Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
whens the next round of founder ships available, i want in on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Save us, Wiz; you're our only hope

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This feels like the Real Life version of scamming pubbies that want to get into GoonSwarm in Eve Online.

1) Build this big dream of paradise and how great it is to be part of it
2) Offer people a taste ~for a fee~
3) Drag out the admittance process by claiming that the pubbie is a spy
4) Suggest that ~another fee~ would be a game changer and expedite their admission process
5) Tell them that they are being invited but never actually invite them
6) Have them bring all their stuff to somewhere convenient for us
7) "Accidentally" gently caress them over and take or blow up all their stuff
8) Repeat step 4) indefinitely
9) Most importantly- never, ever, admit that it is a scam.

This is an actual scamming playbook that goons use

CR is either the most genius goon ever or a pubbie sunk by this scam and seeking space revenge

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I'm failing to grasp how people are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on jpeg ships when it is unclear improbable that the game will even accommodate multiplayer... Didn't they already say that it is not going to be an MMO? And they're having trouble even getting a lovely instance group together?

Sorry I haven't been able to follow the thread in it's entirety; I'm assuming these were answered already somewhere

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This might sound like an odd question, but....

Are there game mechanics that these idiots are all getting behind and circlejerking about?

I think it would be kind of hilarious to just drop in and provide a counterpoint to see people up in arms about game mechanics that may or may not exist in the current collection of jpegs

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Star Citizen: How Sunk can Sunk Cost Get

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

oh my god.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/280gb-intel-optane-900p-aic-ssd-hhhl-pcie-30-x4-nvme-3d-xpoint-2400mb-s-read-2000mb-s-write

read this for ultimate hilarity.

quote:

*Star Citizen PC Game not included, available separately.

does this count as false advertisement

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
More like PC jpegging

Pegging backers via PC

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I actually want SC to be released as a playable game.

Just imagine; all of these complete morons that have been shelling out hundreds/thousands of dollars for some space advantage only to get suicide ganked by hundreds of goons for no discernible reason.

It's pretty funny for the die hards to be smugging so hard over some semblance of progress- like they're going to personally achieve something if/when the game is released. If they're up in arms over goons right now, they're in for a real surprise when we can actually log in....

...in like 10 years

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.

How are people still using this argument despite the only people that are able to see any semblance of gameplay are locked down tight by a complete NDA? They are communicating to you what they "want to do" and bullshit lore that they're making up on the spot just to shill more spaceship jpegs. 6 years of development and not one second of actual gaming shown at the convention? Scripted tech demos are anything but open communication about the state of development.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Some guy with a 980ti was getting 18FPS but moma says framerate has improved so that's alright. Is it now 19?

It's significant

as in they can actually measure a positive change this time

groundbreaking

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

scaled to 60 or 80 clients

How exactly are you going to have "epic space battles" with 60 to 80 clients in an instance when the majority of "Ships" in the "Game" require multiple crew? If your answer is "crew slots can be piloted by AI" then what is the point of actually having more player crew slots? Are players more effective than the base AI? Will the instance limit be Client based or Ship based? How will the ships be balanced if at 80 limit is for clients, because then it would be pointless to ever have anyone manning guns in your ship if you could have another ship in the fight?

If the battles are capped at 80 then is PVP going to be restricted to "battleground" type instances only and no open world PVP? If it's open world and you somehow get dragged into an instance when you go into combat (I don't know how this actually works), then you can guarantee that combat will turn into some cat and mouse where one side just tries to dogpile the other until they have the ship majority.

If players have bases, will there be separate instances when you want to attack/defend a base? Again, will you have it be limited by players or ships, and will it be first come first serve, or just select your top 40 ships/players?

My point is... a persistent/MMO game based around the vastness of space with an instance capacity of 60-80 clients or ships would suck major dongs

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

Star Citizen: :yayclod: + :pseudo: + ( :shepspends:* :trustme: + :retrogames:) + :gary: + :redflag::redflag:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Don't backers wave around the flag of "it's a player funded development" or some similar poo poo? If so, do the bigger backers get access to see the company's financials on some private board or something?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

DOUCHENOZZLES

at least douche nozzels get pussy!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm curious how desperate things were financially and how much Intel paid CIG.

plot twist: Intel paid CIG in .jpegs of server blades

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

it is loving hilarious that someone was chucking out god drat hard drives at a conference like the world's dorkiest ever hype man

those hard drives were solid, bro

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Rugganovich posted:

I don't do twitter. But are these people having conversations with themselves after their initial reply?

yeah, they learned it from donald trump

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
i feel like crobberts is basically the "game developer" version of donald trump

think about it

it works

sad

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

gently caress, what is wrong with these people? :cry:

Stockholm Star Citizen Syndrome

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I needed a distraction from studying...

#1 - I don't give a crap about your backstory.
They didn't do this during the pitch, but they've gone all-out with a barrage of lore and backstory. I would argue having a seminar on how to speak Xi'An when nobody knows how to find a jump point is a good example.

#2 - I don't give a crap about your inventory system either.
The major point of emphasis was that unless a standard mechanic is particularly critical to the game then it doesn't need to be discussed. Chris is constantly guilty of this, such as the Gamescom demo featuring an extensive discussion on how to put on pants.

#3 - I'm not going to design your game for you.
Chris doesn't have this problem.

#4 - Pillars are not hooks!
Curiously Star Citizen has plenty of hooks, but no pillars.

#5 - You never explained what the player does.
According to the latest demo you spend 8 minutes waiting to arrive at your destination.

#6 - In the real world, no one can double jump!
We get this a lot, with "realistic" physics and emphasis on not "cheating" game mechanics that have no business being simulated to the level CIG has put in.

#7 - It's a game show!
Star Citizen is not intended to be a shallow game so this doesn't apply.

#8 - It's a parody!
It's a joke, but they take it seriously.

#9 - You never mentioned your glaringly obvious tech risk.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

#10 - Your proof of concept doesn't prove your concept.
Five years in they still haven't proven their MMO is going to have a massive number of people.

#11 - Having lots of lovely images doesn't make them less lovely.
CIG's artists are pretty good.

#12 - I can't tell what's placeholder and what's not.
WORM WAS NOT A JOKE.

#13 - You polished too early.
CIG's philosophy is that it's never to late to polish too early.

#14 - Your sample dialog sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7VUUBx5lKU

#15 - You're pandering to the latest tech craze.
Procedural cities! Face Over IP! Chris is obsessed with having new shinies.

#16 - You just pitched a phone game to a console publisher.
CIG definitely targeted the right audience.

#17 - Gone Home already exists.
Chris did pitch something that was meant to be different, I'll give him that.

#18 - "Can you help us negotiate a license deal with Marvel?"
Doesn't apply, although I imagine the question was asked with respect to Coutt's.

#19 - I know more about your monetization than your mechanics.
Absolutely true.

#20 - You have no idea how much money you need to make this thing.
They had a budget to start with, but as soon as funding went off the rails so did their scope.

#21 - You don't have a team.
This is a big one. CIG argues that the first year was spent building a team from nothing, and a lot of their early work was done through contractors.

#22 - Your business plan is based on outliers.
This is absolutely true and continues to be a huge joke, particularly given that they've already squeezed their customer base dry.

#23 - You seem like you'd be a huge pain in the rear end to work with.
It's well established that Chris is a dick.

#24 - You expect me to know who you are.
Probably not a problem with Chris.

#25 - You're annoyed that I'm asking questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGreb21dKdg&t=1112s

#26 - We're watching the pitch on your phone.
CIG will happily spend your money for bigger screens.

#27 - You brought a laptop... but no headphones.
Arguably their constant gently caress-ups at livestreams would apply, although the last one went well.

#28 - You're hungover... Or drunk... Or high...
When was the last presentation where Chris wasn't shitfaced?

#29 - You trash other games. Or other companies. Or other developers.
That's basically CIG's business model.

#30 - You need to take a shower.
This applies more to the community than the creator.

:five::five::five::five:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I don't know if this has been linked already, but.... what the actual gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznbxuUbEwI

Thousands of dollars worth of man hours went into making this stupid rear end video on how to pronounce this made up language in a jpeg simulator

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

I can't.... lol these jokes write themselves

it's sad that most of the backers will be dead from diabeetus before star citizen is released

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
star citizen is what happens when you divide $164,399,566 by zero

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I'm kind of tired of working in finance and I live close to the LA office. Should I go ahead and apply for one of the lead engineer jobs at RSI?

I mean I don't actually have the skills for that position right now but I'm pretty sure I could pound out a masters in electrical engineering in a few years because of my math background.

I also don't have any samples in my portfolio so I guess I could just hire a freelance firm to pad it a bit with some of the design concepts that I've come up with

On the plus side I've done some background acting in movies and commercials, so I have more experience than some of their other key employees

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
the tone of that article makes it sound like 3.0 is :frogsiren: days away :frogsiren:

oh and conveniently here are some more ships to buy

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
How many "alpha" backers are there in total? Approximately? And they can only get like 20-30 people on a server at a time and not have it blow up?

This is going to be great

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
not to mention they are light years away from getting the servers to be able to handle any type of MMO capacity, which means that the majority of "features" (including insurance) are not even applicable in their original secondary tertiary scope.

They want the economy level of Eve without the realization that Eve only works because it's a single server universe. This large of a scope would be hilariously poo poo with multiple servers as done in WoW.

Basically, the design route that they want to go in can only work in a single universe MMO type game. Which is effectively impossible because of hardware limitations; which is why Eve has ti-di so that servers can actually keep up with thousands of people fighting in a single system.

As soon as they finally announce that Star Citizen will be smaller or private servers, it's going to be a loving torrential downpour of tears because all of these jpegs that people have sunk thousands of dollars into will be worth even less than they currently are

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
CIG has spent more money on their offices than they have on actual game development

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I joked about applying before but I'm actually overqualified for the marketing position (minus video game industry); the masochist in me wants to go deep cover and take part in the profiting off of these idiot backers

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Not sure this is a good idea, friend. Don’t do something silly for lols. :)

It would indeed be hilarious but not worth losing a full digit

The ironic part is that CIG is not beyond saving if they had actual management in place; instead of whatever bullshit CR and Sandi do.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Anyone else getting 504 errors on the forums? :ohdear:

They finally found our only weakness; ddosing something awful dot com

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

Goons aren't really a force they used to be anyway at the heigh of Eve. Would have never made much noise in SC even if it was actually a real thing. Just check out the MMO forum for the sadness. Last major PvP game released was Archeage, where after a fun and wild beta, the goon leadership promptly declared fishing pacts with all the pubbie guilds. Then started outright banning goons for killing or griefing pubbies, which was really the whole point of the game. "You killed this random internet person in a PvP game while he was fishing!!! You did not review the terms of these 100 fishing agreements to make sure that this particular person was actually covered! BAN". Then everyone quit.

This is mostly due to burnout; waiting for a new replacement to Eve...

If SC was a real thing I'd expect goons to come out in droves because of the pristine salt mines that are just begging to be tapped.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

If SC comes out as it appears to be heading, even if it were fully functional I can’t see droves of people anymore. Even barring the toxic community, manually loading cargo boxes is going to kill people alone.

The very concept of Star Citizen is a boring game with badly planned mechanics to get people interested. :(

Oh, for sure. The current path of Star Citizen (lol) is total poo poo and goons aren't going to come out of the woodwork to "play".

I was referencing the Literal Dream Version that people are throwing thousands of dollars at; if that game were actually produced, the swarm would emerge again.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Titanic, I take it you never played with Eve goons?

The point isn't to partake in dumb mechanics that sperglords froth over. The point is to procedurally decimate any fragments of enjoyment that such players would get from stacking boxes hours on end.

Imagine said sperglord builds a nice neat box fort to show off to all his friend. He happens to be streaming his box building escapades on twitch to his usual crowd of 4 people while giving them the step by step rundown of what he's building. Except today, he gets a fifth viewer...

First, you start off slow. Offer some help moving boxes from a-b so sperg can focus on his cargobay fort. Maybe even make a suggestion or two to keep him from tunnel visioning on the precise measurements of the ramp into his fort (sperglords has ptsd from avocado testing).

Once his box fort is done, offer praise and applause along with the two other viewers and bot. Make him feel good about himself and talk about how lucky he is to have such a great shop and box fort. Talk to him about always dreaming about having such a ship, but you only had a part time job at McDonald's so you were to RL poor to afford one....

Once you're on his ship, you open the hangar doors from the inside and a swarm of shittily equipped idiots appear that wreck the fort and steal all his crates... And then commissar the sperglord live on his own stream.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

no_recall posted:

Current guesses for their black friday / anniversary week sale. (in millions).

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
big nipples big life - 1.7
Zzr - 4.2

Did i miss anyone? Keep them coming.

Prizes are random games from Humble Bundles. Everyone is getting something at this rate.

I'm a page or two behind, but I'll take a stab with 2.69 million

I was going to suggest way more but I have a good feeling about the upcoming burndown

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I'm having a really hard time trying to explain how selling in game items should effect GDP

any actual economists itt that can explain this

e: technically it falls under service as entertainment but jesus christ

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

Nope. Still bad.

Still better content than Star Citizen

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

the tone of that article makes it sound like 3.0 is :frogsiren: days away :frogsiren:

Christmas has come early this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
When does this sale start? I had to come into the loving office today; what a joke. I need something to keep my spirits high.