Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Hello friends.

I truly hope everyone is doing well, physically, mentally, and in all other ways. Hope the same for the misguided backers and the overworked employees of CIG. Life's too short to spend it miserable, furious, or otherwise dispirited.

For those who wondered, I'm still alive. Had some health issues a year back. Took a break from a lot of things, including from posting in this often wonderful and informative thread. Glad to see its gentled up some from when I left.

Anyway, awkward member re-insertion banter aside, here is a new infographic about 3.0, for those of you who like those sort of things.

I'm aiming for fairness, so please post suggested corrections if it seems biased.

EDIT: I’m dropping the final December 2017 version of the infographic into this old post below. This serves as the 1.0 Public Release Build of the image but also as the full summary of the 3.0 Overpromise then Underdeliver cycle.

(Plus, it’ll make it easier for me to find it when I need it...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Oh my sweet frogbear, growing more sentient by the day.

Thank you all for your individual warm welcomes and kind words- I really appreciate it!

Daztek posted:

Hello friend, typo near the bottom :ohdear:

DAMMIT DAZ! (But thank you, also.)

[timg][/timg]

(The above includes a second correction caused by carelessness... )

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 18, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Toblakai posted:

Hello friend,
if I interpret your infographic well (nice job, btw), does this mean that the sun of the system is not going to be released with 3.0? If so, how the gently caress one release a star system without the star. Sorry, if the question is stupid.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Welcome back Gorf, you absence has been felt.
Great to have you back!

Also, they said that the sun was emitting all the light in the verse... if the sun isn't in the release.... how exactly are they lighting the place?

Thank you!

The existence or absence of Stanton's star (a dwarf G) from 3.0 is unclear to me, from what I've read. That was probably the chart detail I was least certain about.

I consider a star properly in the system if it can be physically approached in space, as opposed to being an inaccessible, static light source.

I don't assume it is, but perhaps I'm wrong about this. If it can be approached (and presumably blow up your ship if you get too close) then that would meet the minimum requirement for me and I'd definitely correct it. I want this to be an honest depiction of their plans.

toanoradian posted:

What does the ">1" of the amount of star systems mean?

My eyesight is failing. I missed that. Here is a correction.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 18, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Concerning timeline:

September 14th, 2015: Chris set the ground work for people not getting 100 star systems immediately. It was in 104TC Episode 66: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGTj2iWkS-8&t=854s
September 24, 2016: "One of the long-term schedule challenges is building out the universe that we've – in all the stretch goals, we got up to 100 star systems, I think we have 110 now – we're not going to have them all done on the day of release." http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-chris-roberts-on-star-citizen-procedural-planets-alpha3-citizencon

Thanks for making this point, and to DarkOff for a similar one.

I've adjusted wording on the chart so that it doesn't give the appearance that news of downsized launch systems broke with the recent Gamestar interview. I don't really have the room in this particular timeline to stretch back to 2015 and show it as a multi-stage process, but I think this solves the problem of inaccuracy.

I now need to catch up with the newer pages here. Hopefully I didn't miss any other corrections (though happy to make them.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 18, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Welcome back G0RF. It's good to have you back, here at the end of all things.

Thank you, ScruffPuff (and the many others welcoming me back.)

Though things do seem rather grim presently... "but maybe that crazy ol' star dreamer has got a few tricks up his sleeve yet!"

"Can I hear an amen?"

"Anybody?"

"Anyone?"

"MOMA?"

his nibs posted:

Ages behind but hello dude, I missed your seminal posting.

Sorry to hear about your health, but you're feeling better :)

Thank you! I deleted the earlier ones to reduce risk of circulating erroneous info. But the new one is in thread now. I'll post a link in a sec.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Latin Pheonix posted:

Btw Gorf, i love the infographic but there's one small mistake: crusader isn't even fully implemented yet, thats's 'planned' for 3.2. If anything it's even more embarrassingly empty.

I still don't get it though, how are the supporters not furious that CR broke the news to a game mag before them!?!?

Yeah, I know that it's just a big floating sphere right now, a far cry from this:

and this:

quote:

The planet then became home to a military-constructed latticework of habitable floating platforms, since expanded exponentially to suit the needs of Crusader Industries. The situation is unusual, but ideal for Crusader, which makes large-scale commercial transport ships which would otherwise need to be built beyond the atmosphere. Being built in open air allows the cost of these ships to be reduced by almost 40% on the back end, which is often passed along to consumers. The company also provides quality housing for their employees — both in planetside domes and in habitats woven into the latticework — and the portion of the world available to visitors is usually considered the nicest port in the system. The shipyards themselves are eerily beautiful, with huge transport ships suspended in mid-atmosphere surrounded by a lighted webbing of Crusader facilities.
But I felt like I had to give it to them.

It's the MVP Crusader, but there's something technically there, desperately awaiting the assets and artwork that will transform it from a placeholder to a place of wonder. That at least distinguishes it from the rest of the planets in Stanton, along with (I believe) the Star, and the several dozen additional space stations Chris also casually mentioned would be added to Stanton before its Christmas 2016 launch...

(also just adding for all while writing this, thank you to everyone else who has written nice messages to me in the thread since the last time I said thanks. I sincerely appreciate it everybody.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Whew!

So it took me awhile to read through all the comments about the chart on /Games. Though there were lots of crazed invocations of Derek Smart, demonizations of goons, and other overreactions, I did see a few fair criticisms that I've addressed in this latest update.

1). The inclusion of the reduction percentages was redundant. Fair enough. I deleted that.

2) Chris' quote didn't include his "I get shot for making promises but that's our goal" escape clause, the line that retroactively makes it all okay. So I included that, too.

3) I also added his mention of the 30 to 40 space stations that would be coming in 3.0. (We'll see how that turns out.)

4) I also fixed a graphical problem that had white boxes behind the Planet names in the Stanton layout.

So here's the latest version. If you're a DS lurker who feels like the last one was flawed or shortchanged Chris's quote, hopefully you might find this an improvement. I'm trying to be fair, even if stern.

I have to admit, lurking friends, some of your reactions were a little frustrating, given that I'd tried to avoid editorializing. The focus of the piece was timelines, quotes, and scopes for Star Systems in Alpha 3.0.

The accusations that the infographic was a part of some organized FUD campaign were especially ironic, given that some of you tried to preemptively trying to counter an anticipated Derek Smart tweet and in so doing ended up creating a non-paywalled source for the /Games OP to reference.

I didn't make the chart hoping for a /GAMES thread to blow up, or a MassivelyOP mention, or a psychodrama to unfold on /DS. I made it for my friends here on the forum, most of whom I haven't interacted with in a year, because organizing historical facts is something I like to do. It's clear to us by now that Chris Roberts doesn't learn from history because he keeps repeating it, so we keep discussing it, yet what I don't understand is why you keep defending it?

Surely I have my own biases, as do we all, but why rage about what strangers think on some random forum? Your recurring tendency to discount the observable past while exaggerating the imagined future produces the present tensions that discomfit you so. The relief you seek yet can't find won't come from excoriating random nobodies for discussing their opinions about troubling development issues or deceptive sales tactics. You are the publisher. The ones to whom pledges have been made for accountability and openness. You're intellectually and emotionally malnourished from the parody of it served up by a guy who believes himself accountable to no one and above all reproach. A man who hasn't once in the entire history of this project ever apologized for anything despite having either intentionally or inadvertently mislead you about matters of genuine consequence for years.

You deserve better than to be full-time apologists for that. I sincerely believe that --- why don't you?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mostly Dead posted:

I think that in the timeline, you have Citizencon 2016 labeled as Citizencon 2017.

Ayya! The sad thing is that before I posted the first one in the thread, I proofed it a couple of times.

"Spent enough time on this -- needs to be perfect..."

Yet so many little errors escaped my blasted eyes. (old person sigh)

Thanks for pointing it out, though! Here's the corrected version.

sorla78 posted:

I appreciate that infographic Gorf, it's a beautiful thing. What's missing that really gives you the insight into the staggering promises that Star Citizen makes and the tiny progress they have to show, is when you wade through their star map and add the whole universe, with all its systems, planets, moons, jump points, landing zones and other space oddities, I mean, just think about how many space stations and other points of interest are going to be created for this (which haven't really been quantified nor qualified for the whole of the universe), and how Chris R certainly pushes them to be unique enough, so that they don't feel repativive - so a lot of time is going to be dedicated on them, regardless of the procedural generation - which then really if you add up the assets and artists available, showcases that Star Citizen is going to be a generational project, that most probably/certainly is going to limit backers for a long time to Stanton.

I share this dismal opinion.

In the case of the chart, I tried to stay high level for simplicity's sake. That Stanton as envisioned for 3.0 represents 0.25% of the 100 systems is only true if all the second-level assets (non-stellar objects like Stations, Cities, Bases, "the floating areas around Crusader", etc.) are complete and in Alpha 3.0. They won't be. Even with 400+ employees, fully fleshing out that single system to a level commensurate with expectations seems pretty hopeless to me, unless they mass duplicate stations and landing pads, or designate the supposedly dense-with-industry planets as unapproachable by craft.

Radical simplification of the deliverable is the only hope, and not just at the asset level. Mechanics long missing may meet similar fates, and indeed, anytime I hear talk of "emergent gameplay" from a developer, it hits with the sharp rubbered thump of a football punted from deep in the opposition's field.

Perhaps this explains CIG's cosplay ambitions?

"Do you want to Bounty Hunt in Star Citizen? Here's your costume -- let the adventure begin!"

And there you sit, in your $300 RSI Bounty Hunter outfit, contending with a crap flight mechanic and sputtering frame rates as you log in to Spectrum and search for user-generated missions awaiting completion.

"Take my Bounty Mission! Kill the troll PGabz and I will send you money by PayPal since there's no in-game transfer economy yet."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 19, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lazrin posted:

but props to gorf on the infographic, it's well done, accurate and informative. too bad the biased commentary skews it rather than just being pure data.

Here's a Pure Data edition, friend. Just for you.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ewe2 posted:

I think it's wonderful that you come back and a lurker felt utterly compelled to archive you. We are living rent-free in their heads.
They need to be archiving your tunes. And discussing them at length!

AbstractNapper posted:

So, I took a another look at their "schedule" page.

Delamar is mentioned as a planet. (Is it? GORF's infographic shows it as a moon)

This is also not updated as complete or not, even though other tasks have been marked as feature complete.

Also, lol, volumetric fog is still not updated as feature complete, and still says "ETA is 9th June (was 30th May)".

Yeah I opted to keep things pretty simple for the graphic tho it's anything but.

Technically Delamar is an asteroid the size of a minor planet, the largest of its kind in its asteroid belt in Nyx)... but not actually in Nyx to start because it's coming to Stanton in 3.0 first... tho there's a chance it might not be in 3.0 at launch ... and even if it is it would be without its asteroid belt because ... (insert further hand waving blah blah here followed by a non-sequitur Moma belt reference.)

So I opted for a moon icon instead of adding an asteroid one, even though they call it a planet.

Bofast posted:

Good post, G0rf, you even taught me a new word today :golfclap:

Thank you.

It apparently met with the warmest of receptions elsewhere. Comity ensued.

"You know what? It wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the world of we all actually turned out to be friends..."

Mr Fronts posted:

If anyone is still triggered, here's a safer option:

So awesome. :five:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 20, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Gorf, do you know if the delta patcher was going live with 3.0?

The Delta Force is working on it! (volume alert...)

D_Smart posted:

And there's the problem. The reason they have to move (LOL!!) it to Stanton is because they can't do planets, only moons and planetoids. Since there are no planetoids in Stanton, they decided to move Delamar from Nyx to Stanton so they can have the moons, and a planetoid.

Yeah, I assume as they were planning out their Gamescom demonstration, they took stock of what they had lying around asset-wise and said, "Well, we did do all that Nyx work a couple years ago that we never released -- why not use Levski for it?"

So then it's the centerpiece of their 3.0 demo, but now they're obligated themselves to shoehorn Delamar in to Stanton, though it makes little sense. It bears the telltale ad hoc-iness of so much of their development prioritization. It's got to be exhausting to the developers, having to fly by the seat of Chris' pants all the time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that.

Nyx is an entirely different star system which they haven't built. So leaving Delamar where it is, would have meant building the Nyx star system, when in fact they only have Stanton (15% built, if you counted all the elements in the Star map, compared to what's in the current game client) built. So they just said, gently caress it, we'll just move it, and give those Spergs a planet that's not really a planet.
Yeah, I know they're different systems. I just meant that we know that they'd been working on Nyx Asteroid Mining Colony resources as far back as 2014, and that they'd kept working on it in 2015, and by 2016, when they were looking at what they wanted to hype for 2.7 later known as 3.0 (but really maybe arguably only 2.8) they may have said:

quote:

"Well, we need a cool demo for Gamescom, and we've got all this Nyx asteroid mining crap built up we haven't used yet. Why don't we shoehorn Delamar and Levski into the 3.0 demo so we don't have to start from scratch, and we can just have Chris handwave its inclusion away on stage and create the appearance that everything is right around the corner while we spend the remaining time trying to flesh out all the other crap we haven't built yet."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

It's true, some of us discount the imagined future. Considering all the imaged futures that lie discarded along Chris Roberts' road to the present, it seems the reasonable course of action.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

:yeah:
It's a beautiful infographic information aside. Is it made in photoshop or something else? Just curious.

Hey thank you.

It was mostly built in Adobe illustrator to match earlier and last year's much despised evil goon charts which are, incidentally, still completely accurate over a year later -- apart from the additional of new ships.

ZenMaster posted:

Why are the space chariots fighting around Milford Sound, New Zealand?

This is just so great -- I was gone a year yet everything in CIG land is just the same as when I left.

Nothing has changed. No Squadron got Star Marine'd, 3.0 got gutted, CIG is still archering, the DS brigade still is on hair-trigger alert seeing conspiracies to defame CIG everywhere and Derek as the secret Puppet Master behind it all rather than Chris Roberts irrefutable history of exaggerations and mismanagement...

Sorry to just sputter on about it but it's just really awesome to see.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Nothing has changed really apart from everything is worse somehow

Stop spreading FUD, goonie, and start spreading F.U.N.! Fantastically Unbelievable News about the incredible game Chris Roberts is making.

These Interesting Facts about the game will help you get started!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 21, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Differo Cathedra posted:

None of these are real right? Some goon made these to poke fun at citizens. I will accept no other explanation.

I dunno they look pretty real to me. I learned some things from reading them.

1 - Chris's programming skills are so legendary his internal nickname is "The Code Whisperer". I guess the "golden hands" rumors were true

2 - Squadron 42 is coming out this year.

3 - There is more fidelity in a single character eyeball in Star Citizen than in the entire player model of Zelda: BOTW and you will be able to zoom in and watch pupillary reactions in those high-fidelity eyeballs while laser fire flashes around you if you want to unless you are a console peasant, in which case you have base tastes and lack financial means.

4 - Star Citizen is "the world's first Quadruple A game" and nobody can compete with them.

5 - Elite's cosmetic sales are "unseemly", whereas "Star Citizen isn't about the money, it's about the vision!"

So much I didn't appreciate before and it's frankly making it harder for me to keep doubting things.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"Because only Rockstar can compete.....maybe" - chris Roberts, and absolute loving pigdick of a human.

He's making the world's first Quadruple A game, man.

Cut him some slack.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MilesK posted:

I thought it was Triple AAA.

Triple AAA. Quadruple A. Whatever it takes!

quote:

Also whatever happened to Karl?

I'm not sure though I've not paid too close attention to the human timebombs out there. When it comes to the defense force, I prefer snarky but reasonable MOMA-types over the M.O.B.A.-types like Karl. Tick tock, indeed!

Meridian posted:

Good morning, space friends.

Hey Meredian if you're still taking names for Xcom squaddies, I'd love to be up in dat. I'm biased towards robots but whatever class you're short on is cool.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 21, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

doingitwrong posted:

The one thing we should have learned by now is that time and Star Citizen makes fools of us all. The SC faithful have been so sure that total success is just around the corner for so long. And the SC skeptics have been so sure that total collapse has been just around the corner for so long. And everyone has been wrong.

Star Citizen continues to defy expectations in all directions. It lumbers along blatantly defying the laws of physics, finances, and project management and it just can't die. But it can't live either. And everyone involved, with each passing month, finds themselves thinking "surely it can't continue". Surely they have to release something. Surely there has to be progress. Surely they'll have to come clean. Surely it can't go on like this. But it goes on.

This is purgatory. We are caught in purgatory--in the limbo between dreams and disaster. The people who have forgotten Star Citizen are the only ones who are free. We who choose to watch this slow collapse are just as trapped as those who hope they are watching a slow assembly. Time has no meaning here for us. We repeat actions and complaints and sick burns and pizza fights endlessly. We will do this for eternity. All of us, together, in these grey stimperial wastes.

Sagacious summary, and the more closely you watch it, the slower the clock ticks.

This is why debates about the future are folly, even moreso prognostications about specific ones. The road ahead is forever in fog -- Chris himself controls the fog machine. Does it lead off a cliff hidden just around the bend? Is it a few more miles of sylvan scenery heading straight to Shangri La? So long as the fog swallows all ahead, no one can truly say. This serves him quite well. After all, he has many means to buy more time, to fund further road work -- new loans, concept sales, private investors -- and these transpire in the fog of his making.

But the road behind is as clear as the one ahead is opaque. It is far less open for debate, and all but the most fanatical will concede its been been a misbegotten zigzaggy marathon with far too many dead-ends, missteps and circle-backs to speak well of the navigator. This hasn't humbled his certainty in his fitness to lead. So long as his glycerin supplies last, he can blanket the future in clouds and claim it still leads to The Promised Land and ignore whatever fights blow up between believers and heretics, zealots and haters.

He has an acute need to attract new followers, for the road work continues and the clouds mustn't clear. His methods for attracting more haven't changed since the Kickstarter -- promise he knows the way to Xanadu and sell tickets to those who would go there with him. But debates about how much road he's got left or whether he knows where he's going have little purchase these days. Everyone is exhausted of them. The notoriety around the project comes as much from viciousness of the fights as from the excitement about the possibilities.

Those who would have constructive conversations will focus not on the future but the past, for it has a predictive power of its own that is far more difficult to refute or resist. The future isn't certain but far more can be known of it by looking in the rear-view mirror than through the front windshield.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Anecdotal claims of cig-affiliated leakers running bogus disinfo campaigns to Derek -- all with cig's tacit approval -- have been a two year recurring claim on /dereksmart. What amazes me is the gleefulness some there take in the thought. It would be bad news for cig, not good, were it true.

If they have colluded with parties in that fashion, endorsed efforts to misinform their most notorious critic in his ongoing war of words against them, then they look far worse than he does for the effort. It speaks so ill of their basic judgement and corporate character, as if they needed any more evidence to pile on the stack.

Anyone familiar with their public record at this point can point to myriad, irrefutable examples of dishonesty and incompetence. Bad leaks because "muh Puppetmastering" (strokes beard, nods approvingly) don't dilute the case against cig, they distill it, so if there's even a smattering of truth to it, they'd be wise to clamp down on their gleeful congratulators. It may appear mad clever to the zealotry, but to most far less invested in the "War Between Saintly Chris & Evil Derek" narrative, it looks like as unseemly as stupid, and cig doesn't need to rock that look any more than they already have.

Combat Theory posted:

Fidelity first in mind, cig introduced a time buffer into the prediction code. This time buffer allocates a certain amount of movement lag between the physical ship and it's visual representation. It intentionally desyncs the visual ship from the actual combat code so to speak. All for havin the fidelity of smooth movement on your client.

This comes with huge tradeoffs. Their entire combat model is now desynced from the visual happening by a distance of speed*time buffer. Usually between 20-70 meters.

That means their entire procedural damage model (which is shader based on the ship model), their targeting solutions, their hit registration and hit recognition, their entire combat model... Is off by a ridiculous amount. Stuff like the damage model or explosive projectiles which use check physics with either three visual or the physical model simply refuse to work. You can't use explosive projectiles in multiplayer. The damage model doesn't display in multiplayer. And it has been that way since late 2015.

This is the water on the Mills of us who say the game is doomed. Much more than any dubious happening behind the scenes. Everyone can see this. Everyone can experience this.

:five: post!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 23, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

I think we witness the evolution of counter-FUD right now.

What will happen next? Goons asking citizens to stop spreading FUD?

I did just that recently here, and included my own attempt at positive facts to be excited about. But hardly anybody obliged.

Feelsbadman.jpg

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Rudager posted:

That's the Citizen's narrative on the situation, that Braben is a money hungry tyrant for charging $40 for an expansion.

No they do not see the irony in their statements either.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

The funny thing is though, they are so good the Gary Parpman in the corner is the only thing that gives a clue, everything else about it seem written by the devoted SC crowd.

Originally I didn't have it, and left the TBH name untouched. But I felt like if it left the thread it could cause him extra grief, make him look like a traitor. That hardly seemed fair since it's just parodying fanboyism.

So minor adjustments were made so it for the F.U.N.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lazrin posted:

that's why it's a concept sale. it's tough, i know.

and it's almost like they're not trying to hide it.

Hey friend. You never replied to the revised chart I made for you.

Did you get any use out of it? Or the goon-redacted one that followed?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lazrin posted:

oh i missed it. you did something just for me? can you link it?

Lazrin posted:

but props to gorf on the infographic, it's well done, accurate and informative. too bad the biased commentary skews it rather than just being pure data.

Here's a Pure Data edition, friend. Just for you.

Also here are some objectively Interesting Facts about the game. I think you will agree there's no F.U.D. on display here, just FUN!

Variable 5 posted:

You should have included Sandi's name for extra hilarity/authenticity.

Then it would be overtly faked -- homegirl doesn't work! She just shows up for acting gigs on ATV and fights back tears on stage twice a year thinking about how her one bonafide shot at Hollywood glory got Star Marine'd by The Code Whisperer...

I really liked that the original user name was TBH. The TBQH variation felt like a gently ironic callback. Not too obvious but still distinct.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 25, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lazrin posted:

good stuff, the chart is great when you leave the cruft out...

i'm gonna laminate it

Awesome. Then it will not have been in vain.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Gorf, your chart is popping up in game articles without them crediting you. If I was you I would demand at least two jpegs in payment.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58522/star-citizen-alpha-3-lets-land-moon/index.html

Drunk Theory posted:

Wow, comes back from a year hiatus and he's already Ryan Archer'd all over the internet. Impressive typing G0RF

Wow that's funny. Well, whatever helps clarify public understanding -- the story must be told, after all.

Beet Wagon posted:

G0RF, Warrior with Unstoppable FUD

I dunno Beet, if Lazrin is laminating it for his wall, it can't be FUD, right?

I mean, the only editorial content is a Chris Roberts quote from a year ago, stating his goal of delivering, 4 planets, 12 planets, 30 - 40 Moons and several long-awaited new game mechanics before December 19th of that year.

So much ambition and confidence can't help but be inspiring to read -- last year, this year or any year!

Variable 5 posted:

You overestimate the True Believers.

I try not to -- "You gotta believe!"

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 25, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The first picture is great for the smiling Sandi/I'm-barely-tolerating-you dichotomy

The second picture makes me want to punch babies for some reason

I think you maybe took the wrong things away from The Road to CitizenCon.

Allow me to redirect your attention to the true messages:

quote:

"Just do it!

"This is like the Star Wars game we never got!"

"Nobody else could do a show like that!"

"The Dune reference it just does not get enough live in sci-fi!"

"It's got like.... SPACEWORMS!!!"

"The game will come out when the game comes out."

"I definitely backed the right game!"

"If it weren't for you all (sniff sniff) I don't know how I could do my job."

"One of the reasons I backed the game and I know MANY people backed the game was to provide Chris Roberts the FREEDOM from publishers, the freedom from compromise, to do this things the WAY they're supposed to do them and to push these things as far as not only technology but as the best people making the game can push them!"

"We don't want to disappoint people but it's for the best."

"There's an old saying that "a delayed game is good eventually but a bad game is bad forever" -- crowdfunding lets us put that to the test. This has been the sentiment throughout."

"Whenever we do demos Chris is usually talking through the demos and he's not really looking at the demo, but if you see him, he was like looking up at the screen, and he had this grin on his face, you know? You could tell he was proud."

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Mr. Anthony is willing to credit a goon. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/anthony256/status/889687220583489536

*I linked your post Gorf*

Rekt.

Now people will know to discount it as Pie Chart FUD from a Jurassic-era HTML forum populated by Derek Smart worshippers and alts who fear that that this incredible game might actually get made and thereby advance PC Gaming and rebuke the demonic publishers who are probably paying us to pretend we're not amazed and who knows they probably even had their graphics monkeys send us that chart it makes sense if you think about it.

(But thank you for the kindness. I don't really care about credit, it's just sobering data visualized cleanly -- but the consideration is thoughtful all the same.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pretty sure it was Bootcha.

It was. His whole collection is priceless.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

This is hilarious but truly, I don't care about credit, goon valor or archering. They're just pie charts that make the bad news easier to quickly apprehend. The true author is the Code Whisperer himself, Chris Roberts. I'm just glad he's on our side!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I will take one for the team AP and watch this.

Meridian posted:

Speaking of X-COM. G0RF, psionics is pretty much off the table since we're playing from behind pretty hardcore right now in our current campaign. As compromise you're definitely going in Squad A during our next campaign.

I will not let you down. Unless I somehow panic under pressure. In which case I blame Derek because he stole muh goon valor!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I honestly don't fault him.

MoMA might be in the camp of 'true believer' for Star Citizen, but he isn't an rear end in a top hat, and he's been pretty fair and frank with the forum.

So I have a request for the Thread: Be nicer to MoMA. Give him the benefit of the doubt by default. I'd argue MoMA seems reasonable, and as such, it's a matter of time before he's Beer 2.0.

To that end, I have a question for MoMA: CIG has delivered pretty much nothing that you'd hope they'd deliver by this time. This game isn't going anywhere and I really want to see you get a refund before it's too late. When are you going to get that refund? What's the trigger going to be?

I know my sabbatical from posting here discounts my opinion on this, but I agree.

I like MOMA's plucky spirit, even though he rarely responded to me directly last time I was here. I appreciate that he rolls with the punches and sometimes throws his own. He's produced a lot of laughs, often intentionally. As far as CIG advocates in the thread go, he's the MVP.

i_still_believe_in_MOMA.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Man Erris is melting down over the 5 - 10 planets hubbub.

Or more accurately, he's melting down over other people melting down about it.

I guess if you believe cig will snap their fingers and fill the game with procedurally generated cities on your procedurally generated planets, alive with procedurally generated NPCs of astonishing intelligence, maybe it does seem childish to complain abour only getting a handful.

Never thought I'd say this, but they need Dolvak back. He's a voice of reason by comparison.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

actually one year ago stat marine was still mia

so then, last year, they put out 2.6 sometime in...october? with star marine.

that's been the last update. there hasn't been a real update (besides bug fixes) to the PU in a long time. Nothing this year, for certain.

It's kinda surreal how much 3.0 has become the new Star Marine in every way.

Both hyped to the teeth with trailers and bleeding edge features. Both right around the corner for months. Both missing their launch windows whereafter backers grew restive and angry, leading to big rage parties on forums, with total silence ensuing for a half year after.

Then cautiously, after the fury had cooled, CIG started the rollout plan for a gutted, downsized facsimile that fell painfully short of the original pitch.

Oh well, that's more than they've managed for Squadron.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

:five:

A vision of the future of Star Citizen in microcosm, if, somehow, it ever makes it to release..

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mne nravitsya posted:

Corberts arrives at Gamescom, shortly after announcing that 3.0 will not be available for backers until mid-2018

:five: :five: :five:

This is hilarious.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Chris Roberts, making the hard calls on Squadron 42.

Quavers posted:

Great stuff.

:five:

It's pretty incredible, really.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 30, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Wiz posted:

Unneccessary snoopy caps is a major issue facing today's cutting-edge dev studios and surely the cause of 3.0 delays.

You just don't understand game development.

(Christ what an obsessive micromanager. I *very* rarely order changes to finished art assets because I approved the drat concept and more importantly, I trust my artists. Really only happens when there are technical/gameplay concerns or we want to schedule time to add more detail. I can't imagine how demoralizing it would be if I did it as a matter of course.)

Sorry, Wiz, you may have some released titles under your belt, may have lots of players and positive reviews, but your reply betrays just how compromised your vision is by the constraints of traditional models of development and release.

It's what we armchair developers like to call "stinkin' thinkin'".

It's time to throw off the shackles, step out of the prison that is your mind and embrace the paradigm shift standing right before you, eager to free you, enlighten you, deliver you to the gestalt.

You will know him by his snoopy cap.

"SNOOPY CAP!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Wtf is a snoopy cap?

An adornable proxy for the disease that's kept Squadron in ICU for years.