you eat it like the animal you are.

I have been to pineapple farms in Hawaii and in Tahiti, so I guess my next stop is Costa Rica.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Imma spacemop the spacefloor at the spaceMcDonald's for a few hours, mom

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

LOL so Chris went the absolute most expensive route in other words , which is what everyone has been saying all along

All the mocap videos we've seen they're using a huge sound stage and a full crew of 10+ people. What's that 10k an hour ? Hahaha the backers will never know !

And btw Andy Serkis is working for free because he sees the true directorial talent at work

Reminder that the last sentence is a thing Citizens actually claim to believe.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

I still can't get over the horse racing odds dude out of the blue tweeting at Derek about SC.

Wait, I missed this. Please tell me it was "Walt Gekko" who did that, because I will never stop laughing if it was.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

IIRC I think it was a dude who just does horse racing odds and stuff, he tweeted Derek out of the blue to check out the horse that Crobbers had bought recently or something?

"Walt Gekko" is an Internet horse handicapper who, under a previous pseudonym, fancied himself a Usenet warlord, so I thought he might know Derek from those days.

Note lack of doxing here.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I'm weighing in late on DSmart's CIG employee directory plan and begging him not to post it here, not because it's doxing or whatever, but because I don't loving care who is assistant payroll clerk at this failing scam enterprise. What interests me is the hubris and incompetence of the top management, not which 20-somethings were unlucky enough to catch a berth on a sinking ship.

TheAgent's report of "bonuses for top management, pay cuts for everyone else" just confirms this. And feels totally believable to me as a veteran of shady startups (in the first tech bubel, which was the loving Wild West).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, what, holy gently caress, this guy is connected with Tickle Me Sandi? He is the host of an astonishing "Internet talk show" that rivals local access cable fare for sheer cheesiness.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Daztek posted:

happy groundhog day

Derek saw his shadow, so now it's going to be six more weeks until his explosive ELE blog. :sigh:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Samizdata posted:

It's a pity you picked SC then, since it is a micropenis. Mind you, the prettiest micropenis you have ever seen, but a micropenis nonetheless.

Micropeens have greater fidelity?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Was that the same show where CIG showed up to demo some poo poo and basically had jpegs and talked about it?

That's pretty much every show, isn't it?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Reminder: Redditors have caused people to commit suicide due to doxxing.

Mr. Tripathi had died before the Boston Marathon, though. It just took them a while to find the body.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I insisted on a worker-cooperative fair-trade amethyst engagement ring because I am a big old hippie, but then my mother-in-law gave my husband a really pretty diamond set from the 1920s (her aunt's maybe?) so I just caved in to Big Diamond, rationalizing to myself that all those exploited miners would have been dead for decades by now, DeBeers or no DeBeers.

I am not good at being a hippie. :sigh: I like shiny things and meat far too much.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm... uh... I'm the futuristic single person mining space ships with separate taps for hot and cold water in the lavatory?

First they forgot the Roomba technology of the early 21st century, now they forget the hot-and-cold-water-mixing technology of the early 20th century. Do these motherfuckers start fires by rubbing two sticks together?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tippis posted:

…not to mention that a “pledge”, in a money transaction sense, would work the opposite way.

A pledge is what you give to someone to secure a loan — it's what you give to the pawn shop in exchange for money, with the understanding that you'll pay them back in order to regain posession of the pledge. Since CIG is getting the money in this case, the pledge would be whatever they gave the backers in exchange for this loan. And it is a loan, which means it has to be repaid or the backers will have full ownership of the pledge in question and be allowed to sell it to recoup the money lost.

So if CIG goes to a court and tries the argument, “no, no, it's a pledge not a purchase”, then the immediate answer would be “ok, so how much is the guy owed including interest rate, and why aren't you repaying him when he asks you to?” Alternatively “ok, so what's the actual pledge here — what did you give to backer X?” Declaring themselves insolvent, or declaring that they defrauded the backer by not providing any actual pledge in front of a judge would probably not be the best way of trying to get out of a refund…

Pretty sure that the sense of "pledge" as "promised donation to an organization" is the one that would be relevant. "I pledged $1,000 to my church's annual fund drive" and so on. Now, I think they'd utterly fail to show that money given to Star Citizen was a pledge in that sense, especially given the precedent to date, but it has nothing to do with pawn shops.

The point of a charitable pledge is that the pledger expects nothing in return. It is ridiculous for Crobblers and crew to try to argue that buying jpgs is a charitable pledge.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 20, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tippis posted:

If they suggested that in court, they'd have a hell of a time explaining to… oh… the entire EU (and most likely a number of other places) why they're charging VAT. Insinuating that you're insolvent or that you're committing securities fraud while as part of your legal argument is pretty darn bad; suggesting that you've committed EU-wide VAT fraud on the order of tens of millions of dollars is even worse. :D

And that's before we even get into the whole business of being a registered charity or similar organisation that can actually receive that kind of donation, or the whole business of their very clearly promising the “pledgers” services and goods in return for, and (supposedly) commensurate to those pledges purchases.

I agree it's pants-on-head stupid, but my point was that they're pretending to get donations rather than pretending to hold pawned items.

"You're making a donation, not a purchase" is the argument failed Kickstarters have always made in court, with varying degrees of success. In the US, anybody is allowed to collect donations, it's just that the only cases where you can use those donations as tax deductions are when they are made to appropriately registered charities. Making a donation to CIG, if anybody was stupid enough to actually do it, would be indistinguishable legally from giving a panhandler a dollar. Of course, buying jpgs from CIG is not in any way making a donation to them, no matter how much they pretend it is.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

MilesK posted:

This is at least the 5th Community Manager. Currently it's Ben, Jared, Tyler, and Tyler.

I was all "Isn't Tyler already a Community Manager?" and "Wasn't he quite a bit fatter?" but only now do I realize it's a different Tyler.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

The kid should have asked to play the secret build.

Well, I heard there was a secret build
That Crobblers played, and Ben was thrilled
But you don't really care for gaming, do ya

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

::3: I had a cat and a bunny but they rarely interacted at all, let alone snuggled. They were both kind of bitchy, tbh.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Mark did nothing wrong :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Let's limit our mocking of terrible SC backers to their SC related posts.

Thanks! I think we can all safely assume that Gremlich is a terrible person with terrible opinions about everything at this point without further reposts.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

HycoCam posted:

What you don't realize is Crobbers pulled it off!!! This game exists right now, only problem is the NPCs are having so much fun playing they won't let anyone else play. But you wouldn't want to play anyway, the NPCs would just grief you.

It's like homeopathy (we're all already soaking in an enormously diluted solution of everything). Star Citizen is happening inside some computer somewhere, just without any player characters. Space Janitor is mopping epically while the clothing sellers are selling ugly jackets to each other. Checkmate, goonies!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

Summary of 10ftHand-wavium:
  • The entirety through this is Chris and Tony Z imagining all the great concepts and ideas they have for what players will do (Basically make your own gameplay)

• Chris Roberts does not know what methane is. Calls it "Me-Thayne'

That's how people pronounce it in the UK, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

starkebn posted:

yes, the same as the US fucks up the words aluminium and soldering

regional differences

England hosed up aluminum. Aluminum was the original name.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bunnyscrum is best scrum

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

DapperDon posted:

Did you really just use the word "thus"?

He oft elects thus.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, is that real? Is it meant to be a "before" or an "after" if so?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Hav posted:

Sativa and a work ethic,.

I've got one of those!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The Old Man is played by Mark Hamill, not to be confused with Gary Oldman, whose character is also an old man.
:nallears: like what the Christ chris cant you write anything, you are a terrible. loving. writer.

Gary Oldman IS The Other Old Man.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Space Crabs posted:

A new TheAgent leak:

:homebrew:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Is that seal trying to eat that person's head, or is the seal doing the seal equivalent of a dog or cat taking a puppy or kitten by the scruff of the neck?

I clearly do not understand seal development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, no, Lieutenant Dan!