Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

So, with a new thread, does that mean we get a new stimpire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

The romance in Alpha Protocol with SIE is perfect. :colbert:

It smells like cat piss and tuna! :magical:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Change "Star Citizen" to "Chris Roberts career" and you've got it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Daztek posted:

Where is MoMA, I need someone to tell me everything will be okay

Don't worry commando, everything is okay.

Right now.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Not sure I'm doing it right :shrug:

loving game development, how does it work???

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Why offload it? If CIG collapses, the .jpgs will be priceless collectors items.

The value will go up uP UP

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Random citizen, January 2020 posted:

So yes, it didn't turn out the way I would have wanted it to - but the implications of Star Citizen's ceased development are much less important than the fact that it was attempted in the first place. With hindsight, it might be easy to proclaim its goals to be impossible, but the fact that the destination wasn't reached does not imply the journey was in vain. I'm proud to have been a (small but loyal and sincere) part of Star Citizen's history, and I wouldn't trade my part of it for any amount of money - the dollars I can (very easily) replenish, the experience is unique.

This is a real quote from a real citizen, right?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Welp, I guess I was fooled.

Sad trombone

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I mostly hope they don't vanish. I honestly think some of those people need to see their failures in the eyes and be forced to learn from them.

Some will be smart and get out and get a refund.

Others will chalk it up to a learning experience, a very expensive learning experience.

Others still will blame Derek Smart and his legion of goons/alts for spreading FUD, and refund cascade, etc. etc.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?

In defense of HBS (not that they need it), they have actually released several games in the last couple of years, unlike Clown Imperium Gunk.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Very likely imo, but not quite yet

Oh well, quote development takes time, I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

intardnation posted:

I am out - thanks moma for all the help!
No longer a star shitizen and I feel free. Can I still laugh and point now that I dont have skin in the game?

Good job, commando o4

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tokamak posted:

Today's patch doesn't have any of the missing features, and introduced a couple of game breaking bugs.

:tif:

Patching succesfl

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

So here is a little musing: Do you think the staggering incompetence displayed by CIG is intentional?

A filtering process, like in those Nigerian scam emails, where it is suuuuuper obvious that it is a scam, and therefore anyone, even the dumbest, would immediately discard it. But the people that fall for it are so dumb, they're never going to catch on, and as such is a "safe bet" when it comes to giving money to shady people.

With star citizen, the game is so badly made, and has been for so long, nobody in their right mind would look at it and say "yes, this looks good. This is up to 2016 standards"

So is it a filtering process that attracts only the most broken stupid people, and then milks them for everything they have?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

orcane posted:

I'm dying...

He's not wrong. He just forgot to mention it was done by someone else than CIG.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

orcane posted:

I like deluded people on the internet, they're funny.

Me too. And the best part: there's an infinite supply of them. :v:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

SC Product Lifecycle chart has been updated

Star Citizen 1.0?

Surely you mean 3.0

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

I want to see SQ42 drop in its entirety next year (2017) and real progress made with the (star)systems.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

That's him in the Lumberyard.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

It's ok, he wasn't actually Alpharius.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Posting on page 42, woohoo!

edit: god dammit too slow!

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 15, 2017

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Trilobite posted:

Google Translate is a harsh mistress.

I imagine he wanted to convey that they ask for money every month and people give it to them, which means that they can keep expanding the scope of the game (or at least claim that the new money flowing in is going to make the game better in some way).

Given their history so far, though, it really comes off as "We ask for money every month and people give it to us, and as long as that keeps working, we can keep doing what we've been doing. But if that constant monthly income stops for some reason, we're going to have to come up with a scaled-back plan for the project to finish it with whatever money we've got left."

Every time they receive money they expand the scope, driving people to give them more money.

An ouroboros of greed and stupidity.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Was this made with google translate? I need to know because of a joke in the buttcoin thread.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I was inspired by it. I wonder what the overlap is between Smarties and Buttcoiners, at least as big as the one between Whales and Bitcoiners I suspect.

I suspect there is some correlation. After all, a movement of idiots will attract a movement of people willing to laugh at their idiocy.

This is good for star citizen because

edit: here is my tax you snowflakes.

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 16, 2017

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I think you can turn off loot anims in FC4. There is an option for it somewhere.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Excuse me if I don't take your word on what is and isn't funny.

Hello commando, how much have you spent on this joke so far?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Ask your dad.

gently caress you dad, you're not even my real mom!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe I'm just being sceptic, but I very much doubt that will happen.

taxxe:

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

aleksendr posted:

To quote : An Ouroboros of bad desing decision and Greed.

Nearly everyone with an interest in SQ42 is already entitled to it but the money they paid for is already long gone, spent on vacation and unusable mocap data.

They must peddle the thing to some new cash, but where to find it ?

Well, You're not wrong, but have you considered that to launch on consoles you need an actual legit working product, and not just ~dreams~?

SQ42 is as likely on consoles as it is on PC.

Also, I used the word legit.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

aleksendr posted:

Thats why i want them to do it.

Finally release something that can be judged on its on merit, no pre-al;pha, work-in-progress, it-will-get-better, just-wait-for-the-jesus-patch they have been using to hide behind for 3 years.

Oh I'd love that too, it would be a slapstick comedy of errors.

But more likely, they're going to announce a console version, and probably follow it up with some pre order bullshit or other wonderful opportunity to give CIG more money. And that'll be the end of it. And the whales will shove more money into the garbage fire.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

CIG can release whatever piece of poo poo MVP they want on the PC and there is nothing the whales can do, not so in the consoles. Someone in a publisher is going to have to put his name in the delivery voucher. I doubt they'd be tricked with another Pupil to Planet movie.

The likelihood of a release is still zero. On all platforms.

:thejoke:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

I think Chris said that SQ42 would sell at least five million copies, on top of all the copies that have been preordered already

Well, if Chris said it, then it must be true.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I don't understand reddit, and their scrutiny of your posting history. Why is it so important to submit yourself to the neck bearded inquisition?

They could learn a lot from :justpost:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Chalks posted:

I wonder what the backer reaction will be when the saviour of pc gaming confirms that they're spending backer funds on a console port? Obviously they'll lie about it not compromising the fidelity of the game and say that it won't delay anything but what percentage of the backers will buy that and for how many will it be the final straw?

It's going to be a big revelation when they finally admit to it.

They're going to be very salty. SC being PC exclusive puts them in an elevated position where they can lord over all the console peasants and filthy casuals. With a console release, or at least announcement, that unique privilege is taken away.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Madcosby posted:

Just curious, how would people in thjs thread rate derek smarts games?

Everything I've seen of them suggest that they're crap. So I won't play them.

But that means I can't ever give a good answer, not having first hand knowledge.

Make what you will of that.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

REFUNDS!? YOU GAVE THEM REFUNDS!?
\

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I don't think these dimwits understand why watermarks are a thing. What a surprise.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Irony, thy name is fuckwit.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Baxta posted:

I gotta ask. I googled but it didnt help.

What the gently caress is Subsumption in regards to Star Citizen? Wikipedia just basically says its typed inheritance. Why say subsumption?

Idiots are fooled by big words that sound technical. This helps establish authority, and thus helps scam idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

trucutru posted:

Chris Roberts said here is a sweet ambush point.

Have the AI bark the audio that Chris Roberts approved.

Chris Roberts thinks this is laid out to be a memorable encounter.

Over a decade ago I played FEAR and I had some memorable encounters. Like killing most of a group of soldiers, and listening to their leader telling the last man to go attack me. He responded with "gently caress you, Sir!" or something in that line. That was memorable.

Meanwhile, in Star Citizen, a commando clips through a floor and the game crashes. Memorable, but in another way.